Best Send Off into the Sunset

thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
in Bond Movies Posts: 4,904
Hello there,

With all the talk about Bond 25 being Daniel's final film I thought it might be interesting to see who had the best send off film. Not ending, overall film.

Sean had his official send off in DAF. I must admit this is my guilty pleasure film. The film has many great quotes and gags. Sean seems engaged more then in YOLT. John Barry did a wonderful score for the film. Shirley came back with a great theme! To me it has a lot going for it.

Roger had his send off in AVTAK. While not my favourite film of Roger's it has it's moments. The fire truck chase is something different. Walken chews up the scenery as Zorin and McNee is good as Tibbet.

Tim had his send off in LTK. Definitely a very serious film. Davi is compelling as the villain for modern times. We have an interesting take on the typical Bond adventure. I love how Bond uses the loyalty of Sanchez to bring about his doom.

Pierce had his send off in DAD. Completely opposite of LTK this is Bond as outlandish has he's been in some time. Some interesting nods to the previous films. Bond being captured and tortured is fresh as is having such a capable Bond girl in Jinx.

I didn't bring George into this as he only had one film. So Bond forum, whose send off movie was the best? What should the producers learn from and how will they shape Daniel's send off?

Comments

If i'm honest none of them,but if i had to choose ,i would say Dalton in LTK..ignore the winking fish at the end and i'm ok with it.

So Tim for me.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Connery in DAF, looking upwards. Just waiting for the shinning light to raise him
    Upwards to paradise. ;-)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Dalton. Licence to Kill was his best Bond film.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    If i'm honest none of them,but if i had to choose ,i would say Dalton in LTK..ignore the winking fish at the end and i'm ok with it.

And one of top 10 Bond films.

So Tim for me.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Connery or Dalton sounds right.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Interesting that every final few frames involves Bond with the girl in his arms. Wonder if DC will break that trend?

Connery (DAF): Ending is consistent with the humorous camp tone that SC's Bond shifted to midway through his tenure. Fitting ending for Sean with Tiffany leaning into him asking about the diamonds when the question set up almost tried to trick the viewer into thinking she might be asking about marriage. B+

George (OHMSS): N/A - If we were grading on 1 film, F because what a bummer ride into the sunset that must have been.

Rog (AVTAK): Classic Rog ending to a T. Goes full camp with Bond in the shower with Stacy, as snooper/Q watches on. The film itself certainly has it's flaws, but the ending is exactly how you'd expect Rog's Bond to go out. A true end of an era, as we would never see a Bond quite with that same tone, look, and feel. A-

Tim (LTK): Love the reversal of the lines from when they first kissed on the boat. Q shaking his head with two drinks in hand, and Patti Labelle's 'If You Asked Me To'. Dalts had the best endings to his films, and while this is my 2nd favorite, it is near perfect. A

Brosnan (DAD): Bond with Jinx in bed and double entendres galore seem just about perfect for Pierce's Bond, but it seems so rehashed and generic. It's cringey, but funny at the same time, kind of like all the 90s! Love you Pierce, your performance, and films, but this is the weakest IMO. C+

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Yes it is interesting that all end with Bond in the arms or in showers with his ladies.

I do like Tim's send off never really understood the winking fish. But in terms of Bond chasing the girl at the end I think it's unique.

I think I just thought of something else the same isn't Q featured in all the endings? I believe his throwing confetti at the boat in DAF. He's guiding the snooper in AVTAK. In LTK he's having drinks. In DAD he's with Moneypenny as she has the virtual encounter with Bond. I wonder will Q appear in Craig's final scene?

I tend to rank the films in the following order:

DAF
    LTK
    AVTAK
    DAD

thedove wrote: »

I think I just thought of something else the same isn't Q featured in all the endings? I believe his throwing confetti at the boat in DAF. He's guiding the snooper in AVTAK. In LTK he's having drinks. In DAD he's with Moneypenny as she has the virtual encounter with Bond. I wonder will Q appear in Craig's final scene?

And he is at the wedding in OHMSS:
    Nice catch. Wow didn't realize how many times Q appears at the end. If Spectre had been Daniels send off he appeared there too.
    Octopussy should have been Moore's last. A literal send off into the sunset.
    "In...Out...In...Out" LOL!

Yes that would have been a perfect send off. I have often wondered what AVTAK would have been like with Dalton as Bond against Walken's Zorin. I think it would have been a better film.

Still think DAF is the best send off movie overall.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    barryt007 wrote: »

So Tim for me.
    +1. Winking fish water sculpture never bothered me.
    Interesting that every final few frames involves Bond with the girl in his arms. Wonder if DC will break that trend?

Connery (DAF): Ending is consistent with the humorous camp tone that SC's Bond shifted to midway through his tenure. Fitting ending for Sean with Tiffany leaning into him asking about the diamonds when the question set up almost tried to trick the viewer into thinking she might be asking about marriage. B+

George (OHMSS): N/A - If we were grading on 1 film, F because what a bummer ride into the sunset that must have been.

Rog (AVTAK): Classic Rog ending to a T. Goes full camp with Bond in the shower with Stacy, as snooper/Q watches on. The film itself certainly has it's flaws, but the ending is exactly how you'd expect Rog's Bond to go out. A true end of an era, as we would never see a Bond quite with that same tone, look, and feel. A-

Tim (LTK): Love the reversal of the lines from when they first kissed on the boat. Q shaking his head with two drinks in hand, and Patti Labelle's 'If You Asked Me To'. Dalts had the best endings to his films, and while this is my 2nd favorite, it is near perfect. A

Brosnan (DAD): Bond with Jinx in bed and double entendres galore seem just about perfect for Pierce's Bond, but it seems so rehashed and generic. It's cringey, but funny at the same time, kind of like all the 90s! Love you Pierce, your performance, and films, but this is the weakest IMO. C+

Now we know that he did.
    thedove wrote: »
    Yes it is interesting that all end with Bond in the arms or in showers with his ladies.

I do like Tim's send off never really understood the winking fish. But in terms of Bond chasing the girl at the end I think it's unique.

Now we know that he did.
    Shamelessly reviving this thread now that NTTD is in the books. Does it make DC having the best send off film? Or does the death of 007 cause it to fall off the rails?

It was brought up on a recent podcast that only DC and RM left the series on their terms. I don't think we will ever see another Connery, an actor who leaves and then returns after 4 years with another fella in the role. Unless we are going to introduce a multi-verse to the Bond universe! LOL!
    To be fair it's certainly the most unique send off of the series...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I loved NTTD, but my passion for the film aside, when looking at the end of an actor’s era with Bond (and I won’t include George, nor YOLT, nor NSNA), we have:

DAF
    AVTAK
    LTK
    DAD
    NTTD

To me DAF, AVTAK and DAD are bottom of the barrel.

There are solid events and characters in LTK, but the film as a whole isn’t very well executed; sets looked cheap, too many TV actors, poor lighting and photography.

NTTD stands head and tails above these films.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Makes it the best. Yes.
    It's so funny because if you take OHMSS out of the equation we have my bottom two films and one that isn't far above (DAF, AVTAK, DAD) and then my #3 and #1 (LTK, NTTD). Craig easily gets the best sendoff for me. I don't like the end of the three bottom-feeders so LTK would come in second, and I do really love that ending, but I also feel a pang of sadness at it knowing that he'll never be Bond again the moment the camera moves away from him in that pool. It shouldn't have BEEN a sendoff, but it works well enough as one.
    Craig s Bond was the only one to literally have a send off into the sunset.
    It's so funny because if you take OHMSS out of the equation we have my bottom two films and one that isn't far above (DAF, AVTAK, DAD) and then my #3 and #1 (LTK, NTTD). Craig easily gets the best sendoff for me. I don't like the end of the three bottom-feeders so LTK would come in second, and I do really love that ending, but I also feel a pang of sadness at it knowing that he'll never be Bond again the moment the camera moves away from him in that pool. It shouldn't have BEEN a sendoff, but it works well enough as one.

There have been many times when I watch LTK that I feel as you call it "pang of sadness" at that final scene ! We were indeed robbed of that 3rd film with Dalton!