The Orville (Fox TV, 2017- Present)

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Looking forward to hear what he thinks. :)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    When I told him someone from The Family Guy created the show he said that didn't inspire a lot of confidence in him, but he's a big TOS & TNG (& even VOY) fan, so I think he'll 'get' this show... like Scotty said, I'll let ya know. ;)
    Okay, he thought the stupid humour was layed on a little thick, but he appreciated it. He's willing to go for the second ep on my promise that it gets better. Win!
    Alright! That's promising. :-bd
    He wants to to watch the 2nd ep tomorrow! WIN!
    Seth understands ST. He loves it obsessively.
    Orville knocks STD out on all levels.

There's our favourite cuddly entertainment populist again :-). Why don't you start writing for the entertainment section of Breitbart? They would love your....ranting-style critics :-).
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 11,119
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Just watched ep 4. Agree with @Thunderpussy- it's golden. The really great thing about The Orville is that since it's not officially 'Trek', it can re-explore some of the same ideas in its own way. With humour, of course. I'm lovin' it. I'm a dick (a compliment to myself). ;)

Exactly. And that's why "Star Trek" itself will be judged in a way that's much more unfair. Similar to how "Kingsman" compares to "Bond". Kingsman can get away with CGI. But not Bond. "The Orville" can get away with a big penis on a jelly alien, and then continuing with lots of Trek-like 'seriousness'. For "Star Trek" we will never accept that.

Perhaps I am comparing apples with pears here, but it is not really me who starts the comparison. From both series only 2, 3 or 4 episodes have premiered, and yet someone in here has the guts to overwhelmingly exaggerate by penning this grotesque comparison vs. shout-out:
    Orville knocks STD out on all levels!

Sooner or later......"Bond" and "Star Trek" will loose its relevance because of these unnuanced shout-outs. I know....both Bond and Star Trek deserve a more critical approach, because from them we expect way more than "The Orville" and "Kingsman". But sjee, let us give our beloved franchises an honest chance, or at least the benefit of the doubt, before we write off a whole series after two episodes.

Enough said.

Regarding "The Orville"? I saw the 3rd and 4th episodes. I just can't get a smile on my face when I see it. Every bit is so full of inconsistencies. I mean, in episode 4 those aliens have...never thought of exploring that enormous dome? They actually SEE the borders of that dome in the sky. It's so incredibly stupid. But then again, because it's "The Orville" and not "Star Trek" we all don't care.

So far, I think the 3rd episode is the best. Although that one is pretty mediocre when compared to the episode "The Measure Of A Man": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Measure_of_a_Man_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation). Nice to see how "The Orville" tackles transgenders and homosexuality though. Which is pretty good.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 16,328

There's our favourite cuddly entertainment populist again :-). Why don't you start writing for the entertainment section of Breitbart? They would love your....ranting-style critics :-).

Let's not throw around insults okay? Jason's entitled to his opinion much like you're entitled to yours.

The reason some of us prefer The Orville to Discovery is, The Orville gives us new and different adventures every week with optimism and fun. It's got a heart and soul to it. While Discovery giving us another dark and bleak War Story arch which come on. More war? We've had the Dominion War and the Temporal Cold War. Can we have a new Trek series that's focus isn't a dark and gritty war? I'd much rather take exploring new planets of the week over a long drawn out story arc. Not to mention the poor job their doing following continuity.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed @Murdock The Orville like Star Trek was a very optimistic view of man's future.
    Murdock wrote: »

Let's not throw around insults okay? Jason's entitled to his opinion much like you're entitled to yours.

The reason some of us prefer The Orville to Discovery is, The Orville gives us new and different adventures every week with optimism and fun. It's got a heart and soul to it. While Discovery giving us another dark and bleak War Story arch which come on. More war? We've had the Dominion War and the Temporal Cold War. Can we have a new Trek series that's focus isn't a dark and gritty war? I'd much rather take exploring new planets of the week over a long drawn out story arc. Not to mention the poor job their doing following continuity.

If you say that about "Discovery" then you might as well destroy 30% of the entire "Star Trek"-franchise. Then you might as well ignore "Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country" and "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine": Two iterations of Trek that are about war and what war can actually do to better our lives, and that of humanity.

"Star Trek" is not at all about fun and entertainment. Yes it is for a large part, but that's not everything. Off course you have your own opinion and taste here. But what angers me, is that some people in here are bashing a heavy serialized version of "Star Trek", when just 2 episodes have premiered.

Regarding @BondJasonBond006 ? Frankly, I was serious here. He should write for the entertainment section of Breitbart. Just, to be empathic with him: he should feel more happy there. Am I insulting him? No, I am still angry at his pityful contents in his reasoning. You see an insult here, but I 200% disagree with him. That's also freedom of speech. But that also means that I have every right to attack his contents. Not him as a person, but just his contents that sometimes blatantly simplifies more complex things in one sentence. I am angry about that.

It is nice of you that you feel empathic about him. But I urge you @Murdock as well to be a bit more open-minded and wait with your criticism about "Discovery" until this heavily serialized first season is over. Or......you just enjoy "The Orville". Which you are doing.

On to episode 5 of "The Orville". I hope I can enjoy it more than the previous four (not 2, but 4) episodes.
    If you say that about "Discovery" then you might as well destroy 30% of the entire "Star Trek"-franchise. Then you might as well ignore "Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country" and "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine": Two iterations of Trek that are about war and what war can actually do to better our lives, and that of humanity.

"Star Trek" is not at all about fun and entertainment. Yes it is for a large part, but that's not everything. Off course you have your own opinion and taste here. But what angers me, is that some people in here are bashing a heavy serialized version of "Star Trek", when just 2 episodes have premiered.

Regarding @BondJasonBond006 ? Frankly, I was serious here. He should write for the entertainment section of Breitbart. Just, to be empathic with him: he should feel more happy there. Am I insulting him? No, I am still angry at his pityful contents in his reasoning. You see an insult here, but I 200% disagree with him. That's also freedom of speech. But that also means that I have every right to attack his contents. Not him as a person, but just his contents that sometimes blatantly simplifies more complex things in one sentence. I am angry about that.

It is nice of you that you feel empathic about him. But I urge you @Murdock as well to be a bit more open-minded and wait with your criticism about "Discovery" until this heavily serialized first season is over. Or......you just enjoy "The Orville". Which you are doing.

On to episode 5 of "The Orville". I hope I can enjoy it more than the previous four (not 2, but 4) episodes.

But I'm not ignoring what came before. DS9 wasn't all about the Dominion War considering it came towards the latter half of the series. And they weren't at war in Star Trek VI. But that wasn't my point to begin with. Star Trek has been so war focused in the last 20 years that it's at the burnout point. And no it's not all about fun and entertainment but it shouldn't be devoid of it either. We've been hampered with dark and gritty stuff for so long that it's exhausting. And I'm not even bashing serialized Trek. There's nothing wrong with serialization but I'm just tired of all the Trek war stories. I'd like more adventurous exploration.

The insult is, you tell Jason he should write for Breitbart just because he doesn't like Discovery. Get over it. Not everyone is going to like everything you like. That's the beauty about freedom. I'm not denying your freedom of speech. But I made this thread to prevent bickering over DSC and ORV yet here we are.

I was open minded and Discovery wasn't my cup of tea. I'll wait until it comes out on DVD to catch up but I'm happy with the Orville. Not sure what's the problem with that.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 17,687
    Also, the music on the The Orville is awesome.
    My Son liked the second, but was distracted by a small hand-held device too often during the third to get the episode, so he has no real opinion about it.
    The great thing about a string of stand-alones like Orville is that that 'oh s---! What happens NEXT!???' thing is gone. It's a season of closures instead of cliffhangers. I'd almost forgotten how much I'd missed that.
    Agreed. The music is so fantastic. I hope they release a soundtrack for it. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. :D You should install an electronic dampening field to prevent distractions in the living room. ;)

And well said about stand alone stories. I can't get enough. There is just enough continuity to keep you hooked but it doesn't overdo it.
    Music? Wow... Bruce Broughton (Lost in Space) did the theme, Joel McNeely (Dark Angel) and John Debney (SeaQuest DSV) are composing the weekly episode scores.
    Three of my favorite composers working today! :O
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Apparently, several of the Star Trek actors will guest star on The Orville. From the
    many different versions.
    Robert Duncan McNeill who played Tom Paris in Star Trek Voyage directed Episode 2 and Jonathan Frakes is directing the upcoming episode 5. And Brannen Braga directed Episode 3.
    The Trek pedigree of old is all over this show!
    It would be great if Seth MacFarlane could get William Shatner to guest star. :-bd
    Bill is a good sport in this area, I'm thinking he'd do it schedule permitting...
    A Stewart and Shatner reunion would be a dream come true. ;)
    Even small cameos would ROCK!!!
    I'll take all I can get. I'd also love to get my own Orville uniform. Maybe next Halloween will deliver. :D
    I like the the gun design too. Want. orville-640x360.jpg
    Me too. I loved seeing it used in action in episode 4. Beautiful blue pew pew.
    Here's a weird thing- have you noticed that Seth's right eye has a slightly different fold over his outer upper eyelid than his left? They seem to favour his left over his right in many shots. But personally, I love it. Gives him a really unique look and adds to his character IMO.
    I never really noticed, I'll have to keep an eye on that in episode 5. :)
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 11,119
    Murdock wrote: »

But I'm not ignoring what came before. DS9 wasn't all about the Dominion War considering it came towards the latter half of the series. And they weren't at war in Star Trek VI. But that wasn't my point to begin with. Star Trek has been so war focused in the last 20 years that it's at the burnout point. And no it's not all about fun and entertainment but it shouldn't be devoid of it either. We've been hampered with dark and gritty stuff for so long that it's exhausting. And I'm not even bashing serialized Trek. There's nothing wrong with serialization but I'm just tired of all the Trek war stories. I'd like more adventurous exploration.

The insult is, you tell Jason he should write for Breitbart just because he doesn't like Discovery. Get over it. Not everyone is going to like everything you like. That's the beauty about freedom. I'm not denying your freedom of speech. But I made this thread to prevent bickering over DSC and ORV yet here we are.

I was open minded and Discovery wasn't my cup of tea. I'll wait until it comes out on DVD to catch up but I'm happy with the Orville. Not sure what's the problem with that.

You are right about me bickering in here about "Star Trek". I started it. Let's stay on topic. On to episode 5.
    A reminder that episode 5 premiers tonight. ;)
    I just watched ep 5 (directed by FRAKES no less!!!) and again, I love this show. It's not actual Trek, but it IS actual excellence. And is it just me, but was Kelly totally molten in that dress at the party????