No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I still think, based on his earlier comments, if Nolan directs (as opposed to advises on) B25 Craig won't be involved.

With his expertise and brand power, it's the launch of someone new, either for B25 or B26 (& that's what EON are considering). First time we get someone other than Campbell in almost a generation
    I don't think Craig will drop out of Bond 25. He seemed enthusiastic to return and wants to go out on a high note. They may still go with Demange to direct the next one.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    It would make for another fascinating chapter in the franchise's storied history if Craig suddenly left the role Brosnan style and Nolan came in with a vision to execute. Word has it he has spent years dreaming up what he would do with a Bind film, so presumably he has something up his sleeve.
    If they already have a decent idea for Craig's 5th and final movie, and at the same time Nolan has a great Bond movie idea that he would want to execute with a new actor and a clean slate, then I believe the best-case scenario would be:
    - Bond 25 in 2019 without Nolan, with Craig
    - Nolan getting ready to shoot Bond 26 with a new actor pretty soon after the release of Bond 25, so Bond 26 can be released without a huge gap.
    If they already have a decent idea for Craig's 5th and final movie, and at the same time Nolan has a great Bond movie idea that he would want to execute with a new actor and a clean slate, then I believe the best-case scenario would be:
    - Bond 25 in 2019 without Nolan, with Craig
    - Nolan getting ready to shoot Bond 26 with a new actor pretty soon after the release of Bond 25, so Bond 26 can be released without a huge gap.

Yes, could be.
    That would be best honestly. I'm tired of these ridiculous gaps. Still it would be neat if Nolan could contribute to Bond 25, even if it's just as a writer. The source didn't mention if the script was highly valued from P+W, but it probably is at least decent if they didn't already throw it away. Like I mentioned, I think they might be trying to see if Nolan's ideas could work for Craig's last Bond, but if not then he will return for Bond 26.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I just get the impression Barbara Broccoli treats Bond like a hobby, whereas her father treated it as a job.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I just get the impression Barbara Broccoli treats Bond like a hobby, whereas her father treated it as a job.

I get the impression she views Bond as a sexist, misogynist, dinosaur, whereas her father though of him as a hero.
    He's an anti-hero.
    She's not the hero we deserve, or the one we need right now...
    Honestly demange & especially villeneuve do not excite me in the least bit.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I wonder how people like Baltasar Kormákur, Daniel Espinosa and Jaume Collet-Serra would do with a Bond film.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Much like Dalton's third film, I'd hate to be stuck with a "what could have been" scenario here. I want to see what P&W and Demange/Villeneuve/etc would have for B25, and what Nolan would bring after.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I don't get that impression at all.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 3,279
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I bet P+W's script is very much a direct continuation from SP, and Nolan's idea is not at all connected. Now they're weighing which to choose for Bond 25, to mix some of it, or whatever.

I hope if Nolan is the director for Bond 25, that he has input into the script, and enforces some unused Fleming scenes from the novels. He seems the type that would do that, and I doubt P&W would fight against it, because as far as I'm aware, they've been trying for years to incorporate Fleming scenes, but for whatever reason been overruled by Babs & co.

If that is true, I think its time Babs and co. give up the franchise to someone like Nolan, who would have a better idea on how to take Bond forward. Not relying on Fleming scenes, and discarding them whenever P&W tried to shoehorn them in, is a gross dereliction of duty in my book, and its time they handed the baton over to someone else.

Someone who would have the balls to give us Shatterhand, Bond brainwashed and trying to kill M, Horror and Slugsy in a motel, Bond undercover as Mark Hazard, Bond at a mud baths and seeing a horrific torture take place after a thrilling horse race set-up. etc.

I could go on and on about the unused scenes and storylines from the books. Its my biggest bugbear with the franchise, and I hope if Nolan does come in, he won't ignore them. I've got a strong feeling he won't, because he went back to source material (the comics) for the Batman franchise.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Nolan’s Batman wasn’t in relation with the comics nor the source material. It was a whole new and different take on the franchise.
    Nolan’s Batman wasn’t in relation with the comics nor the source material. It was a whole new and different take on the franchise.

Wrong.

http://www.batman-online.com/features/2016/3/6/comic-influences-on-batman-begins-2005/2#sthash.aQmmh1dW.dpbs

The third film relied heavily on the whole story arc of Bane, directly from the Knightfall series.

Wrong. The third film relied heavily on the whole story arc of Bane, directly from the comics.
    Which incarnation of Bane from the comics are we talking about, again?

Wrong. The third film relied heavily on the whole story arc of Bane, directly from the comics.

Knightfall series.

Knightfall series.
    Ahh yes. Rises was inspired by the Knightfall arc, but wasn’t a direct adaptation. Bane was watered down quite a lot, for starters, and as such had no relation to Talia Al Ghul or Ra’as. Not in the Knightfall story arc, anyway.

Knightfall series.
    Ahh yes. Rises was inspired by the Knightfall arc, but wasn’t a direct adaptation. Bane was watered down quite a lot, for starters, and as such had no relation to Talia Al Ghul or Ra’as. Not in the Knightfall story arc, anyway.

Bruce being weakened, then getting his back broken by Bane is directly from the comic.

http://www.batman-online.com/features/2012/7/29/comic-influences-on-the-dark-knight-rises#sthash.44NOfNnJ.dpbs

Batman Begins has loads of references to the comics - http://www.batman-online.com/features/2016/3/6/comic-influences-on-batman-begins-2005/2#sthash.aQmmh1dW.dpbs

As does The Dark Knight - http://gothamalleys.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/comic-book-references-in-movies-part-vi.html

I could go on and on with this....
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423
    There are references. There has to be. But, none of Nolan’s works on Batman had direct relations to the comics. Bruce’s back being broken has been redone in the comics several times, it’s kind of become one of the character’s chronological tropes.

Nolan also made a reference to Jason Todd by giving Bane a red helmet in reference to The Red Hood, which had nothing to do with Knightfall or the Red Hood himself. But... one can call it an Easter egg I suppose.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 2,115
    Questions (based on the Reddit post)

1) If they go with the Nolan idea, does this push production back? Idea by definition is less developed than a full (if only first-draft) script.

2) Could this tie into the Archivo 007 post about Nolan "working" on the movie now? As in, hypothetically speaking, Nolan is fleshing out the idea (turning it into a treatment or, if more advanced, working on a first draft).
    There are references. There has to be. But, none of Nolan’s works on Batman had direct relations to the comics. Bruce’s back being broken has been redone in the comics several times, it’s kind of become one of the character’s chronological tropes.

Nolan also made a reference to Jason Todd by giving Bane a red helmet in reference to The Red Hood, which had nothing to do with Knightfall or the Red Hood himself. But... one can call it an Easter egg I suppose.

To say Nolan completely discarded the comics and didn't go to them at all, going with a complete different, brand new approach, as implied in your original post, is factually incorrect. All three movies borrow heavily from various references and moments from the comics.

You are speaking to a Batman comic book nerd here, BTW. I have most of the comics, dating right back to 1978.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423

To say Nolan completely discarded the comics and didn't go to them at all, going with a complete different, brand new approach, as implied in your original post, is factually incorrect. All three movies borrow heavily from various references and moments from the comics.

You are speaking to a Batman comic book nerd here, BTW. I have most of the comics, dating right back to 1978.
    No, he didn’t completely discard them. I didn’t say he erased everything and kept only Batman and a few small details. What I meant was that he simply took the grounded and believable characters, and translated them into a more filtered tone of realism. Sometimes he went too far with the template, however. And in favour of believablity, he did change some backgrounds and events to suit his narrative as opposed to taking the whole brick wall from the comics and putting it in the film. The League of Assassins really felt estranged from the source material to me.

Glad to hear you’re a fellow Batman fan. I’ve collected the comics myself (and still do search for some missing issues) up until the New 52 happened which killed my interest in the ongoing timeline (as well as radically changing a couple of characters’ affiliations and backgrounds).

No, he didn’t completely discard them. I didn’t say he erased everything and kept only Batman and a few small details. What I meant was that he simply took the grounded and believable characters, and translated them into a more filtered tone of realism. Sometimes he went too far with the template, however. And in favour of believablity, he did change some backgrounds and events to suit his narrative as opposed to taking the whole brick wall from the comics and putting it in the film. The League of Assassins really felt estranged from the source material to me.

Glad to hear you’re a fellow Batman fan. I’ve collected the comics myself (and still do search for some missing issues) up until the New 52 happened which killed my interest in the ongoing timeline (as well as radically changing a couple of characters’ affiliations and backgrounds).

I got into Batman as a kid in the late 70's, hence why Irv Novick is my favourite artist, as he was around during that period, although I really liked the Don Newton/Gene Colan stuff with Doeg Moench in the mid 80's.

I just hope if Nolan does come in, he goes back to the Fleming novels for moments and scenes, like he did with the Batman films.

I got into Batman as a kid in the late 70's, hence why Irv Novick is my favourite artist, as he was around during that period, although I really liked the Don Newton/Gene Colan stuff with Doeg Moench in the mid 80's.

I just hope if Nolan does come in, he goes back to the Fleming novels for moments and scenes, like he did with the Batman films.
    Doug Moench’s collaboration with Paul Gulacy in those two issues happens to be one of my favourite arcs from the 80s, as it felt Batman going spy. I’ve always liked Moench, but I choose to ignore his vampire Batman trilogy (nowadays, what’s it called? Elseworlds?) he did in the early 90s. I myself love Grant Morrison’s take on Batman a lot when it comes to the mainstream comics.

I agree on the scenes from the Fleming novels that have to be used. In Cubby’s days, those things were done, but what’s holding the current producers from having a crack at it I’ll never know. When there are plenty to use from Fleming, they instead went for Amis with the recent entry. Go figure.

1) If they go with the Nolan idea, does this push production back? Idea by definition is less developed than a full (if only first-draft) script.
    Possibly. Isn't Nolan a Warner director? If so, it makes sense to me that they would push both production and the release date back to avoid WW-2. If Nolan is on the job they can even release it in the first quarter of 2020 and have a smash hit. His name is that big that they don't have to stick to the usual release system.
    2) Could this tie into the Archivo 007 post about Nolan "working" on the movie now? As in, hypothetically speaking, Nolan is fleshing out the idea (turning it into a treatment or, if more advanced, working on a first draft).
    It certainly could. I can see them going back to Nolan (who they perhaps had tapped for B26) and saying come in and do B25, given Villeneuve apparently fell through.

I don't think they want Demange, and understandably so purely from a marketing standpoint. Bond is big business (one of the few sure fire hits globally) and they (distributor as much as producer) need a big name to take it forward after four years of lull.
    bondjames wrote: »

Possibly. Isn't Nolan a Warner director? If so, it makes sense to me that they would push both production and the release date back to avoid WW-2. If Nolan is on the job they can even release it in the first quarter of 2020 and have a smash hit. His name is that big that they don't have to stick to the usual release system.
    It certainly could. I can see them going back to Nolan (who they perhaps had tapped for B26) and saying come in and do B25, given Villeneuve apparently fell through.

I don't think they want Demange, and understandably so purely from a marketing standpoint. Bond is big business (one of the few sure fire hits globally) and they (distributor as much as producer) need a big name to take it forward after four years of lull.

Just for the sake of clarity, are you saying there is a significant chance that Craig doesn't return after all and Nolan takes over instead? And would this involve a sale of the rights? Paramount handled the domestic distribution of Interstellar, so Nolan does technically work with other studios, although obviously he is very comfy at Warner.
    bondjames wrote: »

Just for the sake of clarity, are you saying there is a significant chance that Craig doesn't return after all and Nolan takes over instead? And would this involve a sale of the rights? Paramount handled the domestic distribution of Interstellar, so Nolan does technically work with other studios, although obviously he is very comfy at Warner.
    I don't know what Craig is going to do, but I'm quite certain if Nolan 'directs' B25, Craig won't be Bond. That's just my guess. I don't know what the probabilities are and don't want to hazard a guess. I'd imagine the chances of a Craig return and no Nolan for B25 are quite high though.

There is a theorethical possibility that Nolan could be called into tweak B25 without directing it though, therebye allowing a transition into direction for B26, but I doubt that. Why? Well, Craig is old, and having him back necessarily means a story that completes his particular arc. I can't see how Nolan transitions out of that for B26 without starting completely fresh, which means he's really not needed at all for B25 as it will be part of Craig's self contained reboot story.

I can't see a sale of rights to Warner (assuming EON indeed want to sell) until the AT&T deal is sorted out. I'd imagine they are the front runners for it if it's up for grabs. So I'm reasonably sure that B25 will go ahead without any sale.