Johnny English Strikes Again (2018)

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Next thing we know, Mrs Smythe, Jenny Love-Hewitt will be there, too? ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'll see if she's interested. :D
    Go for it, Major. :D
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I will have to demand a role for myself.
    It would be very plausible. Go for a fellow MI7 agent. Or a Felix Leiter type of a spy to Johnny English's Bond. ;)
  • Didn't realise they were doing a third one. Does Rowan Atkinson have another divorce to pay for or a few nice new cars? I really liked the first one. It was dumb but it was a lot of fun imo. Wasn't as keen on the sequel but it had its moments. I'll definitely watch the third at some point.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Cool I have the first two movies on dvd good fun, I am happy a third is on its way.
    I liked the second film better by far and most certainly funnier than the first. So, I'm happy a third film is on the way.
    For me, both films were just as good. Will be interesting to see the plot in the third one.
    We all know it's going to be pretty crap, but the first film I admit is a bit of a guilty pleasure.

I have been known to fall about laughing at this much to my shame.

BAIN123 wrote: »
    We all know it's going to be pretty crap.
    No, we all don't.
    It's hardly going to be a classic.
    It doesn't need to be Classic. It needs to be entertaining. That's all it matters.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 17,241
    It doesn't need to be Classic. It needs to be entertaining. That's all it matters.

Rowan Atkinson makes me laugh no matter what. If they have a decent plot, and all the usual laughs, I'll be more than happy. Don't need to be a classic.

If all goes well with JE3, maybe Michel Hazanavicius could feel tempted to make another OSS 117-film as well? :)
    Well said, @Torgeirtrap! :D
    Thanks, @ClarkDevlin! :)
    Regarding plot: do we know anything about what the story might be?
    Not yet, we don't. They're really keeping everything under tight wraps. But, as it's coming out in October 2018, a year from now, I think we're bound to get a trailer by March or April, next year.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    edited October 2017 Posts: 3,099
    Just in case I haven't mentioned it yet, I'm a big fan of the series, and the Barclaycard ads, and Rowan Atkinson in general, so I'm greatly looking forward to this.

For me, the slight element of pathos is what makes the films stand out: deep down English knows he's not very competent, but he's damn well going to do his duty no matter how many times he gets slapped in the chops by his failures. I hope they keep that touch of emotion for 3 and don't make it 100% slapstick.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I'm definitely looking forward to Johnny English 3, and I fully expect to see it in theaters shortly after its release.
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Just in case I haven't mentioned it yet, I'm a big fan of the series, and the Barclaycard ads, and Rowan Atkinson in general, so I'm greatly looking forward to this.
    I told people what if Johnny English adopts the alias of Richard Latham, nobody understood the reference. ;)

For what it's worth, I like the films, whether they are considered "classic" or not.
    Not yet, we don't. They're really keeping everything under tight wraps. But, as it's coming out in October 2018, a year from now, I think we're bound to get a trailer by March or April, next year.

Ah, nice! Wasn't aware that the film had gone into production already – just read somewhere that Atkinson had confirmed a third one. Not many names confirmed on imdb either. Will be interesting to see if we get a few surprises as well.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Indeed. They're keeping everything undisclosed. But, they announced that the film began production back in August, earlier this year. I'm assuming they're already halfway into shooting. According to some rumours, Ben Miller is coming back to reprise his role as Bough after briefly appearing in a deleted scene in the previous installment.

I wonder who's going to compose the soundtrack, though. Is it Ilan Eshkeri or Edward Shearmur (who did the first one)? I want them to use the Johnny English theme again as it was absent in Reborn.

We also don't know who the screenwriters are.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 12,837
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    We all know it's going to be pretty crap, but the first film I admit is a bit of a guilty pleasure.

I have been known to fall about laughing at this much to my shame.

I'm in the same boat as you. I don't think either are actually good films (I'm talking by comedy standards as well, not going in expecting high art or anything) but the first is one of my favourite guilty pleasure movies. It's really childish and stupid but it's fun and had a lot of heart. I didn't think the second one recaptured that.
    I personally am really looking forward to JE3! I enjoyed the first 2, so I no doubt will enjoy this one also!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I've just purchased the first two in a dvd combo pack. I've not had the pleasure of viewing either before, so I'm looking forward to it.
    Indeed. They're keeping everything undisclosed. But, they announced that the film began production back in August, earlier this year. I'm assuming they're already halfway into shooting. According to some rumours, Ben Miller is coming back to reprise his role as Bough after briefly appearing in a deleted scene in the previous installment.

I wonder who's going to compose the soundtrack, though. Is it Ilan Eshkeri or Edward Shearmur (who did the first one)? I want them to use the Johnny English theme again as it was absent in Reborn.

We also don't know who the screenwriters are.
    Ben Miller back as Bough would be perfect! One of the highlights of the first one was the scenes with him an Atkinson. Is the deleted scene available anywhere?

As for the soundtrack, Reborn sure misses the Johnny English theme. Any Bond-parody needs a theme.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I've just purchased the first two in a dvd combo pack. I've not had the pleasure of viewing either before, so I'm looking forward to it.

If you have a British sense of humour? I am sure you will like it?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Definitely. Grew up in London and am quite familiar it. I've been meaning to get to these for a while and the announcement of a third one has provided the necessary impetus to finally make the purchase.
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Definitely. Grew up in London and am quite familiar it. I've been meaning to get to these for a while and the announcement of a third one has provided the necessary impetus to finally make the purchase.

Look forward to hearing what you think of them? Enjoy!!!