ITC Entertainment Series - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• edited October 2017 Posts: 17,241
    Gerard wrote: »
    None on the french iTunes. I just checked.
    Norwegian iTunes doesn't even provide tv series for download. Hopefully that will change sometime in the future.
    @Torgeirtrap, believe me some of those shows are worth having on Blu-Ray. The Baron included.
    I'm sure they are! Right now available space for DVD/Blu-ray boxes is a huge problem. Digital download would have been ideal. But I guess (digital) availability for shows of that age is an issue...
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited April 2018 Posts: 15,423
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, here's some production stills from Danger Man and The Prisoner. :D
    lqk0CVP.jpg
    RYwFxHq.jpg
    Mja3B6K.jpg
    Zj230rX.jpg
    5SgotEO.jpg
    XnDDbp3.jpg
    vSAOiBE.jpg
    Ylrqhw5.jpg
    UYJVdg5.jpg
    XNfI7AQ.jpg
    aGUwkOS.jpg
    x292nFQ.jpg
    0EjLWYE.jpg
    WxpKUdn.jpg
    iRBxyVg.jpg
    rxqvKlx.jpg
    3xWaY5L.jpg
    yIfLsda.jpg
    HpqXrzO.jpg
    tXoxed7.jpg
    pSJArFz.jpg
    ZYGsKkr.jpg
    m022Duo.jpg
    O4sO4WX.jpg
    583panc.jpg
    uckr8zq.jpg
    It's very easy to say that Patrick McGoohan always had that authority presence wherever he walked without having to try. That's why I've always liked the man ever since seeing him in Danger Man, which was my substitute for Bond at the time.
    I've long thought McGoohan's Number 6 and John Drake were the best of the TV secret agents. Hard to believe he was in his late 30s in most of these photos; he looks a little older.

I've recently started rewatching The Prisoner tying into its 50th anniversary, here in the states, anyway. It's as compelling as ever.
    e4IIUco.jpg

When The Baron (Steve Forrest) met The Saint (Roger Moore).

Two of ITC's biggest heroes.
    e4IIUco.jpg

Is that Britt Ekland in the middle or are my eyes playing tricks.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 15,423
    barryt007 wrote: »
    e4IIUco.jpg

Yes, that's Britt alright, along with Muna al-Hussein, the princess of Jordan. Shot taken in July 1966.
    e4IIUco.jpg

Yes, that's Britt alright, along with Muna al-Hussein, the princess of Jordan. Shot taken in July 1966.

Little did Britt or Sir Rog know what they would be up to 8 years later.
    e4IIUco.jpg

That was also the case with David Hedison and Julian Glover.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    e4IIUco.jpg

Amazing how these things come about in such a large film and TV world.
    If a second season of The Persuaders! had happened, I would've liked to have seen a couple of episodes set in the United States, to get to see a bit of Danny Wilde's world, his house, his friends... An inversion of A Death in the Family. I realize Angie... Angie exploited that element to a degree, but more could've been done with it.
    e4IIUco.jpg

Indeed. Then again, almost every ITC Entertainment title was made on a high quality scale production and involving some of the greatest talents worthy of using in films. :D
    e4IIUco.jpg

Indeed. Then again, almost every ITC Entertainment title was made on a high quality scale production and involving some of the greatest talents worthy of using in films. :D

For sure.

We were blessed and spoilt thanks to ITC.
    e4IIUco.jpg

For sure.

We were blessed and spoilt thanks to ITC.
    Hear Hear!
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Last night I went to A Celebration of ITC at Elstree Studios. It was a really nice evening - one of those intimate-feeling affairs where all the guests seem to love sitting onstage telling funny anecdotes.

Lots of Bond connections as well, since British TV and film was a very small world in the 1960s and '70s.

Here are my findings from the event:

- Annette Andre has a lovely voice.

- Ian Ogilvy seems like a total sweetheart.

- Firestorm looks amazing.

- Madeline Smith on being in bed with Roger Moore in LALD: "We were both wearing knickers."

- Stuntman Paul Weston is a cool dude. I bought a signed photo and shook his hand.
    I'm jealous, @Agent_99. :D
    I'm so glad I went! I'm not sure I would have gone on my own, but it was a good opportunity to spend the afternoon in a pub with an internet friend I don't see often, talking Bond and classic telly (this was as nice as the evening itself).
  • The late Peter Wyngarde would have been a welcome addition to the world of 007 - he would have made a fine Count Lippe in TB, for instance, conveying all of the preening vanity of the character from the novel.
    The late Peter Wyngarde would have been a welcome addition to the world of 007 - he would have made a fine Count Lippe in TB, for instance, conveying all of the preening vanity of the character from the novel.

Agreed and good call on Lippe. Wyngarde had one of the great voices and I can just imagine his readings of lines like "Nice to have met you, Mr. Bond.:

Considering how many genre shows he did at the time - about every one from what I've seen - and how many others who did those shows and Bond, it's kind of surprising Wyngarde didn't.
  • Not only has it been argued that John Drake and Number Six are the same character, but also that McGoohan's character in Ice Station Zebra is Drake too, operating under a cover name, and that his actions during the film are the cause of his resignation.

And no discussion of ITC is complete without a mention of that classic stock shot - the white Jaguar saloon plunging over the cliff...
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 17,241
    Currently watching Man in a Suitcase for the first time, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm a little bit reminded of The Baron, although the characters of McGill and John Mannering are totally different.
    @Torgeirtrap, I recently acquired Man in a Suitcase but haven't got round to it yet. You've inspired me to get started!
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 17,241
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    @Torgeirtrap, I recently acquired Man in a Suitcase but haven't got round to it yet. You've inspired me to get started!

Only four episodes in, but it's definitely been good so far!
    Here in the States, Amazon Prime has added Danger Man, The Prisoner, and The Saint (in their entirety) to their streaming service... I've been enjoying the hell out of 'em!

Interestingly, the version of Danger Man streaming at Amazon U.S. is not the American one -- so no "Secret Agent Man" theme song.
    A Celebration of ITC incorporating 50 years of Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)
    A special event. The Studio Suite, Elstree Studios, Borehamwood. Saturday 19th October 2019 at 6.30pm (doors open 5.30pm).

ITC Entertainment was a powerhouse of filmed television drama from the 1950s to the 1980s, producing a succession of hit action-adventure series such as The Saint, Danger Man, The Prisoner, Department S, Man in a Suitcase, The Champions, Return of the Saint and The Persuaders!.

The iconic Elstree Studios, where many of these shows were made, will play host to this very special event to celebrate the fantastic programmes we all remember and love.

The event will include a special celebration of Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) which celebrates its 50th anniversary this year!

I went to last year's event and it was brilliant, plus several of the guests were also Bond alumni. Definitely going along again!
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 17,241
    I'm thinking of maybe getting the complete DVD sets of The Saint. They're quite large however, and I don't have much available shelf space, so does anyone know if there are any Saint collections that are more…compact?

mid-monochromethesaintdvd.jpg
    I'm thinking of maybe getting the complete DVD sets of The Saint. They're quite large however, and I don't have much available shelf space, so does anyone know if there are any Saint collections that are more…compact?

Is the show available for digital downloads in your locale? Nothing saves shelf space more than something that takes up no physical space at all...
    CraterGuns wrote: »

Is the show available for digital downloads in your locale? Nothing saves shelf space more than something that takes up no physical space at all...

Unfortunately not. We don't even have TV shows available through iTunes and similar in Norway…

Edit: there's the Apple TV app of course (and the various subscriptions you can stream through there), but older shows are more or less non-existent.
    Well, that's unfortunate... "Ungodly" even, as Simon Templar might say. Here in the U.S. you can purchase the entire run of The Saint in digital form via Amazon -- or, if you are a "Prime" Amazon member (like me), stream it for free.

At the moment I have only the last 9 episodes left to watch.
    The Saint is a big collection,i don't think you can get any version of it in DVD format that's more compact tbh ,Torg.
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    Well, that's unfortunate... "Ungodly" even, as Simon Templar might say. Here in the U.S. you can purchase the entire run of The Saint in digital form via Amazon -- or, if you are a "Prime" Amazon member (like me), stream it for free.

At the moment I have only the last 9 episodes left to watch.

Forgot to mention we do have Amazon Prime Video, but the amount of content on there is very little compared to other countries, I believe. No ITC Entertainment shows at all the last time I checked.
    The Saint is a big collection,i don't think you can get any version of it in DVD format that's more compact tbh ,Torg.

That's true Barry, but I was hoping that there would be a collection with narrower dvd cases – like the Columbo cigar box one:

s-l1600.jpg

I couldn't find a image showing the dvd cases, but they're much narrower than the Saint ones above.