007 references in popular culture

Comments

They sell very well in foreign territories as pared down features, hence the reason why.
  • In the show Chuck there have been a few Bond references. One of the season one episodes has Chuck and the villain chatting about and watching A View to a Kill. The plot then mirrors AVTAK with a scheme involving seismic activity and there's a ticking bomb countdown at the end reminiscent of Goldfinger. I think the numbers spell '007' if I recall correctly.

Then in season three, Vinnie Jones plays a bad guy named Karl Stromberg. (No aquatic predisposition, however.)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    In the show Chuck there have been a few Bond references. One of the season one episodes has Chuck and the villain chatting about and watching A View to a Kill. The plot then mirrors AVTAK with a scheme involving seismic activity and there's a ticking bomb countdown at the end reminiscent of Goldfinger. I think the numbers spell '007' if I recall correctly.

Then in season three, Vinnie Jones plays a bad guy named Karl Stromberg. (No aquatic predisposition, however.)
    Not to mention, Timothy Dalton plays a brainwashed supervillain in it. ;)
  • In the show Chuck there have been a few Bond references. One of the season one episodes has Chuck and the villain chatting about and watching A View to a Kill. The plot then mirrors AVTAK with a scheme involving seismic activity and there's a ticking bomb countdown at the end reminiscent of Goldfinger. I think the numbers spell '007' if I recall correctly.

Not to mention, Timothy Dalton plays a brainwashed supervillain in it. ;)

Haven't gotten there yet, but I look forward to it!
    I'm ready to be killed again. As I said, my last wish is to be buried with an FC Barcelona kit.

full.jpeg

Comic cover and limited edition poster by American comic book artist and pop culture enthusiast Andy Price. Featuring those famous Agfacolor horsies.
    Noticed in Burn Notice Season 5, Episode 04 where a sequence takes place in Monte Carlo, as Michael Westen (Jeffrey Donovan) makes his dramatic entrance to the scene dressed in tuxedo, a reminiscent of the GoldenEye Trailer music plays. A reminiscent. Same beats, similar tunes, different note structure. Gave me the goosebumps.

Yes, Burn Notice is a spy show. I think way back in this thread, I itemized some Bond references from this show.
    I'm ready to be killed again. As I said, my last wish is to be buried with an FC Barcelona kit.

full.jpeg

Comic cover and limited edition poster by American comic book artist and pop culture enthusiast Andy Price. Featuring those famous Agfacolor horsies.

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    The Netflix series GLOW has a funny exchange about Bond.
    echo wrote: »
    The Netflix series GLOW has a funny exchange about Bond.

I know it's a bit of a chore, but at your leisure, do you mind transcribing it?
    Again,at your leisure.
    Sure! It's set in the mid-'80s.

American guy: "I like George Lazenby. At least he's the right age."
    British woman: "What are you saying? Roger Moore is by far the best Bond."
    American guy: "Nobody thinks that."
    British woman: "Well, I do. You haven't even seen A View to A Kill."
    American guy: "Well I saw Moonraker and there was a pigeon that did a double-take."
    British woman (laughs): "That was really brilliant."
    There are at least two references in Agents of Mayhem and both are mission names; Coldfinger and Skyfall.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Couple of bars of the Bond theme sneaked into the sea shanty medley at the Last Night of the Proms just now. (Can't stand LNotP but I'm at my mum's and have no choice.)
    A blast from the past :

f35b5589bf6395ea062fdbb7b3743254--comic-covers-book-covers.jpg

Complete with an Aston Martin Vanquish.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Really? When is this from?
    1988/89 or so.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    A chance Purvis and Wade read this, then?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Nolan probably did. His Wayne has Bond written all over him, but he drove a Lambo.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    bondjames wrote: »
    Nolan probably did. His Wayne has Bond written all over him, but he drove a Lambo.

@bondjames, Nolan's Batman has heavy parallels to what Denny O'Neil did with the character, making him a very international character in plots that had him going to many locations out of his home city, with lots of high action and intrigue. There's even a prequel comic Denny did with shaman touches that is very similar to the existential search for purpose Nolan buts Bruce on in his first film as he heads to Tibet.

I don't know if you're a big comics reader, but if you like areas in which Bond and Batman intersect, those comics would be the ones to check out, with art by Neil Adams.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »

@bondjames, Nolan's Batman has heavy parallels to what Denny O'Neil did with the character, making him a very international character in plots that had him going to many locations out of his home city, with lots of high action and intrigue. There's even a prequel comic Denny did with shaman touches that is very similar to the existential search for purpose Nolan buts Bruce on in his first film as he heads to Tibet.

I don't know if you're a big comics reader, but if you like areas in which Bond and Batman intersect, those comics would be the ones to check out, with art by Neil Adams.
    I used to read them when younger @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 , but didn't pay any attention to who was writing or drawing them. So I may have read some of the O'Neil comics but can't remember. I don't recall reading anything where Wayne was outside of Gotham though, so maybe not. There is a store near me which sells some older ones and has a large Batman collection, so I'll see what he has when I'm in there next. It will bring back memories to actually go through a comic again.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Watched an episode of Rick & Morty last night in which Morty's parents are arguing in the back of Rick's spaceship and Rick's finger hovers over the PASSENGER PURGE button. Looked to me like a nod to Bond considering ejecting M in Skyfall. (Season 2 ep 7 if anyone's desperately interested.)
    Gerard wrote: »
    A blast from the past :

f35b5589bf6395ea062fdbb7b3743254--comic-covers-book-covers.jpg

Complete with an Aston Martin Vanquish.

I was wrong : it was an Aston Martin Vantage from the 80s. Mistakently labelled as a "Limousine" (complete with nautilus machine, to boot). If that was true, that was the shortest limo I've ever seen.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    @Gerard The one from The Living Daylights perhaps?
    Yup, that model. I checked the other day while storing my comics.
    While Olga Kurylenko has joined the cast for Johnny English 3, it appears Johnny English himself has gone back behind the wheels of an Aston Martin after replacing it with a Rolls Royce Phantom in the second film. This time, it appears to be the classic '69 model DBS famously driven by George Lazenby, and Roger Moore in a non-Bond screen experience, The Persuaders!.

44DE933400000578-4934824-image-a-103_1506715432771.jpg

44DE97D000000578-4934824-image-a-110_1506715484745.jpg

Read more here:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4934824/Olga-Kurylenko-Rowan-Atkinson-relax-film-set.html
    While Olga Kurylenko has joined the cast for Johnny English 3, it appears Johnny English himself has gone back behind the wheels of an Aston Martin after replacing it with a Rolls Royce Phantom in the second film. This time, it appears to be the classic '69 model DBS famously driven by George Lazenby, and Roger Moore in a non-Bond screen experience, The Persuaders!.

44DE933400000578-4934824-image-a-103_1506715432771.jpg

44DE97D000000578-4934824-image-a-110_1506715484745.jpg

Read more here:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4934824/Olga-Kurylenko-Rowan-Atkinson-relax-film-set.html

Cool! I really like this character from Rowan Atkinson. He makes me laugh so much, and I certainly have no objections in seeing Olga on the big screen again.
    I find Rowan Atkinson desperately unfunny.
    Check out the above link! The Olga pics are stunning.
    This movie looks like a good one!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    echo wrote: »
    I find Rowan Atkinson desperately unfunny.

Exactly my feeling for years. I'm still avoiding Mr. Bean and think that Atkinson's character is the worst thing about NSNA (Disclosure: I like NSNA better than at least one-third of the official series. But not Nigel Small-Fawcett.). Still I must admit that I appreciated the Johnny English films more than expected, and overall more than Austin Powers.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 15,423
    In the latest issue of Batman: White Knight, Bruce Wayne is given Dalton's Aston Martin V8 Vantage. Just look at the license plate!

mvJOD1O.jpg