The Wizarding World of Harry Potter and the Works of JK Rowling

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2017 Posts: 4,043
    Really enjoyed Fantastic Beasts look forward to the sequel, strange with the exception of DH Part 1 think PS & COS while very entertaining all the other films are much better.

Columbus does an impressive job of putting the books on the screen but it all feels too much, the way they adapt POA is just genius, the way they condense it and cut to the chase is what makes it my favourite, Cuaron knocks it out the park.

DH pt 1 was always going to be a struggle as the first half of the book is rather meandering whereas the second half gets all the best bits so DH pt 2 is much better.

1. POA
    2. GOF
    3. DH 2
    4. HBP
    5. OOTP
    6. COS
    7. PS
    8. DH 1

Due another Potter run through with the run up to Christmas this year and have already earmarked Fantastic Beasts for Chrismas Day. Haven't seen it since the cinema viewing, I might be 45 but I still love a bit of Potter. Far more consistent than most franchises in my book and the unique experience save Dumbledore of seeing all the characters grow up with each subsequent film.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,102
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Really enjoyed Fantastic Beasts look forward to the sequel, strange with the exception of DH Part 1 think PS & COS while very entertaining all the other films are much better.

Columbus does an impressive job of putting the books on the screen but it all feels too much, the way they adapt POA is just genius, the way they condense it and cut to the chase is what makes it my favourite, Cuaron knocks it out the park.

DH pt 1 was always going to be a struggle as the first half of the book is rather meandering whereas the second half gets all the best bits so DH pt 2 is much better.

1. POA
    2. GOF
    3. DH 2
    4. HBP
    5. OOTP
    6. COS
    7. PS
    8. DH 1

Due another Potter run through with the run up to Christmas this year and have already earmarked Fantastic Beasts for Chrismas Day. Haven't seen it since the cinema viewing, I might be 45 but I still love a bit of Potter. Far more consistent than most franchises in my book and the unique experience save Dumbledore of seeing all the characters grow up with each subsequent film.

Bought Fantastic Beasts today not watched the film as yet glad there is a few positive reviews, due a rewatch off the Potter films I recently bought my third boxset off the series second on BD.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Columbus' work on the Potter films is criminally underrated and although I've already listed my rankings in order of favourites; I'm actually leaning towards CoS arguably being the best of all 8 films.

Have you guys watched the films' (the first 2 at least that I'm aware of) extended editions?

This was an agreeable read:

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/chamber-secrets-harry-potter-film

I'm sure I saw the extended cut at some point in my childhood, though the next time I run through the films I'll probably seek out the latest blu-ray release that no doubt has those included (one would hope).

Glad to see you have CoS in consideration for your favorite, @doubleoego. When I think of it the first word that comes to mind is "epic." The scale, the power, the richness of it all, and the story covers so many amazing moments in the series. The basilisk battle alone is legendary, and it's such a beautifully crafted movie in every way, from production design to music, effects and atmosphere even in a way the others don't match for me. A fantastic effort, and a lot of that is down to Columbus and his team who just did it the best.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Columbus' work on the Potter films is criminally underrated and although I've already listed my rankings in order of favourites; I'm actually leaning towards CoS arguably being the best of all 8 films.

Have you guys watched the films' (the first 2 at least that I'm aware of) extended editions?

This was an agreeable read:

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/chamber-secrets-harry-potter-film

Completely agree with you. Columbus did an incredible job. There's a reality to his films that was eschewed in favour of more elaborate CGI further down the line, but his work was still just as magical, if not more so for me.

Great point, @RC7. I not only think the effects of the early Potter are better realized, but also that the less emphatic nature of them are far better served than the later films when it comes to presenting the magic of the films. This may be an an issue of practical vs. effects too, as I think the emphasis on computerized vs. practical later on gives the movies more of a hollowness.

Just reading this shows you how revolutionary and clever the teams of those early films were:

http://screenrant.com/harry-potter-practical-special-effects-not-cgi/

It's also no secret why the first four films are the only ones mentioned, and the first two the heaviest of all, for their practical effects. Much like we see in movies like Star Wars, when the effects are man made directly there's a great reality and texture to it all, and not artificiality. That Aragog, Fawkes and the basilisk (a big chunk of the time) were practical creations and not computer generated gives them so much more impact when they are on screen. You can see the feathers reacting to the movement Fawkes is making, just like the movements of Aragog's legs by the animators causes real crunching and rustling on the ground because it was real. And of course the giant basilisk the team made for those close-up shots made me terrified when I was a kid; the scales, the moistness on its skin and the animatronic jaw and eyes that moved like a real beast felt so real to me and I was so uncomfortable and frightened alongside Harry.

I think it's a great misfortune that Columbus didn't stick around, because he just knew how to do effects and paint worlds. He really understood the value of practical effects that pushed the boundaries of their use in the medium at the time. Because he made a choice to do so much for real in those films they have such a great impact and reality despite existing in a fantasy world and even do this day you can still watch those films and exclaim, "No way they did that for real!"

David Yates for my money is the weakest of all the Potter directors, so I lament that he got to direct the most films out of all of the rest. There's more artificiality in those last films than I care to see, and not as much emphasis on the practical effects that made the early Potter films so special. Adding on top of that is the man's lack of an artistic eye, and his favoring of a colder and more ordinary shooting style in comparison to a Columbus or Cuarón who you could tell put amazing thought into every shot with the mind of a true artist. I guess from a Bond perspective it's like comparing Hunt with a Glen, and how the series moved from a visionary director who made the films their own rich visual experiences to one who just shot a movie like a commercial with not as much of an emphasis on the power of the framed image.

If I could go back in time I'd have Columbus direct at least PoA and GoF (I'd love to see how his team handled the Triwizard tournament and all the effects therein) and I'd give Richard Harris immortality so that he could be Dumbledore all the way to the end. The latter is what really hurts me, not only for the loss of such a great actor, but also for the inferior replacement that fell in after him. I can only imagine how powerful the ending of HPB would have been with Richard there, the only Dumbledore we'd known. It's one of the fine castings in modern cinema, if not ever, for how he perfectly nailed the wise, grandfatherly touch of the character and his devil may care and overt bias towards Gryffindor whenever he threw points their way. He just felt so right, and so warm. A real shame, but those first two movies are just perfection for the series and everything else follows after for me.
    I'm not as well versed in Potter as most of you, but reading these posts here really makes me want to go back and revisit the films. I have the bare minimum of experience with them.

I grew up in the Potter heyday but oddly enough never read them until I was in my early twenties. I saw the films first, or at least the films up through Goblet of Fire, mostly on ABC Family in bits and pieces here and there during the holidays. When I did finally get to the subsequent four films, the shift in tone and quality you all are speaking of here definitely stood out. Again, I don't feel like I'm familiar enough with the films to even attempt a ranking of them, but I can most certainly understand how the first four would fare far better and be looked on more favorably.

As a further note, I do feel comfortable enough with the books to rank those, and with all this talk of CoS I thought I'd leave this here. ;)

1. CoS
    2. HBP
    3. GoF
    4. DH
    5. OoTP
    6. PS
    7. PoA

Carry on with the film talk, though, and entice me into a marathon. You're all very close.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited September 2017 Posts: 6,757
    My favourites are Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince. I think the series really peaked at that moment.

These two films have so many moving scenes in them with the passing of two Harry's mentors being the obvious ones. But also for instance the great funeral of Aragog.

There is also a sense of mysterious, almost horrorlike, creepiness in both films such as Harry's link to Voldemort's mind and the flashbacks of Riddle. 'I can speak to snakes too.' Always sends shivers down my spine.

Nevertheless I also have fond memories of Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban. Both of them finding a balance between mystery and child-friendly entertainment. Love the design of the Chamber too!

Both parts of Deathly Hallows really miss the school life setting in my opinion though the last one does have many touching scenes and that Gringot escape.

As for Goblet of Fire I rate it in the middle because I feel it is a bit too episodial and I really don't like that rock festival ending of the ball, worst moment in the series for me. The Quidditch World Cup is also rather poorly treated. Nevertheless much to enjoy as well with Voldemort's return being especially memorable.

Philosopher's Stone is my least favourite, it's a tad too much aimed at the kids for me and it feels really long in places. In a way the atmosphere is just not creepy enough for me.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2017 Posts: 4,043
    I might be wrong but if you were an adult when the franchise began and I have read all the books, I think you might favour the films POA onwards.

I get the magical element of those first 2 and they miles ahead of the SW prequels but I prefer the darker turn the films take and the casting improves greatly with POA, Oldman, Thewlis, Spall etc, that film is an utter treat.

I've always been happy with Yates but I know he has a lot of critics, Cuaron is my favourite, my Wife's favourite is GOF and I rate that as well and Newell did an admirable job, pity his proposed version of the much loved christmas based childrens novel The Box of Delights never materialised, I would say Rowling defintely lifted from this.

I know some object to the adaptations as they cut a lot out and concentrate on more of a Potter centric approach but the books are the books, to do these like that it would need to be a TV show.

I think the writers do a rather impressive job of getting these down to a point where they can fit into films.

Both Columbus films feel like they couldn't let anything go and feel a little too jammed for my liking.

I'm a fan of the books but I understand you can't everything and I can't imagine anyone was that bothered about the exorcised sub plot of Dobby in Order of The Phoenix?

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    wumo56a93ce709a2c9.15118474.png
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Overuse of the Lacarnum Inflamari spell.
    WUMO-comics-Harry-Potter-291207.jpeg
  • 1.COS
    2.POA
    3.PS
    4.DH
    5.HBP
    6.GOF
    7.OOTF
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    http://www.imdb.com/news/ni61588777?pf_rd_m=A2FGELUUNOQJNL&pf_rd_p=2540377602&pf_rd_r=0KEP7R1CJXFSVNMJ64EW&pf_rd_s=center-6&pf_rd_t=15061&pf_rd_i=homepage&ref_=hm_nw_tp1_sm
    Jessica Williams has joined the Warner Bros.’ sequel to “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.”
    The studio has also cast Brontis Jodorowsky as Nicolas Flamel, known in J.K. Rowling’s wizarding world as an alchemist who discovered the Elixir of Life. Other newly announced cast members include Fiona Glascott, Wolf Roth, Victoria Yeates, Derek Riddell, Poppy Corby-Tuech and Cornell S. John.

Funny is that Jessica Williams sharing her birthday and month with JK Rowling.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    My ratings for Potter Universe films...

1. Prisoner of Azkaban
    2. Chamber of Secrets
    3. Philosophers Stone
    4. Goblet of Fire
    5. Deathly Hallows pt 2
    6. Half Blood Prince
    7. Order of the Phoenix
    8. Deathly Hallows pt 1
    9. Fantastic Beasts
    Went to the Wizarding World in Orlando back in April It really it amazing how they recreated all of that. It really felt you were in the world of Harry Potter. I recommend people who haven't gone should go.
    I have read the first 3 books and I'm currently reading the 4th and plan to read the rest. My movie rankings could change after reading the books but here are my Harry Potter movie rankings.

1. Half Blood Prince
    2. Deathly Hallows Part 2
    3. Prisoner of Azkaban
    4. Goblet of Fire
    5. Order of the Phoenix
    6. Deathly Hallows Part 1
    7. Chamber of Secrets
    8. Philosopher Stone
    1571478.gif
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    1571478.gif

And that's when a dark lord was created...
    31.jpg
    Yeah, I have sympathy for the rabbits. At some stage in life you begin to actually think about how the animals feel, and it's pretty upsetting. I feel the same about zoos, now that the boyhood excitement of seeing the animals has long died out. I know I'd hate to be caged up and in an artificial environment away from home.
    Yeah, I have sympathy for the rabbits. At some stage in life you begin to actually think about how the animals feel, and it's pretty upsetting. I feel the same about zoos, now that the boyhood excitement of seeing the animals has long died out. I know I'd hate to be caged up and in an artificial environment away from home.

You´re sounding like a vegan
    jobo wrote: »

You´re sounding like a vegan
    Nope, just suffering from empathy influenza. I'm a meat eater, but I also don't agree with a lot of how we treat animals. We're able to become outraged at some of the treatment humans get (if they're the right skin color and nationality) but when the same or worse are done to animals we don't seem to connect as much concern or empathy to them. If they could speak like we can, oh the things they might say about that.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    ''Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald'' is title of the second “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” movie.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/fantastic-beasts-2-title-first-photo-1202616420/
    November 16, 2017 7:43AM PT
    ‘Fantastic Beasts 2’ First Cast Photo, Title Revealed

Warner Bros. has unveiled the first photo and title for the “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” sequel: “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald.”

The second film in the “Harry Potter” prequel franchise will be released on Nov. 16, 2018. David Yates, who directed “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” and the final four “Potter” installments, is returning to helm the second film in the series from a script by “Harry Potter” creator J.K. Rowling. The spinoff franchise will consist of five films.

Rowling, David Heyman, Steve Kloves, and Lionel Wigram are producing. The movie will see the return of stars Eddie Redmayne as magical zoologist Newt Scamander, Katherine Waterston as Tina, Alison Sudol as Queenie, Dan Fogler as Jacob, Ezra Miller as Credence, Zoë Kravitz as Leta Lestrange, and Johnny Depp as dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald.

Jude Law is portraying future Hogwarts headmaster Albus Dumbledore, who orders his former student Newt Scamander to capture Grindelwald. Filming began in July.

“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” set in the 1920s in New York City, was released last November and grossed $814 million worldwide. Warner Bros. has not yet revealed when the third, fourth, and fifth films will be released.

Here’s the first look at the cast:

PuexDpm6_AN7YeMM.jpg

Looking forward to this, really enjoyed the first movie!
    af6b2960ac20a25f.jpg

7c37269a60e40bb4.jpg

DSIkl0hWkAAVj60.jpg

636499254719182591-grindelwald-beasts.jpg

Dumbledore looking like 60s Bond
    DSKjw05VwAAAqh-.jpg
    af6b2960ac20a25f.jpg

7c37269a60e40bb4.jpg

DSIkl0hWkAAVj60.jpg

DSKjw05VwAAAqh-.jpg

That's not Dumbledore
    af6b2960ac20a25f.jpg

7c37269a60e40bb4.jpg

DSIkl0hWkAAVj60.jpg

DSKjw05VwAAAqh-.jpg

That's not Dumbledore

Yes it is. Kindly check your facts. Jude Law has been cast as a 45 year old Dumbledore.
    af6b2960ac20a25f.jpg

7c37269a60e40bb4.jpg

DSIkl0hWkAAVj60.jpg

DSKjw05VwAAAqh-.jpg

That's not Dumbledore

Yes it is. Kindly check your facts. Jude Law has been cast as a 45 year old Dumbledore.

Seriously? Now I'm getting worried about the new film...
    I am really looking forward to this once it is released!
    I like Jude and all, but I think they missed a massive opportunity by not casting Jared Harris as a young Dumbledore. Not only for the obvious reason, but because the man's damn good just like his old man. And I simply don't get Albus vibes from Jude at all, sorry to say.
    Agree Richards son should have been cast as Dumbledore would have been perfect casting, the first film was ok though I think they need to improve with the second for the new films to continue.