BRINGING BACK DOCTOR HALL, A NEW SCENE FOR BOND 25

maibaummaibaum Buenos Aires
edited February 2018 in No Time To Die Posts: 8
Note: We've seen this character briefly in Skyfall. I thought Dr. Hall could be used, again and again in new movies.
Also, I'm assuming Madelaine Swan will be killed in order to get Bond coming back to MI6.
I'm a writer, and I wanted to share this concept with this site's readers.

INT/ DAY/ DR. HALL’S OFFICE.
BOND walks into the room and, in a somewhat reluctant mood, sits down.
DR. HALL puts down a dossier He was reading, and try to start a conversation with 007.

DR. HALL
Oh, good morning. Beautiful day, isn’t it?

BOND
(Politely)
Hello, Doctor Hall. Forgive me, but I’d just need to ask…
Is it everything “a line” with you?

DR. HALL is genuinely puzzled by this.

DR. HALL
I… I beg your pardon?

BOND
Well, yes, I guess I’m trying to skip
one part of our conversation.
What I actually meant was…
Is “Beautiful day” the beggining of a test?
If not, why don’t We get on with it?

DR. HALL
(Secure)
James…, there are no ‘two way mirrors’ in here.

BOND
I noticed it.

DR. HALL
Then I don’t quite follow You.
Would You like a glass of water? …And that is not “a line”!

BOND
You need to check if I’m fit for duty.
I happen to know that if I asked, for instance,
“What kind of water do You have here?”,
You’d write down “007 is showing traces of paranoia”, “He thinks the water is a serum”…, or something of the sort.

DR. HALL then leans back, taking a deep breath, and does the most unexpected thing:
He reaches a cabinet and, almost magically, produces a bottle of whisky. He takes it towards BOND.

DR. HALL
I shall pour You a shot.

BOND
(Astonished)
Now… that’s… new.

DR. HALL fills two little glasses with the whisky.
BOND realizes that He might actually be a good guy.

DR. HALL
I remember She liked it.

BOND
…Our own late “M”…

They both drink.

DR. HALL
No; my colleague,
Doctor Swan.

A tense moment passes. BOND stares at DR. HALL in anger and also in disbelief.
The doctor looks back without being intimidated.

DR. HALL
(Continues)
James, You were right regarding
That I AM here to check if You are fit for duty.
But We won’t start a word association routine.
I read the transcript, your debriefing; that’s all.

BOND
I see. And You thought this line with Madelaine Swan
would trigger a reaction, didn’t You?
You figured I’d display a poisoned memory.
Of course, You’re trained for…

DR. HALL
(Explodes, interrumpting)
Try to shut up!

The yelling takes BOND by surprise. He listens.

DR. HALL
(Continues, pointing at the bottle)
Do You think this is an orthodox
method in my practice? Alcohol?
It is the most amusing thing:
You, double 0 s, really seem to believe that
I am in this place to prevent MI6 elements
from fulfilling their job descriptions,
a job well done in the field, that is,
… keeping everybody safe.

DR. HALL pauses to stand up and look for his pipe.
BOND reflects during his brief searching. Those words seemed honest to him.
He’s more at ease when the doctor comes back to his seat.

DR. HALL
(Continues)
You answered a few questions to Madelaine in an interview.
Can’t I expect You to answering them to Me as well?

BOND helps him to grab the matches and asks his big question.

BOND
Tell me… Is that how You really feel about my occupation?

DR. HALL
Actually, I’m sure that a person like You exists
because none of us, people with desks,
can google the next threat accurately.

BOND
(Somewhat ironic)
I understand, doctor.
Could I carry my next assignment then?
I mean, suppose I begin to shoot the wrong people.
Or even myself.

DR. HALL
I intent to asess that matter after another shot.

The good doctor invites BOND one more round, and hides the bottle. BOND smiles.

DR. HALL
(Perusing the dossier once again, continues)
And, by the way, Bond, to get clearance is, up to a point,
being able to recognize a beautiful day
whenever You look at it.

CUT TO

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Well that's an interesting exchange to consider. Gets some good reactions from Bond.

With the Dr. Hall character, he's a good one but I wonder if they considered introducing Fleming's own Sir James Moloney.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Well that's an interesting exchange to consider. Gets some good reactions from Bond.

With the Dr. Hall character, he's a good one but I wonder if they considered introducing Fleming's own Sir James Moloney.

Yes, I'd be an advocate of having Sir James treat Bond. As Steven Jay Rubin noted in his book on the Bond films he was the one Fleming character left behind by the films. They missed a trick not including him in that scene in Skyfall in fact.
  • The character you depict here --whether named Hall or Sir James -- fulfills an important narrative function for the modern Bond, and could easily become another series regular. This, unfortunately, brings up the question: Do we really NEED another member of Bond's Scooby Gang?
  • maibaummaibaum Buenos Aires
    edited February 2018 Posts: 8
    Hello, everyone! I'm thrilled with the views and opinions. I've never posted any material in this manner. Regarding the good doctor, since EON went with this new guy, I simply used what they put on the table (on film actually). I'm familiar with Moloney. Anyway, I must confess that I see the task of writing a Bond movie more and more trying each time. My take on the matter is "Get whatever is necesary to populate it with real people in believable situations during the second act". And the reason in doing so is to build the big contrast against the bigger than life villain and 007's bigger than life prowess. That said, I feel the cinematic Bond was at his worst when violating the laws of physics (he did it on a handful of occasions). Besides, I'm not a gadget buff. I think -from the scriptwriting point of view- that TWINE had solid twists and that particular entry explored a certain "who done it?" kind of storytelling. FYEO even played the switching of the baddie amidst the drama. I would go through those paths. Surprise at almost every turn. Finally, nevertheless, my idea of climax would recover some crazy base or facility as the last battle's landscape. But remember, by setting a world that is real enough at the beggining, everything else in the Bond movie gains its proper momentum (and rewards modern audiences). Please, let me know how do you see it.
    I enjoyed reading this and wanted it to keep going.

I like the idea of deriving a twist or a mystery from the identity of the real villain, as it paid off very well in both FYEO and TWINE. And a return to a base for the climax would also be welcome, hopefullly with an epic battle, especially after Spectre gave us a lair but had Bond blow it up in a minute.
    Thank you for your comment, mattjoes
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I enjoyed reading this and wanted it to keep going.

I like the idea of deriving a twist or a mystery from the identity of the real villain, as it paid off very well in both FYEO and TWINE. And a return to a base for the climax would also be welcome, hopefullly with an epic battle, especially after Spectre gave us a lair but had Bond blow it up in a minute.

• FitenoughFitenough Buenos Aires
    I think Dr. Hall and that scene was great. He has potential to be a regular, as he can bring something new to develop the character of Bond.
    Fitenough wrote: »
    I think Dr. Hall and that scene was great. He has potential to be a regular, as he can bring something new to develop the character of Bond.

Amigo de Buenos Aires;
    I am quite certain that almost every artisan related to EON PRODUCTIONS want a little bit more of character development, as the 007 franchise cannot, nowadays, rely exclusively on slick locations. In a way, travel agencies and their Internet-based advertising imagery gave us enough landscapes to enjoy with our eyes. I believe Quantum of Solace director said something like that. "Bond 25" need to fulfill new dreams the fans may have (by not cloning the stunt action in a Marvelesque way, for instance). The task of crafting another James Bond adventure requires a thrilling plot, and, above all, some linking to our (present) humanity. Thank you for your point of view.
  • Agent8Agent8 Argentina
    I liked you gave a more human perspective of the characters, without going out of the characteristics of the characters. Keep on going !!!
    Thank you so much, Agent Eight.
This discussion has been closed.