Henry Cavill still eyes James Bond role after Craig bows out

JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
edited April 2011 in News Posts: 1,380
In a press junket to hype his announcement in the lead role of Zack Snyder's upcoming "Superman: The Man of Steel", British actor Henry Cavill was asked about his past brush with 007. Cavill was one of the final three contenders to take over the tuxedo from Pierce Brosnan, and <a href="http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=9274">even passed up the lead</a> in '300' to have a shot - but Daniel Craig won the day. Just 22 years-old at the time of the screentest, Cavill was ultimately considered too young at the time.

Asked whether he would still be interested in the role of 007 when Daniel Craig bows out in a few years' time, Cavill said "Of course! James Bond? Yes! That's the other one to get - you get Superman and you get James Bond!"

Former James Bond actors Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton and Pierce Brosnan were all seriously considered for the 007 role years ahead of them ultimately landing a licence to thrill. So in a few years time, when Daniel Craig decides to holster the PPK, do not be surprised if Henry Cavill is back in the frame.

"Superman: The Man of Steel" is expected to be released in late 2012, and could prove to be box-office competition for the 23rd James Bond film (scheduled for November 9th, 2012).

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Quoting JamesPage: you get Superman and you get James Bond!"
    You don't get James Bond if you're already playing the lead role in another major film franchise.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Who knows what will happen with this Superman film though, it could just be like the last one. Afterall, it's going up against The Hobbit...
    Oh, I don't know... I suspect Cavill will just play Superman once, only because in 2013 the complete rights for Superman get returned to the Shuster's and then who know what will become of Superman. I feel like the film makers know this too- I mean they cast a 36 year old to play Lois. Not a whole lot of room for a ton of sequels.

They're right about the funny history about the casting- nearly all the actors have been approached years before actually getting the part- seems to be a tradition! I'd like to see a late 30's - early 40's Cavill take over the role one day. Right now he's a bit too babyfaced.... and especially back in 2006. Get some years on the dude first- he may not even necessarily come right after Craig!

However, if I'm wrong about Superman, and Cavill goes on to play him many times, then yeah, I'd agree with you, he can't be Bond too...

That's the funny thing about Henry Cavill... it was looking like he was the unluckiest actor on the planet- he tried out for Bond and Batman and this and that- I'm glad things are looking up for him!
    Is it certain that the rights go back in 2013? I was under the impression that would only be if a film was not released by the end of 2012 - which this one will be, but only just!
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 4,813
    Hmm you could be right about that- these legal issues are funny business....

I'd probably be cool with it though- as long as he waited a few years in between characters. Bond and Superman are vastly different characters
    To expand of that, the film had to be in production this year for release next year, otherwise WB would've lost the right to make Superman films.

Of course if Warner Bros. could go for Summer 2013 release they would, as it stands December 2012 is all they have left, which as said is not a good date. This film won't get a look in against what could be called LOTR 4.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    No thanks! Maybe in 20 more years when you look like an adult mate, but it's still way too early for him. After Craig I'd like an experienced actor to take over Bond, rather than a rookie. We don't want a reboot every time a new actor takes over.
    Quoting JamesPage: Former James Bond actors Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton and Pierce Brosnan were all seriously considered for the 007 role years ahead of them ultimately landing a licence to thrill.
    Roger Moore being considered for Dr. No is an old wives tale spun by the PR machine for LALD. Roger Moore has confirmed that he was never approached previously and that he had never even heard of James Bond until Dr. No was released in theaters. He confirmed this in his autobiography.
    Quoting Luds: No thanks! Maybe in 20 more years when you look like an adult mate, but it's still way too early for him. After Craig I'd like an experienced actor to take over Bond, rather than a rookie. We don't want a reboot every time a new actor takes over.
    I agree with Luds. I would have strongly supported Cavill in 2006 because it was the beginning of the reboot and a younger actor would have been fine in my view. But now that Craig is carrying us through the reboot and he's already in his 40s, it wouldn't make sense to replace him with a guy in his early 30s to continue.

Maybe if Craig does another film in 2014 and Cavill looks old enough in 2016.
    Yeah- if he does it at all, let's wait till he's 40. He'll look pretty different by then- maybe even look BETTER.
    Quoting jaguar007: Roger Moore being considered for Dr. No is an old wives tale spun by the PR
    machine for LALD. Roger Moore has confirmed that he was never approached
    previously and that he had never even heard of James Bond until Dr. No was
    released in theaters. He confirmed this in his autobiography.
    I thought it was refering to On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Also, I'd say we get a 'reboot' every time a new actor is cast.
    Quoting Samuel001: I thought it was refering to On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
    I had never heard Moore was ever considered for OHMSS!. He was still doing The Saint (final season) when they filmed OHMSS. At that time, EON was looking for an unknown to be Bond, LIFE did a story on all the finalists for OHMSS
    http://www.life.com/gallery/37692/image/ugc1022692#index/0
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 4,813
    Quoting jaguar007: the finalists for OHMSS

http://www.life.com/gallery/37692/image/ugc1022692#index/0

Isn't that Roger Moore in the top right? lol j/k
    ;-)

*Edit--Actually- this biz of the Bond casting from 1968- I think is interesting enough to warrant it's own thread! I'd love to hear more about it! Just think- the first Bond movie to not have Connery?? There must have been insane pressure!
    Quoting jaguar007: I had never heard Moore was ever considered for OHMSS!.
    In some Live And Let Die interviews both Cubby and Harry mention they wanted him then but he was unavailable doing, as you said, The Saint.
    Quoting Samuel001: In some Live And Let Die interviews both Cubby and Harry mention they wanted him then but he was unavailable doing, as you said, The Saint.
    There were also interviews from (I believe Harry) stating he was wanted for Dr. No, which of course was just a PR spin to tell the public "we really wanted Roger all along" to help the box office success of LALD.
    He may have been a good Bond, but it'll never happen now that he's signed on for Superman.
    Quoting jaguar007: There were also interviews from (I believe Harry) stating he was wanted for Dr.
    No, which of course was just a PR spin to tell the public "we really wanted
    Roger all along" to help the box office success of LALD.
    I doubt they would've lied though for a film made only four years before Moore's first film.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Quoting jaguar007: Roger Moore being considered for Dr. No is an old wives tale spun by the PR machine for LALD. Roger Moore has confirmed that he was never approached previously and that he had never even heard of James Bond until Dr. No was released in theaters. He confirmed this in his autobiography.
    This doesn't mean he wasn't considered though, only that he wasn't approached.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    Quoting jaguar007: Roger Moore being considered for Dr. No is an old wives tale spun by the PR machine for LALD. Roger Moore has confirmed that he was never approached previously and that he had never even heard of James Bond until Dr. No was released in theaters. He confirmed this in his autobiography.
    It's referring to this (one press report of many citing OHMSS as the first time they knocked on his door):

They previously wanted him for "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" but he was unavailable then because of television commitments. Moore has since given up TV work to concentrate on films
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/history_press_tabloids_live_and_let_die.php3
  • Superman will bomb - not because it will be a bad movie - but I think this year and the next we will be in Super hero/comic book made into film hell. Fatigue will set in before HC jumps over any skyscrapers.

Let's see - Capin America.

Thor - looks really bad.

Green Lantern and his impressive ring lol.

Spiderman again.

The Avengers.

Iron bloke 3

The League of super things.

X-Men XS

Batman reboot again?

Cowboys and Harrison Ford

Wolverine 2

Deadpool

Ghost Rider 2

Ant Man - you must be joking

Where are the original screenplays, new ideas aaaaaaaaaaaah.

If HC does have a bad one - he'll go back to high-end TV and wait for Bond - I for one would gladly welcome him to the role.

• St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Quoting 008: He may have been a good Bond, but it'll never happen now that he's signed on for Superman.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that - the casting of the 'unlikely' Daniel Craig as Bond (blond, 'too short' etc) may well have moved the goalposts when it comes to casting the next 007...
    Quoting forgotmyusername: Superman will bomb - not because it will be a bad movie
    Well, it's directed by Zack Snyder, and if 300, Watchmen, and Sucker Punch are anything to go by, yeah, it will be a bad movie.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I agree with SG, I think anything is possible now, and the days of typecasting are well and truly over.
    Having said that Moore got the role despite years of playing The Saint!
    Even before Cavill was cast as Superman, I had a feeling he would not be revisited. As St George mentioned, the goalpost for Bond has been moved and I think EON will continue to look for "serious actors" and not just people who look the part.

Mainly however is that is has been said that Cavill was Campbell's choice for Bond while Craig was Broccoli's choice. Unless Campbell is hired to direct the next debut Bond film (doubtful as he will probably be too old) I don't see Cavill being a top choice.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Quoting jaguar007: Mainly however is that is has been said that Cavill was Campbell's choice for Bond while Craig was Broccoli's choice. Unless Campbell is hired to direct the next debut Bond film (doubtful as he will probably be too old) I don't see Cavill being a top choice.
    Hmmm, I wouldn't be so sure about that, you know. Unless Cavill becomes the next Christopher Reeve (meaning he, like, plays Superman for the next decade), then I suspect Eon would probably consider him again moderately or very seriously. I mean, James Purefoy was seriously considered twice - when Brosnan finally won the role in '94 and again when Craig got the gig in '05...
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I have to say that initially I wasn't keen on Cavill playing Bond. Around the time of CR he was far too young. Though in hindsight had they gone down the rookie Bond route as originally intended he may not have been the worse choice.
    However I think he has a certain Bondian look, and has aged enough at least to play the role. Having come close to landing the role in '06 it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't high on EON's let's look at him again list in the future. Moore, Dalton, Brosnan...
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Quoting jaguar007: Unless Campbell is hired to direct the next debut Bond film (doubtful as he will probably be too old)
    If Craig does 2 more films, Campbell will be 76 for Bond #7's debut.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 23
    It used to be that M could never be played by a woman, every film had to feature MONEYPENNY and Q and had to start with a gunbarrel.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 23
    edited
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @ZorinIndustries Please use the edit button if you want to add to your post. Double posting is something we intend to avoid at all costs. Thank you. :)