No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    Newman is out - I am very sure he is. With P&W I dunno since BB and MGW are loyal to long-time collaborateurs ... the „Bond family“ so to speak. Could be that in the end there will be shared writing credit ...

But for the score I am 100% sure it won‘t be Newman again and would be more than happy with Arnold returning.

I'd be very happy to see the return of Arnold (and my gut's telling me that Newman is gone as well; however, I don't know about the relationship Newman and EoN had/have? Did they become fast friends and cement a loyal union? That's why I'm going to button my lip and not wager the house on Newman not returning until a new composer is announced).
    Risico007 wrote: »
    After all ignoring mr reddit it could be Boyle loved Purvis and Wade’s idea and brought Hodge in to rework the script so the final film writing credits would be
    Not sure what mr reddit has to say on the matter, but it was gossip columnist Baz Bamigboye's comments that alluded to Boyle and Hodge's pitch being an entirely fresh approach, not this reddit chap. Therefore, it would seem most unlikely that Boyle has even read the P&W script, never mind love it and want to rework it. For all intents and purposes, it would seem that the P&W script has been put aside for now. Whether it becomes the final chosen treatment will no doubt depend on how John Hodge's script pans out and is received.
    bondjames wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Unless I’m mistaken (I can’t recall the details) but I don’t believe Nolan ever inferred that he’d pitched his concept to EON, merely that they’d spoken (informally). Either way, I don’t believe someone in his position would do that. He doesn’t need to ‘pitch’ in the manner a Demange, or even a Boyle would. I believe the concept is something that is evolving in his mind and will be fully revealed to EON when (if) the time is right.
    I agree with you. I believe it was informal discussions prior to SP when they were still trying to get Mendes. I can't recall reading of any further discussions from any of the big and reputable sources since then.

--
    Regarding Boyle: I ask again for those who are familiar with his output and approach: Do you see this gelling well with Craig's style? Current Craig that is, and not Craig from 10 years ago? Does this seem like a good fit?

Regarding the entire story of Boyle: To those in the industry, does anything about this story seem unusual or strange to you? How common is it for something like this to happen at this stage, where a previously announced and familiar writing team (and possible director) are seemingly tossed out for a new concept? I would have thought that after about a year with the previous group that ideas had been formalized and vetted. Moreover, this Bond idea of Boyle's apparently originated in his head in 2012, and yet he only brought it up to them recently?

My point is, does this current Boyle narrative and how it came about seem plausible to you and what could have necessitated it?

What do we think about it being continuation? Is that dead and it's a standalone or is Boyle a genius and has come up with a way to dig them out of brothergate that is actually good which is what spurred them to tear up P&W's scribblings and say 'Go for it Danny'.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    I’ve said it before - I still don’t understand the now accepted view that ‘if’ Nolan does it, he’ll do a trilogy. If the guy has anything about him and is as savvy in his knowledge of the films as he claims then I don’t see why a trilogy is appealing. I would like to think that any Bond fan worth their salt understands that the films operate best in a standalone form - one that allows them to shift the tone, style, scale etc from film to film. It’s why the series is such a rich tapestry, with FRWL on one side and MR on the other.

I’m still convinced Nolan just has a singular vision for how he would do ‘his’ Bond film. A trilogy would insinuate an interconnected narrative, which however bold the idea may be, doesn’t sit well with me.

As a director surely you want to be known for making ‘that’ Bond film.
    And I still don´t understand how anybody at all can be so convinced that Nolan is even remotely qualified to make a Bond film.

Well if people who think making Blofeld Bond's stepbrother is a good idea are qualified then anyone is qualified.

It's sad if you've completely given up on the good in the world.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    bondsum wrote: »
    After all ignoring mr reddit it could be Boyle loved Purvis and Wade’s idea and brought Hodge in to rework the script so the final film writing credits would be
    Not sure what mr reddit has to say on the matter, but it was gossip columnist Baz Bamigboye's comments that alluded to Boyle and Hodge's pitch being an entirely fresh approach, not this reddit chap. Therefore, it would seem most unlikely that Boyle has even read the P&W script, never mind love it and want to rework it. For all intents and purposes, it would seem that the P&W script has been put aside for now. Whether it becomes the final chosen treatment will no doubt depend on how John Hodge's script pans out and is received.

Fairly certain the Reddit poster announced all of this before Baz. He even noted there was the Demange/P&W angle, and the Boyle/Hodge angle, and they'd go with one or the other. Don't think a Boyle/P&W was ever happening, but I could be wrong.

If Boyle is directing, I'd rather him get a script crafted by a longtime collaborator of his (makes it more likely it'll be standalone) than P&W making some SP continuation.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Fairly certain the Reddit poster announced all of this before Baz. He even noted there was the Demange/P&W angle, and the Boyle/Hodge angle, and they'd go with one or the other.
    Deadline.com reported all of that before the reddit poster.
    Fairly certain the Reddit poster announced all of this before Baz. He even noted there was the Demange/P&W angle, and the Boyle/Hodge angle, and they'd go with one or the other.
    Deadline.com reported all of that before the reddit poster.

Then I've got the timing of it all mixed up. The rest of what I said still stands, as I don't think a Boyle/P&W combination was ever in the cards.
  • Risico007 wrote: »
    I hate to be that guy but why are we assuming purvis wade and Newman are out of a job?

Purvis Wade and Hodge

We assume Boyle won’t use Newman cause we don’t like him but he could of loved his work or worse could love Eric Sierra

The thought occurred to me that it would be humorous (in a black humor sort of way) if, after all this fuss, Purvis & Wade were brought back to rewrite Hodge, a la the way they did with Logan for SPECTRE.

At the same time, I think it's less likely. Main difference: With SPECTRE they had done no work on the project until they were summoned back.

With Bond 25, they were called in early, did a script and, probably, will be found wanting. I say probably because if Craig really is pushing for Boyle (and his idea), that will be the proverbial thumb on the scale that swings the decision in favor of Boyle-Hodge.

That's not to say Hodge may be rewritten by someone else down the line. But after all this, I think it'd be really hard for it to be Purvis & Wade. Anyway, we'll see.
    I wonder if this will be the 'set-up' for the next actor as well, similar to how DAF set up the Rog era? I can't imagine, based on the evidence to date, that EON thinks that far ahead, but I'd like to hope so.
    I started going down the same line of thought. Depending on how the next few years shape up, there could be some valid comparisons to be made between the OHMSS/DAF/LALD and SP/B25/B26 trios, especially on the production side.

I think if the Boyle/Hodge thing is greenlit, it's less likely that B25 sets up the new era—providing that it lends a certain credence to them sweeping in at the last moment. DAF and the first pair of Moores at least had the same director and writer. I can't see Boyle/Hodge staying on. I think it's more likely (but still not necessarily likely) that the P&W draft functioned as a 'set-up' in this way.

Now there's a thought: what we've got it backwards, and the Boyle/Hodge idea isn't a standalone and can only be carried through now with DC's Bond, hence the squeeze? Meanwhile, the P&W script can be put on hold and perhaps used at a later date with a new Bond?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    peter wrote: »
    ha! I was very happy to be paid @TheWizardOfIce; and you're correct in thinking that this, on the surface, could be the same film. But film companies are loaded with lawyers to make sure charges of this type don't happen (that's why unsolicited material is never accepted).

I didn't watch CANDYMAN, but my story was, in essence, based on a childrens game/urban legend spooky story (at least known here in North America); but that was a hook to tell a "witch story". I'm assuming my original script looked nothing like CANYMAN's finished product.

I guess in the straight to video market these ideas get recycled endlessly and no one really cares that much.

Maybe if Dead Mary had broken the billion dollar mark then it might have been worth Candyman's lawyers getting involved.

I think you're right on the mark there, @TheWizardOfIce. But, at the same time (and I'm just guessing at this point), two films can have the same hook (look at the two volcano films in the 90s), but are very different.

I don t remember the titles, but there were actually four of those coming out at roughly the same time.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Volcano and Dante's Peak are the ones I know.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Strog wrote: »
    I wonder if this will be the 'set-up' for the next actor as well, similar to how DAF set up the Rog era? I can't imagine, based on the evidence to date, that EON thinks that far ahead, but I'd like to hope so.
    I started going down the same line of thought. Depending on how the next few years shape up, there could be some valid comparisons to be made between the OHMSS/DAF/LALD and SP/B25/B26 trios, especially on the production side.

I think if the Boyle/Hodge thing is greenlit, it's less likely that B25 sets up the new era—providing that it lends a certain credence to them sweeping in at the last moment. DAF and the first pair of Moores at least had the same director and writer. I can't see Boyle/Hodge staying on. I think it's more likely (but still not necessarily likely) that the P&W draft functioned as a 'set-up' in this way.

Now there's a thought: what we've got it backwards, and the Boyle/Hodge idea isn't a standalone and can only be carried through now with DC's Bond, hence the squeeze? Meanwhile, the P&W script can be put on hold and perhaps used at a later date with a new Bond?
    Honestly I was just thinking out (more hoping) aloud. Given the evidence to date I can't imagine they are planning that far ahead. I suppose the one area where we might see some transition when viewing SP/B25/B26 is on account of the writing change even if Hodge doesn't stay on for the next anniversary entry.

As I mentioned a few pages back I have become distinctly tired of P&W and notice a common thread running throughout their films. A certain familiarity which has become a bit boring, particularly when revisiting their films on a back to back viewing. It's to be expected with any writing team I suppose, and was arguably there in the classic era as well. So just as GE seemed fresh and new while still harkening back to the past due to new writers, I expect something similar of B25 with Hodge. I just imagine he will bring his own spin to what he understands as 'Bond essence'.

You could be onto something about the stillborn P&W draft serving as a future script base. However, from what I remember reading and learning from members here, that script was written as an end to the Craig Bond, so I'm not sure how well it will work for a new man.

Call it a sixth sense, but I think there is another shoe left to drop. Not sure what, when or where, but something isn't adding up for me. I await an official announcement in the next few months with keen interest, so I can put these thoughts to rest either way.
    Pervert & Waste will alway be part of the "Bond family" and are only out, when they retire.

Mark my words. We haven't heard the last of them.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Pervert & Waste
    :))
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Pervert & Waste will alway be part of the "Bond family" and are only out, when they retire.

Mark my words. We haven't heard the last of them.

I think it’s going to be a script written by them and polished by Hodges

Fairly certain the Reddit poster announced all of this before Baz. He even noted there was the Demange/P&W angle, and the Boyle/Hodge angle, and they'd go with one or the other. Don't think a Boyle/P&W was ever happening, but I could be wrong.

If Boyle is directing, I'd rather him get a script crafted by a longtime collaborator of his (makes it more likely it'll be standalone) than P&W making some SP continuation.

Why is everybody so concerned with a potential continuation? They built a much stronger basis in CR and QOS, only to completely ignore it in SF and then rape it in SP, so it would be the most natural thing in the world for Bond25 to ignore what came before, especially the bad stuff.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883

Why is everybody so concerned with a potential continuation? They built a much stronger basis in CR and QOS, only to completely ignore it in SF and then rape it in SP, so it would be the most natural thing in the world for Bond25 to ignore what came before, especially the bad stuff.
    I'm personally not worried about it, but would argue that the CR to QoS scenario was very different from what they concocted in the last film, which was more far reaching & all encompassing.

The earlier situation was about Bond searching for answers to Vesper's betrayal, which led him to Quantum. The organization was already introduced in CR anyway, courtesy of White. It was a 'Vesper story arc'. Furthermore, the film came out a mere 2 years later and then we had the long break.

In the last film in contrast they went so far as to tie absolutely everything in the Craig era to date together under the guise of an 'all knowing' chief bad with whom Bond had a family history. That's 10+ years and 4 films of history. So it became more 'The Bond arc'.

When I watch CR these days, it's difficult not to think of Waltz or even Seydoux. Believe me such thoughts aren't welcome and soil the viewing experience. The same goes for viewing SF, although the connection is more tenuous there, thanks to Silva's revenge motive being so well captured by a highly charismatic Bardem.

It's a question of narrative credibility for this iteration and era. That's why I'm personally very curious to see what they come up with. I think they will at least have to acknowledge the events of SP somewhere. Just ignoring it and making a 'stub entry' isn't going to help with future viewings of the set. There has to be some consequence. Some pathos. I can't see Craig going out without that.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/929859/James-Bond-25-Bond-girl-Lily-James-Daniel-Craig-Danny-Boyle-All-You-Need-Is-Love/amp

I call this speculation but she is quite beautiful but I haven't anything with her so would she make a great final bond girl for craig? My money's still on scarlett johansson.
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/929859/James-Bond-25-Bond-girl-Lily-James-Daniel-Craig-Danny-Boyle-All-You-Need-Is-Love/amp

I call this speculation but she is quite beautiful but I haven't anything with her so would she make a great final bond girl for craig? My money's still on scarlett johansson.
    Again, I think this is an actress better placed to play his daughter or something. They have to find some more mature choices.

She would make a fantastic Bond girl in general though. Perhaps for B26.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA

Again, I think this is an actress better placed to play his daughter or something. They have to find some more mature choices.

She would make a fantastic Bond girl in general though. Perhaps for B26.

Agree I still want johansson despite her being in high demand right now but I would also love to see Salma Hayak.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Yes to Lily James as a Bond Girl, or even Moneypenny, but not with Craig. We will have reached Moore in AVTAK territory (some think we have already) if it happens.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    We may have write Villeneuve off for B26 too, if timing intrudes once more.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/03/09/denis-villeneuve-wants-2-dune-movies/

Hopefully Nolan will do B26 and B27 & B28

If on Monday they announced B25 with Boyle and then a Nolan trilogy in 2022, 2024 and 2026 I'd be more than happy.

If they went on to say that they had taken out an injunction banning P&W and Newman from coming within half a mile of EON HQ I'd probably shoot my wad.

I don't love Nolan--his films are too ponderous and self-serious for me, every single one--but if we must have him as a director for a Bond trilogy, give us the new OHMSS/YOLT/TMWTGG, d*mn it!

I mean, "concern" (if you want to even call it that) is viable for those of us who weren't impressed by SP and don't want to see that continued. No harm in that.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    .. and let the speculation begin... If we're to take these rags seriously, can't they for once make it seem like a realistic possibility? This actress is indeed beautiful, but, and especially, in this #metoo world, let's get someone age appropriate and mature (this Cara Delevigne nonsense has to stop).

Salma Hayek is beautiful and looks younger than her 51 years. I'm just suspect of her talent.

A Kate Beckinsale type (beautiful, physical and can act).
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited March 2018 Posts: 5,961
    Someone else has mentioned this, but something like a Nobody Lives Forever "most dangerous game" scenario would be interesting and a departure for a Bond film. Hmm...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I'm personally not worried about it, but would argue that the CR to QoS scenario was very different from what they concocted in the last film, which was more far reaching & all encompassing.

The earlier situation was about Bond searching for answers to Vesper's betrayal, which led him to Quantum. The organization was already introduced in CR anyway, courtesy of White. It was a 'Vesper story arc'. Furthermore, the film came out a mere 2 years later and then we had the long break.

In the last film in contrast they went so far as to tie absolutely everything in the Craig era to date together under the guise of an 'all knowing' chief bad with whom Bond had a family history. That's 10+ years and 4 films of history. So it became more 'The Bond arc'.

When I watch CR these days, it's difficult not to think of Waltz or even Seydoux. Believe me such thoughts aren't welcome and soil the viewing experience. The same goes for viewing SF, although the connection is more tenuous there, thanks to Silva's revenge motive being so well captured by a highly charismatic Bardem.

It's a question of narrative credibility for this iteration and era. That's why I'm personally very curious to see what they come up with. I think they will at least have to acknowledge the events of SP somewhere. Just ignoring it and making a 'stub entry' isn't going to help with future viewings of the set. There has to be some consequence. Some pathos. I can't see Craig going out without that.

Blofeld in drag, with lipstick, eyeshade and a wig doesn t distract from the faceless Blofeld in FRWL/TB, does it? Even though it is supposed to be him.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited March 2018 Posts: 8,484

Blofeld in drag, with lipstick, eyeshade and a wig doesn t distract from the faceless Blofeld in FRWL/TB, does it? Even though it is supposed to be him.

"That's a bingo!"
    .. and let the speculation begin... If we're to take these rags seriously, can't they for once make it seem like a realistic possibility? This actress is indeed beautiful, but, and especially, in this #metoo world, let's get someone age appropriate and mature (this Cara Delevigne nonsense has to stop).

Salma Hayek is beautiful and looks younger than her 51 years. I'm just suspect of her talent.

A Kate Beckinsale type (beautiful, physical and can act).

I just cannot figure out why she's promoted or hinted at for so many movies: every single thing I've caught her in, she was terrible. It's the same thing as people still casting Rihanna in movies. I'll never understand it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    yes @Creasy, feels like more stunt casting now, than actual casting.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Another question. Does it seem plausible that Boyle can get this other project over and done with and get moving directly on Bond thereafter? Does that make sense from a scheduling and timing perspective, or is it cutting it very thin?

Well.....https://www.google.com/amp/s/decider.com/2015/06/11/steven-spielberg-jurassic-park-schindlers-list-1993/amp/
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Victor Fleming directed GONE WITH THE WIND and THE WIZARD OF OZ (two massive and problematic undertakings, if you know anything of the Golden Era of Hollywood) in the same year (albeit with some high powered assistance). Boyle should be able to handle two projects such as this. Particularly as EON (as with O'Selznik in 1939) has its own production team that can do much of the location work (as per usual with these films) in Boyle's absence.
    That's a reasonable question to ask @bondjames. I'm willing to take a stab at Boyle's longtime collaborator John Hodge being the main man that's pulling it all together, so I highly doubt that Boyle working on All You Need Is Love this summer will detract too much from B25. I'm also willing to surmise that the Richard Curtis musical will be a pretty small-scale affair with a short production schedule that's typically associated with a lot of these British productions today. Therefore, if and when their B25 treatment gets the green light, then I'm sure Boyle will be ready to move into the pre-production stage of setting up the movie. Clearly, Boyle has the appetite for it, otherwise he wouldn't have put his idea forward.
    Thanks gents. That's very interesting and reassuring. I was not aware that Spielberg made those two giant entries in the same year, and similarly Victor Fleming. It's true also that the Curtis musical isn't all that large of a project.

@bondjames

Just to add to what everyone else has said, but from Boyle's own history. He shot STEVE JOBS from mid-January to mid-April 2015, and had it edited and ready to go to Telluride on September 5th that year (less than 8 months from start of filming). Similarly, 127 HOURS started filming in March of 2010, and premiered at TIFF in September of that year (6 months). So he obviously is a pretty efficient filmmaker.

And I suspect, as you and others do, that the Curtis film is probably small scale, as well. I get the feeling it's more a compact story that uses music, rather than a large Hollywood-style musical.