Last James Bond track or theme you listened to...

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,102

I love this version
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,102

Pretty decent instrumental

Awesome

Phenomenal
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Christ.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Christ.

It's grown on me this score over the years lol its no John Barry admittedly though I don't mind it
  • peterpeter Toronto
    YOLT soundtrack— awesome
    peter wrote: »
    YOLT soundtrack— awesome

One of John Barry's best
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Can't disagree @fire_and_ice ... The man was a genius and to rate his first seven efforts is a tough one-- outside of OHMSS being the pinnacle of those first seven...

I'm in a minority that likes, doesn't love MR...

I find he picks up with strong efforts for OP and AVTAK... with a slight, very slight, dip with TLD....
    Strictly speaking not from the film, but...

• peterpeter Toronto
    @mattjoes — always respected what David Arnold brought to the table!
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,102

One of my favourite themes
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,102

Awesome track

Dalton is a God!
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    Licence To Kill by Gladys Knight. Oh the joy. I think it's my favorite Bond theme. So powerful.

Actually like the TMWTGG score. It's fun and lighthearted, just like the movie.

There are some good tracks on the soundtrack, TMWTGG is always a fun listen.

There are some good tracks on the soundtrack, TMWTGG is always a fun listen.

Very much so. My personal favourite track from the TMWTGG score, is this one:

Not the most special Barry track necessarily, but the string section of this one is just brilliant, and has that "Barry touch", that no one does the same way.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    QoS: „Night At The Opera“

Pure class
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,241

Pure class

This is a lovely track, from a FANTASTIC score. My favourite bit of the TB score, is actually the repeating theme at the end of this track. Sounds even better in a larger scale, like this one:

Pure class

This is a lovely track, from a FANTASTIC score. My favourite bit of the TB score, is actually the repeating theme at the end of this track. Sounds even better in a larger scale, like this one:

It's one of my favourite Bond scores, I love when the music ramps up during the underwater battle when the shark appears, Barry at his best.
    Agree! Don't see much discussion about the TB score, but it's probably my favourite score, alongside OHMSS. It's very interesting how different those two scores are, even though they have that trademark Barry sound.

This made me try to find the «Mr. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang» song that was supposed to be the main theme for TB. Luckily both the Shirley Bassey version and the Dionne Warwick version was available on Youtube. Although we (luckily) got «Thunderball» with Tom Jones in the end, I must say that I liked this song – especially the Warwick version.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Agree! Don't see much discussion about the TB score, but it's probably my favourite score, alongside OHMSS. It's very interesting how different those two scores are, even though they have that trademark Barry sound.

This made me try to find the «Mr. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang» song that was supposed to be the main theme for TB. Luckily both the Shirley Bassey version and the Dionne Warwick version was available on Youtube. Although we (luckily) got «Thunderball» with Tom Jones in the end, I must say that I liked this song – especially the Warwick version.

When I watch TB I often play the audio alternative that allows you to play Mister Kiss Kiss Bang over the title sequence, I like both tracks though Warwick is slightly better than Tom Jones in this instance. Mister Kiss Kiss Bang is a brilliant song.

When I watch TB I often play the audio alternative that allows you to play Mister Kiss Kiss Bang over the title sequence, I like both tracks though Warwick is slightly better than Tom Jones in this instance. Mister Kiss Kiss Bang is a brilliant song.

It really is - we are spoiled when the unused main title theme is that good!
    What release of TB allows you to play an alternative audio track?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,102

It really is - we are spoiled when the unused main title theme is that good!
    What release of TB allows you to play an alternative audio track?

I have the Bond50 Bluray Boxset, though I would guess any Bluray version of TB will do it. When you play the film just toggle through the many commentarys until you hear the track. I can't remember if any of the DVD's had the same option.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 6,682
    Thunderball is a terrific score. It's interesting to compare with its immediate predecessor, Goldfinger. Whereas GF mostly used the eponymous title song and the Bond theme as its main recurring themes (with fleeting uses of the Oddjob motif and a suspenseful 4-chord progression played on brass), TB has a much greater number of recurring themes: the title song, the Bond theme, Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, the 007 theme, the flute theme for the underwater sequences, the Vulcan theme... even the unused car chase music counts as a recurring action theme if one considers it was also used for the PTS fight music. TB offers a larger, more elaborate score in which the title song isn't as omnipresent and varied in its uses as in GF, but is only one component of a larger series of musical ideas.

TB also has quite a different sound from GF. Where GF is bright, TB is "duller," more muted and sinister in its sound, in both string and brass passages.

Finally, the TB score is distinguished by its underwater cues; slow-paced, moody and evocative. They achieve probably the highest ideal in film music-- not only scoring the action and drama effectively but going a step beyond to take the main aesthetic elements of the film and transforming them into musical ideas. The flutes, harps, vibraphones and strings almost pop out of one's ears and allow one to visualize the idea of being underwater. I was just listening to Jerry Goldsmith's main title music for Medicine Man (starring Sean Connery, of course) and thinking that Goldsmith did a terrific job in using synthesizers to capture the essence of the sounds of the jungle and integrating them into his music. Pretty much what John Barry did with Thunderball.

As an aside, it's interesting to point out that Barry considered his score for 1977's The Deep to be one of his most difficult assignments, supposedly because of the great amount of underwater screentime. I wonder if Thunderball presented similar, albeit smaller challenges. I imagine underwater scenes are difficult to score because musically-speaking, the composer has to do some heavy lifting, given the reduced stimuli on a visual and narrative level.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Arnold's African rundown and time to get out. Great pieces of music.