The biggest missed opportunities in the Bond franchise

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The Saint Marks Square, Venice sequence is simply embarrassing for anyone out of diapers

Que ? The Venice portion of MR is an iconic Bond moment, a true gem, one of the best moments in the entire Bond franchise.
    The Saint Marks Square, Venice sequence is simply embarrassing for anyone out of diapers

You must mean the one in CR. That one´s ok but the MR bit is great.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

You must mean the one in CR. That one´s ok but the MR bit is great.

Yep. The Venice portion of MR is cult classic.

Well of course you'd say that, Moore is your favorite Bond star, if we can ignore the ambiguous username

Common sense dictates however, and maybe for the last time, that it is merely a sequence of silly, adolescent nonsense. Moore or not

It may well be 'gems or best franchise moments' if one likes their 007 movies of clown proportions with a red nose on top, but for those of us who like our Bond adventures serious and straight faced, it can only be met with some degree of umbrage
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Well of course you'd say that, Moore is your favorite Bond star, if we can ignore the ambiguous username

Common sense dictates however, and maybe for the last time, that it is merely a sequence of silly, adolescent nonsense. Moore or not

It may well be 'gems or best franchise moments' if one likes their 007 movies of clown proportions with a red nose on top, but for those of us who like our Bond adventures serious and straight faced, it can only be met with some degree of umbrage

Exactly how I feel @Baltimore_007, and I agree on your statement previously.
    OP vs. QoS??

QoS should prepare for a beating!!
    edited March 2012 Posts: 15,686

And why should EON only listen the ones who want Bond more serious ? Why should the ones who love YOLT, MR, DAF, DAD, OP never be satisfied or cared about ? Sooner or later the franchise will be sillier and more campy again, and you can constantly whine and moan about it just like some of us have been doing since Bond has been too serious.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote:
    OP vs. QoS??

QoS should prepare for a beating!!

It'll get no punching from me that's for sure.
    I'm being harsh on Quantum but OP is just the more entertaining film to me.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 1,856

@Baltimore_007, @DaltonCraig007 is allowed his opinions.
    (No matter how odd they are ....)
    I'm running out of time today but still would like to know why DaltonCraig has such a name if he can't stand Craig, fails to recognize Dalton and has Moore as a favorite. I don't mean to push but it does arouse some curiosity sometimes, probably been mentioned before, but I can't recall

Yes I want Bond serious, that's me, I understand there are thousands of Bond fans out there who are all different, some want action, some want clown moments, some want serious, some want ass clowning around etc etc, there are a diversity of opinions. That's all very well, it's just that we take issue with them sometimes

I did write much more than this, screen went static, lost all my goddamn work and can't get it back so I'll leave it at that, in a rush also

Also Octopussy wins over QOS by some distance

And Yes Dalton Craig is allowed his say, we all are, we're all here to agree and disagree, that's what makes a forum work. I thought the Venice pigeons, Bondola, whole sequence was horrendous, someone thought otherwise - That is all very well, no harm done

Keep this going and all

The Biggest missed opportunity in the Bond Franchise was...

Not fleshing QOS's script and story before filming.....
    Virage wrote:

I'm sure EON didn't predict the Writer's Strike. They just went about their process the way they always have but got screwed when the strike came.
    Sir Roger retiring gracefully after For Your Eyes Only
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited March 2012 Posts: 5,921
    Virage wrote:

This is a great one. The reboot was so successful, critically and financially--Bond was suddenly very culturally relevant again, beyond the hardcore fans.

I think Eon made two crucial miscalculations with QoS:

1. Rushing out Craig's second Bond film, writers' strike or no (which they could have seen coming). Craig's performance was widely praised by critics and the public; that goodwill wouldn't have gone away even if his second film took awhile.

2. Jettisoning Fleming, right after embracing him! Returning to the CR novel was so smart. Why they wouldn't mine what remaining Fleming they could in QoS (a la FYEO, OP, and TLD) defies comprehension.
    Using David Hedison more as Felix during the Roger Moore era. Hedison and Rog were long-time friends and still are very close. In fact, David introduced Roger during Rog's Hollywood Star ceremony a few years ago. They had superb chemistry together. What a missed opportunity by Cubby and company.
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    - Not using Elvis during the 60's. Listen to "Edge of Reality" while looking at the OHMSS pre-titles.
    - Not using the BMW 850. They could have given him that in Goldeneye instead of that Z3 with the hairdressers 1.6 litre engine.
  • QoS was fine, I can live without an early 90's film and Roger in AVTAK is all good.

I think the biggest missed opportunity was DAF. They could have done an amazing follow up to OHMSS with Lazenby and Savalas. It would have been great to see an early Bond film based on revenge with Bond going all out to bring Blofeld to justice and have a proper final confrontation. Instead we have Blofeld hanging in a mini sub and then being dropped in a chimney, neither great ends to the best villain in bonds history.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    1. no proper follow up to ending of OHMSS... i guess the writers felt that Connery smugly dispatching of Blofeld in the PTS to DAF with no sort of revenge line of dialog was sufficient..

2. TMWTGG pulling a bugs bunny and taking that wrong turn at Albuquerque.. the film could've been slightly darker, and more of the thriller variety, especially with a talent the likes of Christopher Lee as the villain - and it seemed to want to start down that path, but once Bond goes to Karate school, the film sputters and crawls to a less than merciful end. - also.. the Solex was a completely useless McGuffin, and did not need to be included in the plot..

3. Dalton should've been Bond in AVTAK instead of Grandpa Moore..

4. Dalton should've waited just a little bit longer before walking out, so he could've returned in GE..

5. DAD... all 2+ hours of it..

6. QOS rushing through pre-production to get the script done (which they didn't)... they should've waited, and pushed back the release to 2009 to properly get a story and everything in order..
    edited March 2012 Posts: 5,921
    Amy Winehouse not getting to do a Bond song.
  • echo wrote:
    Absolutely agree! Such a sad reality that she will never get the chance to do a Bond theme.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited March 2012 Posts: 13,879
    The biggest missed opportunity in the Bond franchise:

In GoldenEye, we never got to see Jack Wade bomb around in the Z3.

"What does this button do, Jimbo?"

KABOOM!!!
  • Speaking of Jack Wade, I think more could have been done with Brad Whitaker. He was an interesting charecter.
    Yeah, Whitaker should have threatened the world with a laser or another huge weapon.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    echo wrote:

Normally I'd go with the opposite, I'm very much thankful that crackwhore didn't get to sing a Bond theme, but an even lesser talented and washed up crackwhore did sing DAD, and well we all know how bad the song was in QOS so she likely could have done better in both cases. Still no missed opportunity imo, but could have been an improvement.

edited March 2012 Posts: 15,686
    Luds wrote:
    but an even lesser talented and washed up crackwhore did sing DAD

<url>

IMO her new song is very good.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    No thanks. Won't listen to it. I had enough bad memories from childhood with my sister listening to her all the time, post New Kids on the Block that is, and well her song and "acting" in DAD still gives me nightmares.
    My mum (the same age as Madonna) saw that video the other day and thought it was an embarrassement.
    No Lazenby at all, even in OHMSS (I'd perefer Connery).
    Dalton acting from 1983 til 1995.
    Bond17 film with Dalton in 1991.
    Brosnan's fourth film in 2004.
    No reboot DAD/CR, so we could see Craig with Moneypenny.
    In 1991 Bond17, the Singing Revolution theme could be used (I live in Lithuania, so it would be great to see 007 in this Europe place during indefinate situation when Soviets shoots people saving the TV Tower and Parliament.
    CR without Vesper's death and no sequel in QoS.
    Use of 007 theme since Moonraker.
    DAD without Jinx and without so much of CGI. Invisible car isn't as so as sin for me.
    Aston Martin in Moore's and Brosnan's eras.
    W_PPK wrote:
    CR without Vesper's death

Her death, and specifically its effect on Bond, is the point of the story!