What can Tom give us...?

edited February 2012 in Music Posts: 278
Thomas Newman has been given the honour of writing the score for SkyFall as we all know, but what do you want him to give us that we haven't had before!?
1.The style
2.The scale (Size of the sound!!)
3.Orchestration!!
4.Using a large Symphony Orchestra (LSO??)
5.Swinging strings, dangerous brass, hard guitar!!?

What oh what do you want to hear!??

Comments

• WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    all I want is an orchestra..no techno...and a awesome guitar version on the bond theme.
    I honestly thought this would be all Tom Ford discussion.\

( Though I'm glad its not ;) )

I think his strong points wont be the action, but the drama scenes. I think he'll highlight the emotions and mood better than the action. Which isn't a bad thing.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 278
    I really believe that Thomas Newman will surprise us all with some very strong action music!!?
    Full of muscle and energy that will pump along with our hero, and of course flirt with the Bond theme here and there which is always a good card to play when needed, more so than David Arnold has done in DC's films so far!?
    I also hope that Thomas Newman has a input into the theme song, which will enable him to use parts of it in the score either emotional or in the action!!!!?
    What I hope for the most is a score full of body and the sound of a large symphony orchestra kicking and punching our man along whatever path this "SkyFall" will take 007 and us...!!! ;)
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Well, we already know there will be brass http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2679/the-theme-tune-in-the-works#Item_8
    I personally think brass is one of the most powerful elements in a Bond soundtrack, but a good string section, a fine orchestration with a powerful orchestra behind it won't hurt.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    and a awesome guitar version on the bond theme.

No thanks.... would be horrible.

Not a fan of the original Dr. No Bond theme?

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2012 Posts: 15,686
    Agent005 wrote:

Not a fan of the original Dr. No Bond theme?

Each Bond should have it's own signature Bond theme. Connery had the guitar, Lazenby the synths, Moore and strings and Dalton the strings+techno beat.

I am tired of the same tired guitar Bond theme, that was awesome in 1962, but is not totally outdated and unoriginal.

I hope Newman can finally give the Bond theme the knack it has been missing since Eric Serra's original drum Bond theme. Since Arnold arrived, the Bond theme has been ridiculized, insulted and destroyed. Craig and Brosnan do not have a signature Bond theme, so I very much hope Newman will find another instrument other than the guitar to give us an epic Bond theme.

The Bond theme during the CR end credits is ear-bleedingly awful, and shows the patheticness of Arnold's versality. Quite frankly I wished the end credits of that film did not feature any music instead of this abomination called music.
  • tqbtqb
    I want to hear something like Bond with Bongos.
    the knack it has been missing since Eric Serra's original drum Bond theme.

Are you referring to the theme that plays in the PTS as Bond moves through the base? It sounds like timpani's to me. If so, that was an awesome touch, and I would gladly welcome an original take like that.

• X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    if they make an epic Bond theme like the most classic one - which i doubt it would be possible - for Skyfall.. i think that it would be nice.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon

That's fine, thats what I want.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Let's hear more brass!
  • Here's something to throw out there. I think he could give us an instrumental Bond Song for the opening credits. Haven't had one since OHMSS and Newman has the know-how to get it done extremely well. Just a thought to throw out there. ;;)
    I'd rather settle for an instrumental than risk having some awful horrid music theme artists like we've seen recently.

An instrumental could be quite fitting for the 50th anniversary and all, but you have to think they simply won't go down that avenue for a 2012 release. We have to be realistic
    Here's something to throw out there. I think he could give us an instrumental Bond Song for the opening credits. Haven't had one since OHMSS and Newman has the know-how to get it done extremely well. Just a thought to throw out there. ;;)

Newman has been on board apparently since June of last year. Since Adele hinted on that talk show she was doing a theme in November, I bet Newman had already composed a song with her and she was planning to record it.

• JBFan626 wrote:
    Here's something to throw out there. I think he could give us an instrumental Bond Song for the opening credits. Haven't had one since OHMSS and Newman has the know-how to get it done extremely well. Just a thought to throw out there. ;;)

Newman has been on board apparently since June of last year. Since Adele hinted on that talk show she was doing a theme in November, I bet Newman had already composed a song with her and she was planning to record it.

Let's just hope that didn't end up coming to fruition then. ;)
    The only movie I heard of his is Wall-e. If that is anything to go by he can use LSO to the best of their advantage.
    ....Now!!!

How will Thomas approach all this.....?? What do we want from our SkyFall score!? :-B
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    In terms of action music Newman usually resorts to strings and electronica a la John Powell. But his real strength lies in his drama and his low key thriller type music.

For an idea of what I'm talking about, you should all listen to "One More Parcel" from his score to The Debt. I have a feeling this is the approach he'll take to the score. Maybe a bit more focus on the brass sections and obviously a few statements of the Bond theme worked in.
    Been playing "Wall-e" in the car of late(that dont sound right does it!?), and its a lovely score, orchestral is very strong! I feel Thomas will surprise us all with SkyFall, and make even David Arnold's ears spring up somewhat!? :-B
    I see you have a favorite emoticon, @MrEON :-B ;)
  • Sandy wrote:
    Well, we already know there will be brass http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2679/the-theme-tune-in-the-works#Item_8
    I personally think brass is one of the most powerful elements in a Bond soundtrack, but a good string section, a fine orchestration with a powerful orchestra behind it won't hurt.

Brass and a string section are vital to a Bond soundtrack. That's the Bond sound and most fans don't want that overly tinkered with. That said, it will be interesting to see what sort of spin Newman puts on it.
  • EiragornEiragorn Hessia
    QBranch wrote:
    Let's hear more brass!

Brass it up! Completely!