BOND POLLS 2017: So if Bond #25 is Craig's last? How should we approach his final 10 minutes?

13»

Comments

• bondjames wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    No way...If Bond is killed then so is the series.
    If he comes back in another re-boot he will be a laughing stock.
    Not all normal cinema-goers or very casual Bond fans see this as a story arc period,they are just Bond films,so to do something stupid like killing him off would be very detrimental....very.

If they kill Bond, that would finally fully convince me that they know longer have a clue how to make a Bond films. In 4 films, they still haven't got the gun barrel right, so I wouldn't be that surprised if they did kill Bond.

I wouldn't mind if they did. To me it seems like they've decided that the Craig era is its own self contained thing ala Nolan's Batman. I think the idea of it being the start of a whole new series went out the window with SP. It's all too tied together now to just carry on with a new guy and I mean, they made Blofeld his brother. After SP it's anything goes at this point imo. Sort of a parallel universe take on the old Bond legend.

I think killing Bond off could be a really cool ending to that if done right. But really I don't mind how they end it at all as long as it has a proper ending. Keep the Craig films seperate from the other movies.
    I completely agree. I see them as distinct and a parallel universe as well. Strictly formative origin story stuff (whether it be Bond, MP, M, Blofeld etc.).

I think the films become much more enjoyable when you accept that as well. I spent the first half of the Craig era waiting for the origin story to end and for them to get back onto making "proper" Bond films again until I eventually realised that it wasn't some elaborate setup for a return back to the 1962-2002 way of doing things. It was just them establishing the new status quo. This is what the Bond films are now, at least until Craig leaves. And once I came to terms with that and accepted them for what they are I ended up with a much more positive view of the current era than I used to (except QoS, no redeeming that one in my eyes). It also helped that SF and SP really resonated with me in a way his first two didn't.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    No way...If Bond is killed then so is the series.
    If he comes back in another re-boot he will be a laughing stock.
    Not all normal cinema-goers or very casual Bond fans see this as a story arc period,they are just Bond films,so to do something stupid like killing him off would be very detrimental....very.

Words of wisdom .
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    My response is the same as Noel Coward, when asked by Fleming if he were interested in the role of Dr No. There is not cool way of pulling that idea off, just avoid it like a giant crater in the middle of the road. The Killing Zone killed Bond but thankfully that is an unofficial book. Once Bonds death is seen, it can't be unseen. I would go to the length of avoiding the film, indefinitely.