The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Only the final act remained intact with the final outcome.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Question: where is the thread about dreams on Bond? I once had a really weird one that I want to share and it would be the proper place.

https://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1334/a-james-bond-dream-i-had.-a-new-one/p1
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Is this the ad with Rick Sylvester that inspired the TSWLM jump?

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAhyAAAAJGRhZmYyMjczLTM5ODItNDg3Yy1iNGZhLTFmYjY3ZWRjZThiMg.jpg
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited September 2017 Posts: 6,721
    Maybe in the 22nd Century.

That reminds me that one day years ago, in my daydreaming, I gave the following some thought: if Bond goes on forever (or at least, for a considerable amount of time; for example, centuries) at some point, humanity and its level of technological advancement will be so different from today, that any link between the Bond films of today and the Bond films of the future will be only on a conceptual level. The idea, the recipe behind the films, might continue to be the same but the things we see in them will be completely different.

That is, of course, assuming Bond films will continue to be made for a great, great number of years, which I find at the very least questionable, given ever-changing cultural trends.

But I find the possibility fascinating.
  • Evil men, attractive women, drinking, looking good, violence, humor, and doing it all with style will never go out of vogue or disappear altogether from the face of the Earth. Therefore, neither will Bond.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Question: where is the thread about dreams on Bond? I once had a really weird one that I want to share and it would be the proper place.

https://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1334/a-james-bond-dream-i-had.-a-new-one/p1

Thanks!
    In AVTAK Bond tells Tibbet to "get into town call M and put a trace on the cheque" now did he actually do it? He must of cause Bond ended up in Sanfran but its hard to think Tibbet did do it cause wouldn't have May Day stopped him?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Evil men, attractive women, drinking, looking good, violence, humor, and doing it all with style will never go out of vogue or disappear altogether from the face of the Earth. Therefore, neither will Bond.

I'll drink to that.

raw
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Not sure if this question has been raised before, but how does Bond manage to get his weapons across borders with no fuzz? Does he carry a diplomatic passport?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Not sure if this question has been raised before, but how does Bond manage to get his weapons across borders with no fuzz? Does he carry a diplomatic passport?
    I've always questioned that myself. It's got to be the case where he's allowed to travel with a firearm.

However, in the novelization of The Spy Who Loved Me (the film), the entirety of the PPK parts were hidden and/or attached to a mini typewriter, each part masquerading as an actual piece of the platform until Bond disconnected them and assembled the pistol.

I'm guessing the assumption is open ended.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I've always questioned that myself. It's got to be the case where he's allowed to travel with a firearm.

However, in the novelization of The Spy Who Loved Me (the film), the entirety of the PPK parts were hidden and/or attached to a mini typewriter, each part masquerading as an actual piece of the platform until Bond disconnected them and assembled the pistol.

I'm guessing the assumption is open ended.

It has been so many years since I read that, but that was really clever. He would still need ammunition, though.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    In CR M posts a gun to Bond, so I'd say she simply gets them off of Amazon or
    eBay for 007 ;-)
    In CR M posts a gun to Bond, so I'd say she simply gets them off of Amazon or
    eBay for 007 ;-)
    MI6 must've run out of plastic. ;)
    It's all PayPal these days.
    It's all PayPal these days.
    Brave new world.
    tumblr_o9wck0CRs71rno0x6o4_540.gif
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Its amazing what one can do with amazon these days
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    If GE N64 has taught me anything, it's that Bond stores all of his weapons in his watch.
  • If GE N64 has taught me anything, it's that Bond stores all of his weapons in his watch.

Post of the day. You get two enemies breakdancing in midair for that one.

tumblr_mnoqm0Iu3n1rutsz9o6_400.gif
  • ossyjackossyjack Blackburn, UK
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    In AVTAK Bond tells Tibbet to "get into town call M and put a trace on the cheque" now did he actually do it? He must of cause Bond ended up in Sanfran but its hard to think Tibbet did do it cause wouldn't have May Day stopped him?

Good question. Its never really occurred to me before. Thinking it through it does seem odd that Tibbett would first go to the garage to get the car washed before ringing London with the urgent message for M. After all, getting the car washed was just his excuse for leaving the chateau. As a government agent he seems more concerned with washing his car than assisting Bond in contacting London.

Also impossible that May Day could have climbed into his car and hid in the back in the 2-3 seconds she had whilst his back was turned.

I suspect Bond could have ended up in San Francisco purely through tracking Zorin's movements. The CIA know he is 'in town' so could have let London know and in turn Bond followed him out there. He probably didn't need the cheque tracing for that.

I've always wondered why Zorin choses to leave such a trail of evidence behind in his plan for Silicon Valley. His details must be all over the plans at City Hall (which might not have been destroyed by fire) but even if they were the Main Strike mine was left full of explosives and henchmen all wearing his uniform/logo.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    ossyjack wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »

Good question. Its never really occurred to me before. Thinking it through it does seem odd that Tibbett would first go to the garage to get the car washed before ringing London with the urgent message for M. After all, getting the car washed was just his excuse for leaving the chateau. As a government agent he seems more concerned with washing his car than assisting Bond in contacting London.

Also impossible that May Day could have climbed into his car and hid in the back in the 2-3 seconds she had whilst his back was turned.

I suspect Bond could have ended up in San Francisco purely through tracking Zorin's movements. The CIA know he is 'in town' so could have let London know and in turn Bond followed him out there. He probably didn't need the cheque tracing for that.

I've always wondered why Zorin choses to leave such a trail of evidence behind in his plan for Silicon Valley. His details must be all over the plans at City Hall (which might not have been destroyed by fire) but even if they were the Main Strike mine was left full of explosives and henchmen all wearing his uniform/logo.

That is the sort of thing that remains frustrating as you assume the role of MayDay and imagine getting into the car and closing the door quietly while his back is turned.

Similarly, in TLD when Kara has to shrug her coat off, put it (and her hat) onto the cello, get out of the phone booth and in to Bond's car in the time it takes the tram to pass. I always try and work it through in my mind. Too, too close. ;)
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Benny wrote: »
    Obviously it's to move the story forward. But in SP, during the final act. When Bond is bought to the old Mi6 building, rigged for demolition, why is there a perfectly good boat left behind?

Demolition was not planned for the day when Blofeld blew it up. It was still being prepared. I suppose we can assume it belonged to the demolition firm to take explosives in the foundations underneath the building.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    In Moonraker, why does Drax immediately try to murder Bond after he visits his chateau?
    It was in the script. He had to do it. ;-)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Because he's evil and on a tight schedule. ;)
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited September 2017 Posts: 1,165
    Ah, as I suspected. Just to move the story along.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    We accept plot anomalies in Roger Moore Bonds far more readily than in Daniel Craig films.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Hmmm.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 6,844
    NicNac wrote: »
    We accept plot anomalies in Roger Moore Bonds far more readily than in Daniel Craig films.

Because Roger Moore's films are about destroying the Earth with spheres of poisonous gas launched from outer space or nuclear armaggedon and Craig's films are about water shortages and misplaced laptops and they each ask of their audiences unique degrees of disbelief suspension?
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Its not so much about having a massive plot about something unrealistic like Moore, then the Last 2 craig films which have asked us to accept this gritty real life story but then riddle it with inconstancies and plot holes that really piss me off.