The NHL Thread

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    Ah. Got it, @Last_Rat_Standing

What's the minor hockey situation in Florida? Are the hockey rinks few and far? Or are they popping up more and more? Did/do you play?
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I played roller through high school. The nearest league ice rink is about an hour away. Major cities have some. We have two minor league teams in Florida. Both ECHL in Orlando and Ft. Myers.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The best thing about where I live, we have an ice rink, literally, across the street. By the time my boy was three, he was on a pair of skates. He started playing in a league by five, and still going strong now (he's turning sixteen). I've been happily by his side as his coach for a number of years-- we've won championships, we've lost championship matches, we've been through the ups and downs the great sport has to offer... It's an amazing game.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    This summer flew by - feels like just yesterday I was watching the Finals, and now we're a little over two weeks away from the preseason. Looking forward to it.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Im not ready for another mediocre season from Florida. Hope my mind changes in the coming weeks
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Last_Rat_Standing I think all indications are they will be better this year... They've got class goal-tending, Boughner as new coach (long time D-man who'll be able to work on responsibility with the puck), they got rid of Jagr (bless that man's longevity)... So I expect them to have more hop and be more competitive.
    I'm still getting used to (American) football being back. I'll give it a little time to build my enthusiasm for the NHL's return.
    Seasons back. So lets restart the conversation shall we?
    Seasons back. So lets restart the conversation shall we?

My Pens had a real close game last night!

In all seriousness, not sure if it's the three or four veteran players they lost,or Fleury, but I've had real bad vibes about the team this year. I know it's only two games in but I'm infinitely less confident about the goaltending pairing this year. We'll see how it goes.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Toronto is looking dynamite... then again Winnipeg let three guys stand in front of their net at any given time during the game...
    I haven't watched much with the NFL and MLB playoffs. I'm going to the Panthers home opener tomorrow
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    my wild got beat last night in Detroit don't know what happened there but its a long season so glad hockey is back
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    my wild got beat last night in Detroit don't know what happened there but its a long season so glad hockey is back

Same, it was desperately missed. Nice having a new team thrown into the mix, too.
    More than halfway through the season and who would have thought how well Vegas is doing. A part of me is bitter because we had alot of the same pieces in Florida only two seasons ago. They fired the coach, let two great goal scorers in Reilly Smith and Marchesaullt (SP) basically walk to Vegas. Dumb decisions by Florida basically is one of the main reasons for their success.

I've been phoned out for most of the season. Not watching many games, only have gone to two. My heart is just not into it this season.
    @Creasy47 @peter

How you guys holding up this season?
    @Creasy47 @peter

How you guys holding up this season?

It's been back and forth, for sure. Just like the past two seasons, wasn't the hottest start for the Pens, but as soon as January hit, they started to really turn things around. I'm worried now because they've lost their last three (8-4 beating by the Bruins last night), and this all started (after a beautiful 5 game win streak) upon them trading Reaves and Cole to the Senators for Brassard, right before the trade deadline.

I fear they went for more scoring and gave up one of their best defenseman for it, and it's really going to cost them. I'm just hoping it's a fluke and they'll find their new chemistry shortly.

How about you? The Pens first of three losses in these last few games was by your team, that was a pretty solid game to watch, Florida was looking sharp.
    I was at that game last Saturday against Pittsburgh. The Murray injury came at the worst time since basing it off last night against Boston showed that your backups aren't the best.

As for Florida, last night was 4 in a row against teams in Playoff positions. WSH, PIT, TOR, NJ. We have what it takes to squeak into the 8th spot. We have the games in hand. They need to take advantage.
    I was at that game last Saturday against Pittsburgh. The Murray injury came at the worst time since basing it off last night against Boston showed that your backups aren't the best.

As for Florida, last night was 4 in a row against teams in Playoff positions. WSH, PIT, TOR, NJ. We have what it takes to squeak into the 8th spot. We have the games in hand. They need to take advantage.

Yeah the backups have been a bit inconsistent this season. Losing Fleury hurt a lot, just can't rely on these guys as much. I knew things weren't looking good when Murray sustained that concussion in practice.

Hadn't checked the rest of the scores yet this morning, happy to see Florida took them down. You guys are looking great lately, says something when they're flying through playoff teams, especially of that ilk. Thanks for beating the Devils! They would've tied the Pens for the third spot in the Metro Division last night had they won; happy to see the Flyers lose, too, though I'm always happy seeing that.
    Not me about the Flyers. If Florida is going to make a run, we need the Hurricanes, Islanders, and especially Columbus to falter down the stretch
    Not me about the Flyers. If Florida is going to make a run, we need the Hurricanes, Islanders, and especially Columbus to falter down the stretch

They've been on quite the roll lately so I knew they were bound to looser sooner or later. I'm really on vying for it now since the Caps, Flyers, Pens, and Devils are all within just two or three points of one another overall. Every game and every point really matters now.

Crazy to think we've got less than 20 games to go per team this season. Totally flew by.
    I started to lose interest early in the season, but after new years is when I started watching again. It'll be interesting to see how the Metro pans out being so close
    I’ve just sort of tuned out lately since my team has gone so far down the tubes. I’ll try to follow again come playoff time.
    It's understandable. Went through a similar streak when the Pens had accumulated several losses in a row around November/December and weren't looking like they'd peak and dominate anytime soon. Now I'm back to that same sinking feeling. I just really hope it's a fluke they're going through and they're awaiting these newer lines to start clicking and finding that chemistry, but who knows.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Hey @Creasy47 and @Last_Rat_Standing, I'm obviously very happy with the way Toronto has been re-building. We have the best record in the NHL for the past six weeks (prior to that, the kids had hit a funk and our goalie Andersen called them out in the papers; since then, we've been on fire).

However, we either will play Boston or Tampa Bay in the First Round... Not good. But a learning experience for the kids.

Since this won't be the Leafs year, I am still rooting that Murray can get healthy and the Pens make it a three-peat... Then I'll be ready for next season and expect the Leafs to go very deep.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @FoxRox who's your team?
    Personally I thought this was the year that Toronto would make some playoff noise. Last year loss to Washington should have been the practice that they needed to take the next step. Only problem is that Boston and Tampa are just as good this season.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Bingo, @Last_Rat_Standing, and I think they became that much better at the trade deadline. Toronto beat the Bruins and the Bruins went out to get Nash.

Something we have, time. TBL hafta do it this year-- they have some big contracts coming up this and next year and won't be able to afford everyone.

I'm going to the game next Saturday vs the Pens-- great game. Hopefully Auston Mathews will be back.
    @peter Chicago Blackhawks. I am a fan of Chicago and Baltimore sports teams.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @FoxRox ... ah, yes... love Captain Toews. I have faith in Bowman Jr, the GM. He'll make the necessary changes, as he's always done, over the off-season. Chicago will be back soon enough... Still, I can't believe they're last in their division... What'd you think the problem was this year?

(I've always been suspect, without good reason, by the way, of Crawford not being an NHL elite goalie... but, like I said, it's nothing he's done... )
    peter wrote: »
    @FoxRox ... ah, yes... love Captain Toews. I have faith in Bowman Jr, the GM. He'll make the necessary changes, as he's always done, over the off-season. Chicago will be back soon enough... Still, I can't believe they're last in their division... What'd you think the problem was this year?

(I've always been suspect, without good reason, by the way, of Crawford not being an NHL elite goalie... but, like I said, it's nothing he's done... )

I've wondered the same regarding the Blackhawks this season, though I haven't followed them too closely. One of their first games of this season was that 10-1 walloping they dealt to the Penguins, curious what went wrong as the months progressed.