Does E = mc² or mc³? The Science in Bond Films Thread

Comments

• RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    sunsanvil wrote: »
    patb wrote: »
    When I saw Goldeneye for the first time at the cinema, people actually laughed out loud at that stunt.

I distinctly recall the audience cheering at the first screening I attended. It had been a while since the last movie, and people were just itching for something ridiculously, and quintessentially, "Bond".

Ditto. That was before the dark times, before the empire, before... Bond fans became affected.

There was so much pent-up demand for GE that appealing to the laws of physics was really not necessary. Anything was acceptable, we wanted Bond back so much after 6 yrs.

After that, we (fans and the public) came back down to earth and became a little more discerning. EON/MGM took a while to catch on.

I'm (mostly) joking.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,399
    @haserot Thank you :) Can you also explain, from the same movie, how the Q-Boat is able to not only travel quite a long distance on land, but also take some pretty tight turns as well? :D

lol... lord i forgot about that....i'm no expert, but i imagine with the jet propulsion, it would be able to push the boat across land - but it would be impossible to steer... it steers on water because of the rudder (obviously).. i wouldn't work the same on land with those fixed jet engines... if those jets could swivel from side to side, then you might have enough force to actually turn the boat, but it would need a wide turning radius in order to actually turn the thing (almost like a hovercraft) - in reality, Bond would've smashed it into a wall trying to make his first turn... plus, it would a take lot more force to push it than those dinky little flames coming out at the time....... a fun sequence, but impossible given the circumstances.....

my personal favorite though from TWINE, is the helicopter with mounted saw blades chopping down trees..... because that wouldn't f-up the flight of the helicopter causing it to possibly lose control and crash.... but not only that - it's cutting buildings in half, cars in half, docks in half, and hell, why not some industrial strength piping while were at it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Vertical helicopter...just saying. The Brosnan films are way worse than the Moore films when it comes to weird science.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Vertical helicopter...just saying. The Brosnan films are way worse than the Moore films when it comes to weird science.

On that I agree. The helicopter would have definitely crashed imho, as @haserot surmises.

And two films in a row, no less. Nobody complained about it in TND, so why not repeat it?
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    HASEROT wrote: »

my personal favorite though from TWINE, is the helicopter with mounted saw blades chopping down trees..... because that wouldn't f-up the flight of the helicopter causing it to possibly lose control and crash.... but not only that - it's cutting buildings in half, cars in half, docks in half, and hell, why not some industrial strength piping while were at it.

this seems to work ok. Not exactly the same as TWINE, but the same principle.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    @Sark... trimming is one thing, using the saws to cut down whole trees, buildings, solid steel pipes, and cars is something else.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I know, my point was that the technology wasnt completely made up.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I agree with you @Sark. The films take an idea and expand it, I guess in a ploy
    To make it entertaining ? ;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Here's another great case of Bondian science gone wrong:
    abszero.jpg?w=390&h=346

Right... "absolute zero". That's 0 kelvins or -273.15 °C. Not even the most sophisticated laboratory has been able to achieve this temperature. In fact, quantum physics will tell you that said temperature is impossible. It would mean a complete stand-still of literally everything, including the most fundamental of particles. However, the uncertainty principle, one of the great cornerstones of quantum physics (and in fact of our entire universe), allows unpredictable particle activity on "borrowed time", even in the hypothetical case of absolute zero. Activity implies energy, which, in turn, implies heat, which, in turn, implies almost-but-not-quite-absolute-zero conditions.

Furthermore, let's say Scaramanga's engineers (i.e. that one dude + a midget + a sunbathing beauty) use the term "absolute zero" loosely and actually mean close to absolute zero. Then still, there's a fat chance the fluid will reach the quantum gas state, but never mind that. The big thing is that open 'pools' of supercooled fluid are not exactly a feasible way to maintain, as instructed, the extreme conditions required. You might want to use tanks which are well isolated.
    Thanks for sharing, @patb! :-) Great stuff there. ;-)

Can we please talk about fire? I have yet to see a film that's truly honest about fire. Well, maybe The Towering Inferno is. But not the Bond films, no sir. Take QOS for example. Remember Bond and Camille surrounded by flames, chatting a little ("Not like this"), considering to use the gun on themselves? Well, given how this is a particularly aggressive fire (hydrogen tanks and all) and they're indoors, the temperature is several hundreds degrees (centigrade or Fahrenheit doesn't even make a difference, it's that high), which means Bond and Camille would be on fire themselves due to the flash-over effect, every breath of air would burn their lungs or contain enough poisonous gasses for instant death. And we wouldn't be able to see that because under these conditions, the place would be filled with black smoke in no time! And lest we forget: oxygen. The lack thereof. It would still have to be +14% if the fire can be active but much too little for Bond and Camille to survive.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @DarthDimi, is biology accepted in this thread? More importantly: the act of reproduction. How is it that the film where James Bond beds the most women is the very same film where agent 007 is the oldest, at 57 years of age?
    edited July 2015 Posts: 23,449
    :D Good one, @DaltonCraig007!

Yeah, let's hope we can all be so lucky.
    @DarthDimi... well, in the same vein as fire - how about the Bond films' accurate depiction of space lol.
    @haserot

Indeed. ;-)
    Well, the usual I guess.

- Sound in space
    - laser cowboys who are hit are "shot down" so they are pulled towards which centre of gravity?
    - the mysterious camera (in YOLT) filming and editing the events so Bond can watch them in Blofeld's lair.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    - the mysterious camera (in YOLT) filming and editing the events so Bond can watch them in Blofeld's lair.

Must be the same guy who filmed the video of Connery running in the tube station, that Bond and Tanaka watch, and the video of the helicopter dropping the villains' car in the ocean. An unsung hero. ;)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @haserot

Indeed. ;-)
    Well, the usual I guess.

- Sound in space
    - laser cowboys who are hit are "shot down" so they are pulled towards which centre of gravity?

And that space station, which is apparently big enough to rotate and create enough gravity for those inside in doing so? How in hell? especially when you're in the center of it. like, that big hall where they all meet...
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 12,916
    Bond in centrifuge. MOONRAKER.
    Good sequence, thrillingly presented. But in action a centrifuge would force Moore Bond to the side once it gained any kind of speed. To align the force he'd face to center.
    centrifugal_force.png
    Great one, @RichardTheBruce! :)
    I have more issue with the luxury sports cars in DIE ANOTHER DAY: dropped from a cargo plane at altitude, somehow surgically inserted in rice paddies with no visible damage.
    MV5BMTUzNDI5MzM5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzE4MTg2._V1_.jpg
    Since when do Bond films avoid destroying expensive automobiles?
    Not a scratch. Yeah. Those cars should probably have ended as pancakes.
    In SP, Bond questions a Moroccan mouse, IN ENGLISH!
    It was a hotel.
    Assuming the mouse was on vacation probably OO7 was playing it safe by using English.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    patb wrote: »

Pretty sure there's a quote from John Glen somewhere saying that it was perfectly feasible to film the scene for real with the Acrostar (they might even have filmed it) but in reality it took about half a second to go through the hangar and looked rubbish so they went with the visually better (until you know about the Jag with the pole!) version for the audience.
    @DarthDimi, is biology accepted in this thread? More importantly: the act of reproduction. How is it that the film where James Bond beds the most women is the very same film where agent 007 is the oldest, at 57 years of age?

More to the point not one single Bond girl turns him down because its the time of the month and despite never breaking out a johnny he never gets one up the duff or catches a dose of the clap!
    the mysterious camera (in YOLT) filming and editing the events so Bond can watch them in Blofeld's lair.

Must be the same guy who filmed the video of Connery running in the tube station, that Bond and Tanaka watch, and the video of the helicopter dropping the villains' car in the ocean. An unsung hero. ;)

No questions of scientific plausibility with any of these merely financial profligacy.

The tube station is just Tiger's security cameras and the helicopter is just the Japanese secret service showing off to Bond.

But the filming of the Intruder capsule takes the biscuit: not only has Blofeld hollowed out a volcano and built an astronomically expensive base but he can also afford to put a separate satellite flying in synchronised orbit with the Intruder. No wonder he's charging the Chinese so much; although he's never going to see a return as the moment WW3 starts all that money will be worthless.
    sunsanvil wrote: »
    I distinctly recall the audience cheering at the first screening I attended. It had been a while since the last movie, and people were just itching for something ridiculously, and quintessentially, "Bond".

As someone who despises action sequences that play fast and loose with the laws of physics I should loathe this sequence but I can't help adoring it for its sheer Bondness.

In its defence I'm pretty sure there's some making of footage somewhere that shows that the skydiver chasing the plane was done for real its just the crappy rocky background that was faked. And of course the initial bike jump after the plane is stunning.

The late, great Barry Norman's review has always stuck with me which went along the lines of 'The opening sequence, Bond chasing a falling plane without a parachute, is so outrageous you simply have to cheer.'

After 6 bleak years of Bondless misery she the GE PTS absolutely smashed it out of the park with two epic stunts so bollocks to physics.

Anyone saying they don't want EON to pull out all the stops for B25's PTS and give us a triumphant balls to the wall sequence a la GE is a liar.
    Anthropology.

In MOONRAKER, henchman Chang (a common Chinese name) is partial to Japanese samurai influences. Not impossible, but a cultural mismatch to the character. He could have picked a superior attack weapon as well.
    14c3758358f607f2f0cd0bd356d147c3--training-equipment-the-used.jpg
    For DIE ANOTHER DAY, "Zao" is a very un-Korean name for a North Korean agent. Zao (also Zhào, simplified Chinese 赵 or traditional 趙) is much more Chinese in origin, the closest Korean equivalent is Cho (Korean Hangul 조). And where bad actors might use a single name (aka Madonna), Korean naming conventions use a set structure of three syllables, family name first. Therefore: (Colonel) Moon Tan-Sun. (Reverend) Moon Sun-Myung (of the Korean Unification Church, deceased). But different from (Colonel) Sun Liang-tan, more recognizably Chinese. Again, a North Korean agent named Zao is not impossible especially considering the ethnic Koreans long established in China and Russia. But still.
    684190a3ee7ebbb46b33c65e4d96895d--calligraphy-pens-dip-pen.jpg
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I have more issue with the luxury sports cars in DIE ANOTHER DAY: dropped from a cargo plane at altitude, somehow surgically inserted in rice paddies with no visible damage.
    MV5BMTUzNDI5MzM5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzE4MTg2._V1_.jpg
    Since when do Bond films avoid destroying expensive automobiles?

Could it be CGI?!
    CGI or even model work would have been a good idea. Or just basic special effects practical work. Still static, don't need to watch the impact. Maybe a more overheard view to make it realistic.
    But show the destruction on the ground is my point.
    SONIC_SKYDIVE01-240x133.jpg
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I discovered this a while back which is quite interesting:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.554.8666&rep=rep1&type=pdf
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    CGI or even model work would have been a good idea. Or just basic special effects practical work. Still static, don't need to watch the impact. Maybe a more overheard view to make it realistic.
    But show the destruction on the ground is my point.
    SONIC_SKYDIVE01-240x133.jpg

Could the explanation possibly be that maybe they belonged to the producers like Cubby's Rolls in AVTAK?!