What If James Bond delivered Sterling Archer's Lines?

2»

Comments

• I've had Archer on the brain a lot lately, so alongside my current main art projects I took breaks to do fun little strips where I have Bond repeating lines from the Archer show that I thought were best applicable to a Bond or moment.

Hahaha, very nice! I especially love Craig's face at the end of the first one.

I've been meaning to make more Bond/Archer mashups too. There's a few I've been thinking of that would be just perfect.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2018 Posts: 28,694
    Haha, this is really hilarious! Complete with an Archer styled font, too! Nice detail. :-)
    @Torgeirtrap, cheers. I was surprised to find that the Archer font wasn't an original typeface, and was instead one that's been around a while, making it easy to find online. I think it adds a special something to the strips that would be missing regardless.
    jackdagger wrote: »
    Hahaha, very nice! I especially love Craig's face at the end of the first one.

I've been meaning to make more Bond/Archer mashups too. There's a few I've been thinking of that would be just perfect.
    @jackdagger, cheers to you as well. One night I was just laughing out loud at some Archer quotes, got the idea to go back and do more Bond/Archer mashups, and tried to think of moments in the series where certain lines from the show would be applicable, the latter of which was the most fun. Some scenes were just perfect, like the CR torture and that smile of Dan's to close it off. I was laughing quite a bit just making them. ;)
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    Call Kenny Loggins. Cause you're in the Danger Zone.

You can't possibly imagine how many times Jase used that line in the field during training missions!

It made me (us) do two things.

One: Watch an episode of Archer online (Diversity Hire). Because it's his favorite episode and I can see why.

Two: Listening to Danger Zone on Spotify.

Jase does a veritable Archer impersonation by the way!
    Haha, this is really hilarious! Complete with an Archer styled font, too! Nice detail. :-)
    @Torgeirtrap, cheers. I was surprised to find that the Archer font wasn't an original typeface, and was instead one that's been around a while, making it easy to find online. I think it adds a special something to the strips that would be missing regardless.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Had to check myself since you wrote it. It's called Baveuse, according to a Reddit user that looks to be working on Archer. I'm so used to see licensed fonts being used, so this was quite a surprise. Wonder why, actually. Not that it's a bad font choice or anything, but it can't be common for tv shows (animated or not) to go for free fonts.

Nice addition to the strips in any case!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Had to check myself since you wrote it. It's called Baveuse, according to a Reddit user that looks to be working on Archer. I'm so used to see licensed fonts being used, so this was quite a surprise. Wonder why, actually. Not that it's a bad font choice or anything, but it can't be common for tv shows (animated or not) to go for free fonts.

@Torgeirtrap, yes, Baveuse is the typeface. I think the team went with it for its vintage look, but also with a free font that isn't licensed they wouldn't have to pay for its use.

@Torgeirtrap, yes, Baveuse is the typeface. I think the team went with it for its vintage look, but also with a free font that isn't licensed they wouldn't have to pay for its use.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 They were bang on (if that the right way to phrase it) about the typeface. Stylistically, it shares it's likeness with many funky 60's fonts and custom typefaces. Nothing wrong with using free fonts – it's actually quite fun that they have, but licensing a font is really a drop in the ocean for tv companies (I actually hope they paid those who made the font something, really – even if it's a free font). From my own experience, using free fonts can be a mixed bag. Some are good, but compared to a lot of licensed fonts, the spacing between letters can be off, etc. Licensed fonts usually don't have problems like these, and are easier to use without making adjustments on your own. This might not be an issue at all with Baveuse, and again, it's quite fun that they used a free font which we all can use on our own!

In comparison for example, the font Gotham (made by Hoefler & Co) – which is used to make the Spectre logo, is quite expensive.
    @Torgeirtrap, having fonts that accessible is a blessing, and in the age of the internet you can download a lot of genuine movie/TV fonts or close recreations of logos or typefaces made by fans. For a graphic artist, that kind of availability is mightily appreciated!
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 17,241
    @Torgeirtrap, having fonts that accessible is a blessing, and in the age of the internet you can download a lot of genuine movie/TV fonts or close recreations of logos or typefaces made by fans. For a graphic artist, that kind of availability is mightily appreciated!

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Indeed! Without going way too off topic here, Google Fonts is a great place to find good, free fonts. There's plenty of nice ones there, which can also easily be used on websites, for example!
    @Torgeirtrap, I usually find myself on dafont.com when I'm in a pinch, but I've amassed such a collection that I don't find myself heading on there much anymore. Just try to get by with what I have, which I think is best. I can already take a good hour to find the right typeface for a poster I'm making anyway, so I don't need to add more typeface selections to my list!
    @Torgeirtrap, I usually find myself on dafont.com when I'm in a pinch, but I've amassed such a collection that I don't find myself heading on there much anymore. Just try to get by with what I have, which I think is best. I can already take a good hour to find the right typeface for a poster I'm making anyway, so I don't need to add more typeface selections to my list!

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 You can never get enough fonts! If that special font gives whatever you are working on that little extra, it's worth looking for. Have used dafont.com myself. The quality of those fonts varies, but I've seen some nice ones there lately. For most purposes though, I use Google Fonts. Send me a DM if you are searching for some specific fonts! :-)
    I never found Archer funny, and probably never will.
    boldfinger wrote: »

It's a matter of taste, I guess. Archer is a kind of show you either like or you don't.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

It's a matter of taste, I guess. Archer is a kind of show you either like or you don't.
    Exactly. I also hated it at first, but it grew on me slowly. I went in expecting a James Bond parody on my first viewing, but it’s an entirely different animal despite being a spy sitcom (the first four seasons at least). You just have to get the joke. They’re all crude. That’s why they’re funny. I have to say though that I don’t like where the series is heading. The latest season was short and too much of a bore.

Exactly. I also hated it at first, but it grew on me slowly. I went in expecting a James Bond parody on my first viewing, but it’s an entirely different animal despite being a spy sitcom (the first four seasons at least). You just have to get the joke. They’re all crude. That’s why they’re funny. I have to say though that I don’t like where the series is heading. The latest season was short and too much of a bore.

Haven't seen the latest season yet. Any reason why it has less episodes?

Budget reduction, I’m guessing. The show went from F/X to a subsidiary network.

Did not know that. Looks like the next season will be a period piece as well. Enjoy Archer most when it's regular spy stuff, really.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423

Did not know that. Looks like the next season will be a period piece as well. Enjoy Archer most when it's regular spy stuff, really.
    Yes, and it appears there's a pirate angle to it. The show lost most of its glamour since Season 5.

Yes, and it appears there's a pirate angle to it. The show lost most of its glamour since Season 5.

Yes, it's the same impression season 6 and 7 gave me too. Guess they couldn't keep up doing the spy routine season after season.

Yes, it's the same impression season 6 and 7 gave me too. Guess they couldn't keep up doing the spy routine season after season.
    It was more the name of the agency they worked for that got all the concerns so they tried to subvert the show. Didn't work. Not even a bit. They should've just renamed the agency and went ahead with the same standards.

It was more the name of the agency they worked for that got all the concerns so they tried to subvert the show. Didn't work. Not even a bit. They should've just renamed the agency and went ahead with the same standards.

Did not know that this was the reason for them to shift things around. Renaming the agency could have been easy – maybe working a storyline around it as well.
    I don't have much interest in watching the newer Archer seasons, as I don't like where they've taken it. But those first group of seasons are great, and where the heart of the show was.

We're lucky to get five good seasons of any show, so I'm happy with what Archer has provided. But as with many programs before it, in a need to reinterpret or refresh itself, it jumps many sharks or becomes a shadow of what it was or should be.
    I don't have much interest in watching the newer Archer seasons, as I don't like where they've taken it. But those first group of seasons are great, and where the heart of the show was.

We're lucky to get five good seasons of any show, so I'm happy with what Archer has provided. But as with many programs before it, in a need to reinterpret or refresh itself, it jumps many sharks or becomes a shadow of what it was or should be.

Agreed. Will still watch the new season when it comes. There's usually some good jokes around, no matter the setting.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423
    It jumps many sharks or becomes a shadow of what it was or should be.
    It already did, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. The latest season was a re-imagining of the events occurred in the first 3-4 seasons with the fun/glamour/wit removed completely. So, either Adam Reed ups his game, or the show will go off on low rankings.