"Star Trek: Discovery" (CBS All Access/Netflix, 2017)

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns
    That was Bryan Fuller's original intent for the series before he left as showrunner.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Murdock wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns
    That was Bryan Fuller's original intent for the series before he left as showrunner.
    So him leaving means it may not happen? With Discovery's Ship capability I guess anything could happen at the end of the season.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns
    So him leaving means it may not happen? With Discovery's Ship capability I guess anything could happen at the end of the season.
    I'm not sure. Discovery's plotting structure is very weird. It's like they spend so many episodes slowly building up to something then quickly finish up that arch and be done with it. So where it goes at the end of the season is anyone's guess.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns
    I'm not sure. Discovery's plotting structure is very weird. It's like they spend so many episodes slowly building up to something then quickly finish up that arch and be done with it. So where it goes at the end of the season is anyone's guess.

I was thinking the same earlier the writing is haphazard
    I would not suprised me if the ability to detect Klingon ships is never spoke of again or passed onto the federation, that looks like it's been dropped.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns

I would not suprised me if the ability to detect Klingon ships is never spoke of again or passed onto the federation, that looks like it's been dropped.
    By the looks of things now, They will probably be in the Mirror Universe for about 3 episodes. Probably more and with Ash being revealed to be Vok and Stamets becoming Gary Mitchell esque, I'd say $*&% is going to be going down. I doubt it will but I would be surprised if it ended with the self destruction of the Descovery ala the SS Valiant from Where No Man Has Gone Before.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns

By the looks of things now, They will probably be in the Mirror Universe for about 3 episodes. Probably more and with Ash being revealed to be Vok and Stamets becoming Gary Mitchell esque, I'd say $*&% is going to be going down. I doubt it will but I would be surprised if it ended with the self destruction of the Descovery ala the SS Valiant from Where No Man Has Gone Before.

The show is OK though having a continuation and not stand alone episodes unfortunately the writing is open to scrutiny.
    I am glad they are excellerating the Vok story line, I am interested to see who the Emperor of the Terran Empire is.
    The show is OK though having a continuation and not stand alone episodes unfortunately the writing is open to scrutiny.
    I am glad they are excellerating the Vok story line, I am interested to see who the Emperor of the Terran Empire is.
    Yeah I'm glad they are too since it's been guessed Tyler is Vok for a while.
    I'm guessing the Emperor could be Mirror Georgeou. With Burnham shaken up about killing Mirror Cooper, Her facing off against Mirror Georgeou seems like the most logical outcome. And more Michelle Yeoh is a good thing in my book.
    Yeah I'm glad they are too since it's been guessed Tyler is Vok for a while.
    I'm guessing the Emperor could be Mirror Georgeou. With Burnham shaken up about killing Mirror Cooper, Her facing off against Mirror Georgeou seems like the most logical outcome. And more Michelle Yeoh is a good thing in my book.
    Good call regarding Georgeou, the scene in the lift with Cooper was good.

A good watch they also discuss The Orville
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,104
    Discovery episode 11, good episode the production on this show is impressive. Again a few nice easter eggs, and good to see a few familiar Alien races. Great key scene, this episode was earned.

@Murdock I think what's happening with Discovery is good, it took four seasons of Enterprise to do what Discovery are doing and it was too late for Enterprise by then, a lesson has definitely been learnt for sure.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I liked episode 11 as well. Nice to see their ideas coming to fruition. As for Discovery, It had a bit shakey start but I think it's finally grown into it's own animal. I hope it stays consistent for the rest of the season. The problems I had early on with the series seem to be gone for now anyway. At least I could get into it right away. I gave up on Voyager and Enterprise after a small handfull of episodes each. Didn't have the staying power for me.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I liked episode 11 as well. Nice to see their ideas coming to fruition. As for Discovery, It had a bit shakey start but I think it's finally grown into it's own animal. I hope it stays consistent for the rest of the season. The problems I had early on with the series seem to be gone for now anyway. At least I could get into it right away. I gave up on Voyager and Enterprise after a small handfull of episodes each. Didn't have the staying power for me.

Discovery Just gets on with it now and the characters are being written much better, in ep 11 the scene between
    Burnham and Tyler/Vok really was tense I was on the edge of my seat,
    great acting.
    ...and the surprises keep coming.
    Had no clue that Lorca was from the mirror universe and he had planned to get captured etc
    SharkBait wrote: »
    ...and the surprises keep coming.
    Had no clue that Lorca was from the mirror universe and he had planned to get captured etc

Me neither though makes perfect sense, my reaction was Whoa! The second half of the season has certainly improved.

First episode that has compelled me to watch the whole season again.
    Michelle Yeoh was superb as was Sonequa Martin-Green, excellent acting in this show.

Jonathan Frakes is on After Trek this week.
    Next Episode Trailer...

Make Jason Isaacs a Bond Villain Now!!!
    A bit of Discovery fan art. I used a TND still of Yeoh to make this image of "Commander" Georgiou. Discovery is set in 2256, This new pic would be set around 2237. ;)
    OwXHZydl.jpg
    A bit of Discovery fan art. I used a TND still of Yeoh to make this image of "Commander" Georgiou. Discovery is set in 2256, This new pic would be set around 2237. ;)
    OwXHZydl.jpg

Nice one...

Been busy with work still not watched last episode, it's been good since the second half of season started.
    Nice one...

Been busy with work still not watched last episode, it's been good since the second half of season started.

Regarding last week's episode. I thought it had some good moments but ultimately I found it pretty disappointing. Though I am curious to see where it goes next.
    Nice one...

Regarding last week's episode. I thought it had some good moments but ultimately I found it pretty disappointing. Though I am curious to see where it goes next.

I'll try and watch the recent episode tomorrow, with the last episode reveal I was surprised by it, i was hoping the show would continue on a upward curve.
    Nice one...

I'll try and watch the recent episode tomorrow, with the last episode reveal I was surprised by it, i was hoping the show would continue on a upward curve.

I hope you enjoy it. There were things I did enjoy about the episode but it is what it is.
    I thought all the built up to it was great but the payoff was very weak. Yeah Episode 9 really cemented that Lorca was from the Mirror universe but the pay off for it was pretty weak. He goes from mysterious complex character to a one dimensional mustache twirling cartoon villain.
    Nice one...

I hope you enjoy it. There were things I did enjoy about the episode but it is what it is.
    I thought all the built up to it was great but the payoff was very weak. Yeah Episode 9 really cemented that Lorca was from the Mirror universe but the pay off for it was pretty weak. He goes from mysterious complex character to a one dimensional mustache twirling cartoon villain.

I do have one issue with the show, too many things are telegraphed not including the
    Lorca Reveal.

Ill definately watch it tomorrow got a few days off, I am a few weeks behind on The Orville also that@s my evening set lol.
    Nice one...

I thought all the built up to it was greI at but the payoff was very weak. Yeah Episode 9 really cemented that Lorca was from the Mirror universe but the pay off for it was pretty weak. He goes from mysterious complex character to a one dimensional mustache twirling cartoon villain.

I do have one issue with the show, too many things are telegraphed not including the
    Lorca Reveal.

Ill definately watch it tomorrow got a few days off, I am a few weeks behind on The Orville also that@s my evening set lol.

Sounds like a great evening.

I've been hanging on TrekBBS lately and rumor has it that.
    A Constitution class Starship could possibly appear in the season finale. My question to fans of the show are. If one does appear, Would you want it to look how it was designed 50+ years ago, or would you want it to be redesigned?

For me personally, I feel the Constitution class is perfect as it is. I don't find it dated as the majority of Discovery fans think it is. If it looks like this, I'll be happy.
    w3mffP3l.jpg

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Well, you got your wish.....in a big way.

I have yet to see any of Discovery but I have not avoided spoilers so I know a lot of what has happened as well as the gripes and other opinions of viewers. One of the big selling points was that Discovery is set in the "Prime" universe. Well if this is only 10 years prior to Kirk commanding the Enterprise, then it must be in the “Kelvin” timeline; the “Prime” universe was changed at the time of Kirk’s birth and the destruction of his father's starship. This cannot be Star Trek “Prime”
    @talos7
    Discovery isn't set in the Kelvin Timline. The Nero events didn't happen in this timeline. Though Discovery has copied many aspects of the Kelvin movies. But in my personal opinion, it doesn't feel prime either. They should have made it it's own separate universe. But I'm glad they got the Enterprise right at least.

Well now that the season is finally over I can give my thoughts on it. For the most part I've found it to rang from fine to mediocre. Discovery seems to suffer from rushed plotting with story build ups that either go nowhere or have a weak resolution. It's got good visuals and production designs. The cast is pretty solid. I think most of the characters are interesting and compelling. I do personally feel that the lead Michael Burnham is the weakest part of the show.

I just hope Season 2 will be a big improvement. And I hope we finally get some classic style uniforms with the primary colors.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,104
    Just watched the season finale, easily one of the worst Trek episodes I have ever seen. Character motivations make no sense, the writers just decide this is going to happen and it happens. The show lost me a few episodes back, even for science fiction Discovery became so implausible, there were to many things going on, stories were started and dropped almost instantly. I won't accept this as Prime Canon, this show is a reboot and an average one at that.

There were some good nods and
    Michelle Yeah
    was great, though unfortunately I had already stopped caring.
    Burnham speech at the end was cringe worthy
    I agree. I just see it as it's own universe not attached to the Original Series.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The ending was a suprise, but given how many fans seem to dislike
    Discovery, I'm guessing some changes will happen with season two.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited February 2018 Posts: 7,890

I agree. I just see it as it's own universe not attached to the Original Series.
    As I said above, because it’s set after the birth of Kirk and a decade prior to his taking command of the Enterprise, this has to be in the “Kelvin” timeline or is completely detached from any previous incarnation and is creating a completely new take on Star Trek

Very interesting

Fun season one review!