No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited December 2017 Posts: 12,258
    Prediction: Bond 25 is set a few years after SP; Madeleine is either dead or broken up with Bond. Bond returns to the service for one final mission: find and kill Blofeld, who has some new scheme going on. Will include elements of YOLT.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Prediction: Bond 25 is set a few years after SP; Madeleine is either dead or broken up with Bond. Bond. Bond returns to the service for one final mission: find and kill Blofeld, who has some new scheme going on. Will include elements of YOLT.
    Waltz is reportedly not doing B25. So Blofeld is unlikely if he's being truthful. I don't buy a recast.
    Waltz is being untruthful... again.
    I should also specify that’s how I think P+W’s script is. Could change if they use a Nolan idea instead.
    If they use Nolan's ideas it will be a Nolan film all the way. I'm sure he's protected his intellectual property and EON won't step on his toes by taking ideas and incorporating them without him being able to control and execute his vision. I'm pretty sure it's all or nothing with Nolan.
    That would make sense. I doubt P+W are working on something standalone from the sound of things. I could be wrong, but I bet they are trying to bring Blofeld back. Probably not wise, since Blofeld is almost never incorporated well as the main villain.
    Based on their remarks P&W sent something in a little different this time imo.
    Hmmm. Not the vibe I got. Something fresh is preferable for sure. SP was fine, but too safe.
    Babs & eon will have to decide by Jan/feb at the latest what route their going.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 12,258
    Yeah. I’m eager to see what it will be. Two whole years of minimal news has been awful.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Babs & eon will have to decide by Jan/feb at the latest what route their going.
    Why do you say this? That release date is not fixed in stone. They move all the time. There's actually more chance it moves due to competition than holds.
    No 2020 please. 2019 is a long enough wait.
    They won't move it. They wouldn't make an official announcement of 2019 if they weren't sure. Don't underestimate them, yes sp was a. It lousy but bond is a billion dollar brand, if the film is as good as skyfall with possibly Nolan helming it will crack 900 to a billion. Wonder Woman might have to move.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    They made the announcement of 2019 not only to provide a date but also to let the competition know that they would be in town during that time. Then SW-9 moved (Disney doesn't care because they own all theatres of any interest when that behemoth drops irrespective) which in turn forced WW back. So there is a spillover effect. I wouldn't be surprised if that date moves, and particularly if Nolan is involved.
    Stars wars doesn't kick in until a month & a half later. I really don't see them moving. They've held that spot for 25 years.
    We'll see. The times they are a-changin.
    If it’s anywhere near as good as CR then it’s a success for me.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,756
    Well, I think at this point it's safe to say @QuantumOrganization was full of it.
    What did they say?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    She's not the hero we deserve, or the one we need right now...
    Endure. Take it.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2017 Posts: 4,399
    for anyone curious.. here is the upcoming schedule for Fall/Winter 2019

(as of Dec. 7 2017)

September:

Sept. 6: IT chapter 2
    Sept. 13: (open)
    Sept. 20: Angry Birds Movie 2
    Sept. 27: Everest (animated movie) / Untitled Warner Bros. Event Movie

October:

Oct. 4: Gemini Man (Will Smith)
    Oct. 11: The Goldfinch (Ralph Fiennes)
    Oct. 18: (open)
    Oct. 25: (open)

November:

Nov. 1: Wonder Woman 2
    Nov. 8: BOND 25
    Nov. 15: Margie Claus (Melissa McCarthy)
    Nov. 22: Untitled Fox/Marvel Movie 2
    Nov. 27: Frozen 2

December:

Dec. 4: (open)
    Dec. 11: (open)
    Dec. 18: Masters of the Universe
    Dec. 20: Star Wars Episode IX
    Dec. 25: The Call of the Wild

there isn't too much wiggle from for Bond - unless it wants to maybe move back a couple weeks, and try to take advantage of the end of October..
    For box office purposes, Bond 25 would be helped tremendously by Nolan.
    There are references. There has to be. But, none of Nolan’s works on Batman had direct relations to the comics. Bruce’s back being broken has been redone in the comics several times, it’s kind of become one of the character’s chronological tropes.

Nolan also made a reference to Jason Todd by giving Bane a red helmet in reference to The Red Hood, which had nothing to do with Knightfall or the Red Hood himself. But... one can call it an Easter egg I suppose.

To say Nolan completely discarded the comics and didn't go to them at all, going with a complete different, brand new approach, as implied in your original post, is factually incorrect. All three movies borrow heavily from various references and moments from the comics.

You are speaking to a Batman comic book nerd here, BTW. I have most of the comics, dating right back to 1978.
    No, he didn’t completely discard them. I didn’t say he erased everything and kept only Batman and a few small details. What I meant was that he simply took the grounded and believable characters, and translated them into a more filtered tone of realism. Sometimes he went too far with the template, however. And in favour of believablity, he did change some backgrounds and events to suit his narrative as opposed to taking the whole brick wall from the comics and putting it in the film. The League of Assassins really felt estranged from the source material to me.

Glad to hear you’re a fellow Batman fan. I’ve collected the comics myself (and still do search for some missing issues) up until the New 52 happened which killed my interest in the ongoing timeline (as well as radically changing a couple of characters’ affiliations and backgrounds).

I got into Batman as a kid in the late 70's, hence why Irv Novick is my favourite artist, as he was around during that period, although I really liked the Don Newton/Gene Colan stuff with Doeg Moench in the mid 80's.

I just hope if Nolan does come in, he goes back to the Fleming novels for moments and scenes, like he did with the Batman films.
    Doug Moench’s collaboration with Paul Gulacy in those two issues happens to be one of my favourite arcs from the 80s, as it felt Batman going spy. I’ve always liked Moench, but I choose to ignore his vampire Batman trilogy (nowadays, what’s it called? Elseworlds?) he did in the early 90s. I myself love Grant Morrison’s take on Batman a lot when it comes to the mainstream comics.

I agree on the scenes from the Fleming novels that have to be used. In Cubby’s days, those things were done, but what’s holding the current producers from having a crack at it I’ll never know. When there are plenty to use from Fleming, they instead went for Amis with the recent entry. Go figure.

Those 2 Gulacy comics were great, and he was a superb artist. They were like Bond stories, from what I remember.

Yes, spot on about the current producers. Why turn to Amis when there is still plenty of Fleming left untapped. It makes me wonder when was the last time the producers bothered to read any of the Fleming novels.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    For box office purposes, Bond 25 would be helped tremendously by Nolan.

Of course it would, and its the only way forward for me now. If Nolan/WB buy out Babs and Wilson's rights to do the Bond films I'd be ecstatic, because I think the current team are devoid of ideas on how to take Bond forward properly.

They got it right with CR, and I was very hopeful for the franchise back in 2005, but since then been gradually more disappointed as each new Craig film passed. It's almost a repeat of the Brosnan era, but not as bad.

They need to go back to Cubby's 80's formula of adapting unused Fleming material, but for some reason the current team have not gone down that route, but instead tried to reinvent Fleming themselves, bringing in unnecessary family backstories, and using artistic licence to alter what Fleming wrote.
    GE, CR, and SF are the big modern favorites of mine. The others are in the more average to meh range.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    sorry @jetsetwilly ... no matter what, nothing is worth EON giving up their control of the Bond franchise... through good and bad, Babs and MGW have been good stewards of the franchise.... i don't think they are devoid of what to do - none of us have access behind the scenes to their internal discussions.. just because there isn't any news right now, doesn't mean they haven't been been plugging away behind the scenes..... but IMO, this is the trap you fall into when you've hitched your wagon to a large overarching story continuity... their safest and best bet, once Craig bows out and they cast Bond #7, is to go back to the way they used to do the movies - and thats each one being it's own unique stand alone mission - over arching stories are nice, but they are also overrated... i think they'll be in a less restricted space creatively once they readopt that philosophy.
    Well on the bright side, in less than 2 years we’ll see how Craig’s era ends.
    HASEROT wrote: »
    sorry @jetsetwilly ... no matter what, nothing is worth EON giving up their control of the Bond franchise... through good and bad, Babs and MGW have been good stewards of the franchise.... i don't think they are devoid of what to do - none of us have access behind the scenes to their internal discussions.. just because there isn't any news right now, doesn't mean they haven't been been plugging away behind the scenes..... but IMO, this is the trap you fall into when you've hitched your wagon to a large overarching story continuity... their safest and best bet, once Craig bows out and they cast Bond #7, is to go back to the way they used to do the movies - and thats each one being it's own unique stand alone mission - over arching stories are nice, but they are also overrated... i think they'll be in a less restricted space creatively once they readopt that philosophy.

I don't have any issue with over arching stories. My biggest bugbear has been the exec team ignoring huge amounts of untapped Fleming material, and instead opting for Fleming re-imagined stories - Skyfall, Blofeld being Bond's brother, etc.

Are you telling me the stories they opted for are far better than Shatterhand, amnesia brainwashed Bond trying to kill M, Bond undercover as Mark Hazard to kill a Scaramanga-type villain, Horror and Slugsy at a motel about to rape and kill Viv Michel before Bond steps in to the rescue, Bond getting kicked and beaten by football boots, etc. etc.

It's almost as though the producers are not aware there is still a goldmine of material still untapped. Maybe they have never even bothered to read the novels?
    Nolan’s Batman wasn’t in relation with the comics nor the source material. It was a whole new and different take on the franchise.

Wrong.

http://www.batman-online.com/features/2016/3/6/comic-influences-on-batman-begins-2005/2#sthash.aQmmh1dW.dpbs

The third film relied heavily on the whole story arc of Bane, directly from the Knightfall series.

I we all know how that turned out. Just goes to prove that it doesn't matter wether a director is a fan or not. He just has to make a great film.
    As if Mendes' so claimed fandom did any good for Bond.
    bondjames wrote: »
    If they use Nolan's ideas it will be a Nolan film all the way. I'm sure he's protected his intellectual property and EON won't step on his toes by taking ideas and incorporating them without him being able to control and execute his vision. I'm pretty sure it's all or nothing with Nolan.

Which means Bond wrestling with his conscience because he killed people and in the wake a lover died. All of that dressed in underexposed pictures. Yeah, can't wait for it.