How many Bond films should have Timothy Dalton done, and what titles would they be?

W_Glass_90W_Glass_90 Virginia
edited December 2017 in Bond Movies Posts: 24
I personally think Dalton should have done the same amount as Connery did starting with For Your Eyes Only in 1981 and ending with Licence to Kill in 1989. I feel as if Bond visiting Tracy's grave in the pre-title sequence in FYEO was meant to set the tone for not only that film, but for the future films of the 80's decade.

Comments

I think four would have been nice, with Pierce's era still beginning in '95 with GE.
    At the time I really wanted Tim to stick it out for six, but as the gap became longer and longer it seemed less likely.
    According to John Glen, he reckoned 'Risico' was going to be the next one with Dalton after LTK until the big delay with the court case!
    If I'm honest...none.
  • W_Glass_90W_Glass_90 Virginia
    @Mathis1

Really? That's interesting to know. I've always heard that the next installment was going to be "Property of a Lady" until plans fell through, and the series went on hiatus until GoldenEye in '95.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    My biggest Bond wish was at least two more Dalton's

1991 - Risico
    1993 - Property of a Lady

That way Brosnan still gets GE in 1995.

Dalton is my favourite Bond along with Connery so I could have watched him as 007 in a few more adventures.

• RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    1991 - The Property of a Lady: based on the Bond 17 treatment but less over the top.
    1993 - Risico or Death To Spies: uses ideas from the first draft of GE and some Fleming elements. The 90s FRWL.

OR

1992- an epic 30 year anniversary film. Maybe TPOAL.
  • barryt007 wrote: »
    If I'm honest...none.

I agree, he should have never done Bond. What I'm curious about is, if Pierce had been in Tim's films, would they have been more successful? In that I mean, would Pierce have made them better, or were the way Dalton's films were written the main problem with them?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    barryt007 wrote: »
    If I'm honest...none.

I agree as well.
    If I'm honest...none.

I agree, he should have never done Bond. What I'm curious about is, if Pierce had been in Tim's films, would they have been more successful? In that I mean, would Pierce have made them better, or were the way Dalton's films were written the main problem with them?

Its Brosnan who should never have done any. Cubby was not convinced about Brossa. Had to be convinced by Michael Wilson and John Glen. Cubby should have went with his instinct. Brosnan was miscast!
    Dalton was superb. Should have done at least 2 more!.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    If I'm honest...none.

Its Brosnan who should never have done any. Cubby was not convinced about Brossa. Had to be convinced by Michael Wilson and John Glen. Cubby should have went with his instinct. Brosnan was miscast!
    Dalton was superb. Should have done at least 2 more!.

I like Pierce Brosnan as well, as he's the one who first introduced me to James Bond, but I agree mostly with your assessment. Dalton was the embodiment of James Bond, and so much that he was first approached back in the late 60's to be Connery's successor before Moore or anyone else, but... as everyone knows he kindly turned down the offer due to his young age.

edited December 2017 Posts: 24
    If I'm honest...none.

I could not imagine Brosnan being in a film like Licence to Kill. The Living Daylights and Licence to Kill were both successful. They acually made more money than Octopussy and A View to a Kill.

Octopussy: 183.7 million USD
    A View to a Kill: 152.4 million USD

The Living Daylights: 191.2 million USD
    Licence to Kill: 156.1 million USD
    I could and it would have been amazing.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    A total of 6 with Dalton would be good. 12 would be better.

1986 The Secret Agent
    1987 The Living Daylights
    1988 Colonel Sun
    1989 Licence to Kill
    1990 Rouge et Noir
    1991 Risico
    1992 The Hildebrand Rarity
    1993 The Property of a Lady
    1994 Gale of the World

2003 Licence Renewed
    2004 Death to Spies
    2005 The Nature of Evil
    Would have been a disaster. Brossa not anywhere near as good as Dalton! I always find it amusing how some blame everthing from the scripts to the Director to the teaboy for the poor Brossa era, but the elephant in the room was Brossa himself. A poor choice. He brought nothing to the role except a smarmy clothes horse! His tenure was the poorest in the series. I was thrilled when i heard they had not asked him back after DAD! His youthful looks and box office success meant he could have made at least 3 more but the Producers had the savvy to realise he just wasnt working.The only downside was it took them so long!

1986 The Secret Agent
    1988 Colonel Sun
    1989 Licence to Kill
    1990 Rouge et Noir
    1991 Risico
    1994 Gale of the World

2003 Licence Renewed
    2004 Death to Spies
    2005 The Nature of Evil

You are a tough taskmaster with Dalton. Poor guy would be worn out on that schedule.
    He was committed. Use 'im when you got 'im.

With good material he would have loved it.
    He should have went home like he kept telling Pam and Q to do. :))

1986 The Secret Agent
    1988 Colonel Sun
    1989 Licence to Kill
    1990 Rouge et Noir
    1991 Risico
    1994 Gale of the World

2003 Licence Renewed
    2004 Death to Spies
    2005 The Nature of Evil

Out of respect for the character and source material, he probably wouldn't have gone on that long. In 1996 he would be turning 50, so around that time he would've probably stepped down. He wouldn't want to make the same mistake Roger Moore did. lol
    For Dalton, 2005 would have been easy.
    He looked the part, maybe more so, just plus up his hairline.
    W_Glass_90 wrote: »

1986 The Secret Agent
    1988 Colonel Sun
    1989 Licence to Kill
    1990 Rouge et Noir
    1991 Risico
    1994 Gale of the World

2003 Licence Renewed
    2004 Death to Spies
    2005 The Nature of Evil

Out of respect for the character and source material, he probably wouldn't have gone on that long. In 1996 he would be turning 50, so around that time he would've probably stepped down. He wouldn't want to make the same mistake Roger Moore did. lol

And to think if Roger had bowed out earlier we may have got 3 or 4 Dalton movies! Dalton was offered OP, but turned it down! Cant see him in that, but could easily see him in AVTAK, if all the comedic elements had been toned down, Dalton facing off against Walken would been a cracker!
    W_Glass_90 wrote: »

1986 The Secret Agent
    1988 Colonel Sun
    1989 Licence to Kill
    1990 Rouge et Noir
    1991 Risico
    1994 Gale of the World

2003 Licence Renewed
    2004 Death to Spies
    2005 The Nature of Evil

And to think if Roger had bowed out earlier we may have got 3 or 4 Dalton movies! Dalton was offered OP, but turned it down! Cant see him in that, but could easily see him in AVTAK, if all the comedic elements had been toned down, Dalton facing off against Walken would been a cracker!

In retrospect, Moore's swansong should've been Moonraker even if that film made a ton of money which I think was done for the fact that it's a popular title out of Ian Fleming's novels, and audiences were intrigued and curious how visually it would look on film. They probably should've showed Dalton the script to "For Your Eyes Only" instead since the tone of that movie was more of his type of movie. Octopussy was one of the campiest in the series, so I could understand why he turned it down. A View to a Kill with Dalton and Walken having the showdown on the Golden Gate Bridge is a dream scenario I've envisioned countless times. With another casting of another actress of the Stacy Sutton character (Michelle Pfeiffer would've been my choice) replacing Tanya Roberts and take away the awkward Grace Jones scenes, it would've been one of the best Bond films ever.
    Priscilla Presley was first choice for Stacey. I cant see either one being good with Dalton, but it would have been a great Bond movie. That climax on the Golden Gate Bridge is great fun. Well staged. FYEO, yes i could see Dalton in it, and that opening shot was a good set up for a new Bond. But i really like Roger in that. It would have been a good swansong!
    edited December 2017 Posts: 24
    Priscilla Presley was first choice for Stacey. I cant see either one being good with Dalton, but it would have been a great Bond movie. That climax on the Golden Gate Bridge is great fun. Well staged. FYEO, yes i could see Dalton in it, and that opening shot was a good set up for a new Bond. But i really like Roger in that. It would have been a good swansong!

It was actually the first Moore Bond film I ever saw and my second favorite of his, so I obviously have a liking for it. Even more so now knowing how much it feels like one of Fleming's stories come to life on screen more than any Bond film at that point probably since O.H.M.S.S., which was somewhat a predecessor to this film hence the opening sequence of Bond visiting Tracy's grave. I just think due to the tone of the film and what Moore was known for, it would've been a great start to Dalton's Bond and the 80's era. Regarding the casting choice for Stacy Sutton, anyone would've been ten times better than Tanya Roberts. lol I mainly picked Pfeiffer, because she was fresh off of her main film debut in Scarface at that time, and she proved in that film that she could act and that she had a great screen presence. I think A View to a Kill would've done even more wonders for her young career in 1985.
    Pfeiffer is indeed gorgeous and a good actress but i dont think she would have agreed to be a Bond girl! Just dont think it would have been one of her ambitions!
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    I'd have kept Moore up to Octopussy, just to be sure that EoN had the one-up on rivals like Never Say Never Again. After that, Dalton should have started with A View To A Kill in 1985 (I still don't understand why they needed Moore back for that), rewritten to accomodate him. Then the two he did and another two in 1991 and 1993 respectively. Probably The Property of a Lady and The Hildebrand Rarity.
    I'd have kept Moore up to Octopussy, just to be sure that EoN had the one-up on rivals like Never Say Never Again. After that, Dalton should have started with A View To A Kill in 1985 (I still don't understand why they needed Moore back for that), rewritten to accomodate him. Then the two he did and another two in 1991 and 1993 respectively. Probably The Property of a Lady and The Hildebrand Rarity.

I'd go along with that! Bottom line is we never got enough Dalton! When i think of all the wasted years in the 90s....
    Pfeiffer is indeed gorgeous and a good actress but i dont think she would have agreed to be a Bond girl! Just dont think it would have been one of her ambitions!

Never can really tell at this point.
    I think Tim could have been great in:

THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS
    LICENCE TO KILL
    THE PROPERTY OF A LADY
    COLONEL SUN
    ICEBREAKER
    BROKENCLAW
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Its the biggest shame in Bondom that Dalton didn’t get more films. I could have seen him doing a real back to character bond like DC, but better
    I dunno, I guess it depends on the part.
    4e1c4240d50d3d0bb548f94ebc26909fb3edcc2c.jpg?mw=600april-fools-halle-berry-to-return-as-catwoman-for-standalone-batman-movie-915178.jpg