No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Well the Boyle musical shoots in the summer, so I guess it's still plausible for him to wrap that up and move to B25, but who knows. I just hope that if they still have an eye on Boyle they aren't going to delay yet again another year just to await him.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Danny Boyle looks like Green Goblin, a little.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 5,767
    I have a feeling it would be best not to waste a thought on Bond 25 until it is officially announced to be actually happening.

Not sure if I can keep my fingers off this thread...
    boldfinger wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    DAD over SP I can understand a little, but DAD over SF? I just can’t follow at all.
    One of my biggest problems with SF is that after the pts the tempo goes down so much, and the storytelling meanders so broadly, I simply don´t get attracted. M writing obituary, ok. M summoned to headmaster, yeah ok, if some tension would have been built out of that. But no, the next thing is the explosion, ok, explosion is always tense and ramps things up. But then, next scene, again tempo to zero, Bond on the beach. Come on. Ok, now Bond is motivated again and goes home, promising the next gear. But no, personal evaluation, including the preposterous alleged childhood trauma, which in the further proceedings has absolutely no relevance. This is just amazingly bad storytelling, constantly trying to push me away instead of luring me in.
    DAD is dumb, but the story flows and invites me in, and as I said, DAD is a perfect persiflage of a Bond film and doesn´t pretentiously try to be anything else.

I dunno how to break this to you, but a deliberate, measured pace isn't bad storytelling. You are too used to rapid fire Hollywood ADD pacing.
    They simply can't find a director & the clock is ticking.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 6,682
    I kind of agree with @boldfinger on Skyfall. I find the scenes he mentioned interesting in and of themselves, but in terms of flow, they don't generate enough dramatic momentum and tension.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 725
    Tuck91 wrote: »

Why not? People should be lining up to direct Bond.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 9,730
    Yahn wins out it seems
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Tuck91 wrote: »

Why not? People should be lining up to direct Bond.

That suggests the old days, where you approached it as pretty much a clean slate. Nowadays not only are they painted into a narrative corner, but they have to keep Craig happy, which isn't easy based on what he's looking for. Just remember Sam Mendes was someone Dan got on with very well, and had worked together before yet they still managed to fall out on SP. Imagine the kind of reception a Yan Demange would be greeted to.
    RC7 wrote: »
    You have zero information about B25 and a minute slither about SP. I could tell you some very interesting facts regarding SP that would light up this forum. The leaks have you deluded, Sir, but then as they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. You’re testament to that.
    What on Earth are you smoking? No, we all have more than zero information about B25. We all know that more than 2 years after the release of Spectre, EON still hasn't hired the director of Bond 25 yet, and they still don't have a finished script they are happy with.

As for your "interesting facts" about Spectre, you have two choices: man up and tell us what you know, or keep acting like a 5 year old teasing others saying "I know this secret but I won't tell you what it is!!".
    Word from Baz is that Boyle's film will shoot this summer...

We knew that Danny had a musical in the works at Working Title already. He was either doing that or Bond next. I imagine a lot has to do with which project takes his fancy the most. Personally, a Danny Boyle 1960's set musical sets great. i'd rather see him do that than 007.

I'm equally happy that this "Boyle for Bond 25" rumour has disappeared away as quickly as it started. It was never a comfortable fit for me. I need my boy Yann Demange in the driving seat!

• RC7RC7
    edited March 2018 Posts: 10,512
    doubleoego wrote: »
    TR007 wrote: »
    Is anyone else a bit worried by how Babs and Mick are handling the Bond 25 scenario? They really seem to have given Craig so much power and it's leading to a bit of a clusterf*ck when it comes to settling on a story and finding a director.

At first I thought the 4 year wait between SP & B25 was a cautionary thing due to getting burned with rushing QOS into production but then again, they had another long wait between SF and SP and rushed that too. Looks like a case of history repeating itself here.

I've been concerned with their abilities as film producers for a while now and quite frankly I don't care how long they've been in the game they do NOT get a free pass or excused just because they're the heirs and key holders to the Bond property. They should know better in comparison to the highly questionable decisions they've been making for far too long. I honestly feel they're doing a terrible job as producers, especially given their experience and I feel that outside of casting Craig, they've done nothing to really push the boat out in effectively making changes to usher the franchise forward in a creatively rewarding way.

Despite seeing what a total shambles Disney have made of the new Star Wars trilogy I find myself struggling to disagree with you.

They got lucky with SF thanks to the Olympics, Adele and the 50th anniversary bump but, writer's strike notwithstanding, QOS was flawed, SF got away with it, but again the script is very Emmenthal like, and the less said about SP's script the better. And that's just the last 10 years.

GE is a reasonably solid entry (although personally I find the script too front loaded - we spend far too long in Monaco and with Natlaya so that by the time Bond actually gets on his mission half the film is over) but TND, TWINE and DAD have, respectively, a computer game script, an overly melodramatic but at least reasonably original script and a good initial idea but utterly botched script.

The best script by far of the post Cubby era is CR and I don't think it's a coincidence that it's the only one that has a Fleming spine.

I'm not criticising their ability to organise the general logistics of such mammoth undertakings but some of their artistic decisions, particularly regarding the writing and ceding too much authority to their star and director, are questionable in the extreme.

The parallels between EON and Arsenal's current predicament are striking. We're a long time since the trophy filled years of the 60s and despite the odd FA Cup triumph (GE, CR) we seem to be stuck in a rut of diminishing returns. The question is would we prefer to continue to keep blind faith with an EON who seem to be consistently behind the curve (the Bourne and Dark Knight copying was pretty tragic for a series that used to be the brand leader of action cinema, not to mention that when it comes to spectacular stuntwork MI is the go to franchise nowadays) or would we prefer a change, without being really sure what that means?

In EON we trust? Before SP I would have unequivocally stated yes. But now I'm simply not sure.

They don't help things with this apparent need (seemingly at the expense of Bond) to make other films that no one is particularly interested in seeing. If they don't want to make Bond films any more then fine - sell the rights to someone who does. I think I'd rather take the gamble of a new owner than people who no longer seem bothered about making Bond films and just go through the motions after increasingly long gaps.
    I have been saying for some time that BB & MGW are simply incompetent as producers, and that a significant percentage of the members of this forum would be better at producing Bond movies than they are. I was mocked, ridiculed, laughed at.

With good reason. I agree that some of their decisions have been terrible but that's not the same as one of us mugs (and I'm very much including you there) taking control of the whole thing and delivering it on time and on budget.

All they really need is someone to tell them 'Stop. That's a shocking idea. Think about what you are doing' from time to time to keep them on the straight and narrow. That they apparently need someone to do this is pretty depressing though.
    The fact that there is a very good chance the production of Bond 25 will turn out to be a disaster (if Boyle + Hodge don't work out, a delay or a disaster would be pretty much unavoidable) proves that I was right once again.

'Once again'? I think we all missed the first time.

I also have rather low hopes for B25 but the idea that something based entirely on your supposition that hasn't even happened yet can be regarded as proof and vindication of your spoutings is rather misguided to say the least.
    They are repeating the very same mistakes again and again. What happened during the pre-production of Spectre is enough to label them incompetent,

Agree with this.

and now they are very close to a disastrous production again.

Don't agree with this as their is simply not enough data to base it on. Not optimistic though.

Agree with most of what you say, particularly ceding control to the director. I think there’s a larger discussion, which I’ve hinted at, that takes into account the shift in the landscape. I just don’t think you can do a ‘Cubby’ job these days, a modern Cubby is ‘Feige’ and that brings its own problems - not to mention that Bond can’t be run on that model.

If you look back can you honestly say they’ve had two ‘great’ films in a row since the early/mid 60s? Of the last four I’d have to say two are great, one of those is exceptional. The only issue is time.

I’ve seen Marvel and SW constantly pushed as comparative models, but I personally think M:I is more comparable. 2006-2015, you have CR, QOS, SF and SP. M:I released III, GP and RN. For all the fawning over Cruise, I’ll take that run of Bond films all day long.
    You have zero information about B25 and a minute slither about SP. I could tell you some very interesting facts regarding SP that would light up this forum. The leaks have you deluded, Sir, but then as they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. You’re testament to that.
    What on Earth are you smoking? No, we all have more than zero information about B25. We all know that more than 2 years after the release of Spectre, EON still hasn't hired the director of Bond 25 yet, and they still don't have a finished script they are happy with.

As for your "interesting facts" about Spectre, you have two choices: man up and tell us what you know, or keep acting like a 5 year old teasing others saying "I know this secret but I won't tell you what it is!!".

You played this game with ColonelSun. It won’t work with me sunshine.
    Strog wrote: »
    Even if SP had been better thought out on the production side, and better received by the fans here, or even if the gap years since QOS had been kept down, the desire for some sort of shakeup would still now be with us, to some extent. For the simple reason that we're in the midst of the longest-tenured era in series history. I think wanting some sort of change after 13 years is natural, no matter how much good or bad resulted of that decade-plus.

Yeah I loved Spectre. I thought it was great. I was really happy with Skyfall too so to be honest, quality wise, I think the Craig era has actually been very good over the last few years.

But he's been Bond for ages. By the time Bond 25 comes out, a baby born when CR was released will be halfway through high school. I know they haven't had many films out in that time but to be honest I think that only makes it worse, because we're waiting longer and longer for more of the same.

I'm optimistic about 25, especially if Boyle does it. But I really think they should have gone for a fresh start. What also doesn't help is because they weren't sure if Craig would do another, they seemed to make an effort for Spectre to feel like an ending. Which is cool, but now that he's bsck after all I think (for me at least) there's a feeling that they're dragging the Craig era out past its conclusion.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Word from Baz is that Boyle's film will shoot this summer...

We knew that Danny had a musical in the works at Working Title already. He was either doing that or Bond next. I imagine a lot has to do with which project takes his fancy the most. Personally, a Danny Boyle 1960's set musical sets great. i'd rather see him do that than 007.

I'm equally happy that this "Boyle for Bond 25" rumour has disappeared away as quickly as it started. It was never a comfortable fit for me. I need my boy Yann Demange in the driving seat!
    Troubling developments from my standpoint. Demange with Craig is a non starter imho. Bring forth the next rumour!
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 4,619
    @Pierce2Daniel This "Boyle for Bond 25" thing hasn't disappeared and it's certainly NOT a rumour. John Hodge is writing the screenplay of Bond 25 as we speak. Does that mean Boyle will definitely direct Bond 25 or that Hodge's script will definitely be used? Of course not, but Boyle directing a small musical in the summer does not mean he won't be able to start directing Bond 25 next winter.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    So Boyle is out I take it? I’m so damn confused.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    So Boyle is out I take it? I’m so damn confused.

Aren't we all!
  • RC7RC7
    The trick is to not believe what you read in the press. That’s from the horses mouth.
    The trick is to not believe what you read in the press. That’s from the horses mouth.
    Some people believe everything they read in the press, and there are people who believe absolutely nothing they read in the press. The trick is to know which sources to trust. When deadline.com reports that John Hodge is working on the screenplay of Bond 25, then he is working on the screenplay of Bond 25.

Yes, but isn’t Baz reputable?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I can't wait for CashleyPersia to chime in with another theory.
    This keeps looking worse. I’m really starting to worry Craig’s Bond 25 will end up scrapped with how much they’re struggling.
  • RC7RC7
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

Yes, but isn’t Baz reputable?

I wasn’t particularly referring to Baz but rather other sources.
    Some people believe everything they read in the press, and there are people who believe absolutely nothing they read in the press. The trick is to know which sources to trust. When deadline.com reports that John Hodge is working on the screenplay of Bond 25, then he is working on the screenplay of Bond 25.

Cool.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Very astute point. I'm careful to only believe what @PanchitoPistoles writes.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Might as well start over and cast a new bond this point
    FoxRox wrote: »
    This keeps looking worse. I’m really starting to worry Craig’s Bond 25 will end up scrapped with how much they’re struggling.

Agreed. They can’t find a f****** director. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?!

I jumped for joy when Craig announced he was coming back. Now I’m starting to get the sense we will never get one more film with him.
    I really hope he stays for one more. EON needs to get it done then sell the franchise because they aren’t handling business well it appears.

Very astute point. I'm careful to only believe what @PanchitoPistoles writes.
    Believe only what Deadline.com, Variety or The Hollywood Reporter writes. Certainly don't believe anything RC7 writes.
  • RC7RC7
    Sorry, when did this become the ‘Just 17’ forum? Calm down, girls.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    I guess directors are too busy for bond these days they might have to start begging martin Campbell again