Reviewing The Bond Soundtracks - You Only Live Twice

edited June 2021 in Music Posts: 4,023

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Very thorough @vzok, I've learned to appreciate the DN score but it's a lot better the way you propose.

I also don't like the many versions of the songs on the album, it gets a bit too repetitive.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Great review.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    DN is my favourite Bond film, but the score itself its that great. Not terrible, but not great.
    Here is another version of Jump Up by Byron Lee

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited September 2017 Posts: 9,020
    That review is fantastic work @vzok !!
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 4,023
    Thanks for your kind comments.

If you enjoy Byron Lee's source music, and can't get enough of Jump Up, then there is another Dr No soundtrack album that features even more Byron.

145719.jpg

It includes River Bank Jump Up

and Sunjet Jump Up

• Great review, can you review all Bond-Soundtracks?
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    Great review, can you review all Bond-Soundtracks?

I could do if there are any others people are interested in talking about.
    I'm interested in your thoughts as well. :-bd
    Great work, @vzok

Ultimately I can't harbor much appreciation for this score; it's just too old-fashioned for my taste, as well as a bit melodramatic and pedestrian. It just doesn't conjure up a really compelling atmosphere, and doesn't musically expand the emotional and narrative scope of the film in a substantial way. Apart from that, parts of it sound out of place in a Bond film, and more suitable for an adventure B-movie, though I must concede it's easy to say that with the benefit of hindsight; back then, Dr. No was the only Bond film, of course, and it does have a less lush feel than later entries.

But if you forgive me, I just imagine John Barry scoring it and coming up with something like this:

Anyway, by my count and based on your analysis, the main recurring, non-diegetic themes of the score are:

- The James Bond Theme, used for tension
    - The "death of Jones" theme, also for tension
    - Underneath the Mango Tree, used for lighter moments and romance
    - The "rising theme", to represent Dr. No and his henchmen

That plus the single use of Three Blind Mice in the assassination attempt scene (well spotted!) Being aware of the recurring motifs does allow one to better appreciate the score, all things considered.

I couldn't help but notice that 1:05 into the tunnel SFX track, you can hear the same droning sound as in Fort Knox in Goldfinger.
    Thanks a lot @mattjoes. You can pick out some bits and pieces that make the score a bit more enjoyable, but it still is very staid and unadventurous.

John Barry's work was really cutting edge, with his knowledge of the pop industry at that time plus a jazz influence giving a vibrant fresh feel.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Absolutely fantastic review @vozok.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 4,023
  • Very interesting to read. The music in the film will always be close to my heart as I loved it when I was a kid, watching the film. In the car alone, driving along the motorway, I can listen to Jump Up over and over again -and I mean literally over and over again! Takes me back to watching the film on VHS in the late 80's.

No biggie but you didn't mention the funny little noises right at the beginning of the film. The radio signal noises

Very interesting to read. The music in the film will always be close to my heart as I loved it when I was a kid, watching the film. In the car alone, driving along the motorway, I can listen to Jump Up over and over again -and I mean literally over and over again! Takes me back to watching the film on VHS in the late 80's.

No biggie but you didn't mention the funny little noises right at the beginning of the film. The radio signal noises

I read they were also stock items of electronic sounds by Daphne Oram, who provided the sounds for Bond's tunnel escape.
  • Yes, I believe that to be correct. Just wandered whether there was anyone else out there that felt any affection for them?
    I quite liked them. Not sure why they were dropped. I'd guess that they wanted the music to be faster and more dramatic.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Most excellent work!!!! Thank you very much for your next in-depth analysis! I am not that deep into the soundtracks but I found many elements that I enjoyed and did not know why before - I now understand what makes the music work well with the picture. Thanks!
    Another wonderful review @vzok.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    Murdock wrote: »
    Another wonderful review @vzok.

+1 Truly great work, keep it up.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Please, keep making these as they're truly great!
    Many thanks.

I looked again at Kronsteen's Plan. I had said that it wasn't possible to get a clean version of this as there was dialogue across the whole track. I loaded up again the rear channels audio into the music editor, and it was completely blank. I thought that it was a bit strange as Dr No has rear channel audio, and so do other tracks here. So I just went ahead and amplified it like crazy, and there is the music hiding away at really low volume. Obviously amplifying heavily gives a lot of background hiss, but here it is anyway.

I want to have a look at Spectre as a soundtrack, but I can't see a way of doing that without doing Skyfall first. My heart is already sinking. So I might pick one of my all time favourites next to boost me ahead of a double Newman challenge. Unless there are any requests?
    Go with what your heart tells you. I'd be happy to hear your thoughts on SF/SP's scores. :D
    [

vzok wrote: »

So all in all I would say that this is a mixed bag. I can see why some would say that this is a miss overall. It isn't exactly average in the sense that every track is middling. There are several good tracks here that are memorable and suit the movie. Others are still good for an action film, but could do with a shot of Bond. I think it misses the mark sometimes, but there are enough good parts to stop it being a disaster. I certainly listened to it a lot when it came out, and didn't mind the prospect of Thomas Newman returning.
    I listened to it numerous times as well when it came out and always with the same response - I can't recall a thing about it. The thought of Newman coming back is a nauseating thought. Bond deserves better.
    Another great review. Very neutral and fair.
    BT3366 wrote: »

So all in all I would say that this is a mixed bag. I can see why some would say that this is a miss overall. It isn't exactly average in the sense that every track is middling. There are several good tracks here that are memorable and suit the movie. Others are still good for an action film, but could do with a shot of Bond. I think it misses the mark sometimes, but there are enough good parts to stop it being a disaster. I certainly listened to it a lot when it came out, and didn't mind the prospect of Thomas Newman returning.
    I listened to it numerous times as well when it came out and always with the same response - I can't recall a thing about it. The thought of Newman coming back is a nauseating thought. Bond deserves better.

I'm guessing that if you can forget Skyfall, then you are able to forget Spectre too. Probably for the best.
    BT3366 wrote: »

I'm guessing that if you can forget Skyfall, then you are able to forget Spectre too. Probably for the best.

Yes, exactly, yes.