No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Well, the good news about this revelation is EON appear to have paid attention to the market. The most telling comment was from P&W earlier in the year, namely that SP finished off a certain way of doing Bond. I'm now intrigued and interested again.

It seems to back up about P&W comments on "no more personal drama" stuff.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    royale65 wrote: »
    Well, the good news about this revelation is EON appear to have paid attention to the market. The most telling comment was from P&W earlier in the year, namely that SP finished off a certain way of doing Bond. I'm now intrigued and interested again.

Indeed. This is looking up all of a sudden.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The only alternative to this being the absolute truth is: perhaps the producers really are being cagey with everyone outside of DC?

Harris, Rory, they're not sure if they're coming back for this film.

And now Blofeld/Waltz.

Perhaps the assumption is that, since he knows EoN is gearing up for the next one, Waltz genuinely assumed his services weren't needed?

I would have thought that the producers would have signed him with an option to be in a sequel.

I hope, of course, that this is, once again, silly conjecture on my part, but I could see Babs firing a script off to Waltz in the coming weeks/months showing that Blofeld is still, very much, operational.

In the case of the interview, I do believe Waltz. But I wonder if he's answering out of ignorance of the actual situation back at EoN HQ, or did he receive an absolute sign from them that they were moving on without him?

All in all, I am of the hope that his Blofeld is rotting away in prison, off camera, never to be seen or mentioned again.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    royale65 wrote: »

I still can't seem to find the source for this.
    ggl007 wrote: »
    BREAKING: Christoph Waltz says he's not returning https://www.facebook.com/talkymovie/videos/490859154629767/

(Is this like the “I’m just playing Oberhauser” thing…?)

I feel its something similar to this.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    ggl007 wrote: »
    BREAKING: Christoph Waltz says he's not returning https://www.facebook.com/talkymovie/videos/490859154629767/
    YESSSS! NO Blofeld! NO YOLT adaptation! NO direct sequel! I have been telling you for months that Blofeld is very unlikely to return, but you were not listening!

This is seriously excellent news!

Today is the day you get to say "I told you so"...
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 1,964
    If what Waltz is saying is true it doesn't mean Blofeld wont be back. Lets not forget Blofeld was never played by the same actor twice (not counting Anthony Dawson). Also in the novels Blofeld always changed his appearance. If they do a true YOLT adaptation than Blofeld would have to be looking different. Hence bring in a new actor.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Funny, some acted like that was confirmed a long while back. I can only hope this means no return for Swann, either and it's not a SP continuation. Would be unexpected, as I had assumed that was the path they were going to take.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I would have welcomed Waltz back, but am curious about what we get instead.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I don’t think the changing of Blofeld actors would be something that would fly nowadays.

He’s either back (and Waltz isn’t aware of this since no one has reached out to him yet),or, and the more likely prediction stated some time ago by @PanchitoPistoles (congrats if this all holds together!),is that Blofeld’s gone.

Maybe, as @bondjames was thinking, the next film will be many years after the last film?...

The problem is that the writers better give us a great villain, the best Bond has ever seen, since, no matter how much we didn’t buy it, they went to great pains telling us that Ernst was the author of all of Bond’s pain— which would imply (although they failed wholly in execution), that Blofeld was Bond’s greatest adversary.

So this new villain better put those words to bed permanently, and be the true super-villain that Bond’s ever faced...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Gary Oldman
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    I really don't buy it since the ending of spectre clearly sets up christoph waltz to return as blofeld I think he really is pulling off a I'm not playing blofeld act again
    I really don't buy it since the ending of spectre clearly sets up christoph waltz to return as blofeld I think he really is pulling off a I'm not playing blofeld act again

If he is, then it better be for the time being. If they're really trying to pull off another 'he's not Blofeld' twist, I'll have to chuckle.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Thunderfinger -- yes!!
    First rule of the spying game? Trust no one! Lol! I will wait for the press conference? Maybe even the movie! Lol!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    First rule of the spying game? Trust no one! Lol! I will wait for the press conference? Maybe even the movie! Lol!
    That goes for every statement by everyone imho.

What's Baz been saying lately. He's been rather quiet, no?
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited October 2017 Posts: 3,157
    In thr YOLT novel Bond is not supposed to face Blofeld and only finds out Blofeld and Shatterhand are the same person very late in the book. I wouldn't be surprised if they were going to do something akin to that in the movie, hence another "I'm not Blofeld" comment by Waltz.
    No Blofeld in the next one? I'm fine with that. But we could still get spectre.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 6,682
    Maybe the next film with begin with Bond in his suit from the end of Skyfall, standing in front of M, who'll say "well, that last mission with the huge explosion was certainly tough. So, 007, lots to be done." Then the film will forget about Quantum, Spectre and Blofeld, and fans will have the opportunity to decide whether the explosion M is talking about is the Spectre one, or perhaps the Skyfall one, implying Spectre is to be ignored by everyone.

Y'know, DAF style.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I guess Craig's Bond really should have shot Blofeld at the end of Spectre, then.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    This makes no sense to me. Why are so many people joyful about Waltz not returning? I have no problems with his portrayal and I hate unresolved stories.
    technically waltz can be in the next one but he might not be the main villain.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Well thats a kick in the balls...looks like they are going stand-alone and putting Blofeld on ice for the new Bond,as i hoped they would do.

This is a positive move,and EON and Daniel have appeared to have listened to real Bond fans ,so fair play there.

As i said,Daniel needs a new one-off villain,no emotional drag-back ,and a stand-alone mission...give him the freedom to play Bond without all the baggage.

Let Daniel BE Bond !!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I won't rush to take this snippet of red carpet video as absolute fact as so many seem to have. I don't trust anything with these sorts of things, no matter what. As with all things, time will be the true confirmer of what is true and what isn't. With Waltz I can never tell what's up and down, and that's very much in his personality too.

At this point, I really don't care either way. Just fascinated and interested to see what's coming, whatever form that takes.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 6,682
    Well, I was expecting Blofeld to return, even in a small role, given the continuity-heavier Craig era. This is interesting. They're just cutting the dead leaves. I actually like Waltz's Blofeld, but he didn't come across as an especially promising recurring character. I think there was potential, but they didn't show it too much the last time.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    This makes no sense to me. Why are so many people joyful about Waltz not returning? I have no problems with his portrayal and I hate unresolved stories.

Same. Script was the problem, not the actor.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Walecs wrote: »

Thank you. Finally someone gets me.
    Script was definitely the issue, but the possibility of no Blofeld = likeliness of no Swann = standalone installment for Craig's last, which is what I'd prefer. I don't want a continuation of SP unless it's going in a totally different direction.

I'd be more than happy with Waltz returning if they gave him some real cutting, intense dialogue.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 19,339

I dont mind Waltz coming back but give Blofeld some balls...he should have got away in SP and then the interest level would have been higher,as some kids have never seen Bond 'lose'.

Give Christoph a say and let him play Blofeld how he wants...then i will be fine with that,he is a damn good actor.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    barryt007 wrote: »

I dont mind Waltz coming back but give Blofeld some balls...he should have got away in SP and then the interest level would have been higher,as some kids have never seen Bond 'lose'.

Give Christoph a say and let him play Blofeld how he wants...then i will be fine with that,he is a damn good actor.

All the Craig films have ended with victory being ambiguous, though, so if anything SP was the one time he was a complete victor. I've listened to people have a fit if Bond doesn't 100% "win" at the end of a film anyway, so it's apparently not a popular story conclusion to have Bond facing odds that leave him collaterally damaged.