How do you listen to music?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    When it comes to music I am stuck mostly in the 20th century, I could not name any recent albums groups etc.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    There is still a lot of good music coming out, but you wouldn t know by watching tv or listening to the radio anymore.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    In my university days I was more in touch with up and coming bands, I worked for a promotions company for a while hiring bands setting up venues etc.
    @Torgeirtrap, I don't have a clear idea of what your tastes are, but if I had an idea maybe I could recommend some modern groups/artists (or even those of the far past) that may catch your fancy?

That would be great! Most of my playlists are somewhat rock oriented, a bit of pop but not much (mostly 80's stuff), and of course a lot of 60/70s movie scores (Barry, Schifrin, Mancini and Montenegro). Probably too vague, but that's the best I could do, I guess.
    When it comes to music I am stuck mostly in the 20th century, I could not name any recent albums groups etc.
    There is still a lot of good music coming out, but you wouldn t know by watching tv or listening to the radio anymore.

Quit listening to the most common radio channels here long ago. Most music comes from genre related internet radio channels - and a bit of P13 (as you might be familiar with @Thunderfinger?)
    No. Where is that available? And is it digital? If so, out of reach for me.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited October 2017 Posts: 28,694
    @Torgeirtrap, how do you feel about music like bluegrass, soul, R&B and reggae, or indie groups with a different but interesting sound?

It would also be efficient and helpful if you could list some of your favorite artists or bands/groups simply to give me an idea of what kind of sound or style of music you favor?
    https://radio.nrk.no/direkte/p13 :-)
    @Torgeirtrap, how do you feel about music like bluegrass, soul, R&B and reggae, or indie groups with a different but interesting sound?

It would also be efficient and helpful if you could list some of your favorite artists or bands/groups simply to give me an idea of what kind of sound or style of music you favor?

Indie for sure, not so sure about the other categories – R&B if it's 60's/70's stuff, and not contemporary. Do listen a bit to bands like Queens of the Stone Age (and all the bands each member are associated with), Arctic Monkeys/The Last Shadow Puppets (should be hired to do a Bond theme!), older stuff like Led Zep, Rolling Stones, The Who, The Kinks, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran – and punk/britpop of course: The Clash, The Jam (and anything with Paul Weller), Ramones, Iggy Pop, Oasis, Blur. Think these are the artists that get played the most (not counting Barry, Schifrin and those guys). Other than that, there are only a couple of contemporary artists that get played on a biweekly basis: Robyn and Röyksopp. Robyn could be an interesting choice for a Bond theme too, actually.
    Don't know if that helps, haha!

First thing I hear when clicking on that link is Listening Wind by Talking Heads, and a review of Remain In Light. A favourite. Have bookmarked it, thanks.

First thing I hear when clicking on that link is Listening Wind by Talking Heads, and a review of Remain In Light. A favourite. Have bookmarked it, thanks.

Some good programs there. One of the best programs is called Transmission, I think. Lot of 80's stuff every time I've tuned in.
    That was the one.
    That was the one.

Transmission had an interesting bit about The Cure last time I listened to it. Not a band I listen too often, but there was some quite good songs presented!
    I just discovered that I can go back and listen to the whole show from the beginning. What a world we live in. In earlier days it took a cassette recorder.
    It's the beauty of internet radio, @Thunderfinger!
    Yes. I can recommend this Transmission, dealing with Remain In Light, Talking Heads fourth and best album from 1980.
    Yes. I can recommend this Transmission, dealing with Remain In Light, Talking Heads fourth and best album from 1980.

Not to familiar with Talking Heads. Will have to have a listen.
    On CD and Vinyl.
    Looks like some of us on the forum listen to music on vinyl. For those who does – what kind of turntable(s) do you have?

I have a couple of old ones, but have been thinking about getting a brand new one, to avoid having to think about service, and possibly the availability of replacement styli.
    With my ears?!!! Lol!
    Looks like some of us on the forum listen to music on vinyl. For those who does – what kind of turntable(s) do you have?

I have a couple of old ones, but have been thinking about getting a brand new one, to avoid having to think about service, and possibly the availability of replacement styli.

I have a Sony PSLX300.
    Dennison wrote: »

I have a Sony PSLX300.

Good turntable?
    de29c095f1eaa9f91c229d15a1569637.jpg
    Hah! Rutetid is a great one panel comic. Walkman, though – must be an old one, this!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Although I own a Sony MP3 player and use it when I'm out on the move most of my listening is done properly in the comfort of my living room, I only tend to listen to music during weekends and days off and it will always be my Rega Planar RP3 record deck.

I did move towards CD for sometime but gravitated back to the format I grew up with once I realised you can't better sound than the trusty analogue format over 20 years ago and have been buying vinyl ever since then.

The best way to listen to music is on a turntable through a decent set of missions. I have around 1000 LP's 200 12"s and about 100 7" of various genres but primarily rock.

Music is most likely my biggest passion with films taking a close 2nd so good quality equipment is pivotal for me, call me an audiophile snob if you like.
    That's an impressive collection, @Shardlake!
    Considered getting a Rega Planar record deck about a year ago, but ended up with the Philips GA 312 turntable instead. Probably not as high-end, but it was affordable – and being a 70's one, it makes a good companion to the Tandberg receivers from the same era.

Might reconsider a Rega Planar or a Pro-Ject in the future, but the Philips deck does the job well so far. Looks good too, with green button lights and all. Would you recommend getting a Rega?
    vtZnavy.jpg
  • music has sadly died since 1999 nothing worthy has come up since then, the 90s weren't brilliant like the 80s or 70s but hold their own, 00s sucked
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Although I own a Sony MP3 player and use it when I'm out on the move most of my listening is done properly in the comfort of my living room, I only tend to listen to music during weekends and days off and it will always be my Rega Planar RP3 record deck.

I did move towards CD for sometime but gravitated back to the format I grew up with once I realised you can't better sound than the trusty analogue format over 20 years ago and have been buying vinyl ever since then.

The best way to listen to music is on a turntable through a decent set of missions. I have around 1000 LP's 200 12"s and about 100 7" of various genres but primarily rock.

Music is most likely my biggest passion with films taking a close 2nd so good quality equipment is pivotal for me, call me an audiophile snob if you like.

CD has a greater dynamic range.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 684

I've been thinking about going vinyl lately, so I'd also be interested in hearing any recommendations.

@Dennison Do you mean greater dynamic range potential? Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the end wouldn't it come down to the audio engineering?

I bookmarked this handy website a couple weeks back. It shows the dynamic range score for different albums and their various formats.

http://dr.loudness-war.info

Just trying to figure this out because one of the reasons I've been thinking of starting to collect vinyl is, beyond the aesthetics and the hands-on feeling of analog, with the understanding that the DR can be better or at least comparable.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 17,241
    Strog wrote: »
    I've been thinking about going vinyl lately, so I'd also be interested in hearing any recommendations.

Vinyl is really fun. Like the format, and I think it sounds good, as well. Only have the old Philips GA 312, and a Garrard SP25 Mk IV which is a combined turntable/Tandberg receiver. Would recommend the Philips as a affordable vintage option, but there is a lot to choose from. Hearing good things about Rega and Pro-Ject turntables – but also vintage ones from Thorens, Dual, Lenco, Pioneer and many more. Some of them can be upgraded with better arms, cartridges etc. Same goes for newer turntables, of course.

There's a lot to be found online about this! :)

@Dennison Do you mean greater dynamic range potential? Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the end wouldn't it come down to the audio engineering?

I bookmarked this handy website a couple weeks back. It shows the dynamic range score for different albums and their various formats.

Just trying to figure this out because one of the reasons I've been thinking of starting to collect vinyl is, beyond the aesthetics and the hands-on feeling of analog, with the understanding that the DR can be better or at least comparable.

CD vs vinyl is an never-ending discussion it seems. I like both, but feel that some albums sounds better on vinyl (and the other way around, of course!). Mostly older albums, but also more recent releases. In the end the equipment might be the bigger factor. Possibly the music genre as well.

Yes, potential. Of course everything is mastered for everything to be LOUD these days.