James Bond's Gun: Past, Present, and Future

edited November 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 5,745
Now that we're out of the Barretta and Harpoon gun era, and into a more realistic time line, what weapons would you like to see in the hands of our man, 007? And what weapons has he used that you liked, or you thought 'fit him' (or didn't fit)?

I loved Craig with the UMP .45, and I'd like to see it make a return. It fits Craig well, and was the center of the advertising campaign for Quantum it seemed, showing up on the teaser poster and the beginning of the film.
CAUMC.jpg

As for Craig's side arm, I'd love to see the Beretta Px4 Storm, and have Bond return to his pre-ppk days of a Beretta. Its fit for a spy, has a good capacity, light weight, and is easy to conceal and suppress.
Beretta_PX4_Storm.jpg

I'd also like the harpoon gun make a return. (NOT) Though Connery seemed to make it useful.

Also, the MI6 security guards, and the special police units in SKYFALL have been seen with a short barreled version of the G36. Perhaps Bond could raid a villains lair with this excellent rifle, or perhaps the UMP .45 in a future installment.
G36K_handgrip.jpg

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I wouldn't mind seeing Bond use a revolver again, just for one scene like in LALD.
    QBranch wrote:
    I wouldn't mind seeing Bond use a revolver again, just for one scene like in LALD.

That would be interesting. Perhaps the Rex?
    MP-412-REX.jpg
    edited March 2012 Posts: 13,879
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I'm not an expert on guns, so I'll just nod and agree. ;)

I quite like the look of the MP5. Typical Bond henchman gun, though.
    QBranch wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I'm not an expert on guns, so I'll just nod and agree. ;)

I quite like the look of the MP5. Typical Bond henchman gun, though.

And its relatively outdated. Even H&K have unofficially tried to replace it with the MP7:
    hk_mp7.jpg
    How about Metal Storm weaponry, which uses an electrical charge to fire thousands of rounds per second? Picture motion detecting turrets like the drone guns in GoldenEye N64, and Bond must get past them in his vehicle. Ideal for a tech-savvy villain's hideout. The technology has been applied to rifles, too. I was going to use this idea in my original Bond script, but decided to leave it out.

http://www.metalstorm.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,79/
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 63
    A revolver would make a lot of sense when used as a backup in a car. When firing in mid-drive you don't want a lot of sizzling-hot brass casings flying through the cockpit.
    Some awesome guns on display here!
    I checked on 007.com the welcome message http://www.007.com/welcome/ with Michael G. Wilson where it looks like DC using a ump.45 with a silencer. Looks really great.
    Not sure if its got anything to do with SkyFall but certainly hope so.
    WVPoef wrote:
    Some awesome guns on display here!
    I checked on 007.com the welcome message http://www.007.com/welcome/ with Michael G. Wilson where it looks like DC using a ump.45 with a silencer. Looks really great.
    Not sure if its got anything to do with SkyFall but certainly hope so.

Did you read the spoiler? Its a big one, but I'm thinking Bond will HAVE to pick up a heavier weapon than his pistol is SKYFALL.

And
    QBranch wrote:
    How about Metal Storm weaponry, which uses an electrical charge to fire thousands of rounds per second? Picture motion detecting turrets like the drone guns in GoldenEye N64, and Bond must get past them in his vehicle. Ideal for a tech-savvy villain's hideout. The technology has been applied to rifles, too. I was going to use this idea in my original Bond script, but decided to leave it out.

http://www.metalstorm.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,79/

I hadn't thought about applying that to Bond, but how cool would that be? I think it'd be terrifying for Bond, though!
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 5,745
    mysterygun.png
    mysterygun2.png

I'm not sure what gun this is. Based on other evidence, I believe this is Rapace's character. But the gun is interesting.

It has what looks to be a handle on top of it, like you'd find on Light Machine Guns, but the body is too small to be that. The clip is straight, which is a characteristic of the UMP, but if you watch the video, it doesn't match the shape. Its a mystery gun, we'll have to wait and see :)
    There's another photo floating around on the threads showing this guy aiming the rifle out a window. It shows a bit of the right side of the gun. I don't think anyone else identified it, leading some of us to think it may be a) specifically made for the film; or b) a new weapon we haven't seen yet.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I hadn't thought about applying that to Bond, but how cool would that be? I think it'd be terrifying for Bond, though!
    Bond would have to use a vehicle (*cough gadget car cough*) and drive at an insane speed past the turret/s to get to the villain's lair, but he makes it out alive as he's Bond ;) However, by the end of the sequence his car looks like a piece of Swiss cheese if you know what I mean.
    QBranch wrote:
    Bond would have to use a vehicle (*cough gadget car cough*) and drive at an insane speed past the turret/s to get to the villain's lair, but he makes it out alive as he's Bond ;) However, by the end of the sequence his car looks like a piece of Swiss cheese if you know what I mean.

I pictured something very similar in my head! Nice shots of hundreds of bullets flying into the car. Would keep Craig's tradition of trashing everything.
    46f4e7b34f.jpg

rumored elephant/buffalo gun?

English_flintlock_blunderbuss.jpeg

thumb_MDBB_right.JPG

note the stock indention in the photos matches.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I love the UMP45, the Berreta looks cool too. Is it Finneys character who is rumoured to use the elephant gun, or Bardems? I've forgotten.
    01.jpg
    Hjjjnj.jpg&sa=X&ei=VIiVT_OOEo608ASn652LBA&ved=0CAoQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNE-Opxftaru8pZ2_bMwhxIGVC1tGg

Heckler and Koch M416 AR.

59804.jpg

19.gif&sa=X&ei=zIiVT_KLOYWo8QTR05WnBA&ved=0CAoQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFsSS0OYuol4n_Mz0q_sfHvNctBMw
    1287660261.jpg&sa=X&ei=5oiVT7WzJI208ATVoZDrAw&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFIox-VU5ZxJnxCdgVj7334A9NeqA

One in the Glock family. (There's a Glock 17, 19, 22, etc and they all look the same)
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,879
    Fine English Company @FineEnglish
    Anderson Wheeler 500 Nitro Express Double Rifle as seen in James Bond 'Skyfall'

This gun here:
    ga051-anderson-wheeler-rifle-bond-on-set.jpg
    o-SKYFALL-new.jpg&w=600&h=450&zc=1&hash=7f6c9bf1713f1cee2e44014335a7282b
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 5,745
    In Dr. No, Bond is also seen with a FN Browning M1910. The crew couldn't fit a suppressor to the PPK at the time, so they quickly swapped Bond's gun in the famous seen with Dent with the M1910.

350px-FN_Model_1910_1616.jpg

It's notable in Dr. No that many of the weapons swap between the PPK, various revolvers, and other handguns for the Colt 1911 for whatever reasons.

Since I'm updating this thread, what suggestions would we have for Bond's personal arsenal? Feel free to add some of the weapons in Skyfall if you'd like (I haven't seen the effing film yet :( )
  • I do like the look of the storm. The PPK is getting too old and the P99 is too big so that could be the way to go.
    The Storm is almost as big as the P99. How about the PPS?

pps.jpg?w=574&h=354

It's as concealable as the PPK, but carries a bigger round and more of them.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 4,813
    Hmmm maybe it's the funny lighting, but that sucker almost looks like it's made of wood! /:)

I have heard that gun mentioned before though-- it does seem to be the best of both worlds: resembles the P99- yet is the size of the PPK

I'd LOVE to see Bond use the ASP

ASP_05web.jpg
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 5,745
    I, for one, want to see Bond actually use his pistol during an elongated sequence. Something like the opening of Inception, where Cobb is going around taking out guards. I feel like most of the time he's either exploding something or upgrading to a bigger gun.

Plus, the Craig films always have him dropping his gun in exchange for a fist fight. It get's boring.

I'd love a scene where all of a sudden the music builds up, Bond is attacked, it looks to be a good fist fight and he just knocks the guy back and shoots him.

Otherwise, don't bother with the pistol.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I, for one, want to see Bond actually use his pistol during an elongated sequence.

It's not that long, but in SF
    there is a great shootout in a courtroom where pretty much everyone actually fighting, including Bond, uses a pistol.
  • The PPKs is a fine gun, classic well made & solid, I've fired several and always found them to be reliable. However they are not particularly powerful as they're only a 9mm short, so a double tap is a necessity.

The 9mm in any guise short or Parabellum has had it's day, like the .223/5.56mm (armalite) both have a problem with stopping power.

My choice in a modern handgun would always be a good old fashioned .45ACP but in something modern like a Glock 30, Springfield XDM .45 compact or H&K Tactical .45 Compact.

The .45 calibre is without a doubt the king of stopping power, it knocks down the target first time every time!
  • oo7oo7
    QBranch wrote:

This gun here:
    If I am to see shotguns invade multiplayer of bond in future this is the answer
  • QBranch wrote:

This gun here:
    I hope that if we ever see Bond's apartment again,
    we will see that gun on a display plaque in the background, since it's his fathers
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Umm.. stoppage power, magazine subscriptions, and callipers aside, the PPK is the prettiest.
    Hmmm maybe it's the funny lighting, but that sucker almost looks like it's made of wood! /:)

Those are my subpar photography skills at work.
    I have heard that gun mentioned before though-- it does seem to be the best of both worlds: resembles the P99- yet is the size of the PPK

Plus it's dead-accurate. I love mine.
    I'd LOVE to see Bond use the ASP

ASP_05web.jpg

I've owned a couple of those. They're an interesting curio, but not particularly effective guns. The guttersnipe sight isn't very accurate, the finish wears if you look at it funny, and it only carries seven rounds. Plus the balance feels all wonky, since they were cut down from their original length. I think Gardner bought into the manufacturers' advertising pitch, when there were already better, mass-manufactured alternatives out there (namely the P5 Compact and H&K P7). IMHO, of course.
  • I loved seeing Bond use a side by side shotgun in Skyfall, and I love that he's using a .380 Auto PPK/S made by Smith and Wesson.

I want him to continue using the PPK forever. If that doesn't happen, I hope he at least continues to use a Walther.

Many options:
    PPQ
    WAP00Q90.jpg

PPS
    WAP10001.jpg

PK380
    WAP40001_large.jpg

...and if he absolutely has to use something other than a Walther, I say he goes back to a Beretta

85FS Cheetah
    J84F2003.jpg

...or a Smith and Wesson

M&P Compact
    109004_01_lg.jpg
    PPK/S made by Smith and Wesson.
    Their PPK is like $200 cheaper.
    But then my PPK Airsoft was $13.
    *retreats from this thread* :))
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 624
    @chris $200 cheaper in comparison to what?
    edited November 2012 Posts: 17,687
    @chris $200 cheaper in comparison to what?
    The PPK/S
    *not fully retreated apparently*