Martin Campbell - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Too babyface in my opinion. Cavill didn't improve until Man of Steel. And I'm talking about the looks, not the acting.

Good job you added that! I was about to launch into a proper two footed tackle from behind.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Too babyface in my opinion. Cavill didn't improve until Man of Steel. And I'm talking about the looks, not the acting.

Good job you added that! I was about to launch into a proper two footed tackle from behind.
    Today's not the day to fly to the moon.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Campbell likes the traditional Bond look.
    Campbell likes the traditional Bond look.
    So do I. I personally liked Cavill in The Man from UNCLE a lot.

Now... should I expect Red Forman lurking behind me for a strike?
    bondjames wrote: »
    Given they were going for rookie Bond, I thought Cavill looked appropriate in 2006 (more so than Craig). I saw him in The Tudors and he looked just fine. Keep in mind he was supposed to replace Brosnan who didn't look too bad even in DAD.

Same here. I thought he was a tad young looking but not that much given his age.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Am I the only one here that enjoys both of Campbell's Zorro films equally?
  • Apted - Simply the wrong man for the job with a very mediocre CV.

Unless you're familiar with his brilliant life-spanning documentary work with his Up series. Still, no indication of his fit for Bond, but I'm glad they took the chance as he proved one of the best suited directors for Bond, IMO.
    Apted - Simply the wrong man for the job with a very mediocre CV.

Unless you're familiar with his brilliant life-spanning documentary work with his Up series. Still, no indication of his fit for Bond, but I'm glad they took the chance as he proved one of the best suited directors for Bond, IMO.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Up was a seminal TV documentary series but I'm not sure how it qualified someone for a big budget action movie.

I'm a fan of Nick Broomfield but would he be right for Bond?

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

It was 007Up. Still, I liked TWINE very much and Michael Apted (and his wife's writing) were no doubt a large part of that.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 6,844

You're comparing apples and oranges. Up was a seminal TV documentary series but I'm not sure how it qualified someone for a big budget action movie.

I conceded his Up work was not necessarily an indicator of his Apted-tude for Bond. Just saying that the brain behind, as you put it yourself, such a seminal documentary series cannot be said to possess a mediocre CV.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 9,117

I conceded his Up work was not necessarily an indicator of his Apted-tude for Bond. Just saying that the brain behind, as you put it yourself, such a seminal documentary series cannot be said to possess a mediocre CV.

I meant his cinematic output as I thought it was a given that Up was well regarded but I concede that I perhaps should've specified that Up was the exception as at least he did have that on his CV compared to true journeymen such as Glen and Spottiswoode.

Don't get me wrong I don't loathe TWINE like some do but I think he probably wasn't right for Bond. An interesting experiment and I suppose we should encourage them to take such punts on people like Apted and Forster over the Spottiswoodes and Tamahoris of the world.

However one swallow doesn't make a summer. Once Were Warriors was well received and according to Babs was a fabulous film, and the original Edge of Darkness won 6 BAFTAs but I don't think anyone would argue that Tamahori or Campbell haven't had fairly mediocre careers since these auspicious beginnings, with getting a crack at Bond being the highlight, and Apted falls into the same category, although with him you always sensed that he was happy enough doing his little projects and Bond was never on his radar and it wasnt that important to him.
  • However one swallow doesn't make a summer.

I do hope this phrase appears in B25. Perhaps comparing one Bond girl to another named Summer.
    I think swallow would have a double meaning, were that phrase used in a Bond film.
    Nuclear physicist Summer Swallow?

Spitz or Swallows? Now, which is it?
    - Alright, Ms. Swallow, your colleagues have sold you out. I know you're working for Blofeld. Now where is he?
    - Well, James, I think I've run out of options.
    - Indeed you have. I've got you by the throat, Swallow.

SwallowCon
    Mike Myers eat your heart out! =))
    edited December 2017 Posts: 7,969
    Welp, it's official. The Foreigner has made back four times it's 35 million production budget. I guess those that were saying Campbell is too old to direct action ended up proven wrong. EON need him back ASAP once Craig bails.
  • Welp, it's official. The Foreigner has made back four times it's 35 million production budget. I guess those that were saying Campbell is too old to direct action ended up proven wrong. EON need him back ASAP once Craig bails.

I can guarantee it would have made at least £18-20 more (think it's £9.something a ticket but prices seem different every time I go to the cinema) if they bothered releasing it in the UK. Might just try to find it online at this point, which I don't like doing if it's a film I'm excited for but last time I checked there was still no sign of it coming out over here.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 7,969
    Welp, it's official. The Foreigner has made back four times it's 35 million production budget. I guess those that were saying Campbell is too old to direct action ended up proven wrong. EON need him back ASAP once Craig bails.

I can guarantee it would have made at least £18-20 more (think it's £9.something a ticket but prices seem different every time I go to the cinema) if they bothered releasing it in the UK. Might just try to find it online at this point, which I don't like doing if it's a film I'm excited for but last time I checked there was still no sign of it coming out over here.

It's on Netflix at the moment. And I think they didn't have a UK release because it has some dramatic scenes in London which might be considered in poor taste given the recent attacks.

Still, 140 million is no chump change given that the too main stars are on the dregs of their time as action stars. Campbell clearly still has it, and EON need to fill their boots while he's still going.
    I liked The Foreigner.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It's very unlikely I'm afraid. I think they're on a different path these days, although talk of Demange and Mackenzie prior to Craig announcing his return (they seem to have dropped off the radar recently) provides a glimmer of hope that they may go back to nuts and bolts style films after his tenure has concluded.
    Martin is having financial troubles.

http://variety.com/2018/dirt/real-estalker/martin-campbell-reduces-price-pacific-palisades-mansion-1202789183/

If Bond 25 as we know it feel through and they needed a safe pair of hands to deliver a quick reboot back to formula it could be just the ticket to kick-start his comeback. Forgiener was a strong effort but something tells me this man has unfinished business with Bond. He will be cheap and reliable which are both qualities they will need if Bond 25 with Craig doesn't happen.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 11,425
    If Campbell produced something of the quality of CR I'd be happy but GE is one of my least favourite in the entire series.

I am surprised that EON didn't get him back after GE or CR. What were his reasons for not wanting to do more Bonds? Having some directorial consistency during the Brosnan and Craig eras would have really helped.
    Matt_Helm wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Campbell ' s career is almost like a Shakespearean or Greek tragedy; post his first run in with Bond.
    Well let's not overdo it. For a guy with such a mediocre creative talent he's come actually quite far.

Exactly. In all honest, I don't really understand the love for Martin Campbell out here. It is mostly based on his two Bond films, of which CR is by far the superior film. Let's not forget that Campbell had a great novel to hack him up. It becomes a bit different if one has to write an original screenplay from scratch. Outside Bond however, Campbell's films to me are quite mediocre. Now he did "The Foreigner", but I read some reviews and it only solidifies my viewpoint on the man.

GE is massively and inexplicably overrated. Zorro is a better film IMO
    The Foreigner blew me away for the budget it was made with. Campbell is the Bond director of the modern era, and that film proved he still has it.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 613
    Getafix wrote: »
    I am surprised that EON didn't get him back after GE or CR. What were his reasons for not wanting to do more Bonds? Having some directorial consistency during the Brosnan and Craig eras would have really helped.

I've heard it through the grapevine that Campbell wanted to do QOS but was not asked back, primarily because Craig did not like working with him.
    The Foreigner blew me away for the budget it was made with. Campbell is the Bond director of the modern era, and that film proved he still has it.

I concur. The movie did surprise me. It was nice to see it in the theatre too.
    Campbell turned down TND & QOS.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    He didn't turn down QoS. He just wasn't offered.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    He didn't turn down QoS. He just wasn't offered.

WTF???