"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

barryt007 wrote: »
    0 - 0 would be a good result for Arsenal based on what I have seen in the second half.

I think it will be a miracle at the moment.

Sanchez would be on by now if he wasnt being sold.

Couldn't do wrong putting on Reiss Nelson now, if not Alexis.
    Wow? I see our replay has been nabbed by the BBC next Wednesday night then!
    Danny Welbeck has put in a great defensive shift tonight
    Right,lets see if Sanchez loves the Arsenal fans before he buggers off.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 17,297
    Sánchez on for Lacazette. One of his last games in the Arsenal shirt?

Chambers struggeling with something. Per or the new Greek defender on, maybe?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    0 - 0 would be a good result for Arsenal based on what I have seen in the second half.

I think it will be a miracle at the moment.

Sanchez would be on by now if he wasnt being sold.

I heard Ozil has a knee injury? Arsenal need a few big players in i think.
    IWOBI is a top 6 Premiership player ???????????????????????? f**k me..........

What happened there? One touch too much?

Sánchez clearly angry about something. No help from his teammates, there.
    Sánchez on for Lacazette. One of his last games in the Arsenal shirt?

What happened there? One touch too much?

No...just a naturally shit player who got lucky....until Wenger goes.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Very impressed with young Rob Holding tonight as well as Naitland-Miles and Danny Welbeck...

Ooooooh 0-0...game on !!!
    0-0- Starting elevens considered, this was a decent result. Team looked shaky, but Ospina kept the ball out of the net. Maitland-Niles didn't put a foot wrong (again), and Sánchez looked kinda dangerous, but didn't have anything to work with.
    Very impressed with young Rob Holding tonight as well as Naitland-Miles and Danny Welbeck...

Ooooooh 0-0...game on !!!

Happy Holding got a clean sheet, looking at those last games!

According to a tweet, Lacazette was ill today, yet he played. Could have just played Welbeck or Alexis up front, couldn't they?

_____

Wenger confirms Coquelin has signed for Valencia.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 1,575
    Hey Wizz Rat

He's (Salah) has scored braces against Juventus and the like in his time in serie A, so he doesn't just score against teams lower in the table as you were Crying about, Knucklehead.

Not bad for a winger. :) Hurry up and tell your boyfriend jobo................. :)

001 wrote: »

I'm not even going to respond to your latest RANT because it's full of crap.
    Good to see you countering with well argued and considered arguments.
    You don't seem to understand that i'm not the only one who thinks he's World Class.

Go anywhere in the world and Liverpool fans will say the same, but you think you are the know it all when it comes to football.

I can only bow to the extensive research you have clearly conducted by travelling around the globe and interviewing Liverpool fans in every country to find the ones who agree with you. Most of the ones I encounter are more worried by why we continue to tolerate a Massmio Taibi tribute act in goal.
    Why don't you answer the basic questions?
    Basic questions that have no bearing on whether Salah is world class or not you mean? But if it stops you frothing then fine:
    Go to a Liverpool game at Anfield and carry around a sign that says "Salah is not World class".
    You'll be beaten to a pulp in a couple of minutes......... :) True or not ?

I'd be very surprised. We're not Leeds Utd. I don't think you're going to get battered for holding up such a non contentious sign. If you held one up saying 'Mignolet is world class' you might be taking your life in your hands though.
    I'll tell you what Maradona did do ,Illegal drugs for about 10 years or more before they caught him. True or not ?

Congratulations as that may well be true. A stopped clock and all that...

I'd love for you to tell me what it has to do with his footballing ability though and even more so Salah's?

Maradona took coke, George Best drank himself to death, Fat Ronaldo shagged some tranny prostitutes. They're all still footballing legends.

Gavin Peacock did none of the above and became a pastor. He's a footballing nobody.

I have no idea what Salah does in his private life but it makes no difference in the slightest to whether he's world class or not.
    Can you do that or are you a stubborn Donkey ? ok?
    That really is killer bantz.
    Mohamed Salah brace gives Fiorentina advantage over Juventus in Italian Cup

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/05/juventus-fiorentina-italian-cup-match-report-mohamed-salah

Care to tell us how the second leg panned out in that one.....?

SALAH BAGS BRACE AS ROMA DELAY JUVE TITLE CROWN

http://www.goal.com/en/news/salah-bags-brace-as-roma-delay-juve-title-crown/5z5z74x0x3f011amid09l90z0

Did you know about these performances against Juve ?????

I bet he can't wait till he can bounce his grandson on his knee and tell him how he stopped Juve from winning the title a match early. Take note @jobo it's only truly world class players who turn up in one leg of a semi then lose the second leg 3-0 at home or delay a team from winning the title by a week.

Pele demolishing Sweden in the world cup final aged 17 is world class.

Maradona dragging bog average teams to world cups and Serie A titles is world class.

Zidane pinging a 30 yard volley in the top corner in the CL final is world class.

Scoring a brace in a semi final is average.

Good luck to Salah and lets hope for the lad he does turn out to be world class, although if you are a Liverpool fan you should really be hoping he only remains merely very good because if he is world class he'll be off pretty soon as we continue in our role as Barca's feeder club.
    And playing bloody Iwobi again ,so we basically have 10 men.
    The Chelsea side is nearly the full side...we will be lucky to even get a draw or lose 1-0.

Your strongest team would be lucky to get a draw or 1-0 defeat wouldn't they?
    Wenger seems determined to screw up our season................................again.
    Our 1 chance of possible silverware.

What chance is that? The league and FA cup are long gone and the Europa looks optimistic so even if you beat Chelsea over two legs here I really can't see you turning City (either Manchester or Bristol) over in the final.

Are you Stupid enough to think Maradona only took Coke....There's a Sucker born every minute. And that's means you Smart ass, as j.w would say.

Steroids aren't out of the question....... You are so gullible
    How do you think he out jumped Shilton ?
    Look and learn you Old Fart .......Look at him,he's like a Kangaroo.............. :)
    His head reaches the first tier of the grand stand. Poor Shilts never stood a chance.
    I must admit I enjoyed that goal immensely. :)

hand_of_god_maradona.jpg
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited January 2018 Posts: 6,791
    Some people jump higher than others, but clearly though without using his hand he wouldn’t have scored.
  • An awful moment, that. It broke my 7 year old heart. A genius but with a sneaky streak.

If only Gary Lineker could have put away that chance from the Barnes cross (where did that Argentinian head come from?!!) it all might have been so different.
    That is not even a particularly high jump. Ig that's the result of steroids, I wonder what substances CR has been taking...
    jobo wrote: »
    That is not even a particularly high jump. Ig that's the result of steroids, I wonder what substances CR has been taking...

Maradona got caught for taking illegal substances at the 1994 WC and banned.

A lot of Sports people were taking Steroids in the 1970's,80's,90's and even up to now.
    Everyone knows that.

Remember his second goal when he ran past 4 english players like they were standing still, like Speedy Gonzalez ? :)

Speedy Gonzalez at his best. He was probably on steroids too. :)
    41MBFSMEUtL.jpg
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 7,500

A lot of Sports people were taking Steroids in the 1970's,80's,90's and even up to now.
    Everyone knows that.

Remember his second goal when he ran past 4 english players like they were standing still, like Speedy Gonzalez ? :)

41MBFSMEUtL.jpg

He was caught for taking ephedrine in 94, yes. To go from there to bombastically accusing him of taking steroids is very far fetched though. And no, that run in the 86 quarter final is not particularly notable for its speed. The velocity itself doesn't stand out. The technique, timing, ball control, agility and balance does however. On physicality itself Maradona didn't stand out from his era. Particularly not in terms of muscle strength, which is the main benifit you get from taking steroids. So your accusations are not only completely irrelevant for the topic at hand, they are also nonsensical and quite laughable.

Everyone knows that.

41MBFSMEUtL.jpg

He was caught for taking ephedrine in 94, yes. To go from there to bombastically accusing him of taking steroids is very far fetched though. And no, that run in the 86 quarter final is not particularly notable for its speed. The velocity itself doesn't stand out. The technique, timing, ball control, agility and balance does however. On physicality itself Maradona didn't stand out from his era. Particularly not in terms of muscle strength, which is the main benifit you get from taking steroids. So your accusations are not only completely irrelevant for the topic at hand, they are also nonsensical and quite laughable.

Because ephedrine is a sympathomimetic and a central nervous system stimulant, it is commonly used as an energy enhancer. Ma huang-containing products are marketed and used to improve aerobic performance and endurance, reduce fatigue, increase alertness, improve reaction time, and even increase strength.

You should do your homework better.

You think Saint Diego took only cocaine in his time do you ?
    You are so gullible.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Why don't you answer the basic questions?
    Can you do that or are you a stubborn Donkey ?
    Hey Wizz Rat
    Knucklehead.
    you Old Fart
    Hurry up and tell your boyfriend jobo.......

These are actual insults in 2018? Seriously? This would be feeble in a school playground circa 1981. I'm actually embarrassed for you throwing out such limp barbs you make Boris Grishenko look like Gore Vidal.

He's (Salah) has scored braces against Juventus and the like in his time in serie A, so he doesn't just score against teams lower in the table as you were Crying about, Knucklehead.

Oh dear, now just making stuff up to fit your increasingly desperate narrative.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=63655&season_id=150

It only takes a few seconds to see every brace he has scored and the roll call during 'his time in Serie A' is the following:

Juventus (in the cup, not even Serie A but I'll let you have it as you seem to be hanging your whole argument on this), Palermo, Fiorentina, Pescara, Chievo.

I think most Juventus fans would take umbrage at your use of the words 'Juventus and the like' given between them the above teams have won a paltry 2 Scudettos and zero European Cups compared to Juve's 33 titles and 2 European Cups. The fact is that none of the teams he has scored a brace against are 'like' Juve in the slightest. With the possible exception of Fiorentina (who are half decent but no more) all those teams are bog average to shite so yes he does just score braces against teams that are 'lower in the table'.

Steroids aren't out of the question.......

Everyone knows that.

Speedy Gonzalez at his best. He was probably on steroids too.

Mods you might want to keep an eye on these speculative posts which, given Maradona was only ever banned in 94 for substance abuse, skate dangerously close to libel. I imagine Diego probably has deeper pockets than both @001 and MI6 when it comes to funding a legal battle and he has been known to settle things with gunfire rather than through the law so I'd advise caution all round when accusing the bloke of cheating.

Despite your Jose blindness it's good to know that at least some people here understand football boyfriend.
    As you say the goal in 86 had very little to do with speed and everything to do with technique. The pitch was like a ploughed field and if you watch the way the wall bobbles the skill to keep it under control is phenomenal and dare I say, despite him never scoring a brace against Pescara to my knowledge, world class.

Steroids only make you faster and stronger. They can't make you more skilful. Maradona could have been doped up so much he could run 100m faster than Usain Bolt but the skill to keep the ball glued to his foot was all natural.

Ironically one player who would benefit from steroids to run faster and be stronger (although I have to say I for a smallish guy I have been impressed with his upper body strength) is Salah. With even more pace he could hit teams faster on the break and have more time to compose his finish. Not that this would necessarily make him world class of course, merely faster.
    Indeed. If we look at the full picture (rather than the convenitenly cropped one that @001 provided) Shilts' feet are almost still on the ground:
    356F621400000578-0-image-a-1_1466586485436.jpg

Keep calm and pass the ball to Salah.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Furthermore, ever heard of “not guilty until proven otherwise”? @001

I’m not the biggest fan of Diego’s, but your accusations are ridiculous.

Why do you pick on CR7 about what substances he has been taking ?

Is it because you are a Barca fan and you are jealous of their success, 2 CL in a row, and CR7 winning the Ballon d'Or 5 times ?
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Furthermore, ever heard of “not guilty until proven otherwise”? @001

I’m not the biggest fan of Diego’s, but your accusations are ridiculous.

I'm a big fan of Maradona's actually.

I said "probably on steroids" NOT "was on steroids"

Ask the English fans if he was on steroids........
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 7,500

Is it because you are a Barca fan and you are jealous of their success, 2 CL in a row, and CR7 winning the Ballon d'Or 5 times ?

If you were mature and intelligent enough you would probably pick up on the fact that my comment was actually a compliment to Cristiano. He is the example of someone who in fact can jump higher than the average player, in stark contrast to Maradona.

I suggest you go to bed now. You have been making a fool of yourself enough as it is... I will not waste more time than I already have on you. We can possibly discuss football the day you come back and show you are grown up enough to keep a sensical debate without decoys and insults that belong in kindergarten.

If you were mature and intelligent enough you would probably pick up on the fact that my comment was actually a compliment to Cristiano. He is the example of someone who in fact can jump higher than the average player, in stark contrast to Maradona.

I suggest you go to bed now. You have been making a fool of yourself enough as it is... I will not waste more time than I already have on you. We can possibly discuss football the day you come back and show you are grown up enough to keep a sensical debate without decoys and insults that belong in kindergarten.

Hear hear.

Good comeback, Señorita . You and your girlfriend ( wizzer ) are so witty.......
    You hate CR7. Admit it.

Yellow card for your rant.

Yellow-Card-Hand-619x413.jpg

Hear hear.

Another great comeback, Madam. At least say something witty or you'll be banned from the football discussion. :)

Yellow card for your Laziness.

Yellow-Card-Hand-619x413.jpg
    @TheWizardOfIce You are an old fart ....just like me he he ;)
    @TheWizardOfIce You are an old fart ....just like me he he ;)

The guy really knows how to hurt. I'm sat in the shower with my clothes on at this moment. He's like Christopher Hitchens with a Salah fetish.
    Hurry up and tell your boyfriend jobo.......
    You and your girlfriend ( wizzer )

I'm starting to observe a repetetive undercurrent of homosexuality with some of his alleged 'put downs'. Whether this is merely due to the paucity of his wit or an obsession with gay sex that would make for an interesting Freudian analysis (and possibly go some way to explaining his Salah infatuation) is debatable, although I would lean towards the former.

I don't know about the rest of you but I have to confess to a curiously voyeuristic fascination in watching a man have a protracted mental breakdown over a series of days and weeks.