Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• edited March 2012 Posts: 268
    Oh I'm fully aware of that haha

And its not a trolling attempt either because I have never been enjoyed by that movie whenever I watch it. Nothing of interest happens in it. So it starts and old lady tries to look tough but it fails and she just seems ridiculous, then they're on a train and nothing happens... and then, nothing continues to happen.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited March 2012 Posts: 7,854
    Rossi wrote:
    Someone even went as far to say they enjoyed the Madonna music from Die Another Day

At least "Die Another Day" is better than Shirley "Can't-Really-F***ing-Sing" Bassey.

HERESY! ;)

I've been a heretic and a blasphemer my entire life. Believe it or not, my family actually refused to talk to me for an entire day when I said the Earth was round (not joking in the slightest).
    002 wrote:
    Here are Some Contriversial opinions:

1) Pierce Brosnan was The Colin Baker of James Bonds- underrated, underloved, stuck with bad storylines (DAD)

2) Qantumn of Solace is indeed the worst bond film of all time- so bad that it is up there with Jersey Shore and Twilight of all things that should be set on fire and erased from Time

3) Daniel Craig is the most overrated James Bond- he doesnt look like James Bond, his acting isnt strong, can only display anger and he only did 1 good bond film like George Lazenby he should have only did 1 film and moved on

4) Jinx, Mayday and Rosie from LALD are terrible bond girls- only Naomi Harris can break the curse

5) Michael G Wilson should write another bond script

6) Never Say Never Agian, A View to A Kill and Die Another Day were good bond films

7) The Reboot Idea is the worst decision EON made, they could have continued on from Die Another Day, Explained why Q and Moneypenny left and M Stayed instead of sending 40 years of Continuity down the toilet

8) Everything or Nothing should have been made into a Film

1) Now, I like Brosnan (he was the Bond of my youth, along with TV re-runs of the other four), and he was stuck with bad storylines (put TWINE in there, too).

2) I can't agree on QoS, but please add Dane Cook as one of those "set on fire and erased from Time" things.

3) Craig, while good, is overrated (on here; in real life, whoever I talk to has such a love for Brosnan it's odd that they haven't proposed to him yet).

4) I completely agree.

5) Well, he did a great job with FYEO, TLD and LTK, but OP and AVTAK were kind of sub-par (Controversial opinion: I prefer AVTAK).

6) I agree with AVTAK. F*** NSNA, and I loved DAD when I saw it, but the "magic" (or the heroin) has died away.

7) We needed the reboot. For the same reason Marvel Comics created the "Ultimate" line, eventually, when there's too much continuity, it has to go by the wayside and a new continuity set up beside it. There's no reason people can't enjoy both continuities.

8) Would love it (so long as they put MI6 back in the London HQ, stop sending Bond there every twenty minutes, explain why the f*** Jaws is a bad guy again, and find a spot for Moneypenny) but it will never happen.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2012 Posts: 15,686
    Rossi wrote:
    Someone even went as far to say they enjoyed the Madonna music from Die Another Day

At least "Die Another Day" is better than Shirley "Can't-Really-F***ing-Sing" Bassey.

HERESY! ;)

I've been a heretic and a blasphemer my entire life. Believe it or not, my family actually refused to talk to me for an entire day when I said the Earth was round (not joking in the slightest).

Well I do love DAD, but I wouldn't go as far as saying Madonna's song was better than Bassey's GF...... ;)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Rossi wrote:

HERESY! ;)

Well I do love DAD, but I wouldn't go as far as saying Madonna's song was better than Bassey's GF...... ;)

I've just never liked Bassey. I can't explain it at all, either.

And, like I said, I've been a heretic and a blasphemer all my life.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 1,082
    Bond is better when he has lots of gadgets and lots of quips.

The best Bond is smoking cigars, not cigaretts. ;)

George Lazenby is underrated. So are Roger and Pierce.

Timothy Dalton is overrated by many fans, but is extremely underrated by the general public.
    Mary Goodnight and Denise Richards are good Bond girls, while Vesper IMO is the worst.
    I think QoS is a good, solid action film. And as all Bond movies go, its a reflection of the times.

Forster, and up and coming director, was unexperienced to action. No doubt he would have looked to the majority of modern action films for some idea of how to capture scenes for Quantum. Also, the terrible writing, and overall theme of the film show how rough times were/are during its production and after.

Its not the best Bond movie, its more of a cheap rip off of Bond into a major action hero. But I still find it enjoyable, enough not to wipe it off the face of the Earth like some others. I feel like some of us have watched it once and over-thought it's elements.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Bond is better when he has lots of gadgets and lots of quips.

Quoted for truth.
    George Lazenby is underrated. So are Roger and Pierce.

Too true.
    Mary Goodnight and Denise Richards are good Bond girls, while Vesper IMO is the worst.

Totally agree on Goodnight and Vesper.

• edited March 2012 Posts: 17,241
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I think QoS is a good, solid action film. And as all Bond movies go, its a reflection of the times.

Forster, and up and coming director, was unexperienced to action. No doubt he would have looked to the majority of modern action films for some idea of how to capture scenes for Quantum. Also, the terrible writing, and overall theme of the film show how rough times were/are during its production and after.

Its not the best Bond movie, its more of a cheap rip off of Bond into a major action hero. But I still find it enjoyable, enough not to wipe it off the face of the Earth like some others. I feel like some of us have watched it once and over-thought it's elements.

Agreed. I can think of several good elements in QOS - something that always leave me thinking what QOS could have been without a writers strike.
  • 1. Jill Masterson is one of my favorite Bond girls even though she has only two or three scenes.
    2. Blofeld was a good villian.
    3. Thunderball is on the same level as You Only Live Twice. Both are good and maye top ten in my book, but not as good as the first three.
    4. The Jetpack from Thunderball wasn't that cool.
    This thread may well go on longer than 'Bond beards' I truly feel

#1 None of the girls (women) from Goldfinger did anything for me, they were all pretty mundane

#2 Savalas was a good Blofeld, as was Donald Pleasance

#3 Thunderball is streets ahead of You Only Live Twice. Connery is a different man in each release. Neither can compare to the opening two releases

#4 No, it wasn't. It fact it looked damned stupid above all else
    Daniel Craig should use Little Nellie, and drive "optional extras installed" cars.
    He should also use a Q-watch. That could be a laser, geiger counter or whatever.
    He should also have a gadget-laden boat, like the one in MR or TWINE.
    I must say, from what I have read in this forum, that DaltonCraig007 has excellent taste.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 1,082
    I mean TMWTGG at the top, with YOLT and MR as strong contenders for the title, while CR is at the bottom. Just like me.

Unless you already are one, DaltonCraig007, I really think you should become a movie critic.
    @007RogerMoore They should of scrapped that helicopter idea from You Only Live Twice, I thought it all looked a bit ridiculous. Can you have imagined Connery doing that in one of his first three entries, it was all getting a bit out of hand by this stage

Nothing wrong with Craig having a Q watch, but some people insist laser watches are a thing of the past and have no place in a 21st century Bond epic

Gadgen laden boats, No I say. It worked for Brosnan one time but not sure about now.

And the Gondola in Moonraker was just a normal canal boat, it wasn't even a Q boat, where did all those fancy gadgets come from :-L
    The gondola is excellent but I was refering to the one he is using while being chased by Jaws near the waterfall.
  • Dalton was fun. Some of his action scenes are the best of the series.
    Some people would go as far to say that Dalton didn't even have any action scenes
    Dalton was good, but he only had like one quip in LTK. In TLD there were a couple more funny moments.
    That's without question due to the fact that LTK was a more adult oriented release than it's predecessor. It seems strange in retrospect that they should stray from a continuous line of family friendly Bond fare and then one year take things up to such a level as never before, as in the level of violence never seen in James Bond before at the time

Not that I have a problem with it, but looking back, it seems like it was such a jump up from what went before
    The only reboot-part with Craig was starting over with a new 00. for the rest the movie was build up similar to the rest of the series. Most specifically the last Brosnan vehicles with a decent start but in the last part of the movie really going over the top with an unnessecary action-sequence instead of an e really decent resolve. DAD= airplane sequence / CR= sinking house sequence. I do not understand why they chose to start with a new beginning, it makes sense if you actually do something new and totally different. Yes indeed QoS was the most terrible 007-movie ever made but that is not a new direction just a bad director.

The talents of DC are well wasted in EON's hands, they chose action over acting, and making sense of story gets hidden in ridicolous editing.

Pierce Brosnan was denied a final outing by EON was a mistake.

Timothy Daltons 3rd Bond would have effectively sunk the franchise.

Roger Moore & Sean Connery are the two sides of the 007 coin, no actor has ever added anything these two did already put into the franchise.

AVTAK was a great spystory hat would have improved by a younger actor or a stronger role by Patrick MacNee, just using his STeed persona to make it a double topspy-story.
    That's without question due to the fact that LTK was a more adult oriented release than it's predecessor. It seems strange in retrospect that they should stray from a continuous line of family friendly Bond fare and then one year take things up to such a level as never before, as in the level of violence never seen in James Bond before at the time

Not that I have a problem with it, but looking back, it seems like it was such a jump up from what went before

Sometimes when I watch LTK, I think that only 1 movie seperates it from the Moore era, which is astonishing, even though AVTAK was quite serious and more violent than previous outings.

The quip I was talking about before is "It looks like he came to a dead end" upon seing Heller´s corpse.
    I've seen this before-

How and Why or what way even, was 'A View to a Kill' a violent episode of Bond history. Have I been watching a different version the last 26 years than everyone else?

Silly? , Yes. Inplausible? , Probably. Embarrassing? , most likely. Violent?, Er- No.

Also (License to Kill, Heller), I'm not sure it's feasibly possible to impale someone on a fort lift truck. Never seen it done in my defense, but still think a bit far fetched
    AVTAK had the raw murder of the russian guy in the propeller, and Zorin shooting innocent miners while laughing hysterically. That´s it really. Otherwise it´s nothing out of the ordinary.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited March 2012 Posts: 13,879
    Also (License to Kill, Heller), I'm not sure it's feasibly possible to impale someone on a fort lift truck. Never seen it done in my defense, but still think a bit far fetched
    It's feasible if they're backed up against a wall.
    I got to say it was a good line atleast, impossible or not.
    Just as the dead end joke was good in QOS ("Slate was a dead end"). Craig should do alot of those, and use the gadgets I proposed earlier.
    That oil pumping station killing of the Ivanova accomplice is more amusing than anything else

Zorin and Scarpine only shoot randomly about for less than a minute, and also I usually find myself laughing through it

Maybe View to a Kill went out with an intention to shock or something but only left this viewer with some moments of unintentional humor
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    The Halle coming out of the water scene was a deliberate homage to Ursula because DAD was another anniversary film. I can only hope there are good homages in Skyfall, not ones that make us groan (in the wrong way).

Yes, but the homage in DAD just so poorly done.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Dalton was fun. Some of his action scenes are the best of the series.

Dalton did have a few good scenes:

"problem solver"
    "more of a problem eliminator"

However IMO he was more "fun" in a film like Hot Fuzz. You could just see he was enjoying himself a bit more.

With Bond there was often an "actor" mentality but with HF he could just let go.

Just my view.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Dalton was fun. Some of his action scenes are the best of the series.

Dalton did have a few good scenes:

"problem solver"
    "more of a problem eliminator"

However IMO he was more "fun" in a film like Hot Fuzz. You could just see he was enjoying himself a bit more.

With Bond there was often an "actor" mentality but with HF he could just let go.

Just my view.

Hot Fuzz, along Johnny English Reborn and Cleanskin are masterpieces I can very much watch over and over again while waiting for the fun to return to Bond.