The X-Files Discussion Thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Of course he was duped in season 10.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 4,622
    Poor Mulder, always duped , yet he always seemed like the smartest guy in the room.
    Who knew?
    There are probably aliens populating this message board too.
    timmer wrote: »
    Poor Mulder, always duped , yet he always seemed like the smartest guy in the room.
    Who knew?

Hmm...I wonder where @IGUANNA went?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    timmer wrote: »
    Who knew?

Hmm...I wonder where @IGUANNA went?

Please don't unleash the forces of hell...
    Glad we're getting more episodes this time around, even if only to increase the odds we'll get some quality material. Darin Morgan is almost a lock for a good one (he's batting 1.000 for the show as far as I'm concerned), but the other nine episodes are up in the air.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns Two mythology episodes only sounds just about right for 10 episodes. It really feels like that stuff is bogging things down at this point, it's become so convoluted over the years and only seems to be hanging around because dropping it would retroactively make the whole show seem ridiculous.

I was disappointed with S10, but I'm a huge fan of the show, and will ultimately take whatever they're willing to give. ;) If they took a cue from Twin Peaks: The Return, however, and focused not on giving us the nostalgic nonsense we think we want, but rather on reinventing the show for a new time, I think it'd go over a lot more smoothly.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Strog wrote: »
    Glad we're getting more episodes this time around, even if only to increase the odds we'll get some quality material. Darin Morgan is almost a lock for a good one (he's batting 1.000 for the show as far as I'm concerned), but the other nine episodes are up in the air.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns Two mythology episodes only sounds just about right for 10 episodes. It really feels like that stuff is bogging things down at this point, it's become so convoluted over the years and only seems to be hanging around because dropping it would retroactively make the whole show seem ridiculous.

I was disappointed with S10, but I'm a huge fan of the show, and will ultimately take whatever they're willing to give. ;) If they took a cue from Twin Peaks: The Return, however, and focused not on giving us the nostalgic nonsense we think we want, but rather on reinventing the show for a new time, I think it'd go over a lot more smoothly.

I found the previous six episodes very mixed, the first one had Mulder go from one extreme to another which I felt jarring, agree some good original material would be good I thought the same they should look at Twin Peaks The return as an example of moving forward rather than treading old ground too much.
    99fbf36a075959e6c7ebb55829b99f97.jpg

Happy 49th Birthday, Gillian!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Started on season 4 in my xfilathon and just watched "Home" which has to be the creepiest episode in the whole series.
    xfiles-home-mulder-scully-640x427.jpg?w=300&h=208&crop=1
    I noticed that on my disc(I have the whole boxset) at least one scene was cut that was aired on tv back then.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Started on season 4 in my xfilathon and just watched "Home" which has to be the creepiest episode in the whole series.
    I noticed that on my disc(I have the whole boxset) at least one scene was cut that was aired on tv back then.

It was my house.
    Great stuff. Season 4-5 was peak.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,020
    Looks better than season 10. I am hopeful.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 684
    @Creasy47 The last shot in that trailer has got to be from Morgan's episode. My bet anyway. ;)

@Creasy47 The last shot in that trailer has got to be from Morgan's episode. My bet anyway. ;)

I've never seen a single episode from the series, I just knew there were a good bit of fans on the forums that'd enjoy a new trailer.

I may get around to it one day, I don't know. There are easily dozens of shows I know I'd like to try eventually, but not enough time.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Cool can't wait looks good
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I've never seen a single episode from the series, I just knew there were a good bit of fans on the forums that'd enjoy a new trailer.

I may get around to it one day, I don't know. There are easily dozens of shows I know I'd like to try eventually, but not enough time.
    Ah, well in that case thanks for thinking of us. ;)

Won't blame you if you never get around to it. At 200+ episodes X Files is a big commitment.

Ah, well in that case thanks for thinking of us. ;)

Won't blame you if you never get around to it. At 200+ episodes X Files is a big commitment.

Is it consistently worth it; would you recommend it? I'll likely give it a go one day, provided it's not one of those shows that starts strong and falters a couple of seasons in.
    I started watching it, got tired by the second season and had to stop. I don't binge-watch but I was watching at least three episodes a week, so I just got tired. I'll pick it up again; the new trailer has reignited my energy. I remember the show really came together for me in that S1 mythology episode when they follow the truck. Great stuff.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 684
    @Creasy47 I would say (and others should chime in as well) that it is consistently worth it up through the entirety of the fifth season. After that there are some interesting-to-great episodes (Drive, X-Cops) but it gets far less interesting episode-to-episode.

On the strength of those seasons alone I'd recommend it. I also think if you did watch five seasons' worth, you would want to finish the rest (and at that point I'd also recommend doing so).

I wouldn't argue with anyone who claimed it was the best show of the 90s. When it was firing on all cylinders, it was a masterful example of horror, sci-fi, and political thriller, many times all rolled into one.

If you do decide to try it out, I'd caution that in later seasons it becomes increasingly apparent that the writers had no game plan for the longterm. The mythology therefore develops such that it may prove confusing and/or unsatisfactory. This isn't as bad as it sounds, since the show was not strictly serial. There were two types of episodes, mythology and 'monster of the week' (of which there are more on the whole). These 'monster of the week' tales are, as a result, personally more of interest to me, but again, for those early seasons, both types of episodes were really great. And the heart of the show — Mulder and Scully — never falters.

As a litmus test, you could consider skipping around through a few 'monster of the week' episodes to get a feel for the show. As these episodes feature no ongoing storylines, you ought to be able to just jump in anywhere. I'm sure the fans here would be more than happy to provide recommendations in that regard.

Oh look, I seem to be leaking them already:

"Home" (S04E2 - probably the show's most infamous episode)
    "Squeeze" (S01E03)
    "Die Hand Die Verletzt" (S02E14)
    "War of the Coprophages" (S03E12)

One from each of the first four seasons.

Or watch the pilot and simply get going. ;)

Man, I've gone and made myself want to rewatch. October's the perfect time for it.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,104
    I watched X Files when it was originally aired when the choice of shows to watch was much less, first six seasons or so I was glued to, after Murder left my interest wained though the films got me back into the series I bought them both. Happy that the new season will be 10 episodes, the previous season was way too short though I guess they were gaging interest.

This really is a personal TV favourite of mine, trailers looks interesting, and I really am looking forward to seeing this new season!
    Just recently saw season 10. I understand a lot of people weren´t too overwhelmed. I very much enjoyed Scully and Mulder getting older, I thought their performances alone were worth watching. Looking forward to season 11!

So love this show, can't wait to see where we end up next? Bring it on!
    Special agent Dana Scully, a Disney princess.
    Never , in my youth, would have I thought I could get to say that.
    I see that the guy who played Cancer Man as young in the early seasons now is back in another part.