Dynamite's Bond comics and graphic novels

Comments

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Yep! Saw it yesterday. Makes me really wish Diggle & Casalanguida return for a third arc.
    I think they will. Its a win win for everybody.
    Indeed!
    Diggle and Casalanguida are the best so far, but we have a couple good people on the Team. Benjamin Percy is a solid writer, just needs a better fitting artist.

And Ibrahim Moustafa can do both, writing and drawing, and could easily give Diggle/Casalanguida a run for their money if they give him a full series.
    My only gripe with Percy is the absolute undoing of what Felix Leiter is about. He's not just a rival CIA agent to Bond who puts his aside before his friendship with 007. If anything, Felix will put his life and career on the line to ensure neither Bond nor the world peace is in danger.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 5,185
    My only gripe with Percy is the absolute undoing of what Felix Leiter is about. He's not just a rival CIA agent to Bond who puts his aside before his friendship with 007. If anything, Felix will put his life and career on the line to ensure neither Bond nor the world peace is in danger.

Yeah i agree that was a misstep, but he had a very good grip on Bond and other aspects like Bonds banter with Bothroyd and M to his Relationship with the main Girl (going as far as one oversensitive reviewer calling him sexist and inapropriate :D) which is why i would gladly give him a second series but he needs to have a better artist next time. I enjoyed parts of Loboscos work but overall its too inconsistent and too... Comicbooky...
    He's better suited for Deadpool etc
    Should Percy get another 007 gig, I'll gladly recommend Aaron Campbell (Felix Leiter's artist) to work on the penciling department.
    Oh right! I totally forgot about those two.
    Yeah Campbell is definitly another good one!
    (can't go wrong with that Name either)
    Damn straight, sir! :D
    Yep! Saw it yesterday. Makes me really wish Diggle & Casalanguida return for a third arc.

That Kill Chain ending should pretty much squash any doubts about that @ClarkDevlin ;)

I fell like i should re-read the whole story before i can give a review, but it definitly is up there with Hammerhead. Only nitpick i would have is that it got a little bit too predictable towards the end and i wish we had seen more of Chantal Chevalier, easily my favorite Bond girl from any Bond comic. The finale reminded me quite a bit of DAD, but that was more due to location than anything else i think. The first half is much better for me than Hammerhead and up there with the best we've gotten from Dynamite so far.
    His Felix was the best also.

What i would like to see from Diggle in the future would be a real Bond villain.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I adore this cover:
    585390-_sx1280_ql80_ttd_.jpg
    Greg Smallwood delivers again. Get this man penciling for a future series!
    I adore this cover:
    585390-_sx1280_ql80_ttd_.jpg
    Greg Smallwood delivers again. Get this man penciling for a future series!

Oh, that's a nice cover! Lovely colour palette to go with the illustration, as well.
    00Agent wrote: »

That Kill Chain ending should pretty much squash any doubts about that @ClarkDevlin ;)

I fell like i should re-read the whole story before i can give a review, but it definitly is up there with Hammerhead. Only nitpick i would have is that it got a little bit too predictable towards the end and i wish we had seen more of Chantal Chevalier, easily my favorite Bond girl from any Bond comic. The finale reminded me quite a bit of DAD, but that was more due to location than anything else i think. The first half is much better for me than Hammerhead and up there with the best we've gotten from Dynamite so far.
    His Felix was the best also.

What i would like to see from Diggle in the future would be a real Bond villain.
    I agree, @00Agent. I share the exact same views that you have with Kill Chain. My OCD triggered big time when the artist made a very big mistake with Bond's outfit, as well. Bond wasn't wearing nor tucked his pants into a leg high military boots at the end of issue five. When did he find time to change it? Haha! :))

All in all, it was a fun ride. But, sadly, the comic played it rather too safe and we never had the chance to find a real villain to confront.

Somebody get Jared Harris to provide us with a real Bond villain role.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 5,185
    All in all, it was a fun ride. But, sadly, the comic played it rather too safe and we never had the chance to find a real villain to confront.

Somebody get Jared Harris to provide us with a real Bond villain role.
    Towards the end sadly yes. The finale lacked tension, maybe because Bond killed Rika so easily in Issue #1 and it was not like she got any superhuman strenght after that so we knew he could easily do it again. It's actually quite similar to DAD if you think about it, but there at least they gave the Villain an additional weapon with the Armor to have the Upper hand on Bond initially. But that finale had no tension either sadly.

In all honesty, Diggle should have dedicated most of the Final issue to Chantal and Bond shagging on an Greek Island :D now THAT would have been a good ending.

I hope the setup for the next adventure will provide a better villain, and this was just supposed to be a teaser in the overall story.
    As always, @00Agent, we're in agreement. :D
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Jared Harris is the ultimate live-action Moriarty in my eyes, though if he were in Bond I'd be worried that we'd just get a Moriarty 2.0 or something altogether not far removed from it. Not exactly on his part, as I think he's a real talent much like his old man, but because the script steered him in that direction rather unfairly.
    What’s wrong with getting a Moriarty 2.0 for Bond, mate?
    What’s wrong with getting a Moriarty 2.0 for Bond, mate?
    Because we've got a Moriarty already. Harris is far too good to be made to repeat himself. Part of the issue with the likes of Andrew Scott in SP is that, beyond not getting anything to do, he was essentially just repeating ticks he used in Sherlock, a perfectly Moriarty-centric example of why a Harris villain would make me reluctant if he was being asked to be like a role he's already played.

I don't want to see great actors who can play convincing villains play the same villains over and over again.
    Ah, you were referring to Moriarty 2.0 as in Harris being the second actor to have played Moriarty. That's true. Andrew Scott played a heavily watered down version of his Moriarty from Sherlock, much like how the case was for Waltz to play a watered down version of Hans Lada. But, Scott's characterization is explicitly different from Harris' own version of Moriarty, which I'll be very glad if Harris himself replicates that "act" in the Bond saga. It's the Bond villain James Bond deserves but has never had, in my opinion.
    Ah, you were referring to Moriarty 2.0 as in Harris being the second actor to have played Moriarty. That's true. Andrew Scott played a heavily watered down version of his Moriarty from Sherlock, much like how the case was for Waltz to play a watered down version of Hans Lada. But, Scott's characterization is explicitly different from Harris' own version of Moriarty, which I'll be very glad if Harris himself replicates that "act" in the Bond saga. It's the Bond villain James Bond deserves but has never had, in my opinion.
    My comment about Harris being Moriarty 2.0 wasn't a comment on the order he'd played Moriarty, as there's an extensive list of actors who've filled the role before his birth. What I meant was that I didn't want Harris cast in a Bond film only to be forced to play Moriarty against a Bond actor, hence Moriarty 2.0.

I don't think Scott played a watered down version of Moriarty, as he and C are very different, but the ticks/mannerisms and what they were asking of him were very similar in approach. The way he dresses down Bond in M's office is very similar to a scene where Holmes and he meet in Baker Street over tea, so it felt were obvious why he was cast. It was just too obvious, and that's part of why it doesn't work for me that well.

As for a Moriarty in Bond's world, that honor should be saved for Blofeld but we've yet to get a perfect version of that, unfortunately, and that's due to many factors, including casting changes, miscastings or flawed writing. I personally want to see Bond fighting villains that make sense for him, and I don't think a Moriarty is very applicable to him as a hero. The reason Moriarty works as a villain against Holmes is because he's a cerebral threat like the detective, and they can have their game of chess in a way that binds them as doppelgängers of a sort. This isn't to say Bond must always fight kind against kind with someone who is a mirror version of him, or that he can't face a cerebral threat. But I don't want to see EON adapting Moriarty in a Bond story in such a way that it feels like they're just stealing from Doyle. Better to do something new with a fresh villain, or create a new twist on the archetype.
    I have a question about Kill Chain :
    What the weapon traffic (financed by the art traffic) has to do with the plan of SMERSH, Hooded Falcon ? Does it was just for buying drones and weapon for eliminating spy/diplomate of the NATO agencies ?
    And this is my new year's tribute to Dynamite's Bond series...

QEZqb0M.jpg
    Love it!
    I'm very glad! :D
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Yeah, good stuff, @ClarkDevlin !
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Yeah, good stuff, @ClarkDevlin !
    Glad you like it, mate. :D
    very cool!
    Cheers! :D

3oD3YOGHMipjGI8TYs.gif
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    And this is my new year's tribute to Dynamite's Bond series...

QEZqb0M.jpg

Now that is awesome!