Diving with the Great White Shark

talos7talos7 New Orleans
edited August 2016 in General Discussion Posts: 7,888
Next September(2017) I'm going to fulfill something that for a long time has been on my bucket list; I'm going to do a dive with the Great White Shark, in a cage of course. Has anyone here ever done this. The most common reaction I get is, 'you're crazy' Lol. I've always been fascinated by these magnificent fish and can't wait to see one up close.

[img][/img]Great_White_Shark_cage_diving_Mexico_zpsvbwttcfm.jpg

Comments

• ChriscoopChriscoop North Yorkshire
    What a fantastic thing to do, I've never done it and I'd love to see a great white shark, Ive come pretty close to a mako shark while diving near Malta, they look similar but no where near the size of a great white. Spectacular and misunderstood creatures.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Such a majestic creature. Good for you that you're doing this. It really will be such an amazing experience.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Something I've always wanted to do. Good on you. Getting close or even seeing these incredible creatures in the wild must be awe inspiring!

South Africa?
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Good for you. Fantastic experience. I love Scuba diving and snorkeling. But no chance I'd do this......swimming with dolphins = harmless. Swimming with sharks = Armless.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I'd be too afraid on a number of levels to do anything like that, but good on you @talos7 for being brave enough to give it a go. Good luck!
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Good for you. Fantastic experience. I love Scuba diving and snorkeling. But no chance I'd do this......swimming with dolphins = harmless. Swimming with sharks = Armless.

You gave me a real laughter.

That said I would not mind doing that dive with a great white, good luck I am somewhat envious.

I admire you for doing this, I'd be too much of a wuss myself. But yes, magnificent creatures.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    SaintMark wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »

You gave me a real laughter.

That said I would not mind doing that dive with a great white, good luck I am somewhat envious.

Thanks @SaintMark. I wish the line was mine, but it's from Karl Pilkington (from his comedy travel programme 'An Idiot Abroad'). Really funny and recommended. Produced by Ricky Gervais (another legend).
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Some may think doing something like this is about seeking the thrill. While it will no doubt be thrilling it's more about seeing a magnificent animal like this, alive, in person and in it's natural environment. The fact is no Great White Shark has ever been successfully kept alive in captivity.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop North Yorkshire
    Fantastic level headedness by that guy, a lot of people would panic and swim like hell to the shore, two broken toes is a minor injury to take from that experience! My first reaction on seeing the shark was to try stand up!! Quite impossible in the middle of 20 meters of water. I'd only want to see another shark in the wild from inside a cage!!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I first read the thread title as Dying with the great white shark.
    I first read the thread title as Dying with the great white shark.

Always optional I believe.

• I thought it was just an invitation for some of our more opinionated posters: Dying with the Great White Snark.
    Yikes!!!

Happens all the time.
    If you are diving and you see one of these beasts, then don't panic (easier said than done) and just calmly give it a wide berth. Keep your distance and stay calm. The sudden noise, splashing to get away, (and shitting your suit) will attract the creature.

Crocodiles are more dangerous and you stand a better chance of survival when swimming with a shark than one of these predators.
    I am diving with the great white crocodile as we speak.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Yikes!!!

Well that certainly helps my phobia of swimming! X_X
    edited November 2017 Posts: 7,888
    While I was taking a break from the internet. Yes I took these. ;)

yACQ5KU.jpg?1
    FIFOaIK.jpg
    Here you go
    yACQ5KU.jpg?1
    PewvF5Y.jpg
    Isn t that @Shark_0f_Largo ?
    Indeed!
    Bloody insane..no thanks...
    My nightmare right there!!!
    Wow, what a beautiful creature, that one looks really rugged like an old pirate!
    I´m not sure if I really envy you, @talos7, but that must have been quite a buzz!
    It was an incredible experience. In total it was a five day trip to Guadalupe Island, one day out from Mexico, one day back with three days on site.
    These are truly majestic creatures. Unlike in the movies they were not mindlessly aggressive; if anything there was a dynamic lethargy, a calmness to them as they came and went paying little if any attention to the potentially tasty morsels in the cages.
    They are solitary with the smallest being approximately 8 feet long and the largest, this beauty, being a 16 foot female.