Could SPECTRE have benefited from a 'Justice League' treatment?

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
in SPECTRE Posts: 17,687
IMO SPECTRE would have benefited from a Joss Whedon touch. Having recently seen Justice League, and realizing how bloated it would have been without some fat-trimming and some human moments added, I have to say I see many similarities here. As much as I love SPECTRE (and I really do), some severe hacking/restructuring would have made for a better & more intense experience.
Thoughts?

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    chrisisall wrote: »
    IMO SPECTRE would have benefited from a Joss Whedon touch. Having recently seen Justice League, and realizing how bloated it would have been without some fat-trimming and some human moments added, I have to say I see many similarities here. As much as I love SPECTRE (and I really do), some severe hacking/restructuring would have made for a better & more intense experience.
    Thoughts?

While I still enjoyed it for what it was, Whedon made Justice League worse for me so I can't agree. The "fat-trimming" made the film feel like an after-thought rather than its own complete thing. A lot of the human moments were already there, too - they just added more humour on to them and as a result, made the universe and some of its characters feel bi-polar.

Spectre felt a lot like Justice League in that it was an entertaining film that somehow felt under-developed and overcooked all at once. Both inventive in certain aspects and absolutely and undoubtedly safe in others.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Spectre felt a lot like Justice League in that it was an entertaining film that somehow felt under-developed and overcooked all at once. Both inventive in certain aspects and absolutely and undoubtedly safe in others.
    I cannot dispute this take.
    I also cannot deny that I love both films equally for the same basic heart they both contain.
    Thanks for your weigh-in here, most thoughtful sir.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Some more time in the writing department and a better music score and it would be a crown jewel. It's in my #4 spot but refinement on those two areas could have made it much well received.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Some more time in the writing department and a better music score and it would be a crown jewel. It's in my #4 spot but refinement on those two areas could have made it much well received.
    Agreed.
    And my point is, that tweaking by a film-maker who is also a fan of the genre might have MADE it that crown jewel!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »
    Agreed.
    And my point is, that tweaking by a film-maker who is also a fan of the genre might have MADE it that crown jewel!

Well as you know I did a little tweaking of my own. ;)
    Birdleson wrote: »
    No.

I didn't realize you loved the film so much as-is! :)
    Joss Whedon DID NOT help "JUSTICE LEAGUE". Not one damn bit, judging from what I had seen and read about the scenes that were cut or changed in post-production. I think Whedon and WB had more or less messed up the film's third act.

"SPECTRE" DID NOT need Whedon's help. Perhaps "SKYFALL" did. On the other hand, I doubt anything could have saved that film.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Thoughts?

If you're suggesting that SP might have been improved if Joss Whedon specifically had taken over halfway through then not in a million years.

If you're suggesting that SP might have been improved if anybody competent had taken over before halfway through before it came careering off the tracks then indubitably.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Thoughts?

If you're suggesting that SP might have been improved if Joss Whedon specifically had taken over halfway through then not in a million years.

If you're suggesting that SP might have been improved if anybody competent had taken over before halfway through before it came careering off the tracks then indubitably.
    Thoughts?

I meant the latter.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Well Justice League was trimmed to 2hrs, and I think SP would be much better if it was the same.