The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    ha ha love Felix, he is always in such a good mood in this film
    Bond and airplanes....sheesh.... ha ha
    already over.....sigh....
    yes this film is pretty flawless
    Sorry I missed out on GOLDFINGER. Fairly busy day today. Sounds like you guys enjoyed it. It remains my number one Bond film.
    Starting SF now.
    This PTS has actually grown on me. I don’t think it’s the greatest, but it’s a good first sequence.
    Skyfall is such a better song than Writing’s on the Wall it’s ridiculous. Superior opening title sequence too. Already having a much better time with this one.
    Craig's performance in SF is noticeably superior to the one in SP. He coasts far too much in the latter, and lacks a lot of the edge he used to have in his earlier films. Craig's Bond probably shouldn't be any more lighthearted than he is in SF.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited January 2018 Posts: 1,984
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Craig's performance in SF is noticeably superior to the one in SP. He coasts far too much in the latter, and lacks a lot of the edge he used to have in his earlier films. Craig's Bond probably shouldn't be any more lighthearted than he is in SF.

Yep. Craig did the casualness (in terms of balancing it with intensity; I don't mind him being all intense like in CR or QoS either) best in SF.
    SF is Craig's most balanced Bond performance probably. His performance in CR is amazing though, even though it focuses on the intense side.

Onto the Shanghai sequence - some of my favorite minutes in the Bond franchise. So far, this viewing of SF has been as great as any. Loving it.
    Same here. It almost always feels fresh and energizing to me too.

Silva making his entrance. A Top 10 Bond villain for me. Watching this a day after SP is just crazy; SF is basically superior in every single aspect.
    In particular, SF handles the themes of Bond/MI6's relevancy so much better than how it's done in SP. It was unnecessary to even try that theme again in the first place, let alone how inferior they handled it in SP. Bond's relevancy and rebirth (the classic setup return at the end especially) is a big part of SF, and it's executed very well I think.
    I really do miss Judi Dench's M. She was terrific in the role, and SF was her absolute best turn. Ralph Fiennes is a good M, but not on the same level. I wouldn't normally agree with making M's character a centerpiece of the plot, but for SF it just works so well.

The courtroom shootout is a good scene too. There are very few moments of this film I'm not fond of. I particularly love the last third at the mansion, which isn't beloved by most, but is a personal favorite segment of mine.
    I like Albert Finney's inclusion. It works. Would have maybe felt too isolated with just M and Bond the whole third act until Silva arrives. It's isolated enough.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    I think Fiennes will really hit his stride when he's paired with a new Bond. He will just be that much older than the new Bond that I'm hoping it'll start working on that respect level that Bernard and Sean had all those years ago. Particularly in DN. Watching that first meeting scene between the two is fantastic.
    This climax is one of my favorites in the series, while SP’s is right near the bottom for me. There is just so much more energy and excitement in SF! Not sure why people don’t like this ending. The last 30 minutes of this movie are awesome to me.
    Of course it was Robert Brownjohn for the next two. For titles.
    I loved what Robert Brownjohn brought to FRWL and GF titles. It does seem that Binder was at his best and benefited creatively when he had some competition for his job.
    "If at first you don't succeed...
    ...Try, try again."

After last nights futile attempt to watch Skyfall, I'll give it another try.

Not going to watch that Pts again, although it's worth watching for Judi Dench.

Skipping to the titles.
    Adele‘s title song is quite alright.
    The titles are too visual overload. Less would have been better.
    what’s with the bulldog? do I miss inside information here?
    Craig and the scorpion.
    Seriously, can you imagine Brosnan, Moore, Dalton, Lazenby or Connery doing this instead of being in London reporting to M??
    I can't. Therefore I don't buy this. Badly written.
    Bond finally remembers that he is a patriot. About damn time.
    Judi Dench saves the day.

Thankfully she has so much screen time in the first half hour. Otherwise this would barely be watchable.
    The new MI6. Very good!
    Love Bond getting tested in the physical department. Very well done.
    And let me tell you Craig is in fantastic shape for a 44 year old.
    The psychiatrist stuff is just stupid.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I find that to be quite a fun little scene with the psychiatrist, it’s got some jokes
    edited January 2018 Posts: 2,005
    @JamesBondKenya

I admit I had to smile during that sequence. I just don't get the purpose of it, it seems just to exist to put the word SKYFALL on the map.
    Q and Bond. Always good. To cast a nerdy hipster may be questionable but SP proved that it was the right decision.