PETITION: Give the fans a more influential say in the (uncertain) future of the James Bond franchise

For me, as a devoted fan of the James Bond franchise, the best way of explaining the problem that I would like to solve, is by writing a letter. Initially, I had the idea of sending this letter directly to EON Productions Ltd in London, The United Kingdom. But despite all my best intentions, I am aware that the film industry sadly isn't that "inclusive" when it comes to new ideas. On the contrary, it is mostly a "closed shop", even for Bond fans.

My worries about the future, about the longevity of the James Bond franchise, as a trendsetting phenomenon, are profound and heartfelt. This has especially been the case in the past couple of years when (confirmed) news articles and interviews were published that in essence could possibly have a negative effect on that future. Therefore, please read the below open letter to EON Productions carefully, and decide for yourself if Bond fans like you and me should have a more influential say over the production of Bond film:
https://www.change.org/p/eon-productions-give-the-fans-a-more-influential-say-in-the-uncertain-future-of-the-james-bond-franchise
Dear Mrs Broccoli and Mr Wilson,

James Bond Will Return….and so will his fans. For three decades now I have been a devoted and passionate Bond-fan. Just like all those other thousands of Bond aficionados. Being a fan has not only facilitated my knowledge about the Bond universe since my early childhood. It has also been stimulating my love for cinema in general. It gave me a fresh, new perspective on the world we live in. Just like all those other famed authors who made us think about our geopolitical environment.

Having said that, I am not just thrilled by organizing another James Bond marathon. I am equally thrilled by the fact that I can witness the premiere of the first non-Bond project from EON Productions since “Call Me Bwana”. Actress Annette Bening, whose impressive resume includes my personal favorites “American Beauty”, “20th Century Women” and “The Kids Are All Right”, can now be seen in an EON Productions film. I most definitely look forward to it.

However, I always reminded myself that this boundless passion for cinema is most of the time overlooked by my even bigger passion for Ian Fleming’s titular character. So it is this fandom that most of the time keeps me focused on James Bond and his world. Re-watching a Bond film is therefore probably more fun for me than re-watching any other non-Bond film. And here is where certain worries about the upcoming 25th James Bond film are coming to the surface. Worries that are rooted in recent news articles and publications. Because, if true, they could have a profound effect on the long-term future of the James Bond franchise.

First, there is the direct news about the upcoming 25th James Bond film. Back in March our highly respected screenwriters Neal Purvis & Robert Wade admitted in an interview that there is “a creative void” in telling a Bond story. According to them so many evil plots and evil people have actually become reality in today’s geopolitical world, that there is some logic in that notion. But we do not understand that void or disadvantage of such a fact. It should be the perfect starting point for any new Bond story. Such events were pivotal inspirational forces for the late Ian Fleming. The foundations of a story in which all events are tightly knitted together in a logical, chronological and believable manner should not be an issue. Focus and fun are equally important. Bond is foremost an entertainment icon, and every bit of work leading towards a new Bond film, no matter how tiny that is, should ignite the zest for fun and enthusiasm.

Recent news about uncertainties regarding the distribution of Bond #25, and all other future films from the franchise, has also left many Bond fans worried. Again, this should not hinder one’s creativity during a complex screenwriting process. But it does raise a lot of questions about the future of Bond. Without a distributor, it will be difficult to produce a Bond film. Let alone meeting a predetermined premiere date. So understandably, Bond fans are worried. Will you continue producing the Bond films (we sincerely hope so)? Will you remain full owner of the franchise (we really think your tremendous knowledge is of uttermost importance)? Can we look forward to any confirmed news about a new film distributor before the end of 2017 (I think then Bond fans can really start enjoying the pre-production period of yet another Bond film)?

As you can see, some Bond fans –me included–, are worried about the uncertainties and creative challenges surrounding the Bond films. We do not own the Bond franchise, but Her Majesty’s Secret Agent is a culturally shared phenomenon. As such, it is pivotal to note that worries can lead to something positive. Perhaps they can even lead to realistic ideas and workable solutions. Not just for the sake of ‘having’ a Bond film in the cinemas every two years, but especially for the long-term endurance of our beloved franchise. For instance, one could think of training programmes or ‘fan panels’. Colleagues within the industry –Mrs. Kathleen Kennedy for example– are already proactively involving outsiders, and even fans, into the production of films. Then there are screenplay panels, in which fans brainstorm together with movie professionals about new ideas (think about the SXSW Film Conference).

By looking into such ideas, one could prevent the James Bond franchise –and the film industry on the whole– from becoming too much of a “closed shop”. At this moment privilege and close friendships seem to be more dominant than a more out-of-the-box-mentality and an inclusive style of thinking with regard to talent and diversity. I am aware that within the film industry such new initiatives are surfacing. But the recent report from The British Film Institute, of which the data research was executed by the Work Foundation think-tank, confirms some of my worries and those of Bond fans. Since you, Mrs Broccoli, were part of this research as well, we entirely entrust your vision on this and hope you tackle our worries.

Lastly, we all admire the work you put into the film industry, but again I am merely a Bond fan with clearly defined worries that I would like to see addressed. And I am not solely speaking for myself. There are thousands of Bond fans that already have to wait longer for new Bond films than some 15 years ago. We all want quality above quantity, and that paid off tremendously with the current reigning James Bond, played by Daniel Craig. But we do hope EON Productions can finish the work on other film projects swiftly, because Her Majesty’s Secret Agent is not only worthy of your attention but of all those other Bond fans with sincere worries.

We would welcome to share our thoughts with you about the future of James Bond, based on some of the arguments and worries summed up in this letter. I kindly await any kind of reply to the above arguments, no matter how small or insignificant they are. 'Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool', is the title of the upcoming new production from EON. I would like to add that film stars never die, no matter where they live. On the contrary, every lover of cinema, every Bond fan, should be seen as one of many thousands of film stars; film stars with worthy and practical ideas and solutions. Thank you in advance for reading this letter.

Warmest regards,
Gert Waterink
a devoted Dutch Bond fan

Your signature would be greatly appreciated. Most likely this petition won't move mountains, but why not try? In a later stage we can see if we can write the above letter to EON Productions, accompanied by some 100 signatures or so. Down below you find the link to sign the petition.

https://www.change.org/p/eon-productions-give-the-fans-a-more-influential-say-in-the-uncertain-future-of-the-james-bond-franchise
ZGbk0Sx.jpg

Comments

• I don't know. I've read some great ideas from fans but I've also read some terrible ones. I'd like it if they could go after proven/professional talent who are also big Bond fans (I know there are people on this board who work in film/TV), but I'm not so keen on the idea of the majority of us lot having a big say in the future of the franchise. I wouldn't even trust myself personally.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I don't know. I've read some great ideas from fans but I've also read some terrible ones. I'd like it if they could go after proven/professional talent who are also big Bond fans (I know there are people on this board who work in film/TV), but I'm not so keen on the idea of the majority of us lot having a big say in the future of the franchise. I wouldn't even trust myself personally.

I agree completely. We all have our own ideas on how we want James Bond to be. What's right for some is not right for others. We may have wants and desires but that doesn't mean us fans should decide who dictates what when it comes to Bond. Like you said, I've seen good and bad ideas. I wouldn't trust that everything I want in a Bond film would be good either.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I think they should shake it up from time to time. Since we have 50+ years of fans here with different views and expectations how does one satisfy everyone? With difficulty I'm sure. Some fans prefer films like TSWLM and some fans prefer more grounded entries like CR (thankfully I like both). I believe they are aware of this pressure. Mendes and Craig have commented in the past that some fans have come up to them and asked 'why so serious' so to speak.

Mendes has said "it's not a democracy" at least when it comes to picking the Bond actor, so I can imagine it's the same way with us providing input into the films. They'll do what they want to do, with studio input.

All I'd like is for them to get some new writers, a new composer, shake up the tone from time to time (make sure they hire a versatile enough actor to pull that off) and get the films released more often. I'm not at all concerned about the corporate situation. That's mainly an MGM problem.
  • Murdock wrote: »
    I don't know. I've read some great ideas from fans but I've also read some terrible ones. I'd like it if they could go after proven/professional talent who are also big Bond fans (I know there are people on this board who work in film/TV), but I'm not so keen on the idea of the majority of us lot having a big say in the future of the franchise. I wouldn't even trust myself personally.

I agree completely. We all have our own ideas on how we want James Bond to be. What's right for some is not right for others. We may have wants and desires but that doesn't mean us fans should decide who dictates what when it comes to Bond. Like you said, I've seen good and bad ideas. I wouldn't trust that everything I want in a Bond film would be good either.

Yeah that's another good point. The thing about Bond is you get all sorts of fans of completely different sorts of films. You're never going to make everyone happy and I can't imagine how some fan committee (how would it even be selected?) working with EON would work. You'd have some pushing for a gritty film, some for a Moore era throwback, etc. Can't imagine it being very productive.
  • I created the petition in part because so many forum members in here, especially in the Bond 25 Production Diary, mostly sound negative or keep ranting about the same thing on and on. I didn't want to stand by the sideline and do nothing. I wanted a more positive approach from the fans, one that can all bring us together. Try not to look too much into the "More say for Bond fans"-topic of the petition (I hear a lot of remarks like"Aaaah the Bond producers will never listen to us anyway.". Well, I am sorry, but we live in a democracy, so a petition is even better no?). I think we all agree that we have some profound worries about the direction of the Bond franchise as of late. Please read the letter I wrote. It took me a lot of my precious time, and perhaps you can then understand that creating such a petition. I would love all of you to sign. Let's make it a success. It's not just about us fans. It's about the future of the James Bond franchise.
  • I'm not worried about the future of the franchise really. It's lasted 50 years, it'll last 50 more. I know some people weren't keen on the direction they took with SP but a change will be along eventually. Maybe not with Bond 25 now that Craig's back but we'll get a shakeup eventually. All is good. Just wish they'd get the films out a bit quicker.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    My concerns will most likely be addressed with B26. New writers, new actor, probably a new composer and a new approach. So it's just a waiting game from my perspective.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    My concerns will most likely be addressed with B26. New writers, new actor, probably a new composer and a new approach. So it's just a waiting game from my perspective.

Yeah exactly. Bond is always changing. The reason there's been "negativity" lately is that we've just found out that Craig and Purvis and Wade are back which means that change isn't coming soon enough for some, but we'll get it eventually. No big deal imo, certainly not a huge enough issue to start petitioning EON about.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Can't really add anymore to that. Well said. Whatever problems I've had with the previous films have nothing to do with actual hate or negativity, it's just constructive criticism. Without it, nothing can really get better. I don't have many issues with Craig's era anyway aside from some minor things here but I'm still optimistic that Bond 25 will be fun and enjoyable.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited November 2017 Posts: 9,117
    I haven't really got much to add that @Thelivingroyale, @Murdock and @bondjames haven't already said.

Yes we live in a democracy regarding the government and public institutions and however much you might wish to believe that Bond is a public institution its not. Its a private company and they can do whatever they want with it. EON have no reason to listen to us because if you add up the box office take from everyone on here - even counting multiple viewings (I myself saw SP 5 times) - I doubt if it even amounts to one full screening at a decent sized cinema screen.

The only people they need to take notice of are the cinema going public who didn't quite take to SP as they did to SF, although they liked it enough to suggest that not much is wrong with the current approach.

The idea of having a fans panel being consulted is a nice idea but hardly workable given we cant even agree amongst ourselves on here. The only serious contribution such a panel could make would be to veto such inane decisions as the stepbrother or CGI tsunami but Babs and MGW really shouldn't need telling about such travesties; they ought to already know. The only way I can see this working is if I was appointed to oversee the script development - EON if you're reading feel free to drop me a PM and I'll be happy to outline where you went wrong with SP for lets say 0.5% of the gross.

I think it was Tarantino who said if you want to be a filmmaker then just get out there and make films. No one is going to offer you the chance to write a Bond script out of the blue which I feel is the hidden motivation here.

If Babs and MGW want to know our thoughts on matters I'm sure they are aware of these boards and so can read how much we despise stepbrothergate, the increasingly tiresome inability to get the GB right or Newman's slovenly score if they so desire.

Apart from anything else they employ people on the front desk specifically to filter junk mail from fans such as this so they're never even going to even see it.

Bond has had highs and lows before - this is inevitable for a series that spans 55 years. At the moment we are in a bit of a low. Some of us here don't have that much confidence that it has bottomed out yet but maybe it has and B25 will be a barnstormer or maybe we will have to wait until B26. Whatever happens Bond films will continue to get made because they make too much money for them not to. Some will be good and some wont but that's just the way of things.

PS - You might want to change 'Mrs' to 'Ms' as to the best of my knowledge Babs has not married someone called Mr Broccoli.

PPS - The day I put my name to something that contains the words 'our highly respected screenwriters Neal Purvis & Robert Wade' is the day I put my meat and two veg inside a Breville sandwich toaster.

PPPS - If this gets to 100,000 signatures does that mean they have to debate it in Parliament?

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Count me in the "couldn't be less worried" camp as well. I think that a lot of what has been going on lately has been an overreaction, as Bond 25 is coming and the franchise itself doesn't appear to be in any danger that I'm aware of. The series will change as will those who are its keepers, but Bond is Bond as it has been for 50 to 60 years now and that won't change. With every new actor a shift of some kind forms, and I think that will be all the refreshing we need in the franchise every decade or so, or every four to five films to put it into the context of film quantity.

I honestly don't see the point of petitioning, largely because this kind of appeal fits the same old ones you always see on Change.org all the time, which are at times calls from fans that are perhaps made with good intentions, but that ask too much or that are a little lost in their pie in the sky dreams.

I don't really think EON need to roll out a carpet for fans, nor do I think we're film stars (that would be the likes of Sean Connery or Roger Moore) that are owed a say in the franchise's direction. As it's already been said, fans can have great ideas, but they can also have really bad ones, and each idea is good or bad depending on what your tastes are. There's so many ways to approach a Bond film, either super campy to super serious and everything in between, so a Bond movie by committee would have a tough time focusing on a cohesive vision when so many cooks are in that kitchen.

I don't see the industry as not being inclusive to fans, you just get hired depending on what you've got to offer. Fans can't expect to be treated the same as a career experienced and trained screenwriter who has been at it for a while and who has earned their place in the discussion. Fans are meant for cons and certain celebration events, where their love of the films or shows they like can be expressed, but the vast majority aren't going to credibly find much footing as a serious voice in the industry if they themselves aren't skilled at actual storytelling. It's fun to debate story ideas or mock up rough outlines on this forum, but if you aren't actually trained in writing scripts for big productions, your utility is nonexistent to EON and they aren't going to just go on a search for nameless fan contributors in an effort to plot out their next film. They'll hire an industry vet who has made their career in storytelling and go from there, just as you would avoid amateurs and seek the best talents in anything you want done right in life. That's not a slant against fans, but most fans lack that utility and function that is most useful to EON. That's just the reality of the situation, in the name of pragmatism.

I think most of us on this forum realize that, despite our immense love for Bond, we're simply passionate commenters who have no greater right to molding the franchise to our wishes than anyone else. We can create outlines and treatments for fun all day, but I don't think that we are demanded a soapbox to speak on because of it, and, as I said above, most fans don't have the storytelling bona fides to be taken seriously in an industry like the film world.

I just don't think things are as bad as they've been made out to be by some, nor do I think EON need to be petitioned about anything, as if they are ignoring us and owe us a spot. They'll make their decisions for Bond as they always have, and fans will deal with it and adapt as they always have. I'm sure that if online petitions were a thing in 1968 fans would've been losing their minds, aggressively asking Cubby and co. what they were thinking to let Connery go, and the world would've lit itself on fire on social networks when Lazenby was cast as Sean's replacement. But the fans and EON got through those uncertain times without a petition and without any massive inclusion of fans and their ideas, just as EON will endure this current time (which I still hold isn't that drastic for Bond's future). Until then, those who write scripts will write scripts and as fans, we'll continue to be fans.
    They wont change anything now,its the last Craig Bond film.

Then they will shake things up and go off in another direction,on a mission based stand-alone era I think,so i'm prepared to wait and not 'rock the boat'.

Overall they have done an excellent job so far or we wouldn't be in this forum and it wouldn't have existed at all,that's one way to look at it.

So i'm out of signing anything,soz.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I'm with you Barry mate works just fine for me !.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited November 2017 Posts: 1,984
    Yeah, not too concerned myself. Bond's stuck through worse and bounced back without the need for these fan "direct democracies". The extent to which EON should be factoring in fan opinions is pretty much confined to the public reception towards each of their releases. They'll know if they made something that stuck with the fans, or didn't. And they know when they've gone too far. History's shown that in pretty much every decade of Bond's cinematic existence.
    Is this for real? LMAO
  • Can we stay a bit more respectful? You can disagree with my petition, but at least I don't sit still or stand by the sideline if I disagree with something. Action for me is more important than reaction. I prefer to use my democratic right over complaining about the direction of the Bond franchise in a forum that is only being read by 'us' nerdy forummembers. On top of that, I prefer to use my democratic right in a thoughtful, respectful and critical manner. In my letter you don't find contempt or 'hatemail' addressed to a certain producer or cast/crew members. It also took my quite a bit of time to write the letter attached to the petition. I know, in the past I have responded a cranky to certain fan creations. For that I apoligize. But I thought doing this petition is the best way to stay pro-actively involved in the Bond franchise, no matter how the result turns out.

By the way, a big thank you to Bill Koenig from TheSpyCommand who wrote a little piece about my initiative:
    https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2017/11/07/charge-org-petition-asks-for-more-fan-say-in-007-films/
    And a big thank you to Mark Ashby's nice, respectful comments about my letter. So far 10 people have signed the petition. Let's see what happens. If the petition ends with 11 people signing it, then I am already a very happy man :-).
    Can we stay a bit more respectful? You can disagree with my petition, but at least I don't sit still or stand by the sideline if I disagree with something. Action for me is more important than reaction. I prefer to use my democratic right over complaining about the direction of the Bond franchise in a forum that is only being read by 'us' nerdy forummembers. On top of that, I prefer to use my democratic right in a thoughtful, respectful and critical manner. In my letter you don't find contempt or 'hatemail' addressed to a certain producer or cast/crew members. It also took my quite a bit of time to write the letter attached to the petition. I know, in the past I have responded a cranky to certain fan creations. For that I apoligize. But I thought doing this petition is the best way to stay pro-actively involved in the Bond franchise, no matter how the result turns out.

By the way, a big thank you to Bill Koenig from TheSpyCommand who wrote a little piece about my initiative:
    https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2017/11/07/charge-org-petition-asks-for-more-fan-say-in-007-films/
    And a big thank you to Mark Ashby's nice, respectful comments about my letter. So far 10 people have signed the petition. Let's see what happens. If the petition ends with 11 people signing it, then I am already a very happy man :-).

Except this isn't a democracy ...
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Stop the world I want to get off.
  • With all due respect, EON aren't going to take any notice of your petition. So you may as well be "sitting on the sidelines" as the rest of us are. It'd have the same effect.

As many of us have said, complaining about the current direction doesn't mean the franchise is in danger. For those who don't like it, they'll get a change soon enough. I know that the "negative" comments on the production thread really rubbed you the wrong way but it really isn't a big deal at all. They're just harmless comments and speculation from some fans on the internet. Doesn't mean that the franchise is in danger and we should petition EON right away.
    Bond has had highs and lows before - this is inevitable for a series that spans 55 years. At the moment we are in a bit of a low. Some of us here don't have that much confidence that it has bottomed out yet but maybe it has and B25 will be a barnstormer or maybe we will have to wait until B26. Whatever happens Bond films will continue to get made because they make too much money for them not to. Some will be good and some wont but that's just the way of things.

Well said @TheWizardOfIce

I think it was Tarantino who said if you want to be a filmmaker then just get out there and make films. No one is going to offer you the chance to write a Bond script out of the blue which I feel is the hidden motivation here.

Also this. I said something similar in your thread about your pitch @Gustav but you seemed to ignore it: I know you were proud of your pitch but did you honestly expect anything else when you sent it off? They weren't being unfair. They must get loads of submissions from every man and his dog who thinks they have a great idea for the next Bond film and simply won't have time to read them all. If they read yours then they also have to read the pitch from the guy who has an Oscar worthy idea for a Die Another Day followup and so on. At least they had the decency to tell you it was nothing personal and they just don't take submissions.

If you're really serious then instead of moaning about how exclusive the film industry is and petitioning for them to listen to your ideas, try and put yourself out there and make original stuff. If you graft enough you might be able to make a career out of it. And who knows, maybe, some day, you would end up working on Bond in some capacity. But no matter how much effort you put into it now, it just isn't feasible/realistic to expect EON to listen to your ideas and pitches when you're just some fan on the internet, indistinguishable from any of the others, even the ones with terrible ideas.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    No it's not a democracy and therefore we get what we are given ,like it or not !
    No one other than EON should have any say in the way the films are made
    James Bond on the screen is theirs and theirs alone .
    With all due respect, EON aren't going to take any notice of your petition. So you may as well be "sitting on the sidelines" as the rest of us are. It'd have the same effect.

As many of us have said, complaining about the current direction doesn't mean the franchise is in danger. For those who don't like it, they'll get a change soon enough. I know that the "negative" comments on the production thread really rubbed you the wrong way but it really isn't a big deal at all. They're just harmless comments and speculation from some fans on the internet. Doesn't mean that the franchise is in danger and we should petition EON right away.

Well said @TheWizardOfIce

Also this. I said something similar in your thread about your pitch @Gustav but you seemed to ignore it: I know you were proud of your pitch but did you honestly expect anything else when you sent it off? They weren't being unfair. They must get loads of submissions from every man and his dog who thinks they have a great idea for the next Bond film and simply won't have time to read them all. If they read yours then they also have to read the pitch from the guy who has an Oscar worthy idea for a Die Another Day followup and so on. At least they had the decency to tell you it was nothing personal and they just don't take submissions.

If you're really serious then instead of moaning about how exclusive the film industry is and petitioning for them to listen to your ideas, try and put yourself out there and make original stuff. If you graft enough you might be able to make a career out of it. And who knows, maybe, some day, you would end up working on Bond in some capacity. But no matter how much effort you put into it now, it just isn't feasible/realistic to expect EON to listen to your ideas and pitches when you're just some fan on the internet, indistinguishable from any of the others, even the ones with terrible ideas.

Eon as a rule don't accept unsolicited ideas/scripts, it protects them against being sued if they intentionally/unintentionally use those ideas. This is the practice of most production companies to be honest.
  • Dennison wrote: »
    Eon as a rule don't accept unsolicited ideas/scripts, it protects them against being sued if they intentionally/unintentionally use those ideas. This is the practice of most production companies to be honest.

I know that. That's how the film business works. Pitching an idea is almost impossible, because EON is working with literary agents and other professional agencies who work as an intermediary between the production company and the actual....screenplay writer. And to become part of such an agency you need 99% luck and an already impressive resume.

But hey, that's not why I created the petition. I'm not pitching any ideas. Gave that up long ago.....since I have known how the film industry works as well.
    In the end? The producers will decide what they believe the fans want to see up on the big screen? It is as straight forward as that. We all have our own thoughts and passions about Bond which is brilliant. The off shoot of that is that as a collective we could never get into a single Bond film what we would all love to see.
    Dennison wrote: »

I know that. That's how the film business works. Pitching an idea is almost impossible, because EON is working with literary agents and other professional agencies who work as an intermediary between the production company and the actual....screenplay writer. And to become part of such an agency you need 99% luck and an already impressive resume.

But hey, that's not why I created the petition. I'm not pitching any ideas. Gave that up long ago.....since I have known how the film industry works as well.

I don't appreciate that you claim that many Bond fans are worried. Many Bond fans consider this period of the Bond films to be the best since the 1960s hey day. Your views in that letter are not necessarily representative.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 11,119

I don't appreciate that you claim that many Bond fans are worried. Many Bond fans consider this period of the Bond films to be the best since the 1960s hey day. Your views in that letter are not necessarily representative.

I am worried about certain aspects of the Bond franchise and the upcoming 25th Bond film, not about the past 4 Bond films. Because in all honesty, I love the past four Bond films. I have been a staunch defender of Daniel Craig. And I think as well that the last four Bond films are in a way comparable to the first four Bond films of the 1960's. So hey, we do agree on that.

By the way, a petition starts always with a claim, if you like it or not. That's how the thing works. Only then you can agree or disagree. So I can't help if you don't appreciate my....'claim'.

I also think my letter doesn't sound like an angry 'claim' at all. What worries me are:

--> The current screenplay writers, Neal Purvis & Robert Wade, to me sound fed up and void of creative and inspiring ideas. Hence I get fairly pessimistic when I read their......lack of creative zest with regard to Bond films (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2017/03/10/bond-25-ss-gb-writers-sign-new-007-film-will-daniel-craig/)

--> I am worried that we won't get anytime soon a final decision on the distribution of Bond 25...or for all future Bond films. The recent news that Disney will be acquiring 20th Century Fox (thus probably the home entertainment branch of the Bond franchise) and that Apple and Amazon are interested in (over)bidding as new distributors (possible for a new chapter of televized Bond) make me feel worried....and uncomfortable.

--> The fact that EON Productions engage in so many non-Bond activities ("The Rhytmn Section", "Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool") these days, makes me think that we probably have to get used to four year gaps. Which makes me unhappy. Why not engaging full-time on Bond? That used to be 'Cubby's' adage.

--> Barbara Broccoli herself admits that the (British) film industry is a “closed shop”. At this moment privilege and close friendships seem to be more dominant than a more out-of-the-box-mentality and an inclusive style of thinking with regard to talent and diversity. That's what her findings are in part. Well, can't I stress this out then??

--> Kathleen Kennedy, Lucasfilm producer of the "Star Wars"-franchise, consideres fans very important, as part of fan panels or any other brainstorm sessions. So is it that weird that I am asking for something similar with regard to...Bond? Call me naive, but I think it's time someone stands up for something like that.

Again, I agree with you on the recent state of the Bond franchise, and then especially about the last four films. But I am firmly talking about the short- and long-term future of Bond, starting with Bond 25. My efforts most likely will be in vain, but at least I don't...sit still.

But sjee, I am surprised about the amount of negativity clogging up in here already. You can agree or disagree........but I think my intentions are good. And actually much more similar to the intentions of all other Bond fans: To have a great Bond franchise that makes great Bond films, now and in the future.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,448
    If the fans get to have any input, no Bond film will be made until Hell freezes over.

The very minute someone mentions a chance of improvement for, say, SP, at least five members go nuclear. When someone else defends a thing or two about MR, "Wanted: Dead or Alive (preferably dead)" posters are printed in large quantities. We have Bond related threads that end with back-and-forth insults, "I'm out of here and never comin' back" sentiments, suicide threads and twenty flags that read "please ban this member". And you want some hypothetical version of 'us' to be consulted by Broccoli and Wilson? Good luck securing some sense of unity and unanimity in the first place.

Besides, the producers have one job and one job only: to craft a Bond film that makes people--and not necessarily us "over-analysing" everything, microscope wielding freaks with inflated opinions and overemotional responses to anything Bond--say, "Wow! I had never in my life dreamt of seeing something like this!". Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they don't, but I'll still happily leave things to the professionals. Merely compiling a film from elements "we all" like, would result in more of the same. There's a reason why from an ocean of fan fiction, not a single element was ever used in any of the Bond films, or Star Wars films, or ...

A petition like this may actually come off as pretty condescending; us, yokels, telling the people who have been producing some of the most successful films for over half a century, how to do things. We're users, not producers; we're fans, not active filmmakers. These people select whom to consult; they aren't told where they should go next. We don't want this:

the-homer-inline4.jpg

And neither do they. As mentioned before, your petition probably won't even reach Wilson and Broccoli. They operate on a vastly different plain. They are aware of the Internet's existence; they don't sneak around on it to read our opinions.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    If the fans get to have any input, no Bond film will be made until Hell freezes over.

The very minute someone mentions a chance of improvement for, say, SP, at least five members go nuclear. When someone else defends a thing or two about MR, "Wanted: Dead or Alive (preferably dead)" posters are printed in large quantities. We have Bond related threads that end with back-and-forth insults, "I'm out of here and never comin' back" sentiments, suicide threads and twenty flags that read "please ban this member". And you want some hypothetical version of 'us' to be consulted by Broccoli and Wilson? Good luck securing some sense of unity and unanimity in the first place.

Besides, the producers have one job and one job only: to craft a Bond film that makes people--and not necessarily us "over-analysing" everything, microscope wielding freaks with inflated opinions and overemotional responses to anything Bond--say, "Wow! I had never in my life dreamt of seeing something like this!". Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they don't, but I'll still happily leave things to the professionals. Merely compiling a film from elements "we all" like, would result in more of the same. There's a reason why from an ocean of fan fiction, not a single element was ever used in any of the Bond films, or Star Wars films, or ...

A petition like this may actually come off as pretty condescending; us, yokels, telling the people who have been producing some of the most successful films for over half a century, how to do things. We're users, not producers; we're fans, not active filmmakers. These people select whom to consult; they aren't told where they should go next. We don't want this:

the-homer-inline4.jpg

And neither do they. As mentioned before, your petition probably won't even reach Wilson and Broccoli. They operate on a vastly different plain. They are aware of the Internet's existence; they don't sneak around on it to read our opinions.

You took the words right out of my mouth ...
  • Despite the fact that those currently at helm at EON don't display any of the coherent vision and creative talent I would hope for my favorite franchise:
    Not only no, but hell no!
    Just having a tiny flashback of some ideas I read on this very forum alone sends icy shivers down my spine. There are certainly some with good to even excellent ideas, but the majority? Don't let me get started on it.

As an aside : was I the only one who was absolutely certain that this thread was started by Gustav Graves, when he clicked on it?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I prefer to use my democratic right

Can you tell me when the next Bond election is where I get to have my say? I've been a fan for fast approaching 40 years but never realised your could register to vote on matters Bondian until now.

Are there other democratic rights that I haven't been told about? Because I'd love to be able to vote for Klavan to be axed from Liverpool and for Armando Iannucci to make more of The Thick of It.

Given you're the one who has a nervous breakdown every time someone slags of Mendes anyway I don't even see what you're complaining about. Shouldn't you be saying more of the same?

I'm sorry mate, we all know your heart is in the right place but this isn't so much pissing in the wind as pissing in a hurricane.

Your only democratic right is not to give them your money and boycott the next film if you are not happy. That's the only aspect of your opinion they are interested in listening to.
  • Nope. Art isn't democratic. End of story - for me anyhow.
This discussion has been closed.