The NHL Thread

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    @Creasy47, I was never worried about the Pens... I think they were playing rope-a-dope for the first part of the season; that the powers-that-be know they have the talent to have been in the play-off picture, or just on the bubble, without over-exertion.

This is a team that won two years in a row and accumulated many miles on their bodies... They had to play this way to store energy...

But come January, they turned the switch and they're locking onto play-off mode. However, this injury to Murray is a cog in the wheels.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @peter, no I was talking about the Blackhawks with that comment. The Pens have been like that for the last few years - takes them a while to click with their chemistry and find the proper lines, and the latter half of their season is almost always much better than the former half. Come December/January, they tend to turn it around, aside from these past three (and likely fourth, given the way this Islanders game's going) games.

Not sure what they're doing in practices but they need to tune it down. Want to say it's the second time in the last year that Murray has been out for a while due to an injury sustained during practice.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Gotcha, @Creasy47 ... terrible news about Murray. The Pens are the team I will be rooting for (unless, of course, Toronto does the unthinkable and downs either Boston or TB in the first round).
    edited March 2018 Posts: 40,372
    peter wrote: »
    Gotcha, @Creasy47 ... terrible news about Murray. The Pens are the team I will be rooting for (unless, of course, Toronto does the unthinkable and downs either Boston or TB in the first round).

I wouldn't count Toronto out just yet, they've been looking incredible lately for sure. I almost loathe how the playoffs work because you're guaranteed to typically have two of the best teams going head to head in the first or second round. Can't imagine what a TB/Boston or TB/Toronto Stanley Cup Finals could look like.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    We're on our way to Pittsburgh Tampa Bay East finals. Washington will choke again. Pittsburgh is a squirrelly bunch and will always find their way in regardless of how many injuries they have. The West is a crapshoot I could see either Las Vegas Nashville or Winnipeg getting into Cup finals
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Creasy47, I don't know why the NHL changed the play-off format! It used to be Seed 1 faced off against Seed 8; 2 vs 7, and so on. It's a reward for the top teams to finish as the top (and out of that, you could get some classic upsets when a David would slay a Goliath)

@Last_Rat_Standing I agree; if I was betting, PP vs TB in the East... and yes, the West with LV (!!!!!!!-- no one saw that coming!!!), Nashville or the 'Peg.
    @Creasy47

Yes I remember that 10-1 game. Fun night for me, but of course all downhill since then. Hard to say what the problem is. As a Hawks fan, Crawford is a really frustrating goalie. He is too inconsistent to be elite, but he can have really good games.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    yes, @FoxRox -- that's my feeling with Crawford. It's the inconsistencies that have always made me feel like he was the weak-link inside the Powerhouse.

Saying that, being a goalie's the toughest position: you're alone between the pipes. I played the position ONCE: and I got nailed in the cup on the first shot.

Never again.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    @Creasy47

Yes I remember that 10-1 game. Fun night for me, but of course all downhill since then. Hard to say what the problem is. As a Hawks fan, Crawford is a really frustrating goalie. He is too inconsistent to be elite, but he can have really good games.

At least they just had a nice little turnaround against the Kings! Think the Kings were up 2-0 or 3-0 at one point I looked, then saw the Blackhawks come back to win.

Thank hell the Pens won; such a close game, they were decimating on the ice but was yet another instance where they put a ton of shots on net and weren't getting much. 50th shot was the clincher in overtime, wild.
    Nice. Looked like interesting games there!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Florida!!! 6 in a row. 1 point back of 8th and 4 back of 7th with 3 games in hand. We're here to burn down your village.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes, Florida’s been on fire. I think if they get into the playoffs (more n more likely), they could do some serious damage; they’ve found their stride at the right time of the year.

Remember it was only a few short years ago when LA was dead last in their division. They got into the playoffs via their last game of the season.

I think they may’ve swept their first two series on the way to winning the Cup.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Going to the game tonight (Pens at Toronto)-- first time I will be seeing Sidney Crosby live. I've got the butterflies, very excited to watch. The main thing I'm anxious to see is what Crosby does WITHOUT the puck (something you can't pick off from the TV); what he's doing without the puck will tell the story of what type of player this guy is.

Unfortunately I think Mathews is still injured (and why rush him back? We're comfortably in the playoffs, although not a comfortable spot (Round One: Boston)).

Going to the game tonight (Pens at Toronto)-- first time I will be seeing Sidney Crosby live. I've got the butterflies, very excited to watch. The main thing I'm anxious to see is what Crosby does WITHOUT the puck (something you can't pick off from the TV); what he's doing without the puck will tell the story of what type of player this guy is.

Unfortunately I think Mathews is still injured (and why rush him back? We're comfortably in the playoffs, although not a comfortable spot (Round One: Boston)).

I'm excited for you, hope you have a good time! I finally got to see them play live a couple of years ago in Washington - was the last time they faced Washington that season and lost, before they went on to win their first of back-to-back Cups. Was so thrilling, you really do pick up on so much more being at the game than you do watching it on TV.

I'll be watching it tonight; if you get the opportunity, jump the glass and sprint across the ice so I know it's you!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Thanks @Creasy47 , if not jumping the glass, I’ll do the strip trease in the aisle during play stoppage— always a great way to get on the highlights!
    Until Kessel lays you out.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Ha! What a way to go down on a Saturday night in Toronto
    Until Kessel lays you out.

Then steals all the hot dogs he ordered.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    it's amazing; could you imagine how great he'd be if he actually trained and kept up his nutrition?
    It always amazes me how fast he is on the ice considering he's not the most lean player.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Genetic lottery. I think his dad was a pro football player.
    Imagine what Phil will look like in retirement!
    @peter, with genuine sincerity, hope you are having a blast - you picked a good game to see live! Was hopeful after Dumoulin made it 3-1, just for it to be overruled, turned into a penalty, and lead to a 4-0 score. Shut the game off there, had my fill tonight sadly!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Thanks @Creasy!! ; Crosby made it interesting. Scored a beauty; Pens pulled the goalie twice . Striking distance, making it 4-2 until old man Marleau scores the empty netter.

Great to see it live, and Toronto has defensive breakdowns which may not be so apparent on TV. They’re too shy, don’t take the man enough or rub bodies out (which the Pens did very well); the shots differential show something is up here; another game we gave up 40 shots.

Andersen is a monster.

And, of course, our firepower up front is deadly.
    I'm 90% sure Susan Sarandon is assisting in the commentating for this Pens/Rangers game for some reason.
    I just turned it on. I'm trying to figure out who it is.
    Confirmed: it's definitely her. I'm guessing she's a hockey fan, but she sounds totally clueless about the game. It's a bit jarring, actually, as the other announcers aren't really focusing on the game and just discussing her and what she thinks of hockey. Ahh well.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Well boys, it’s upon us, the chase for the Holy Grail, Lord Stanley’s Cup! Anyone here want a three-peat? And realistically, do you think it could be done?
    Well boys, it’s upon us, the chase for the Holy Grail, Lord Stanley’s Cup! Anyone here want a three-peat? And realistically, do you think it could be done?

You know I do! Realistically I'd say they've got less of a chance than they did the previous two years, though. Trade deadline moves didn't help, and Murray isn't as hot this season as he was previously. However, they made it, held second place in the Metro Division, so I have to remain optimistic. I think their true issues will arise when facing teams like Boston/Tampa Bay/Nashville, but time will tell.

Who do you foresee going up against Toronto in the first round, @peter? Think Boston is going to win tonight?
    I’m sticking with the Tampa Bay Lightning to win the Cup this year.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I’m hoping Boston wins tonight @Creasy47 ! I don’t want to play them in the first round. They have that intangible swagger right now; tough as nails, Rask, Chara, Bergeron. They will hurt you physically and keep coming for more. They’re peaking and I see them going deep.

Sorry @FoxRox ... I think Toronto can take Tampa in six or seven!

I think the Leafs are a season away from going far, but then again, I am underestimating Babcock, Mathews, Marner, Nylander, kadri, Bozak and Andersen.

I want to see Crosby defy the odds and get the three-peat! Then I want to see the Leafs get a crack at the Cup!