No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    since this new Moneypenny is also M's personal bodyguard.

You must have watched a different film to me because what I saw was an ex SAS officer who can still handle himself and someone who bottled their only active assignment in the field and then opted to retreat behind a desk.

Why would the former have the latter as a bodyguard? He'd do better with Rory 'where's the nearest deskfor me to cower under when it's all kicking off' Kinnear watching his back.
    She's depicted as such. I don't support it. With the new graphic novels openly stating she is "the last line of defense" as well as showing her repeatedly cleaning up her gun and keeping it in her desk compartment just in case, I commented in regard to that, as well as the publisher being inspired by Naomie's version of Moneypenny both in characterization and resemblance.

When is she depicted as such? And I mean in the films not some comics.
    since this new Moneypenny is also M's personal bodyguard.

You must have watched a different film to me because what I saw was an ex SAS officer who can still handle himself and someone who bottled their only active assignment in the field and then opted to retreat behind a desk.

Why would the former have the latter as a bodyguard? He'd do better with Rory 'where's the nearest deskfor me to cower under when it's all kicking off' Kinnear watching his back.

M being threatened in every plot is, simply to say, stupid as well as lazy as the agility of a three-toed sloth.

In this respect you are right. In both films so far Fiennes has picked up a gun. Bernard Lee never did it once. You do the math(s).

I of course may be wrong, especially since I haven't seen Skyfall very often, but I don't think Mallory was ex SAS. If he had been Bond wouldn't have any doubts about his knowledge of life at the front.

Yeah you are wrong.

So why has gone no respect for him from the very start? If he is a former SAS commander it's obvious that he knows about the tough life, since to become so do you half to be one of them. I should think that anyone who qualifies for the SAS should have Bonds utmost respect.
    But of course we are talking about Skyfall, the movie in which nothing makes sense. My mistake.

I would tend to agree with you.

Suggest you address your complaints to:

P&W
    c/o EON Productions
    Cobbled Together Script Avenue
    London

Judging from the predominant quality of the movies hitting the screen these days I would guess this Cobbled Together Script Avenue to be long enough to connect London and Glasgow.

They have several premises for tax reasons. SP was written at:

Piss On Fleming's Grave House
    Narrative Cul de Sac
    Thirdactcollapseville
    =)) Sir, I salute you for that masterstroke witticism that you bear!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @Birdleson, your "Scooby Gang" comment seems to have taken on an eternal life.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Matt007 wrote: »
    no I don't think a modern take on moneypenny is her in the field. a modern take would be similar to the snappy dialogue between bond and vesper - sexy, fun, flirtatious and clever. Not the scooby doo gang that we got in SP nor retreading the arse slapping of connerys era. Certainly not a granny going to the races as per AVTAK. She looked like the queen mum.
    I agree. That's what characterized the earlier entries, along with the excellent chemistry between the early Bonds and Maxwell (she was great with all of them). I think they thought they were doing that in SF, but it fell flat for me. They didn't even try in SP (gave up it seems).

A little playful arse slapping wouldn't go amiss to this viewer either. However, that all went out the door during Samantha Bond's time, as she explained in GE. A sexual harassment suit (and a boycott of the film) will probably be the result of such behaviour today.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 4,619
    But of course we are talking about Skyfall, the movie in which nothing makes sense. My mistake.
    Umm, everything in Skyfall makes 100% sense, you must be talking about either QOS or SP. Btw, I just realized that Craig only had TWO official Bond movies so far: CR and SF.

QOS and SP are fanfictions, nothing more, and I will be unwilling to accept them as official Bond movies from now on. Hopefully Bond 25 will provide a proper ending to Craig's Bond trilogy!
    Umm, everything in Skyfall makes 100% sense, you must be talking about either QOS or SP. Btw, I just realized that Craig only had TWO official Bond movies so far: CR and SF.

QOS and SP are fanfictions, nothing more, and I will be unwilling to accept them as official Bond movies from now on. Hopefully Bond 25 will provide a proper ending to Craig's Bond trilogy!

Life must be quite rosy and beautiful on your side of reality.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

It's like Trump's Twitter feed in here.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 4,619
    On a more serious note, please @noSolaceleft, do list a few things that don't make any sense in Skyfall.

@jake24 On one hand I was joking, but on the other hand I really do believe it would be for the best if they ignored QOS and SP while making Bond 25.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    On a more serious note, please @noSolaceleft, do list a few things that don't make any sense in Skyfall.
    Feel free to do so in a designated thread while the rest of us talk B25.
    @jake24 What do you mean by " rest of us"? How much talk do you see about Bond 25 on this page of this thread, genius?
    @jake24 What do you mean by " rest of us"? How much talk do you see about Bond 25 on this page of this thread, genius?
    Exactly my point!
    @jake24 So why did you single ME out then?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Isn't the point that is there is an existing dedicated thread to discuss SF's pros and cons... Other discussion which organically branches from the B25 topic don't necessarily have such privileges.

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/9169/did-i-overcomplicate-the-plot-skyfall-appreciation-discussion#latest
    @bondjames Precisely!
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

What in QOS doesn't make sense to you?
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

Its funny you say that because I choose to believe their hasn’t been a bond film released since 2008....

Its funny you say that because I choose to believe their hasn’t been a bond film released since 2008....

This somehow represents my school of thought as well.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423
    It's going to be long two years of pulling each other's hairs.

This fake news is catching on it seems.
    bondjames wrote: »

This fake news is catching on it seems.

It helps me to cushion the harsh reality.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2017 Posts: 4,043
    Shardlake wrote: »
    @noSolaceleft I think Skyfall is pretty explicit in saying that Gareth Mallory is Ex SAS, it also mentions him being held captive by the IRA.

I have seen SF many times and maybe it's time you checked your facts before spouting such nonsense.

Your disdain for the DC era makes you not the best person to be commenting on the history of the character in this era.

Fair enough don't like it and make snidey remarks in a really patronising manner but do your research before you do.

Irregardless of you thinking it and not being convinced the films script plainly mentions it.

Pardon? Those were my words:
    "I of course may be wrong, especially since I haven't seen Skyfall very often, but I don't think ..."

I see two possible reasons for this:
    Either you aren't capable of contemplating the meaning of my words from an intellectual point of view or you or you don't take the time to read posts before you start to reprimand people.
    Whatever the reason may be I would ask you to refrain from commenting on my posts as long as you haven't found a solution to your problem.

Have a nice day

Oh we are so clever, look I've been here long before you and I'll be here long after you, your type always burns out eventually, you might be impressing yourself in your bedroom keyboard warrior delusions but I feel not many hear apart from exceptions see right through your own self deluded importance on this forum.
    Oh we are so clever, look I've been here long before you and I'll be here long after you, your type always burns out eventually, you might be impressing yourself in your bedroom keyboard warrior delusions but I feel not many hear apart from exceptions see right through your own self deluded importance on this forum.
    Count me in as one of the apparently deluded exceptions.
    @noSolaceleft I think Skyfall is pretty explicit in saying that Gareth Mallory is Ex SAS, it also mentions him being held captive by the IRA.

I have seen SF many times and maybe it's time you checked your facts before spouting such nonsense.

Your disdain for the DC era makes you not the best person to be commenting on the history of the character in this era.

Fair enough don't like it and make snidey remarks in a really patronising manner but do your research before you do.

Irregardless of you thinking it and not being convinced the films script plainly mentions it.

"I of course may be wrong, especially since I haven't seen Skyfall very often, but I don't think ..."

Either you aren't capable of contemplating the meaning of my words from an intellectual point of view or you or you don't take the time to read posts before you start to reprimand people.
    Whatever the reason may be I would ask you to refrain from commenting on my posts as long as you haven't found a solution to your problem.

Have a nice day

Oh we are so clever

WE?
    bondjames wrote: »
    The reason I don't like Harris (as I've said before) has to do with the fact that she comes across as more of an action girl than a behind the desk type. She is naturally better for the field imho (at least that's how she comes across to me). So even though her character is framed as a field incompetent in SF, I found her credible running around and holding / shooting a gun. I find her less credible being all dressed up behind a desk. I just find it doesn't suit her.

And the character's arc is unsatisfactory, with her going from field operative to office worker because she wasn't good enough. Things would be a bit different if the film showed Moneypenny was truly in her element working alongside Mallory, helping him manage the MI6 crisis in some way, but instead of that we're mostly just told she feels better working behind a desk rather than being outside.

As for the romantic scene with Bond in Macau, it feels a bit... constrained, as if the filmmakers tried to find some sort of heart to the scene but something got in the way. On a surface level, the elements to make it work are seemingly in place, but deep down, I think we just don't get enough of a sense of Moneypenny as a character to really bring that moment --and her relationship with Bond-- to life. I think she's not developed enough for that scene to exist, but is developed too much for that scene to be taken out.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    edited October 2017 Posts: 754
    Delete
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 11,119
    Just watched "Logan Lucky". And I have to say...I liked the film. It was funny, charming, and Soderbergh really got the atmosphere and the poverty of (West-)Virginia right. The little girl, Sadie Logan (kids actress Farrah Mackenzie), in a way was the emotional center. All the guys did this heist to have.....a normal family life. Loved it. Daniel Craig was great too as Joe Bang. But it was also a funny movie. With some pretty ridiculous scenes. I could envision Sherrif J.W. Pepper suddenly walking into the screen. In a weird twist, Seth MacFarlane played exactly such a role.

So having said that, if EON wants to bring back some fun, but also some sincere emotional links to the previous films, director Steven Soderbergh should really be considered for the role. Daniel Craig himself only needs to do a call, and the man is onboard :-).
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

Have a nice day

Lets not get too harsh okay mate you are not that great. What I enjoy about Bond is the character and the story. Thats what keeps me rewatching the films. Hence my favorites are, CR, FRWL, TLD, QOS, and Octopussy. The last two craig outings have lacked a competent plot and that’s why they are disappointing.
    So having said that, if EON wants to bring back some fun, but also some sincere emotional links to the previous films, director Steven Soderbergh should really be considered for the role. Daniel Craig himself only needs to do a call, and the man is onboard :-).
    Soderbergh could make a very interesting Bond film, but I thought I read somewhere that he is done with the studio system. He only makes films which interest him now.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited October 2017 Posts: 2,721
    Agreed on Soderbergh. I'm a big fan of his and in certain regards he's a more flexible filmmaker than someone like Mendes or Villenuive. Traffic, Out of Sight, Erin Brokovich, The Underneath, The Limey, Haywire, Sex Lies and Videotape all feel quite different from each other but all deliver story and character very well. Visually and most importantly pace wise they alter for their story needs. If they had got him around the time of QoS/SF he would have been in a perfect place as a filmmaker - just before his admission of burnout/disillusionment but then he's made a bit of a comeback. I think he knows how to play the studio game, deliver on budget, deal with stars and generally deliver both commercially and critical successes.
  • I want Bond to start smoking again. Like, what's all this nonsense of him not smoking just because it's the 21st century and such? Bond smokes, he is a smoker - despite what Jeffrey Deaver said about this "former smoker" nonsense. It makes me crazy.

Give Bond cigarettes in B25. Or I. Will. Die.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited October 2017 Posts: 2,721
    It will be a trilogy - Live and Let Vape, Moonvaper and The Vaping Daylights.
    With Eva Green returning as her own twin sister - Vaper Lynd.

9741e2bfe713b4d386a7a4f303502e70.jpg