What's your cup of tea?

DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
edited February 2018 in General Discussion Posts: 17,728
istock-466073662.jpg

@Ludovico and myself were discussing tea in the "What are you reading?" thread and rather than derail that thread we both agreed that the creation of a Tea Thread would be a good idea. Sadly, the posts that we made discussing this on 30 January 2018 were lost in a forum glitch, but here at least is the thread as I promised. In fact, the first version of this thread of mine was also lost to the ether on the very same day! Perhaps it was the spirit of Ian Fleming or James Bond as we know they both despised tea as a drink! :)

Anyway, to get things started, what is your favourite kind or brand of tea?

For my money, the best tea I have tasted so far is PG Tips. I highly recommend it to any tea drinker who has not yet tried it.

1272x920design_01.jpg

Comments

• edited February 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Great thread,finally tea gets a look-in over that disgusting coffee gunge.

I love strong tea,i have a cup of Green tea every morning with 2 teabags in it,no sugar of course.

I have about 10 bags left in my Tetley green tea box only !! :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrzYeQ9XtiRaEEGU-WjiTQWHicTKjcy1_liwAAc8bhp7-XWgNU

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkItNfUkROkNTbSZjJVSztRoCRJqdupPLr6AxNvqzYOymLiC9N
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    edited February 2018 Posts: 13,384
    Tried Earl Grey once. Didn't like it. Too
    Scented for me. I like strong tea not
    Too bothered about the brand. I think
    Roger Moore also liked strong tea.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Sorry @barryt007 I tend to drink 80% that disgusting coffee gunge and 20% tea - nothing fancy, just like a strong cup of Yorkshire.

A little milk, no sugar in both T & C
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 684
    Strictly a coffee man now, but used to go in for tea. Oolong was my definite favorite, then white, then green, then black. Always loose leaf. Hardly ever used milk. Been a couple years since I've made a cup. I think I still have some leaves around...

Nah. About to grind up a batch of the 'gunge' now actually. ;)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    To each his own. I used to like drinking tea two or three times a week and wouldn't reject a cup when offered these days, either. But for my daily routine, tea is a beverage to be drunk between, say, 17:00 (after coffee) and 19:00 (before beer or wine comes on...or even pure water). But I'm hardly eer at home during that period. So I basically gave it up.

Coffee is definitely the non-alcoholic beverage I'd miss the most if I had to live without them all.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    My quartermaster comes to wake me up every day at 0430 and puts Earl Grey on my table, not too hot, just right. It's the most wonderful thing to start the day like this.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I don't drink much tea.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    SNAPPLE_PEACH_TEA_16.png
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited February 2018 Posts: 17,728
    I don't drink much tea.

You're missing out, although I don't drink as much tea as I used to myself, sadly. It's a time thing.
    I like Tetley and Yorkshire tea for everyday brew. Here in the UK I also like Jollybrew as loose leaf tea.

In Montreal I discovered David's Tea. I love their accessories, especially the Autumn collections. Their tea are often too sweet, but they made tea drinking cool and trendy again so I am very grateful to them.
    Any opinions on putting milk in to the cup first ? Or is that something only a
    Barbarian would do ;-)
    I usually drink black or green tea. Sometimes I prefer Earl Grey, but I find it to be rather strong-flavored so it's only occasional. Brand of choice: Dilmah. Most of the year I'll drink a cup of tea some five or six days a week, but lately I've reduced my consumption because it's summer here and it's damn hot.

I pour the milk at the end.
    I used to drink tea without milk, but was told it's apparently very bad for your stomach.
    Barbarian would do ;-)

Only a Barbarian would put any milk in tea. I have it black.
    Even today they recommend tea with plenty of sugar to help with shock.
  • Even today they recommend tea with plenty of sugar to help with shock.

The shock of drinking the tea?
    "Something like that yes". ;-)
    Think I posted on this thread before all the comments disappeared:
    Never managed to like tea at all. Every cup of tea I've had have been awful; with milk, without milk, with sugar, without sugar, strong or weak in flavour.

Part of me wish I could like it, as I only have coffee or cocoa as a go to for warm beverages. Luckily there's plenty of coffee types to choose from!
    Of course Bond described tea as " a cup of mud " I tend to drink Cola most of the time.
    Even today they recommend tea with plenty of sugar to help with shock.

The horror, the horror.
    Barbarian would do ;-)
    Two superior literary minds debate:

http://www.h-tea-o.net/newsletter/G001DouglasAdams/teatalk/
    So the best advice I can give to an American arriving in England is this. Go to Marks and Spencer and buy a packet of Earl Grey tea. Go back to where you're staying and boil a kettle of water. While it is coming to the boil, open the sealed packet and sniff. Careful - you may feel a bit dizzy, but this is in fact perfectly legal. When the kettle has boiled, pour a little of it into a tea pot, swirl it around and tip it out again. Put a couple (or three, depending on the size of the pot) of tea bags into the pot (If I was really trying to lead you into the paths of righteousness I would tell you to use free leaves rather than bags, but let's just take this in easy stages). Bring the kettle back up to the boil, and then pour the boiling water as quickly as you can into the pot. Let it stand for two or three minutes, and then pour it into a cup. Some people will tell you that you shouldn't have milk with Earl Grey, just a slice of lemon. Screw them. I like it with milk. If you think you will like it with milk then it's probably best to put some milk into the bottom of the cup before you pour in the tea. If you pour milk into a cup of hot tea you will scald the milk. If you think you will prefer it with a slice of lemon then, well, add a slice of lemon.

But ...

http://www.booksatoz.com/witsend/tea/orwell.htm
    Tenthly, one should pour tea into the cup first. This is one of the most controversial points of all; indeed in every family in Britain there are probably two schools of thought on the subject. The milk-first school can bring forward some fairly strong arguments, but I maintain that my own argument is unanswerable. This is that, by putting the tea in first and stirring as one pours, one can exactly regulate the amount of milk whereas one is liable to put in too much milk if one does it the other way round.
    Being half-Turkish, I've never understood having milk with tea. Turkey did not go tea-crazy until the 20th century, but it now has the highest per capita tea consumption in the world. Tea is consumed at all hours, usually in little tulip-shaped glasses, and has a beautiful red-amber glow. Adding milk--or anything more than two cubes of sugar--would be a desecration.
    That said, I usually visit Turkey in the summertime so my tea consumption suffers, since I dislike hot drinks in hot weather.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 17,728
    I used to drink tea without milk, but was told it's apparently very bad for your stomach.

My Mum drinks it that way. She only takes a drop of milk in it usually. She finds milk sour tasting. She sometimes pours the tea from the cup onto a saucer and drinks from there when it cools down.
    My favorite is green Jasmin tea. My Taiwanese friend is supplying me with some high quality stuff. I could drink it all day!

But I love coffee too. No contradiction there ;)
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Da_Hong_Pao
    Has anyone tried Da Hong Pao ....... The most expensive tea in the world ?
    Just drinking a lovely cup of Twining's ginger green tea atm....

barryt007 wrote: »
    Just drinking a lovely cup of Twining's ginger green tea atm....

BarryTea007!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I hate tea. I need buckets of sugar to swallow even one cup down. It's bitter and flat. If I want caffeine, I'll drink a Red Bull. ;-)

Even James Bond agrees with me. Fleming's Bond drinks coffee, never tea.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I hate tea. I need buckets of sugar to swallow even one cup down. It's bitter and flat. If I want caffeine, I'll drink a Red Bull. ;-)

You just insulted the entire Brittish Empire! :O ;)
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 19,339
    jobo wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »

You just insulted the entire British Empire! :O ;)

DD i love you old chap,but no no no no no ............i recommend 5 'God Save the Queens' and a whole pot of Earl Grey or i will never forgive you..
    @DarthDimi