'Riding through the glen !'..The Robin Hood discussion thread.

Comments

• edited June 2017 Posts: 170
    delete
    Ludovico wrote: »
    No idea what Costner's version was about but it was certainly not about Robin Hood! Unless Robin Hood was meant to be an unheroic American everyman. At least Russell Crowe has the stature to play a hero. And Cate Blanchett was in it.

Blimey. Crowe's version is atrocious.

At least Costner's is entertaining. It's got bl****y Alan Rickman in it as well, being amazing.
    No. Rickman hams it up as he plays a stupid role in a ridiculous film. Besides the sheriff should not be cooler than Robin Hood. In the BBC series they had a Guy of Gisburn sexier than Robin, in the Costner movie they had a wallpaper hero against a pantomime villain played by a competent actor. At least Crowe has presence.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The legend of Robin Hood the way it has been depicted on film throughout the 20th century, is mostly due to Howard Pyle s 1883 novel Robin Hood and His Merry Men
    Getafix wrote: »
    No idea what Costner's version was about but it was certainly not about Robin Hood! Unless Robin Hood was meant to be an unheroic American everyman. At least Russell Crowe has the stature to play a hero. And Cate Blanchett was in it.

Blimey. Crowe's version is atrocious.

At least Costner's is entertaining. It's got bl****y Alan Rickman in it as well, being amazing.

Rickman it's by far the best thing about that movie. He's hilarious funny in it. The spoon line alone is worth watching the film.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 170
    delete
    When The Saint got his Scandinavian comic strip magazine in the 60s, it had the tagline THE MODERN ROBIN HOOD.
    In France, the publisher Imperia proposed a series called Oliver. It was Robin Hood in all but name. Apparently, it was a translation of a british series. Wonder why they did that change, unless it was to remind people of Green Arrow. Except that I don't know if the DC superhero was really popular, or even known in France at the time.

Couv_169012.jpgCouv_234231.jpgCouv_234215.jpg

The series lasted from the late fifties to the early eighties.
    Thats a complete rip-off of Errol Flynn's Robin.....thats bad.
    Gerard wrote: »
    In France, the publisher Imperia proposed a series called Oliver. It was Robin Hood in all but name. Apparently, it was a translation of a british series. Wonder why they did that change, unless it was to remind people of Green Arrow. Except that I don't know if the DC superhero was really popular, or even known in France at the time.

Couv_169012.jpgCouv_234231.jpgCouv_234215.jpg

The series lasted from the late fifties to the early eighties.

Looks very much like the Pif Gadget version of Robin Hood also very inspired by Errol Flynn.
    Taron Egerton promises 'dark' Robin Hood movie.

Taron Egerton says 'Robin Hood: Origins' will be "grittier and darker" than previous film adaptations of the classic story.

The 27-year-old actor is set to take on the role of the titular heroic outlaw, and has promised that the action adventure feature will be "less Robin Hood-y" than the 2010 movie 'Robin Hood', starring Russell Crowe, and Kevin Costner's 1991 flick 'Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves'.

Speaking to ScreenRant.com, Taron said: "I think it will be less self-reverential than the Robin Hoods that have come before. I think the problem with Robin Hood sometimes is that ... I love the Kevin Costner one and I think there were some great moments in the Russell Crowe one as well, but they're very, very, very 'Robin Hood-y'. Ours is less Robin Hood-y. It's grittier, it's darker, it's a Robin Hood for the 21st Century. If you've seen 'Peaky Blinders', you'll know something of the tone of it as it's the same director."

It's not the first time Taron has spoken about the dark edge of the upcoming feature either, as he previously explained that his movie has an "anti-establishment" feel, and revealed that contrary to earlier editions, his Robin will be an imperfect character.

He said: "This is really kind of dark and gritty and very funny too, but it's a real revisionist version of the story. There's no singing and riding through the glen in this; it's a real war movie.

"Quite an anti-establishment war movie, I would say ... It's dark. And Robin's not perfect in it, either, which is what I like about it. He's not a classic hero, he makes mistakes."

'Robin Hood: Origins' - which also stars Jamie Foxx as Little John, Eve Hewson as Maid Marian, Ben Mendelsohn as the Sheriff of Nottingham, Jamie Dornan as Will Scarlet, and Tim Minchin as Friar Tuck - is scheduled to be released on September 21, 2018.
    I'm skeptical about this one. Dark and gritty? How original! And Robin as imperfect? All well and good but he should at least remain heroic. Something that was criminally lacking with Kevin Costner, as much as his English accent. And that he loves the Costner one to begin with brings on very loud alarm bells to my ears.
    Same here.

I'm not sure about Jamie Foxx as Little John either,sounds like they are tampering with the legend considerably.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Same here.

I'm not sure about Jamie Foxx as Little John either,sounds like they are tampering with the legend considerably.

Oh no not going the PC "because Britain was multicultural then" route again!
    Same here.

Yep..Morgan Freeman and now Jamie Foxx...the character of Little John has been shot to hell twice now !!

Same here.

Yep..Morgan Freeman and now Jamie Foxx...the character of Little John has been shot to hell twice now !!

I loathe Prince of Thieves but at least Freeman was playing an original character and had reasons to be Black (although it's debatable whether there were Black Muslims at the time).
    Islam spread into Africa from the beginning.

They turned Black Africans into slaves though.
  • barryt007 wrote: »
    Taron Egerton promises 'dark' Robin Hood movie.

Taron Egerton says 'Robin Hood: Origins' will be "grittier and darker" than previous film adaptations of the classic story.

The 27-year-old actor is set to take on the role of the titular heroic outlaw, and has promised that the action adventure feature will be "less Robin Hood-y" than the 2010 movie 'Robin Hood', starring Russell Crowe, and Kevin Costner's 1991 flick 'Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves'.

Speaking to ScreenRant.com, Taron said: "I think it will be less self-reverential than the Robin Hoods that have come before. I think the problem with Robin Hood sometimes is that ... I love the Kevin Costner one and I think there were some great moments in the Russell Crowe one as well, but they're very, very, very 'Robin Hood-y'. Ours is less Robin Hood-y. It's grittier, it's darker, it's a Robin Hood for the 21st Century. If you've seen 'Peaky Blinders', you'll know something of the tone of it as it's the same director."

It's not the first time Taron has spoken about the dark edge of the upcoming feature either, as he previously explained that his movie has an "anti-establishment" feel, and revealed that contrary to earlier editions, his Robin will be an imperfect character.

He said: "This is really kind of dark and gritty and very funny too, but it's a real revisionist version of the story. There's no singing and riding through the glen in this; it's a real war movie.

"Quite an anti-establishment war movie, I would say ... It's dark. And Robin's not perfect in it, either, which is what I like about it. He's not a classic hero, he makes mistakes."

'Robin Hood: Origins' - which also stars Jamie Foxx as Little John, Eve Hewson as Maid Marian, Ben Mendelsohn as the Sheriff of Nottingham, Jamie Dornan as Will Scarlet, and Tim Minchin as Friar Tuck - is scheduled to be released on September 21, 2018.

What astonishes me each and every time is that there are people that still are going in these kind of movies, not to mention those that spend the money for the production . Origins? Laughable!
    And Tim Minchin as Friar Tuck, seriously? I like him but 1)he's no actor and 2)he's not fat!
    And Tim Minchin as Friar Tuck, seriously? I like him but 1)he's no actor and 2)he's not fat!

Yep...this is not looking good at all.
    Jamie Dornan as Will Scarlet would work,as long as the 'brother' issues (sound familiar SP fans ?!) that happened in Costner's melodrama doesn't happen.

I'd actually wouldn't mind Robin and Will being related as long as: 1)Will Scarlet is on good terms with Robin Hood and not some snarky treacherous cowardly angsty teen like in POT, 2)Will Scarlet is a singer, 3)Will Scarlet is actually clad in red as his name says!

They turned Black Africans into slaves though.

Yes, the word for black and the word for slave is the same in Arabic.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 19,339
    I'd actually wouldn't mind Robin and Will being related as long as: 1)Will Scarlet is on good terms with Robin Hood and not some snarky treacherous cowardly angsty teen like in POT, 2)Will Scarlet is a singer, 3)Will Scarlet is actually clad in red as his name says!

Can Jamie Dornan sing ?
    Yes ,Will has to be the Bard he is supposed to be.

No idea if he can sing. Maybe Minchin should have played Will instead of Tuck.

But anyway make Will Scarlet Robin's brother, half-brother, stepbrother or cousin for all I care. But make him a bard wearing red!!!
    Make him a rooster.
    No idea if he can sing. Maybe Minchin should have played Will instead of Tuck.

But anyway make Will Scarlet Robin's brother, half-brother, stepbrother or cousin for all I care. But make him a bard wearing red!!!

He has to be nearly an equal to Robin or forget it.
    It just struck me that Jamie Dornan plays the main character in 50 Shades of Beige. This new Robin Hood is doomed.
    He does indeed...he might give Robin one,in the bushes.

Oh good, because it's not like any other movies nowadays are dark and gritty. And of course the appeal of the Robin Hood story is because it's soooooooo dark and gritty. I bet moviegoers all over the world will delightedly shriek "A dark and gritty Robin Hood? How original! I was so sick of seeing Robin Hood films that had anything to do with the legend! Take my money at once!"
    Speaking to ScreenRant.com, Taron said: "I think it will be less self-reverential than the Robin Hoods that have come before...It's grittier, it's darker, it's a Robin Hood for the 21st Century.

And all along I thought Robin Hood was a hero for the medieval centuries...
    "it's a real war movie"

And therefore isn't a Robin Hood movie?
    "He's not a classic hero, he makes mistakes."

Oooooh! Is he an angsty, conflicted antihero dealing with personal trauma. Because that is so uncommon!

And will share the same fate as King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, the previous Hollywood bastardization of a great legend by filmmakers who had utter contempt for it.