Moderating the forum

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Didn't he originally register under a different name and made a scene in the Pierce Brosnan Thread by berating everybody who disagreed with him? Seemed one and the same.

Yes, they have a way of coming back again and again like a bad penny. That said, I seem to have missed most of his shenanigans either because his stay was so brief or because I didn't frequent the threads he was posting in.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Didn't he originally register under a different name and made a scene in the Pierce Brosnan Thread by berating everybody who disagreed with him? Seemed one and the same.
    Yes, they have a way of coming back again and again like a bad penny. That said, I seem to have missed most of his shenanigans either because his stay was so brief or because I didn't frequent the threads he was posting in.
    You're not missing anything, @Dragonpol. Better not to pay attention to imbeciles like those.
    You're not missing anything, @Dragonpol. Better not to pay attention to imbeciles like those.

Yes, I guess I was lucky but I often miss the firefights on here. Just as well that I do, most likely!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I think he went in the football thread and started gobbing off about how good NFL is which as we all know is a clear indicator of mental lassitude.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423
    NFL is a joke, and a bad joke at that. And I say this as an American.
    All football is a joke in my view. It's one of the most boring things anyone can talk about. I hear way too much football chatter at work to think otherwise.
    All football is a joke in my view. It's one of the most boring things anyone can talk about. I hear way too much football chatter at work to think otherwise.

Could say the same about religion old son and at least football actually exists - mores the pity in Karius's case.

Could say the same about religion old son and at least football actually exists - mores the pity in Karius's case.

Well, you don't seem to find it boring in the Religion thread, old chap. You could bang on about it for days there!
    Fighting the good fight old son. If religion ceased to exist I'd be ecstatic not to have to talk about it but while it's allowed to continue it's pernicious influence I'll keep piping up.

If good men do nothing and all that jazz.
    Fighting the good fight old son. If religion ceased to exist I'd be ecstatic not to have to talk about it but while it's allowed to continue it's pernicious influence I'll keep piping up.

If good men do nothing and all that jazz.

Fair enough. I would expect nothing less of you.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Morning everyone.

Could I respectively ask that we reduce the footfall on the Activity page a little please. We need to be able to sift through new members, and there are so many conversations going on on there that it makes it quite difficult.

We have private messaging and the free chat thread
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/2367/chat-thread-free-discussion#latest
    which you can use.

Many thanks

• Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    Ha ha ha....why are all the real fun things forbidden :D
    The free chat thread was annexed by @Thunderfinger

Maybe we should open a new thread for "fun Bond repartee"
    We do need a space for pointless, aimless, pun-ridden, Bond-quoting-and-referencing conversation! :D
    Glad you find it amusing.
    The Activity page isn’t there for ‘real fun things’ Andi. As a new member maybe you should try to be appreciative of how things work so you can integrate into the forums.
    By all means open a fun Bond repartee thread to talk about such matters, just don’t use the Activitypage.

I don’t know what you mean about @Thunderfinger annexing the ‘free chat thread’. Sorry
  • I just discovered that there is an Activity page. And that it can be commented upon. And that I have no more use for it today than I did yesterday (as meritorious as Brosnanas sometimes can be).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    But...where will all the memes go now?
    luther-sigh.gif
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    We better find a better place to meme. ;)
    71Ua0JGl.jpg
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    No need to become condescending @NicNac
    I'm well aware of how the forum works, which I think should be obvious by now.
    I simply participated in the activity log as many do.

Here's what I found on it on the main HQ page:
    Activity constitutes users' non-discussion interrelations and actions - much like the Facebook news feed or headlines feature. This will allow you to keep taps on the MI6 Community at large.

Maybe you can elaborate on that, what exactly it means and give us a practical example so we use it correctly in the future.

Thank you.

PS: The Thunderfinger reference was an in-joke, don't worry about it.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 17,727
    But...where will all the memes go now?
    luther-sigh.gif

To hell, hopefully. Words should be sufficient to convey meaning.
    @mattjoes @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @Murdock . Yes I understand. You do need a place for some irreverent Bond related nonsense so feel free to open one.

I asked that you could ‘reduce the footfall a little’ not abandon all together.

@Andi1996Ruegg I have no idea what the definition means or what James Page had in mind. All I know is the powers that be trust the moderators to do a job and sometimes we get bogged down by the clutter.

As I say feel free to open a thread if you haven’t already
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I was just joking anyway. I hardly contribute to the Activities page anymore.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I was just joking anyway. I hardly contribute to the Activities page anymore.

Me either, as I appreciate it causes havoc for the mods having to wade through it all. It's out of respect for them, really. It's not too much to ask, I feel.
    Making me feel bad now chaps ;)

We have to check out newb accounts, profile pic changes and the like. So I do appreciate your feedback and understanding on this matter.

Closing again for the time being
    Hi all.
    OK, we have had some heated exchanges, especially on the Bond 25 thread (I won't call them debates or discussions) and as moderators we have been pretty lenient. These arguments may seem harmless or inoffensive, but they are driving members away. Especially those who are simply after updates on the progress of Bond 25.

@DarthDimi calmed it all down by closing the thread temporarily.

So, this is a general warning. The next time the bickering breaks out we will be issuing formal warnings for constant breaking of forum rules.

So please keep it civil and try not to spoil it for everyone else. Thanks

As ever I will keep this open for feedback, but if you simply want to complain about other members then use the PMs.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    The Bond 25 production thread has real value when there is news happening. All the off topic (well in general ....) discussions are ones that could actually be held on other threads, I think.

Look for me, I don't mind if there is a lack of discussion on that Bond 25 production thread while we wait for actual news on that particular upcoming film. I'd rather that happen (temporarily dormant, though not closed) and the other discussions/debates, etc. take place on other threads. Surely we have threads to cover the main points being talked about? Maybe we don't, but I would think we do, though I have not checked myself.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The Bond 25 production thread has real value when there is news happening. All the off topic (well in general ....) discussions are ones that could actually be held on other threads, I think.

Look for me, I don't mind if there is a lack of discussion on that Bond 25 production thread while we wait for actual news on that particular upcoming film. I'd rather that happen (temporarily dormant, though not closed) and the other discussions/debates, etc. take place on other threads. Surely we have threads to cover the main points being talked about? Maybe we don't, but I would think we do, though I have not checked myself.
    In an ideal world, people would naturally take the off-topic chatter elsewhere. But they never do, no matter how much you tell them.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

While there are some off topic discussions (aka fighting) that are a problem, I generally enjoy the organic way the conversation flows from one topic to another. It gives us an idea of what MI6 Community would be like if it were simply an open-ended chat room instead. However there is certainly a point where discussion is too off topic from Bond 25.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

While there are some off topic discussions (aka fighting) that are a problem, I generally enjoy the organic way the conversation flows from one topic to another. It gives us an idea of what MI6 Community would be like if it were simply an open-ended chat room instead. However there is certainly a point where discussion is too off topic from Bond 25.

Yeah, there shouldn’t be bickering but I don’t mind people voicing their opinions on what may happen regarding B25 and as long as they are relatively on topic and not harming anyone else they should be allowed to speak.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Yeah, there shouldn’t be bickering but I don’t mind people voicing their opinions on what may happen regarding B25 and as long as they are relatively on topic and not harming anyone else they should be allowed to speak.
    This is totally fair game.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I tend to look on page 1 for @jake24 updates which I did today, as there were 1.1K comments since I last viewed that thread.
This discussion has been closed.