ALIEN Franchise

Comments

@Creasy47, oh sure, just read what he says here:
    http://collider.com/ridley-scott-blade-runner-2049-criticism/

Among other things he claims to know what he´s doing :-)).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited December 2017 Posts: 45,489
    I will take Scott over Blomkamp any day.

As for his assessment of BR49, totally disagree.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Other than District 9 I find Blomkamp's films a bit of a chore to get through.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'll take Scott over Blomkamp as a director, but in terms of ideas and the future of this franchise, I'd elect the latter. Scott just doesn't have the magic he once did with this series.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,102
    https://screenrant.com/alien-covenant-sequel-canceled/

Oh well that seems to be the end of that, though not convinced by the source
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'll take Scott over Blomkamp as a director, but in terms of ideas and the future of this franchise, I'd elect the latter. Scott just doesn't have the magic he once did with this series.

I agree 100% but the fan-boy , Aliens lover in me wants to see Blonkamp’s alternate timeline featuring Riley, Hicks and Newt!

A shame if true, but I am not convinced, either.

Can't say I'm upset at all by this. Spares me sitting through another forgettable installment in a couple of years. Maybe they'll hit the drawing board and give us another spin on it all eventually with a new director.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Can't say I'm upset at all by this. Spares me sitting through another forgettable installment in a couple of years. Maybe they'll hit the drawing board and give us another spin on it all eventually with a new director.

I would have liked or would like to see one last film to tie it all up, that's the completionist in me. Perhaps they could do a lower budget old school horror film, so many tent pole blockbusters needlessly flush money away no wonder many lose money.
    How many have read the comic book adaptation of the first film by Archie Goodwin and Walt Simonson? I bought it when it came out and still own it. It s awesome, even better than the film.
    179c3cd5f024247fd94492895e0b7a5a.jpg
  • I have not, but I kinda want to track down a copy now.

(And I love that Conrad quote!)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Thunderfinger
    I am the proud owner of a copy and while I disagree it's better than the film (two different media and all that) I will agree that it is absolutely awesome.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,102
    Ridley Scott wants to make more Alien movies with Disney – and he already knows what he wants to do with the next one

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/alien/news/a846768/ridley-scott-wants-more-alien-movies-with-disney/
    Ridley Scott wants to make more Alien movies with Disney – and he already knows what he wants to do with the next one

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/alien/news/a846768/ridley-scott-wants-more-alien-movies-with-disney/

Interesting? Seeing what I have read about Covenant, although I have not seen it myself yet?
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Interesting? Seeing what I have read about Covenant, although I have not seen it myself yet?

I have issues with Covenant though IMO I would like the arc of the new films completed with a third film.
    I really hope it gets made. I am intrigued by that planet and what went on there.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I really hope it gets made. I am intrigued by that planet and what went on there.

Absolutely, I also read soemthing yesterday that Scott wants to make a third Blade runner film and that he has an idea for it.

So ambitious for his age
    RogueAgent wrote: »

I have issues with Covenant though IMO I would like the arc of the new films completed with a third film.
    For that purpose it would have been helpful if Covenant would have somehow continued the story of Prometheus.

What makes you think they´d go back there? Especially after the way they picked up Dr. Shaw´s story in Covenant?

It was always Scott s intention that the third film in the new trilogy would take place between the first and second.
    Irrespective of positives and negatives I hope a third film gets made.
  • neonmartinineonmartini Classified
    I am an Alien Fan and I actually have an account on a forum that talks about the franchise over there, I saw Prometheus when it came out in the theaters but I was introduced to the franchise via AVP. (I know, poor choice of movie) Aliens is my favorite and Im still waiting on Alien 5. Some people actually made references to James Bond on that forum actually
    edited March 2018 Posts: 70
    Covenant was a major letdown though. That I could say shamelessly
    edited March 2018 Posts: 40,368
    Covenant was a major letdown though. That I could say shamelessly

I wasn't crazy about Prometheus when I first saw it, but I've quite warmed to it over the years. Alien: Covenant on the other hand, that first viewing was enough for me. Doubt I'll ever see it again - which for me is saying something, as I've seen Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection several times over the years.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Alien and Aliens are classics, near perfect movies even.
    Alien³ takes some getting used to but is a vastly underrated film.
    Resurrection is goofy, at times flat-out boring and nonsensical, but I can appreciate some of what it delivers.
    Prometheus looks great but lacks originality in almost every possible way.
    AvP and AvP2 are guilty pleasures of mine. I can't help but enjoy myself when watching them.

Covenant, when revisited by me, will have to work hard to get me to say such nice things about it.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Resurrection is goofy, at times flat-out boring and nonsensical, but I can appreciate some of what it delivers.
    AvP and AvP2 are guilty pleasures of mine. I can't help but enjoy myself when watching them.

Covenant, when revisited by me, will have to work hard to get me to say such nice things about it.

I know they're likely trying to avoid retreading old ground, but I wish they would get back to more of a nightmarish horror feel like they once had with the original; cut out all the Engineer backstory, the stuff with David (that so many love), etc. I know you can't replicate Alien again, but give me a crew with fantastic chemistry, brilliant and practical set design, and a Xenomorph or two, all on one ship out in space, and I'll be sold. Or hell, pull a Leviathan and send them underwater. I just want a more straight-forward plot is all, something much more tension-filled and less filled with CGI and grand twists.
    I bought Alien Covenant on 4K as well as a HD Digital download, in 4K it is good to look at and I really don't mind the first act though the rest of the film gets worse as it progresses. What story the film has just is not great, the film neither commits to being a sequel to Promethesus and it's a half hearted Alien prequel.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

Wow, I agree with your entire assessment of the A L I E N franchise. For me, Alien 3 stands alongside the first two as a classic in its own right and I actually like it even better than Aliens, but I understand that's not a very popular opinion of this deeply under-appreciated film. (And I have trouble associating the word "pleasure" with AvP2, but the first one is a good popcorn-muncher.)
    edited March 2018 Posts: 70
    I know this might've been posted in the thread but it looks like this xenomorph dressed up as someone we all know and love...
    367731-21307-128579-1-aliens-special.jpg

I'm sorry! I couldn't resist!
    I know this might've been posted in the thread but this looks like someone we all know and love...
    367731-21307-128579-1-aliens-special.jpg

I'm sorry! I couldn't resist!

A black Bond? Forget about it!