No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I don’t know why is there even a doubt Craig will be back. Of course he will. Appearing on a widely viewed talk show and announcing his comeback then having it contradicted would only embarrass him and the Bond producers, who themselves confirmed his announcement.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    Craig‘s return quasi-guarantees a high box office ... or at least it‘s an option that‘s more on the safe side for the (new) distributor. That‘s why I am 100% sure Craig will be back for B25.
    I'm not sure his return guarantees a high box office at all. People conflate box office with Craig. Outside of the UK where he has been very successful as Bond since CR it's really the two Mendes entries which have hit it out of the park globally in comparison to the recent past (removing inflation). So one could more readily say Mendes is the guarantor of a high box office based on the evidence.

I agree that he is the 'safe' option for a distributor. If they don't strike a multi-year distribution deal then it's Craig for a one off. If they get a multi-year deal (and something tells me everyone would prefer that but there's a hold up for some reason and it could be because of business uncertainty at Warner and MGM) then it's Craig for one more only.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Craig‘s return quasi-guarantees a high box office ... or at least it‘s an option that‘s more on the safe side for the (new) distributor. That‘s why I am 100% sure Craig will be back for B25.
    I'm not sure his return guarantees a high box office at all. People conflate box office with Craig. Outside of the UK where he has been very successful as Bond since CR it's really the two Mendes entries which have hit it out of the park globally in comparison to the recent past (removing inflation). So one could more readily say Mendes is the guarantor of a high box office based on the evidence.

I agree that he is the 'safe' option for a distributor. If they don't strike a multi-year distribution deal then it's Craig for a one off. If they get a multi-year deal (and something tells me everyone would prefer that but there's a hold up for some reason and it could be because of business uncertainty at Warner and MGM) then it's Craig for one more only.

Did I just read that correctly?! Spectre “hit it out of the park globally”. Is that really you @bondjames? Shurely shome mishtake?!
    Getafix wrote: »

Did I just read that correctly?! Spectre “hit it out of the park globally”. Is that really you @bondjames? Shurely shome mishtake?!
    @Getafix, if you're jesting then kudos to you and I'll have a laugh along with you.

If you're being serious however, then my concerns about your general comments on some of my (and other member's) posts in the past six months are warranted, because they perhaps demonstrate a lack of contextual understanding & broad-brushing.

I have never said that SP was not a financially successful Bond film (although you've intimated in the past that I have, incorrectly). I've said that I didn't like the film, that Craig's legacy has been damaged, that I don't want to see Blofeld or Swann again, that I thought Craig's performance was weak, and that the script was a shambles. I also have said that the US box office and critical performance is very important (still) to Bond's marketability globally, because they own the media bullhorn and can influence the overall critical and box office reception on the margin due to that media leverage.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Do you lads think there still might be a chance Craig is done with Bond? Personally I can't see it but you never know.

Possible, but unlikely. It’d be quite awkward since he already formally stated he was coming back. I think they still haven’t found his replacement.

I remember I believe it was on the BBC's 40th Anniversary show with Michael Parkinson where they at the time had all the Bond's with the acception of Sean Connery under one roof. That Parky asked Pierce Brosnan whether he would return again for a 5th movie? To which he said well they have asked me back and I have said yes. We all know how that played out in the end. So who knows? But I have firmly believed for a long time now that it would be DC for a 5th film and that would be it.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited December 2017 Posts: 6,724
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I'm presently watching SP. I believe the criticism is warranted. The dialogue in this film is bloody awful.

The scenes between Belluci and Craig make me cringe

How can you talk like this? Can't you see I'm grieving?

:)) that whole scene is off for me, Craig is way too slimey also
    I'm presently watching SP. I believe the criticism is warranted. The dialogue in this film is bloody awful.

0RX3zXt.png
    This is the sort of look I was referring to in my quick commentary on the film in the Last Bond Movie thread. He either does this or snarls and smirks his way through. Either he's getting too old or he just can't do the requisite expressions, but he just comes across nasty more than anything else in this film. I hope he gets his act together for the next one, or else he should just exit the stage and let someone else in.

A slightly random comment perhaps, but I was just thinking these complaints about Craig --and others-- remind me of my own opinion on Peter Falk's performance as Columbo in seasons six and seven. He suddenly became arrogant and self-satisfied, as well as a tad cartoonish in fact, frequently grinning for no reason and talking with an exaggerated "noo yawk" accent.
    It's become rather boring, really. We've almost broke December in half, and there's no movement on the news side. By now, you'd think the director rumours would be granted a large initiation.
    It's become rather boring, really. We've almost broke December in half, and there's no movement on the news side. By now, you'd think the director rumours would be granted a large initiation.

Director will be announced in the new year. We've had quite a bit of director rumour mill already to be honest. Be patient.
    Dennison wrote: »
    We've had quite a bit of director rumour mill already to be honest. Be patient.
    Not a reassuring rumour that seems like a genuine one, however. Be it Yann Demange, Villeneuve or Nolan. Many rumours contradicted their involvement/offer which is why I do want a rather believable director rumour.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Not a reassuring rumour that seems like a genuine one, however. Be it Yann Demange, Villeneuve or Nolan. Many rumours contradicted their involvement/offer which is why I do want a rather believable director rumour.

To hell with rumors, I'd just like a confirmation. I'm hoping I don't sift through all these rumors that sound like delightful choices, just to end up with some piss poor choice in the director's seat.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

To hell with rumors, I'd just like a confirmation. I'm hoping I don't sift through all these rumors that sound like delightful choices, just to end up with some piss poor choice in the director's seat.
    Let me join the club on that opinion, mate. ;)

To hell with confirmation, I'd just like the movie! :))

We would've had one three weeks ago if it weren't for those damned distributors. ;)

We would've had one three weeks ago if it weren't for those damned distributors. ;)
    And here I was thinking it was some highly paid actor needing a break and wasting everybody's time trying to make a decision that was the hold up.
    A slightly random comment perhaps, but I was just thinking these complaints about Craig --and others-- remind me of my own opinion on Peter Falk's performance as Columbo in seasons six and seven. He suddenly became arrogant and self-satisfied, as well as a tad cartoonish in fact, frequently grinning for no reason and talking with an exaggerated "noo yawk" accent.
    Most of the Bond actors settle into an unfortunate groove once they've been in the role a while. Only Dalton and Laz didn't and that's because they never had a chance. They all start off playing the character and then as time progresses little personal ticks start to kick in. One either likes it, isn't bothered by it, or is annoyed by it.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423

And here I was thinking it was some highly paid actor needing a break and wasting everybody's time trying to make a decision that was the hold up.
    Whatever the story is behind the scenes, we could've had Bond 25 in late October/early November if it weren't for them. That being all those involved.

Whatever the story is behind the scenes, we could've had Bond 25 in late October/early November if it weren't for them. That being all those involved.
    And without him too, since he only made his decision in April to June by his own admission. It would have been my preference, but we are where we are, regrettably.
    I think Barbara Broccoli and Daniel Craig are just too friendly. Friends and business don't mix. If they had a more professional relationship she could've forced him to make up his mind sooner. She's too lenient.

Ugh, I sound like I know them personally.
    I think Barbara Broccoli and Daniel Craig are just too friendly. Friends and business don't mix. If they had a more professional relationship she could've forced him to make up his mind sooner. She's too lenient.

Ugh, I sound like I know them personally.
    Quote from Babs in 2012 talking about how Mendes got the gig:
    Daniel called us,” said Broccoli, “and said, ‘Last night I saw Sam and asked him to do the next Bond. Is that all right?’” A touch grimly, I thought, she added: “It’s a good job it was Daniel and not someone else!”
  • StrelikStrelik Spectre Island
    I think Barbara Broccoli and Daniel Craig are just too friendly. Friends and business don't mix.
    I feel the same way about Babs' unending favoritism towards P&W as scribes.
    If these are true then it’s time for EON to sell. Things have to be spiced up in the Bond series every so often.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    If these are true then it’s time for EON to sell. Things have to be spiced up in the Bond series every so often.

the grass isn't always greener my friend..

you may want them to sell - but it could end up in the hands of a producer(s) who would turn it into a complete shit show.. EON is doing fine...

and let us all bear in mind - we are merely fans, they don't have to adhere to anyone's schedule but their own... if they want to continue to make Bond movies, but take 5 years to make them from now on - then that is their prerogative.. it sucks, i know, because as a Metallica fan I want new music all the time.. but who am I to tell Metallica what to do with their time?.. and in the same regard, who are we to tell EON what to do with their property?.. just some food for thought.

in regards to Craig championing Mendes... it worked - one film was great, the other was average, and all personal opinions aside, both made money (1 of those being the most successful of all time, even after inflation).. so lets not treat it like Craig approached Tommy Wiseau or Uwe Boll and offered them the chance to direct Bond - and lets be realistic, if Babs and MGW did not think Mendes was good enough or qualified, in no way would he have been brought on..
    @haserot, I don't think he wants them to sell. That's not what he's saying.

At some point I think they probably will. The rumours have some credibility to them in my view. It will come down to what someone offers. Everyone has a price. If and when it does, Bond will survive. It's an institution.

Here is the last paragraph from the 2012 article from which I got the above quote (linked below):

And besides, as Wilson said, “Bond is never think going to disappear. We might not be making the films. It might go into hiatus for a few years, but eventually it will come back.” And again he said: “It’s part of our culture". Like it or not, he’s probably right.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-10-26/james-bond-producer-barbara-broccoli-we-wanted-daniel-craig-from-the-beginning/
    @bondjames is right. What I'm trying to say is that whoever can produce the best Bond films are the ones who should be doing it - and that might not be EON.
    HASEROT wrote: »

you may want them to sell - but it could end up in the hands of a producer(s) who would turn it into a complete shit show.. EON is doing fine...

Exactly! That is my biggest concern. I truly believe that the chance of a different producer attempting to reinvent Bond by doing their own thing is far more likely than someone continuing Eon's legacy.
    By doing their own thing I'm picturing a generic action picture most likely just called 'James Bond". A film devoid of iconic elements one might deem as irrelevant: :gunbarrel, PTS, titles, theme song, etc.
    Most blockbusters today save all titles to the end, lack in memorable melodic scores, have an extraordinary amount of CGI and cast either current A-listers, or generic actors as their leads....unless it's a flavor of the month who is often miscast. Seth Rogen as The Green Hornet for instance. Ben Affleck as both The Daredevil and Batman is a prime example of an A-lister cast.
    Damn, and to think in 1977 the Salkinds were considering Robert Redford or Clint Eastwood as Superman. Today that type of scenario is a reality.

007 needs to stand out from the rest as he always has. He needs to remain Bond.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i understand all that... but what i am saying - for better or worse, i would prefer EON to continue on making them, even if it comes to eventually passing the baton down to Gregg Wilson (which is i think the more likely scenario at this point than them selling off their half outright)... if they do sell it to a 3rd party, then they sell it - nothing i can do about it except learn to deal lol... but making these films has always been a family business for them - and unless Gregg and/or David aren't keen on keeping it going - then yes, i would prefer them sell to someone who will do their best to keep the ship going without rocking it too much.... i just fear that it will fall into the wrong hands of someone who will ruin it.
    If everything fails... at least we will have had a good run of 25 films.
    You are all insane to even entertain the thought that the money-hungry studios would ever let a property like Bond disappear based on one bad movie, which hasn't happened yet and shows no signs of happening.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 3,279
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    HASEROT wrote: »

Exactly! That is my biggest concern. I truly believe that the chance of a different producer attempting to reinvent Bond by doing their own thing is far more likely than someone continuing Eon's legacy.
    By doing their own thing I'm picturing a generic action picture most likely just called 'James Bond". A film devoid of iconic elements one might deem as irrelevant: :gunbarrel, PTS, titles, theme song, etc.
    Most blockbusters today save all titles to the end, lack in memorable melodic scores, have an extraordinary amount of CGI and cast either current A-listers, or generic actors as their leads....unless it's a flavor of the month who is often miscast. Seth Rogen as The Green Hornet for instance. Ben Affleck as both The Daredevil and Batman is a prime example of an A-lister cast.
    Damn, and to think in 1977 the Salkinds were considering Robert Redford or Clint Eastwood as Superman. Today that type of scenario is a reality.

007 needs to stand out from the rest as he always has. He needs to remain Bond.

If EON did ever sell, I seriously doubt any new films would not include gunbarrel, PTS, theme song, etc.

It's like Disney buying the Star Wars franchise and then not including the John Williams theme, the infamous opening logo and 3D text roll. Some things are part of the legacy of a franchise, and are protected for fear of losing a huge established fan base.
    Removing the gun barrel from CR just about made some kind of warped sense. Leaving it out for two further films was totally idiotic
  • Getafix wrote: »
    Removing the gun barrel from CR just about made some kind of warped sense. Leaving it out for two further films was totally idiotic

I agree. I guess you can kind of justify it with QoS because the Vesper stuff is still going on, his origin story isn't done (it should have been after the way CR ended but that's another problem entirely). But SF? No excuse. Especially since it was the 50th anniversary film.