No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited October 2017 Posts: 2,138
    Cristoph Waltz "iv'e worked with a director - i'm afraid you've seen the movie where I was baffled about the ignorance on every level. He's a lovely guy, but he should do something else."

http://entertainment.inquirer.net/246227/christoph-waltz-good-mood-humorous-sparks-fly

Craig and Mendes apparently clashed creatively during Spectre to the point where their relationship disintegrated. Mendes was very quick after Spectre to say no more, and whatever happened on Spectre left a bad taste in Craig's mouth. I wonder if Waltz is referring to Mendes.
    Cristoph Waltz "iv'e worked with a director - i'm afraid you've seen the movie where I was baffled about the ignorance on every level. He's a lovely guy, but he should do something else."

http://entertainment.inquirer.net/246227/christoph-waltz-good-mood-humorous-sparks-fly

Craig and Mendes apparently clashed creatively during Spectre to the point where their relationship disintegrated. Mendes was very quick after Spectre to say no more, and whatever happened on Spectre left a bad taste in Craig's mouth. I wonder if Waltz is referring to Mendes.

Sounds like an apt description, if you ask me.

I think he is. It's also been reported Waltz clashed with Mendes as well.

Waltz could have been a really good Blofeld, but the material wasn't much to work with. The best of his performance was the selected moments from the trailer. If he returns, I sincerely hope the material allows moments of his best acting. Same goes for Craig.
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Mendes,it seems,didnt do SP any favours..no wonder its so messy in places,if all this background hostility was going on.

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 3,126
    Waltz could have been a really good Blofeld, but the material wasn't much to work with. The best of his performance was the selected moments from the trailer. If he returns, I sincerely hope the material allows moments of his best acting. Same goes for Craig.

For me the glaring problem is Blofeld doesn't have a great plan or diabolical scheme which drives him (and the plot) - and therefore gives the actor something to get his teeth into. I do like SP, but this flaw is a big one. Fleming always made sure his villains had strong and ambitious plans which ramped up the drama and excitement - even Blofeld in DAF had his diamond-powered laser pointed at the world.
    007Blofeld wrote: »

Not only that but apparently they want cars that turn into subs (done before of course),spacecraft and interstellar travel,and Monica Belluci to come back...blimey.

Has to be Mendes. Tho this does make me happier that we won’t get Mendes most likely
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 11,119
    Let's do something FUN. Name five potential actresses that could or should be playing the famous S.P.E.C.T.R.E.-villainess Irma Bunt :-). Accompanied by some very suitable pictures that could represent a re-imagined looks of Irma Bunt:

Tilda Swinton (won 1 Oscar):
    tilda-swinton-blackbook-photos-cover-chanel.jpg

Sylvia Hoeks (won 1 Golden Calf):
    ?appId=f215d2ebdcdad4aa3dc78550c5970d02&quality=0.90

Julianne Moore (won 1 Oscar):
    ff1142af9ff471a2fb4225b9bd07d1f5.jpg

Meryl Streep (won 3 Oscars):
    miranda-1.jpg

Cate Blanchett (won 2 Oscars):
    Lady-Tremaine-cinderella-2015-38263789-385-500.jpg

Now I give you all a task. Please rank these 5 actresses in TOP 5 order: Who could be the best Irma.

For me the glaring problem is Blofeld doesn't have a great plan or diabolical scheme which drives him (and the plot) - and therefore gives the actor something to get his teeth into. I do like SP, but this flaw is a big one. Fleming always made sure his villains had strong and ambitious plans which ramped up the drama and excitement - even Blofeld in DAF had his diamond-powered laser pointed at the world.

True. Blofeld should always have a diabolical plan/scheme, as he's a criminal mastermind after all. As for DAF-Blofeld, I think Charles Gray was fine. Could see him as a more serious Blofeld too, hadn't the film been so camp.
    1.Blanchett
    2.Swinton
    3.Shoek
    4.Moore
    5.Streep

True. Blofeld should always have a diabolical plan/scheme, as he's a criminal mastermind after all. As for DAF-Blofeld, I think Charles Gray was fine. Could see him as a more serious Blofeld too, hadn't the film been so camp.

Charles Gray is very creepy and threatening in The Devil Rides Out, so he could most definitely have played Blofeld with a nastier edge, but I still enjoy his performance. Telly remains the best in OHMSS.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 17,241
    barryt007 wrote: »
    1.Blanchett
    2.Swinton
    3.Shoek
    4.Moore
    5.Streep

My list as well. Moore perhaps not a big candidate, as she stars in Kingsman: The Golden Circle? That being said, Blanchett/Swinton should be the only two considered, in my opinion.
    Charles Gray is very creepy and threatening in The Devil Rides Out, so he could most definitely have played Blofeld with a nastier edge, but I still enjoy his performance. Telly remains the best in OHMSS.
    Never seen that one. Will have to check it out. The Savalas-Blofeld was the performance I hoped and expected to see in SP.

You just beat me to it,i was going to say that,he is seriously scary in that film.

barryt007 wrote: »
    1.Blanchett
    2.Swinton
    3.Shoek
    4.Moore
    5.Streep

My list as well. Moore perhaps not a big candidate, as she stars in Kingsman: The Golden Circle? That being said, Blanchett/Swinton should be the only two considered, in my opinion.

Agreed for sure.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    That already says a lot about Mendes’ way of directing. He gave his spin in Skyfall And already said then that he didn’t have anything else to give Bond. They should’ve dropped it there. Spectre was the moment of truth. His possibilities of returning are very close to nil.

Hope the producers find the director the actors know they’re alright with and the script to be in a good shape so the director, whoever he is, measures it up with a vision and has them tailored to the cast’s strengths.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes @ClarkDevlin ; that’s all I want for B25, anything else— Casting, locations, which Fleming novel, stand-alone or sequel— doesn’t matter to me. Strong script, strong visionary. Everything else will fall into place.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Precisely, @peter.

I’m even willing to give Watlz’s Blofeld a second chance if the actor claims he could’ve done a better job. The director has to take that into account.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 4,619

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? There is no way, I repeat, no way Waltz was talking about Mendes. Sure, Spectre's pre-production and production was nowhere near the smoothest ever, but it's simply impossible any actor would describe a director as talented as Mendes with the words "I was baffled about the ignorance on every level". He was probably talking about the director of something completely awful he acted in such as The Three Musketeers or the Green Hornet.
    fjdinardo wrote: »

Has to be Mendes.
    Why? Because you want to believe it? Hint: he wasn't talking about Mendes. He was very likely talking about Paul W.S. Anderson, director of The Three Musketeers.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? There is no way, I repeat, no way Waltz was talking about Mendes. Sure, Spectre's pre-production and production was nowhere near the smoothest ever, but it's simply impossible any actor would describe a director as talented as Mendes with the words "I was baffled about the ignorance on every level". He was probably talking about the director of something completely awful he acted in such as The Three Musketeers or the Green Hornet.

Calm down, mate. Just speculating. But Waltz seems to be discussing a film many people have seen, and that isn't 3 Musketeers or Green Hornet which died without trace. And he and Mendes clashed on SP, so it's a reasonable speculation, but only that.

• SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    But Waltz seems to be discussing a film many people have seen, and that isn't 3 Musketeers or Green Hornet which died without trace. And he and Mendes clashed on SP, so it's a reasonable speculation, but only that.
    I am definitely not in the Mendes-Hate-Camp (love Skyfall) but I also sense he was talking about him. Mendes had a carte blanche for SP and he may have just behaved like this on every aspect. He did not want to do the movie and ultimately did so ... likely for money reasons.

• edited October 2017 Posts: 17,241
    Calm down, mate. Just speculating. But Waltz seems to be discussing a film many people have seen, and that isn't 3 Musketeers or Green Hornet which died without trace. And he and Mendes clashed on SP, so it's a reasonable speculation, but only that.

There's a Green Hornet film – with Waltz?!
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited October 2017 Posts: 1,756
    bondjames wrote: »
    If Temime returns (most likely) I would greatly appreciate it if she stops with the ridiculously constricted suits. Bond is meant to be a well tailored spy with refined sartorial tastes.

I also would prefer that she not attempt to put Craig in clothing to remind us of Connery (SF grey suit, or SP white dinner jacket with red carnation). She has mentioned that she was trying to evoke that look, and I think it's rather silly to continue with this attempt. He doesn't have the same height, frame or poise and so such an approach only results in inferior negative comparisons imho.

Put him in something which a man of his build looks good in - and yes, as has been mentioned by many of us here in the past, the QOS look works best on him. We can see it. Why can't she (or he)?

I think Jany Temime mostly looked at romantic movies from the 1950's and 1940's, like "Casablanca". That was her prime inspiration really. She openly talked about it. Bond's look should reflect Humphrey Bogart, not necessarily Sean Connery. That's what she specifically said in interviews. Madeleine's short cocktail dress (and its motifs/patterns) at Blofeld's lair was even inspired by Igrid Bergman's dress:

The 'desert themed fashion' was especially visible during the scenes in the Sahara/Moroccan desert:

So perhaps we, Bond fans, are too soon thinking that it's 'cheap copy-paste work' from the Connery films. Again, I never heard Jany Temime saying that she wanted to make the film look like a 60's Bond film. On the contrary, both Dutch crew members Hoyte van Hoytema and Jany Temime worked closely together to create that warm desert theme, both in the visuals as well as with the wardrobes.

Lastly, I do think it's all a matter of opinion when we say that Bond looks better in this or that. Personally, I think his suits were already a bit more 'regular fit' than 'slim fit'. That's a recent trend that's coming back again. Slim fit jeans are a bit 'out', whereas regular fit jeans are 'trendsetting' again in 2017.

This idea would be good, in theory. But good god what the f#@k was Temime thinking? Her idea for that costume is utterly stupid. Bond is a spy on a mission, and yet the impression we're given is that Bond is trying way to hard to impress Madeleine on their FIRST dinner date. So are we to believe Bond packed this amount of clothing for his mission? He bought a white tailored suit in Tangier just for Madeleine? Good god what a bloody mess.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 4,619
    @ColonelSun No, it's a completely unreasonable speculation. First of all, he was talking to an entertainment journalist when he said "I’m afraid you’ve seen the movie", of course entertainment journalist has seen The Three Musketeers. Second, of course he would not single out Mendes since he has worked with some truly awful directors in his career, and on movies that turned out to be MUCH worse than Spectre.

@SeanCraig Have you seen The Three Musketeers? Have you ever heard of Paul W.S. Anderson?
    bondjames wrote: »
    If Temime returns (most likely) I would greatly appreciate it if she stops with the ridiculously constricted suits. Bond is meant to be a well tailored spy with refined sartorial tastes.

I also would prefer that she not attempt to put Craig in clothing to remind us of Connery (SF grey suit, or SP white dinner jacket with red carnation). She has mentioned that she was trying to evoke that look, and I think it's rather silly to continue with this attempt. He doesn't have the same height, frame or poise and so such an approach only results in inferior negative comparisons imho.

Put him in something which a man of his build looks good in - and yes, as has been mentioned by many of us here in the past, the QOS look works best on him. We can see it. Why can't she (or he)?

I think Jany Temime mostly looked at romantic movies from the 1950's and 1940's, like "Casablanca". That was her prime inspiration really. She openly talked about it. Bond's look should reflect Humphrey Bogart, not necessarily Sean Connery. That's what she specifically said in interviews. Madeleine's short cocktail dress (and its motifs/patterns) at Blofeld's lair was even inspired by Igrid Bergman's dress:

The 'desert themed fashion' was especially visible during the scenes in the Sahara/Moroccan desert:

So perhaps we, Bond fans, are too soon thinking that it's 'cheap copy-paste work' from the Connery films. Again, I never heard Jany Temime saying that she wanted to make the film look like a 60's Bond film. On the contrary, both Dutch crew members Hoyte van Hoytema and Jany Temime worked closely together to create that warm desert theme, both in the visuals as well as with the wardrobes.

Lastly, I do think it's all a matter of opinion when we say that Bond looks better in this or that. Personally, I think his suits were already a bit more 'regular fit' than 'slim fit'. That's a recent trend that's coming back again. Slim fit jeans are a bit 'out', whereas regular fit jeans are 'trendsetting' again in 2017.

This idea would be good, in theory. But good god what the f#@k was Temime thinking? Her idea for that costume is utterly stupid. Bond is a spy on a mission, and yet the impression we're given is that Bond is trying way to hard to impress Madeleine on their FIRST dinner date. So are we to believe Bond packed this amount of clothing for his mission? He bought a white tailored suit in Tangier just for Madeleine? Good god what a bloody mess.

Liked the suit on the posters, but it felt odd watching Craig wearing it in the film. Didn't think much of it, but, this is probably why.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Agreed @ClarkDevlin ; Walz was quite uninspired in the role. I find it hard to watch him in the role and, as I’ve said many times, I wish White was Blofeld (without any of the childhood relationship nonsense).

However, a new director, a strong vision, and make it count— go out with a bang.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Yes, Waltz is the villain. He is quite good in it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Waltz was far and away one of the most uninspired and tedious elements in SP imho, so if he is in fact referring to Mendes in that article he would be well placed to hold his tongue going forward.

He gives off the stench of an actor who peaked in his two Tarantino films and is fast becoming a has been, at least in my view.
    @ColonelSun No, it's a completely unreasonable speculation. First of all, he was talking to an entertainment journalist when he said "I’m afraid you’ve seen the movie", of course entertainment journalist has seen The Three Musketeers. Second, of course he would not single out Mendes since he has worked with some truly awful directors in his career, and on movies that turned out to be MUCH worse than Spectre.

@SeanCraig Have you seen The Three Musketeers? Have you ever heard of Paul W.S. Anderson?

Oh please cool down, mate, it's just speculation - this is a forum discussing Bond after all. It just sounds like he's talking about a more recent film which a lot of people have seen - and that narrows the field down quite a bit, plus it's known, even from his own comments, Waltz wasn't satisfied with how his performance turned out in SP -- and when an actor states such a thing it generally means not being happy with the filmmaking experience - hence the director - Mendes. So it's perfectly reasonable speculation.

And BTW I know Paul WS Anderson very well, have done for over 20 years, have even stayed at his beautiful home in LA. You might not rate him, but he's very successful in Hollywood and knows how to navigate the very tricky scene out there.

Yes, Waltz is the villain. He is quite good in it.

Never heard of it, haha!