"Star Trek: Discovery" (CBS All Access/Netflix, 2017)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,102
    Murdock wrote: »
    I visited a dear friend of mine today and to my excitement I learned he has CBS all access so I got to catch up and see episodes 2 and 3.

Episode 2 mirrors my reactions to Episode one. I liked it, It wasn't perfect but it was a solid episode. The special effects are really good and I like the character Saru.

Episode 3 was a big step up. I liked the ideas brought into play. Had some nice little touches that reminded me of Alien and The Thing. Though I did find the USS Discovery crew a bit unlikable out of the gate. Though I'm sure that will change soon. But all in all a very good episode. It's a great time to be a sci fi fan. :-bd.

I felt the same about the crew in episode 3 though as you said a big step up, just finished work going to watch it again
    Discovery is definitely a black ops vessel

Great discussion...

@Murdock these guys are uber Trek fans
    My theory is the Mirror Universe episode will in fact be a visit into the TOS universe

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Jason rocks big time.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Jason rocks big time.

Hope you get chance to watch this soon, I think this could end up being very good. Jason Isaacs was excellent
    The Internet response to STD is mad there is quite a reaction, I miss the days when you would watch a Trek episode isolated and not have to listen to missinformed people who no nothing about Trek or had not watched an episode who talk drivel.
    The Internet response to STD is mad there is quite a reaction, I miss the days when you would watch a Trek episode isolated and not have to listen to missinformed people who no nothing about Trek or had not watched an episode who talk drivel.

Indeed. I guess it's the infamous social media era we live in :-(
    news-072916a.jpg

Is Discovery's registration number too on the nose USS DISCOVERY NCC-1031.

Indeed. I guess it's the infamous social media era we live in :-(

I think I watch too many review shows on Youtube
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 11,119
    The reviews after the 3rd episode are really really positive. It seems that the first two pilot episodes in essence were really some sort of a prologue (Like I said on many occasions...BE PATIENT ;-). Give the series a chance):

"Star Trek: Discovery - "Context Is for Kings" Review":
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/02/star-trek-discovery-context-is-for-kings-review

"Star Trek: Discovery's Third Episode Was A Game Changer":
    http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/star-trek-discovery’s-third-episode-was-a-game-changer

"Did Star Trek: Discovery Just Introduce A Recurring Character On The Autism Spectrum?":
    https://www.themarysue.com/cadet-sylvia-tilly-star-trek-discovery/

"Star Trek: Discovery Episode 3 Review — Context is For Kings":
    http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-trek-discovery/267918/star-trek-discovery-episode-3-review-context-is-for-kings

"Star Trek: Discovery" Review: ‘Context Is for Kings’ Launches the Series Into a Weird, But Fascinating New Universe":
    http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/star-trek-discovery-review-context-is-for-kings-spoilers-1201882642/

"Star Trek: Discovery" Has The Firepower To Blast CBS All Access Through All The Digital Noise":
    https://decider.com/2017/10/02/star-trek-discovery-marc-debevoise-interview/

"Discovery" May Be The "Star Trek" That Gets Humanity Right":
    http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2017/october-web-only/discovery-may-be-star-trek-that-gets-humanity-right.html

I have to say that the acting is superior based on these clips. The slightly autistic Cadet Tilly, the grumpy Lt. Stamets....And again, I have yet to see every episode ;-). I'm going to wait until the binge watch event I have organized.

As you know, after every episode of "Star Trek: Discovery" you can watch the "After Trek" behind the scenes series. Here's a piece from it:

And this is what a likeabout Captain Lorca from what I see in the clips. It's a rather unique...kinda weird captain! Something we haven't seen before. He's not a clone of previous captains. And that's what we need.

Here are also some new pictures from the USS Discovery.....which apparently is a ship full of mysteries:
    EWB4l1H.jpg
    QkwRaZz.jpg
    I stopped watching After Trek on Netflix they tease too much potential spoiler information
    I stopped watching After Trek on Netflix they tease too much potential spoiler information

Ahhh, then that's a good idea ;-). I can't wait to see all 8 episodes at once.

Ahhh, then that's a good idea ;-). I can't wait to see all 8 episodes at once.

After Trek have cast and writers on think I'll watch the shows when the series ends, I have watched the first three episodes of Discovery at least three times each. I would not have the patience to wait for a binge watch, plus I enjoy listening to several podcasts reviewing each episode
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Star Trek: Discovery' will receive nine episodes in 2017 instead of eight, with an additional six comprising the first season arriving in 2018:

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-discovery-season-1/#more-444374
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    'Star Trek: Discovery' will receive nine episodes in 2017 instead of eight, with an additional six comprising the first season arriving in 2018:

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-discovery-season-1/#more-444374

That's good more episodes the better
    More Trek is always a good thing.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I've been looking over screenshots taken from various sources of Episode 3 and I really love the Production design of the U.S.S. Discovery. The Discovery itself is a lovely design. Then again, I liked it since it's reveal but upon closer examination it's got that smooth TOS submarine esque look and fits the era wonderfully as does the interiors of the ship. A nice modernization if you will. I can't wait to see more of the ship interiors. It makes me feel right at home. :)
    I was impressed by the look of Discovery, there were a few beauty passes of the ship in episode three looked great, the concept video that was released several months ago was just that and akin to a rough sketch.
    Did someone see Captain Lorca's Gorn skeleton :-P? My God, this Mr Gabriel is a weird, mysterious captain!
    Yes, I noticed that right off the bat. Great little callback. His desk computer also looked like a proto model of what will eventually become this computer.

desktop_monitor_2260s.jpg
    Discovery episode 4 there are some awesome moments in this episode, the money is on the screen this show is very good indeed. Love the themes I need to buy the score for this series
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 1,661
    Re episode 3: not sure why a Starship would have a dangerous alien monster on board. It would be like a cruise ship having tigers aboard! Captain to crew: - "Nah, don't worry, it will never escape. Trust me." (sarcasm overload)

Best thing about the show is the production design and the cool opening credits. I don't think Discovery will have the broad appeal of the original or Next Generation series. Michael 'worst name for a woman ever' Burnham doesn't come over very appealing or likeable (given the backstory - the mutineer plot). Also, the show seems to be about despair rather than hope. The original Star Trek was about exploring the universe and trying to make things better. Discovery is about war with the Klingons so it's a major shift away from what Gene Roddenberry created.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 16,328
    I agree completely @fanbond123, I've just finished episode 4 and I'm completely speechless from what I've seen. There is just so much wrong that it boggles my mind.
    Almost everyone one of the Discovery crew is still an unlikable jerk. Nobody has any chemistry with anyone. Nobody comes off as having relationships with anyone. Is everyone on the Discovery an introvert? 4 episodes in and we don't really know anyone in the crew outside of Burnham, Saru, Lorca, Tilly and Stamets.

I don't like that the driving force of this show is war. All Lorca goes on about is, He studies war. War this war that. Ugh I'm tired of war. Meanwhile he captures an alien so he can weaponize it. So much for Starfleet being the peaceful and caring organization. Aren't these supposed to be our heroes? They come off as villains to me. Where's the positive outlook on the future? The hope? The growing togetherness of humanity? This doesn't feel like Star Trek to me. This is feels more like the 2004 Battlestar Galactica reboot. It's trying so hard to be something it's not that it's losing pretty much everything that made Star Trek special. There is no comradely between the crew, no humor, no hopeful outlook. So far this is the weakest episode of the series.
    Mirror Universe it's looking more likely
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    @Murdock, 10 years before TOS, maybe the war against the Klingons ultimately brought out the best in people and enabled the bright outlook that was Roddenberry's vision. Maybe that's what this show will be about, to show us how a transformation (from a universe at war) towards peace with the Klingons can form a long-term peaceful society, at least for the people of the federation and most Klingons. I would give the show more time,...
    if everyone behaves like a jerk, then this is most likely intended. Every character then has a chance for individual or collective development to what we know is the federation in 10 year's time.
    My non spoiler review for Episode 5.

I...loved...it!!!! :-bd.

It was catnip for my cerebral cortex. :D
    Okay, I couldn't wait any longer. I read somee negative headers of reviews, but also positive ones. I'm just an impatient prick.

But by jolly, I love these first four episodes of "Star Trek: Discovery". I love the dark grittiness combined was a slight veil of dark humour. Mainly caused by the enigmatic and charismatic Captain Gabriel Lorca. He reminds me a lot of Luther Sloan (William Sadler), the head of the secret intelligence agency from the Federation: Section 31.
    f471f9e6a53f7e3e5a65ade667dfa255bfaa4eb3.jpg

I loved the ambiguity of character, because on one hand he's absolutely right that, in order to save the Federation from this costly Dominion War, you can't be too naive and idealistic. But on the other hand it actually means that you're betraying the short-term ideals of the Federation -peace, unity, prime directive- in order to to save the Federation from long-term extinction.

It is exactly this what I see in Captain Gabriel Lorca. He's obviously the captain of a black/rogue kind of ship, that doesn't care about science for the sake of exploration, but mostly about science for the sake of ending a war with the Klingons. So I can understand Michael Burnham completely: Her ideals, that she embraced on the USS Shenzhou and that she saw in Captain Philippa Georgiou, are being de-constructed completely.

But that does not mean this will be the case forever. I'm very electrified about where these Series are heading towards. The new spore drive is a fascinating strategical advantage the Federation and Starfleet now have. It'll be interesting to see (just like in the "Star Trek: Voyager" season 5 finale episode "Equinox") if Lorca and the Federation will continue using this succesful, yet ethically completely wrong kind of 'weapon' against the Klingons.

If you love the storytelling of one of the more intelligent Trek-series, "Deep Space Nine", combined with the visual aesthetics from the J.J. Abrahms films. The re-imagined Klingons? I....I love them. They look a bit more like the aliens from "Prometheus", the Alien-prequel, thus they appear more gruesome and scary to me. The old Klingons were becoming too much pastiche of a warrior-race that was about to get extinct anyway with such behaviour. The Klingons in "Discovery" to me appear more dangerous, and actually remind me a bit of Islamic State.

Bring on the other episodes!
    What do you think @Murdock?
    I like Lorca, He's definitely the most interesting character on the show so far. He fits into the period. He gives of a bit of a cowboy vibe. Trying to do all he can to end the war. Looking forward to seeing more of him.
    I *still* wish that he had been Bond...
    Been a busy week though squeezed in Discovery episode 5 before work, another good episode I'll rewatch it tomorrow some nice little easter eggs I noticed on first viewing. Good resolution for the
    Tardigrade

I have to admit I find Sonequa Martin-Green very attractive, Sonequa has something about her
    It's interesting at how so many are willing to embrace the ambiguity of Captain Lorca, but refuse to accept the ambiguity of Michael Burnham. There's nothing like sexism within the fandom of Trek.
    DRush76 wrote: »
    It's interesting at how so many are willing to embrace the ambiguity of Captain Lorca, but refuse to accept the ambiguity of Michael Burnham. There's nothing like sexism within the fandom of Trek.

I think, dear @DRush76, old franchises, like Star Trek and James Bond, have very loyal fanbases. But those fanbases sometimes are disproportionally critical as compared to similar genres that are not part of a decade old franchise.

An example, Facebook and Twitter were criticising this image heavily the past few days:
    dsc-105-prev2-2.jpg
    star-trek-reveals-gay-couple-x750.jpg
    People were furious about Dr. Hugh Culber and Lt. Paul Stamets brushing teeth together. I mean, if it was any other show, people wouldn't give a f##k.

I guess the criticism is also bigger, because actually a lot of people are watching the series, both progressive minded people....as well as conservative minded people. That fact is backed up by this article:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/conservative-v-liberal-shows-2017-9