Could the 2010's Become The Golden Age of Cinematic Bond?

2»

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    It's undeniable though that the best team Bond ever had was Terrence Young, Richard Maibaum and John Barry.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited November 2017 Posts: 9,117
    It's undeniable though that the best team Bond ever had was Terrence Young, Richard Maibaum and John Barry.

I'd hrow Sean Connery, Ken Adam and Peter Hunt into that too.

An embarrassment of riches. No wonder there's no chance of us seeing the like of the 60s again.

If throw Sean Connery, Ken Adam and Peter Hunt into that too.

An embarrassment of riches. No wonder there's no chance of us seeing the like of the 60s again.
    Very true.
    And what do we get these days? Sam Mendes, Dennis Gassner, Thomas Newman, P&W and Lee Smith (me neither - had to Google him, although in fairness his CV is pretty good).

Not quite the same is it?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    And what do we get these days? Sam Mendes, Dennis Gassner, Thomas Newman, P&W and Lee Smith (me neither - had to Google him, although in fairness his CV is pretty good).

Not quite the same is it?

There's no talents like the old days in any fields, that's just the way it is. Film being one of the biggest examples.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Oh MGW please come back and write one last script. The 80s were a damn solid era.
    Agreed. There is a taste of him in QOS as he was responsible for some plot elements. I guess that’s why QOS has such a fantastic plot.
    Damn it would have been nice to have had 4 films this decade. A shame productivity has been cut in half since 1989.
    The Eon team from the 60's-80's : Cubby, Maibaum, Binder, Glen, etc had the bonus of constantly working on their crafts every couple years. Elements that might have not worked in some entries would be remedied by the follow up, yet the films never failed to feel like Bond films. Practice makes perfect.
    It's kind of like being a musician and picking up your guitar every day, jamming for yourself, practicing and learning new chords, licks, etc. Then being ready each time you get a gig.
    If you don't pick up your instrument for 4 years, and get a gig you're bound to be rusty.
    Perhaps that's why P&W are racking their brains to come up new approaches to keep Bond relevant? They only get to write a new Bond script a three times per decade.
    Maybe EON will take a page from Marvel's book with the next actor and plan things ahead.

At any rate, is keeping Bond relevant something that requires that much effort? We know much of the appeal of Bond is in knowing what we're going to get: martinis, girls and guns-- timeless things. I think P&W talked about "Bond's place in the world"... his place is secure. I mean, what bad guys has he battled in past films? Evil organizations, evil industrialists, rogue generals, smugglers, drug dealers... these are all still around.

This shouldn't be too hard, just give us kiss kiss bang bang and be sure to take the pulse of world events every once in a while, to keep the stories fresh and current.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Maybe EON will take a page from Marvel's book with the next actor and plan things ahead.

At any rate, is keeping Bond relevant something that requires that much effort? We know much of the appeal of Bond is in knowing what we're going to get: martinis, girls and guns-- timeless things. I think P&W talked about "Bond's place in the world"... his place is secure. I mean, what bad guys has he battled in past films? Evil organizations, evil industrialists, rogue generals, smugglers, drug dealers... these are all still around.

This shouldn't be too hard, just give us kiss kiss bang bang and be sure to take the pulse of world events every once in a while, to keep the stories fresh and current.

Yeah, you'd think so with the value of the franchise they'd have it all planned ahead. Thing is Eon has always marched to its own drummer. Now they can claim they have all these other projects aside from Bond.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I viewed Thor Ragnarok today.

While in the theatre having a blast, I reminisced about the fact that at one time EON ironically were the 'sausage factory' of sorts, churning out somewhat formulaic but still highly entertaining and anticipated entries with some regularity for 20+ years into the late 80s. They arguably wrote the book from which Marvel has taken a leaf. How times have changed.

Additionally, while patiently viewing the ending titles waiting for the post-credits scene (a tradition with these films) I also realized that even this was sort of reminiscent of EON in the past. After all, EON used to tease the title of the next film (which almost inevitably would arrive in theatres 2 years later) during the end credits.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    is there one or two scenes after the actual film?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    is there one or two scenes after the actual film?
    Two, but they aren't really all that great.
  • every roger moore bond flicks are criminally underrated, octopussy and moonrake even moreso.
  • Here's a question that I've been pondering for the longest:

With the Bond franchise being so iconic and tenured as it is, how can EON allow Bond films to be as competitive (on-par, if not surpassing) with the Star Wars franchise?
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I'd prefer that they didn't. I'd like to see the films scaled down and go for a more discriminating audience (not the comic book/matinee market), with lower box office expectations to match. But that won't happen.

What do you feel makes Star Wars more competitive than Bond? Is it that it's marketed more towards comic book/sci fi folks (a broad audience)? I felt that perhaps it was because it was marketed more toward an American market, whereas Bond is more UK/Euro.
    Rasputin wrote: »
    every roger moore bond flicks are criminally underrated, octopussy and moonrake even moreso.
    Agreed especially with Moonraker. I can never understate the hate for it. It's OTT and doesn't take itself too seriously, so what? I was watching it earlier today and I couldn't help but enjoy myself with the film. It's definitely in my top ten, particularly for how well it's directed and executed. The cinematography alone is sensational as are the locales. It's a near perfect Bond film for my tastes.
    Rasputin wrote: »
    every roger moore bond flicks are criminally underrated, octopussy and moonrake even moreso.

He's Russia's greatest love machine and he's bang on the money. Привет товарищ.

Edit: I've just seen his comment in the football thread and thus retract the above praise.
    double post
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    1. 60's
    2. 80's
    3. 90's
    4. 70's
    5. 00's
    6. 10's