"Infamy, Infamy...they've all got it in for me" The Carry On Appreciation thread

Watching Carry On Cleo right now and it encouraged me to start a separate thread dedicated to this very British treasure.

Which one is your favourite?

Comments

I have every single Carry-On film !!
    Love 'em .

My favourites are Cowboy,Screaming,Loving,Camping,Henry and Abroad.

But i love all of them (Emmanuelle and England less so).
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Oh what a carry on!
  • Carry On Screaming is the best and I'll happily organise a fight in real life with anyone who disagrees.
    Carry On Screaming is the best and I'll happily organise a fight in real life with anyone who disagrees.

I like Carry On Camping the best ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Though it isn't thought of as being among the better Carry On films, personally, i'm partial to Carry On Behind.
    Though it isn't thought of as being among the better Carry On films, personally, i'm partial to Carry On Behind.

Hahaha the archeological dig with Windsor Davies and Elke Sommer ...i am partial to that one too.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2017 Posts: 13,882
    barryt007 wrote: »

Hahaha the archeological dig with Windsor Davies and Elke Sommer ...i am partial to that one too.

If i'm honest, a large part of my fondness for it, is due to Elke Sommer.

"I am looking for scrubbers."

"I am keeping, how you say, dirty caravan."

She is awesome in 'A shot in the Dark' and 'And then there were none'...
    Carry On Up The Khyber for me :

They are ALL damn good in their own way..whats not to like ??!!

Its my country's toilet humour at its best.
    Agent Double 0 Oh

Add in Deadlier Than The Male, Baron Blood and Lisa And The Devil, and you have most of my favourite films that feature Elke Sommer.

Add in Deadlier Than The Male, Baron Blood and Lisa And The Devil, and you have most of my favourite films that feature Elke Sommer.
    #

A little cracker that gal.

• BAIN123 wrote: »
    Carry On Screaming is the best and I'll happily organise a fight in real life with anyone who disagrees.

I like Carry On Camping the best ;)

Well then, as soon as I figure out how to track someone's address through the internet it's on. I'm sure they'll give me the time off work if I explain the situation ;)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Watched them all numerous times over the years Carry on Abroad is probably one of the funniest, the series did well to last as long as it did England and Emmanuelle truly were awful.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 13,882

#

That she was. I also liked The Venetian Affiar, which gave Robert Vaughn a chance to play a different kind of spy to Napolean Solo. They Came To Rob Las Vegas is another one worth looking for, but i'd better stop now, as I might be derailing this thread with my Elke Sommer appreciation.

#

That she was. I also liked The Venetian Affiar, which gave Robert Vaughn a chance to play a different kind of spy to Napolean Solo. They Came To Rob Las Vegas is another one worth looking for, but i'd better stop now, as I might be derailing this thread with my Elke Sommer appreciation.

Definate boyhood crush syndrome....

• edited October 2017 Posts: 19,339

#

DUPE

Absolutely love the "Carry On" movies. I laugh at them just as much today as I did when I first saw them. They are so very my sense of humour! Lol!
    Agree with Gerard. 'Carry On Up the Khyber' is my favourite. Genuinely funny from beginning to end . Marvellous ensemble cast!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The main team seemed to be made up of instantly recognisable comic characters - Sid James's cackling cockney, Kenneth Williams, all flared nostrils and ourtrage, Charles Hawtrey playing..Charles Hawtrey, Jim Dale as the gawky, accident prone leading man etc

And on the other hand true character actors. Joan Simms disappeared into all sorts of different roles, and I would say she is arguably the best comic actress this country has ever produced. Bernard Bresslaw played so many different roles.

For me, my comic hero is Kenneth Connor. He was the bumbling, usually love sick 'little man' in the early b/w films. He would constantly struggle to express his love for some girl or other. Watch his tongue tied attempt to woo a female teacher in the library in Carry On Teacher. Brilliant.

He left the team and missed the 'golden years' of Screaming through to Camping, and as a result he is largely forgotten. He returned later in character roles and was especially hilarious in Up The Jungle and Girls.

His best known role was possibly in Cleo where he played Hengis Pod a cowardly Briton who somehow becomes Caesar's bodyguard.

With 17 appearances from 30 films he was the fifth most prolific Carry on actor.