James Bond 50th Anniversary Gala!!

edited March 2012 in Music Posts: 278
....Not sure if this has been talked about or noted, so.....

Bond Music Concert to be held at the Royal Festival Hall on London's South Bank!!
Date..Friday 23rd of November 2012!!!
Carl Davies conducting The Philharmonia Orchestra, with Mary Carewe & Lance Ellington singing!!!
Music includes all 23 theme songs and a few other bits too!!!?

Went to a similar Concert in 2010 at the Royal Albert Hall, again with Carl Davies Conducting The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra that time and it was good fun!! At first a bit cheesy but after the 2nd or 3rd song I was getting into it more and more, not the original Orchestrations but never the less good Bond Music Fun!!! :D

Comments

• edited March 2012 Posts: 940
    Nice find @MrEon. =D>

I've added this to the slowly growing list of Bond fun we're getting in London this year - http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/78280#Comment_78280

slyfox wrote:
    Nice find @MrEon. =D>

I've added this to the slowly growing list of Bond fun we're getting in London this year - http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/78280#Comment_78280

Its been advertised for a few weeks now, I just assumed folks would be aware!!? ;)
    Pity it isn't earlier, like around the time of the film's release in the UK, although it does coincide more with the worldwide release dates.
    This Concert in November at The Royal Festival Hall is not in anyway connected to Eon/Sony, its a concert that's put on every other year or so with Carl Davis at the helm!!

We are to be treated to another Concert at some point later in the year, around the time of SkyFall's release and the Bond celebration's kicks off!?
    That Concert is to do with Eon/Sony/MGM, and will be more of a Bond Celebration event probably to be held at London's Royal Albert Hall!!
    David Arnold has already said on his Twitter page that he is involved in this, so I can only assume that this will be held around October time and involve a lot of Bond favourites and turn into a Music and video montage/ guest speaker type of Concert!!!??
    With most probably David Arnold/Nicholas Dodd at the Helm, along with maybe other Bond Composers of the past...George Martin, Bill Conti?...and present Composer in residence Thomas Newman!?
    So... We have so much to look forward tooooo... Start saving now, its not going to be cheap!? :D $-)
    Oh, I see. Thanks for the info.
    Has anyone seen or heard any information on the official James Bond 50th Anniversary Concert/Gala yet? We're now in July and I would have thought some info would have been released by now.

I cannot believe that for the 50th Anniversary of Dr No, EON has yet release any tidbits for us Bond Fans.

I was fortunate enough to go to "The Story of James Bond: A Tribute to Ian Fleming charity gala" held at the London Palladium back in 2008 and also the John Barry Memorial concert at the RAH earlier last year - both were great tributes!

Something like this would be fantastic!!!
  • Just to update, I sent a message to David Arnold the other day on Twitter asking whether there was going to be an official concert/gala. His reply was "sadly not despite my best efforts".

I think this was a big opportunity missed by Eon. The likes of Tom Jones and Shirley Bassey aren't getting any younger. It appears the 50th anniversary is going to be bit of a damp squib in the UK. I was expecting so much more this year, apart from the 2 decent exhibitions not a lot else really.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Thanks for checking @iansutts. Yes, a real shame. Even David Arnold seems annoyed.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Thanks for checking @iansutts. Yes, a real shame. Even David Arnold seems annoyed.

Or at least disappointed. And I for one, concur. :-<
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    How utterly predictable.

Even with David putting all the effort it was still too much trouble for Babs and MGW to throw us a bone.

Thanks anyway Mr Arnold.
    Samuel001 wrote:

I don't it's because they didn't want him to, but that he's too busy. I doubt they'd drop him like that, considering Newman likely wont return after Skyfall.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

I don't it's because they didn't want him to, but that he's too busy. I doubt they'd drop him like that, considering Newman likely wont return after Skyfall.

With the Olympics over you would have thought they'd have found the time.
  • No worries guys, im really disappointed as I am a big fan of the music/scores from the films. I would have thought that they could have had this planned way before olympics. it's not as if the 50th anniversary has just turned up.

• How utterly predictable.

Yep. Happy 50th everybody :|
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 3,333
    Well, we now know what's happening at the Los Angeles 50th anniversary celebration...

As part of the global 50th anniversary celebration of James Bond, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will present "The Music of Bond: The First 50 Years," on Friday, October 5, at 7:30 p.m. at the Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills. Held 50 years to the day after the U.K. opening of the first Bond film, "Dr. No," the evening pays homage to the memorable title songs and indelible scores that have become as celebrated as the films themselves.

Hosted by music historian and writer Jon Burlingame, the program will feature many of the people who made the music, including composer Bill Conti ("For Your Eyes Only"), songwriter Carole Bayer Sager ("Nobody Does It Better" from "The Spy Who Loved Me"), lyricist Don Black (title songs for "Thunderball," "Diamonds Are Forever," "The Man with the Golden Gun" and "The World Is Not Enough") and guitarist Vic Flick, who laid down the famous guitar lick for the "James Bond Theme." There also will be a special video message from actor Roger Moore.

Over the 22 films released to date as part of the official James Bond series, there have been several constants: suave but deadly leading men, gorgeous and sexy Bond girls, over-the-top villains and incredible music. Bond theme songs, sung by such leading performers as Nancy Sinatra ("You Only Live Twice"), Shirley Bassey ("Goldfinger"), Paul McCartney and Wings ("Live and Let Die"), Carly Simon ("Nobody Does It Better") and Sheena Easton ("For Your Eyes Only"), consistently landed on the pop music charts. Duran Duran's "A View to a Kill" became the first Bond song to hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Those notable elements combined with the remarkable scores by composers including Conti, John Barry, Marvin Hamlisch and David Arnold has resulted in a body of work that continues to play a major role in popular film culture.

Tickets for "The Music of Bond" are $5 for the general public and $3 for Academy members and students with a valid ID, and may be purchased online at www.oscars.org, in person at the Academy box office, or by mail. The Samuel Goldwyn Theater is located at 8949 Wilshire Boulevard in Beverly Hills. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Ticketed seating is unreserved. For more information, call (310) 247-3600 or visit...

http://www.oscars.org/press/pressreleases/2012/20120921.html
    Would it be too much to ask for them to have Skyfall's song be sung live for the first time?
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Why is it in America?!?!

EDITED
    Maybe like the special video message from Roger Moore they'll have a video of the new song at the show, @Samuel001? Though if my suspicions serve me correctly we'll already have heard it before then via the net.

Also looks like different artists will be performing the Bond songs and not any of the original artists at the event. Maybe Carole Bayer Sager will perform the song instead of Carly Simon?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Why is it in America?!?!

EDITED

Er because EON don't give a toss about the rest of us. I thought that the Bond day 'celebrations' had pretty much spelled this out loud and clear already?
  • Why is it in America?!?!

EDITED

Er because EON don't give a toss about the rest of us. I thought that the Bond day 'celebrations' had pretty much spelled this out loud and clear already?

I still had a bit of faith in them. Not sure why though to be honest.
  • I didn't know where else to put these so I'll put them here. I apologize if they have already been posted elsewhere.

edited October 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Thanks for these videos! Nice to see and hear from the Bond faces of old.
  • Hi!
    Anyone has ticket/s for the PHILHARMONIA ORCHESTRA
    James Bond 50th Anniversary Gala on 23th november?

I´m interested , if u have one or more and u can´t go please contact with me.
    [email protected]

Thanks
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    James Bond 50th Anniversary Gala Concert from the Royal Festival Hall, London (7 Parts)