Chat Thread - Free Discussion

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Just tuned in for a bit, and it is an awful spectacle. It is because of my lifelong love of film and film history that I can't stomach this dreck. The Oscars have always been political, but at least they were spontaneous and wacky back in the '70s. The things I liked best, honoring Hollywood and filmdom's rootsroots, has basically disappeared from the program.

Even when someone finally gets on stage to accept an award and speak, they're ushered off in 30 seconds, so they can make way for more gags and jokes and meme worthy pranks and whatnot. No wonder the whole thing lasts 90 hours.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 6,682
    God the Oscars is ancient and painful to watch.
    They feel so self-important.

FoxRox wrote: »
    I will cry when I see Roger Moore in the In Memoriam segment.
    That segment is the main thing I'm looking forward to.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    @mattjoes I am bemused by the whole ceremony
    ROGER DEAKINS!!!!!!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Congratulations to Roger Deakins about time.
    Most deserved Oscar of the night, no matter what else happens.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Couldn't agree more.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Very happy for him

Agree when you look at his previous work, though 2049 was superb and deserved reward for that alone.
    It made the day for me!
    This is a travesty, Greenwood deserves that oscar

Seen both. Glad for Shape of Water, though Greenwood also had an excellent score.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Saw Phantom Thread today. Magnificent film and a phenomenal score. Agreed he should have gotten it.

Congratulations to Deakins for a well deserved honour. He should have won for his exceptional work on SF as well, among many others.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,105
    The incessant diversity reteric is tiresome, the Academy are going overboard trying to compensate for there archaic ignorance.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I'm glad I'm not watching it. Currently viewing Zimmer live in concert from Prague on PBS. Great stuff. Checking the Oscars on the laptop concurrently.
    The incessant diversity reteric is tiresome, the Academy are going overboard trying to compensate for there archaic ignorance.

I know I hate that. But it’s been there for years now.
    I'm not watching either...I'm a Dem but have become more moderate with age and feel Hollywood and nighttime talk shows for the most part have become too liberal/political/socially conscious for my taste.
    That was a nice touch for Roger, the bond James Bond from FYEO

I know I hate that. But it’s been there for years now.

I find it Shallow though I think the majority of people on the show know how shallow it is.
    Hollywood is definitely too left-wing for my liking. Too far either way on the political spectrum bugs me.
    Hollywood is definitely too left-wing for my liking. Too far either way on the political spectrum bugs me.

The older generation of Hollywood are in a superficial bubble that's bursting.
    Wow Best Director Del Torro awesome
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 6,682
    Ugh, if only I had cable...

In the public broadcast in my country, they cut to commercial and when they came back, Desplat was already in the middle of his speech.

The In Memoriam segment felt kind of rushed. I seem to remember the BAFTAs handling these things better. Nice touch with Sir Roger, though.

And once again... back from commercial, Emma Stone already on stage, opening the envelope.
    Del To-ro, Del To-ro!!!!!

Good stuff.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Ugh, if only I had cable...

In the public broadcast in my country, they cut to commercial and when they came back, Desplat was already in the middle of his speech.

The In Memoriam segment felt kind of rushed. I seem to remember the BAFTAs handling these things better. Nice touch with Sir Roger, though.

And once again... back from commercial, Emma Stone already on stage, opening the envelope.

In Memoriam was very brief think the show is being rushed now.
    I've no idea how old Jane Fonda is
    If Gary oldman beats out Day Lewis I’m actually going to throw up
    If Gary oldman beats out Day Lewis I’m actually going to throw up

I think he will. Haven’t seen Darkest Hour but Day Lewis was fantastic.
    Well screw me
    Well it is Gary Oldman. He has an amazing body of work, and Day Lewis does have 3 Oscars.