Die Another Day vs Spectre.

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Very true.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I'd sooner have Hoyte's fine cinematography, piss filter and all, than DAD's hyperactive-toddler-with-a-handful-of-magic-markers colour palette that in some scenes looks like someone has thrown a bag of skittles at the screen.

Except for the color palette used in the DAD PTS. Too bad they went all Batman and Robin for the rest of the film.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I'd sooner have Hoyte's fine cinematography, piss filter and all, than DAD's hyperactive-toddler-with-a-handful-of-magic-markers colour palette that in some scenes looks like someone has thrown a bag of skittles at the screen.

Except for the color palette used in the DAD PTS. Too bad they went all Batman and Robin for the rest of the film.

Fair point.

I'll go out on a limb here and say crane shot of the North Korean flag fluttering and the troops assembling is one of the great shots in Bond.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    It's certainly ominous I'll give you that.

I quite like the desaturated and bleak North Korean scenes which contrasts well with the vibrant, colouful scenes in Cuba.

But once Bond get to Iceland, the colour pallet, along with the rest of the film, went downhill, being too saturated and busy.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 12,837
    I actually quite like DAD visually. The North Korea scenes have that ominous washed out look to them and Cuba feels really colourful and retro and 60s. The characters all have distinctive looks to them too. Iceland looks cheap but I never thought the colour palette was an issue. I like how colourful the film is and I even like some of the sped up camera shots, gives the film a nice energy.

I think after how bland and dreary TND and (as much as I hate to admit it) TWINE looked/felt, it was a big improvement.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I liked the colour palette in DAD too, the contrast of NK to Cuba etc. However, those CGI icebergs were way too blue!
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    DAD has a couple of good shots but that pathetic CGI ruins any visual contest it hopes to have with another film.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I would give that prize to the film with the hazy, smog evoking filters.

That's actually the only thing in SP that really irks me. Well, okay, the 'brotherly' thing bugs me a little. I edit that out in my head.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Roadphill wrote: »
    I truly hate the cinematography of SP. I can't understand why people like it. It looks as though the film was dropped in coffee before it was developed.
    It looks like it was dropped in something that's for sure, but coffee is not what comes to mind.
    How about the finally in the old MI6 building? The photos, the running around aimlessly, etc?

Well old man, I'm all about atmosphere and bravado... I quite like every bit of the end of the movie, even the impossible bullet-in-the-turbine gag.
    Almost as good as the Gustav-in-the-turbine gag in DAD.
    Zao's million-dollar acne is the bit I like least in DAD, btw. ;)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Never had an issue with the colour palette in DAD at all. Nor did I have a problem with the SP PTS sequence.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    How about the finally in the old MI6 building? The photos, the running around aimlessly, etc?

Well old man, I'm all about atmosphere and bravado... I quite like every bit of the end of the movie, even the impossible bullet-in-the-turbine gag.

I love diamond Zao! Great henchman in every way.

But he could have just popped those and become rich... ;)
    edited November 2017 Posts: 15,423

Oh you know the ideologist stereotypes in movies. Always true and loyal to their cause. ;)

Oh you know the ideologist stereotypes in movies. Always true and loyal to their cause. ;)

Was that a 'punch line'? ;)

With a touch of a sparkling personality. ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

With a touch of a sparkling personality. ;)

...I'M MR. KIL.

Ya get it?!!
    Mr Kil, or Mr B. Kiled?
    QBranch wrote: »
    Mr Kil, or Mr B. Kiled?
    That makes it two names to die for. :))
    I've always believed Kil's one sole purpose for being there was to allow Bond to deliver the "name to die for" line. But to try and deter anyone from realizing this, let's have him carry Bond's luggage and give him optical palm print security access to make him seem important.
    You chaps may find it funny, but about ten years ago, I had bit of a searching online for a bootleg version of Die Another Day to see how it would seem like. The subtitles were all wrong, Good God! I couldn't stand it! :))

The "I'm Mr. Kil" line was translated to "Hi, Mr. Cute!". =))
    Jesus, as if it couldn't get any worse.
    Austin Powers eat your heart out! :))
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    At least the bleak picture tone in DAD PTS was removed once the film started,and was applicable for that scene,in SP that ochre colour lasts the whole way through,even in London !!

And I agree with @TheWizardOfIce that I love the North Korean flag waving as the camera zooms in,a great piece of film,with the oriental musical notes.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Don't like either but I wont fall asleep watching DAD
    w2bond wrote: »

I do!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

I do!

Isn t it more like fainting, as the cringe drains all blood from your brain?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I won't be falling asleep during DAD, but probably because I try to avoid that movie in the first place. SP hasn't reached that status yet, although I've only seen it twice so far, which is a bad sign in itself.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 12,243
    SP may be a weaker Bond film, but DAD is still much worse to me. DAD is just so... ugh. It’s the film that caused a reboot - like Batman & Robin did for Batman. Of course, reboots for long-running series are inevitable either way, but these films probably made the reboots happen faster than expected.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    SP may be a weaker Bond film, but DAD is still much worse to me. DAD is just so... ugh. It’s the film that caused a reboot - like Batman & Robin did for Batman.

Or World War 2 for Europe.
    Mathis1 wrote: »

I do!

Isn t it more like fainting, as the cringe drains all blood from your brain?

No that happened to me when I heard Brossa was taking over the role !