No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    I'd rather they would go with a more standalone with some references to past events, but it really wouldn't surprise me if they go the route this rumour suggests.

"It's love. It's personal. It's revenge. It's Bond."
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    And this is why Craig should have stopped at Spectre. But I trust in Babs Yann (?) that whatever film is made, he won't let it be shite.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    jake24 wrote: »
    I'll be at the premiere of Kings on September 13th, I'll let you guys know if Craig says anything on B25 if he ends up doing interviews.

Sounds great.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    How about this scenario:
    Tanner kills Madeline out of jealousy, because he was deeply in love with Bond. Blofeld wants the credit for himself and kills Tanner. Bond forgets about Madeline and goes after Blofeld, because noone kills a fellow MI6 member without inciting Bond´s sense for revenge. M gets furious, because no MI6 agent acts without M´s strict orders without inciting M´s sense for order.

That wouldn't surprise me at all !

• fjdinardo wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    I'll take anything that gives us a true adaptation of YOLT

They're never going to do a completely faithful adaptation. If they do pull on that novel for inspiration they will almost certainly take liberties with its content and how they use it.

Just give me Shatterhand, Japan, and the garden of death and I'll be happy

Could not agree more.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I'm not a fan of maddy, so I'm not really a fan of Bond marrying her... @bondjames is right, I had something like that (but he wasn't mourning maddy's death; just that they had broken up a few years ago, and he's been killing time under the grid by drinking and gambling and enjoying frivolous affairs with married women)....

Yes, not a big fan of what is reported and hope it's just click-bait (after the last film, would EoN so easily allow any story threads to get out to the media?? I do t think so)
    Bond lost M at the end of SF and came back fresh as a daisy for SP ,so the Madeleine link does not need including .
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    How about this scenario:
    Tanner kills Madeline out of jealousy, because he was deeply in love with Bond.
    Blofeld wants the credit for himself and kills Tanner.
    Bond forgets about Madeline and goes after Blofeld, because noone kills a fellow MI6 member without inciting Bond´s sense for revenge.
    M gets furious, because no MI6 agent acts without M´s strict orders without inciting M´s sense for order, so M sends out half of MI6 to hunt down Bond.
    Because half of MI6 is out looking for Bond, M has to hire helps from a subcontractor, which in turn is a door for Blofeld to sneak people of his own into MI6.
    Bond looks for help from Felix Leiter, but President Trump fired Leiter and wants to put him in jail for treason. So Leiter too is on the run. But he´s got a friend left in the CIA, whom he hooks up with Bond: Jinx.
    So we´ll get to see all: Love, death, treason, moles, system paraoia, rogue agents, revenge, and a pre-finale fight between Jinx and Hinx.

I love it.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    What about if as part of Blofeld's trial they play the Vesper tape and it's actually Blofeld who tortures her not White and Maddy is never mentioned? Not sure it's enough to give Bond enough of a revenge motive though given he's already over Vesper but with some work the idea has possibilities and I'm always up for a cameo from Eva.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. You could even have more scenes with Eva if you started the PTS in the past, showing Vesper with the Boyfriend and her entanglement with Quantum/Spectre/Blofeld. Agree, Madeline out of the picture, never shown, and then go off on a mission related to Blofeld with a new girl and no more emotional weight other than Vesper.
  • Is that really necessary though? At the end of QOS, Bond himself says, "I don't think the dead care for vengeance." I like the idea of Bond living off the grid but how far can you take the idea before it goes into SF territory? Having just watched SF, it would've really made sense to wait to tell that story for Craig's last. Ideally I would have Swann leave Bond offscreen like the ending of the MR novel and when we do finally see Bond again, it's because he's been tracked down by Moneypenny or MI6 due to some new developments surrounding the now defunct group SPECTRE.
    Bond and Madeleine getting married is definitely something I don't want. The rest of the film would have to be awfully good and original for me to get past that.
  • I'll accept anything for Bond 25, but please 1) don't kill off Madeline and 2) no more moles/double agents inside MI6.

Totally agree, i want a marriage of Bond and Madeleine at the End of Bond 25, that would be the perfect Ending for the Craig-Bondmovies

How about instead of Bond getting married. He gets engaged and his fiancé Madeline is killed?
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 3,160
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    I sincerely hope they won't go down that road - it's SO non-creative.
    There's no way that Bond 25 will be a risk project. It all makes sense. Blofeld escapes, kills Bond's wife, which triggers another revengetrip.

Still room for plenty of creativity, especially in the action setpieces.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    How about instead of Bond getting married. He gets engaged and his fiancé Madeline is killed?

A little better.
    @Zekidk No, no, no! More like: villain who is NOT Blofeld kills Bond's wife, which triggers another revengetrip.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    This revenge thing seems like a step backward in my view. After all, Bond seemed to be beyond all of this in SP.

While I understand that they may want to go back there in order for Craig to have some acting meat on the bone, I just think it's a bit of a retread based on what he's been through already.
    Pretty much. I think most of us have had enough of the "this time it's personal" themes. I think it worked very well in CR and SF, but with QoS and SP, they had to rely on the films around them to function. I'd like to see another CR or SF kind of film that can stand on its own and also within Craig's continuity.
    How about this scenario:
    Tanner kills Madeline out of jealousy, because he was deeply in love with Bond.
    Blofeld wants the credit for himself and kills Tanner.
    Bond forgets about Madeline and goes after Blofeld, because noone kills a fellow MI6 member without inciting Bond´s sense for revenge.
    M gets furious, because no MI6 agent acts without M´s strict orders without inciting M´s sense for order, so M sends out half of MI6 to hunt down Bond.
    Because half of MI6 is out looking for Bond, M has to hire helps from a subcontractor, which in turn is a door for Blofeld to sneak people of his own into MI6.
    Bond looks for help from Felix Leiter, but President Trump fired Leiter and wants to put him in jail for treason. So Leiter too is on the run. But he´s got a friend left in the CIA, whom he hooks up with Bond: Jinx.
    So we´ll get to see all: Love, death, treason, moles, system paraoia, rogue agents, revenge, and a pre-finale fight between Jinx and Hinx.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read.......... I love it!
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited September 2017 Posts: 1,756
    Honestly with all of this BS going on with North Korea & Co. a YOLT-esque movie would be quite fitting; big villain with a huge lair and all. I mean a certain somebody has a nuclear testing facility inside a volcano mountain.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 3,000
    If this is true, then B25 will be exactly the kind of film that I was afraid of it being after first seeing SP's ending; repetitive, revenge-driven BS.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 12,243
    If this is true, then B25 will be exactly the kind of film that I was afraid of it being after first seeing SP's ending; repetitive, revenge-driven BS.

I agree. If these rumors are true Bond 25 will likely make SP look great by comparison. If this leak is real it will be one of if not the weakest EON Bond film. Sounds so lazy and unoriginal.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2017 Posts: 4,416

If hunt down Tanner insteed of Bond and M gives Bond 5 hour to find Tanner. Plus mabey created scene where M said hard ''NO'' when Moneypenny and Q whant to go with him. Something that wil save his life when the new Mi6 be atacked / taken over whyle Bond is not there.

Camile and Felix should be only one to help.
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2017 Posts: 10,512
    FoxRox wrote: »

I agree. If these rumors are true Bond 25 will likely make SP look great by comparison. If this leak is real it will be one of if not the weakest EON Bond film. Sounds so lazy and unoriginal.

I think you guys should take this with a pinch of salt and remain optimistic.
    I'm not assuming it's true, but it would not be a stretch to imagine.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    They have to do better than just revenge as they scratched that itch in QOS and they risk making a mockery of Bond's realisation at the end that 'The dead don't care about vengeance.'

If they are going down the YOLT route then leave Maddy well alone and make Blofeld a mad dog that needs putting down for the good of the planet and for the cumulative deaths of Vesper and M but don't make it solely about revenge.
  • I don't think if they go down the YOLT route it necessarily has to be about revenge, but I hope that they don't just go "garden of death, cool" take that and then just do a straightforward Bond is sent by MI6 to stop Blofeld film either. I think how bleak and surreal it is is what makes the book special and a broken self doubting Bond, not sure where he's going until he finds renewed purpose towards the end, is a big part of that imo.

So I think you do have to break Bond down and put him in a dark place to do it justice. But the more I think about it the more I'm not keen on killing Madeline off (and especially not keen on them getting married, please don't let that be true). But I think she does have to be addressed.

How about she leaves Bond because he can't live a normal life. Sparing Blofeld has put him on edge when he hears about his escape (I really like your idea of footage of him torturing Vesper being shown at his trial too @TheWizardOfIce, that'd get to Bond, make him more menacing and make the retcon more believeable) and he's paranoid. On edge. Madeline leaves him and this sends him into a spiral of self destruction, drinking, self pity, etc. Madeline, his last chance at happiness, is gone. So he blames Blofeld for ruining his life. And with no work to focus on, he's got nothing to stop himself from sitting and mulling over the events of the last few films. He's being forced to deal with feelings he'd repressed (maybe he could develop PTSD?) and seeing that footage of Vesper in particular has opened up old wounds. M hears of how he is, pities him, offers him a new job in the diplomatic section out of sympathy, and then we get YOLT.

Bit contrived but more interesting than Madeline dying right? The "Taken with Bond" comments have be a bit worried too. Bond isn't out for revenge in YOLT. Not until the end anyway. Most of the book is just him going down the rabbit hole on this weird surreal journey. You'd have to add more action obviously (bullet train fight please) but I think a whole film of him knowingly hunting down Blofeld would be missing the point a bit. I probably sound picky but it's my favourite of the novels and this would be the only Bond adaptation where I hadn't seen the film first (didn't start reading the books until after CR came out), so if they're going to use it I just hope they do it properly.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I don't think if they go down the YOLT route it necessarily has to be about revenge, but I hope that they don't just go "garden of death, cool" take that and then just do a straightforward Bond is sent by MI6 to stop Blofeld film either. I think how bleak and surreal it is is what makes the book special and a broken self doubting Bond, not sure where he's going until he finds renewed purpose towards the end, is a big part of that imo.

So I think you do have to break Bond down and put him in a dark place to do it justice. But the more I think about it the more I'm not keen on killing Madeline off (and especially not keen on them getting married, please don't let that be true). But I think she does have to be addressed.

How about she leaves Bond because he can't live a normal life. Sparing Blofeld has put him on edge when he hears about his escape (I really like your idea of footage of him torturing Vesper being shown at his trial too @TheWizardOfIce, that'd get to Bond, make him more menacing and make the retcon more believeable) and he's paranoid. On edge. Madeline leaves him and this sends him into a spiral of self destruction, drinking, self pity, etc. Madeline, his last chance at happiness, is gone. So he blames Blofeld for ruining his life. And with no work to focus on, he's got nothing to stop himself from sitting and mulling over the events of the last few films. He's being forced to deal with feelings he'd repressed (maybe he could develop PTSD?) and seeing that footage of Vesper in particular has opened up old wounds. M hears of how he is, pities him, offers him a new job in the diplomatic section out of sympathy, and then we get YOLT.

Bit contrived but more interesting than Madeline dying right? The "Taken with Bond" comments have be a bit worried too. Bond isn't out for revenge in YOLT. Not until the end anyway. Most of the book is just him going down the rabbit hole on this weird surreal journey. You'd have to add more action obviously (bullet train fight please) but I think a whole film of him knowingly hunting down Blofeld would be missing the point a bit. I probably sound picky but it's my favourite of the novels and this would be the only Bond adaptation where I hadn't seen the film first (didn't start reading the books until after CR came out), so if they're going to use it I just hope they do it properly.

The idea I had of using the footage was more to show that Blofeld is a total and utter bastard than to break Bond and leave him a self pitying loser blaming Blofeld for his plight. That just makes him as pathetic as Franz Oberhauser and I don't think audiences want to see Bond sat at home all depressed with the washing up and Dominos boxes piling up while he sits around in his pants watching 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown.

The problem they've got is to do justice to YOLT the previous film needs to lead into it, but of course they've already cocked that up.

Murdock wrote: »
    It's called bantz mate. You need to lighten up.

It's pretty easy to say that behind a keyboard mate. I stick up for my friends.

Are you offering me outside for an undignified rumble in the street?

The mid 90's, when everyone went on the internet for the first time, called and wants its threats back.

You seem to have totally lost the plot at what was a bit of good natured joshing by @barryt007 and at same time seem to have proved Partridge's point.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @thelivingroyale , I don't have a problem with Madeleine leaving Bond because he can't live a normal life. I'm not keen on the idea of him going into a drunken state of depression on account of it though. Smith already gave me enough of this sap with his dirge and I'd rather not have to endure any more of it. Madeleine isn't even worth the bother imho and SP didn't build up their relationship well enough for this to work.

I like the Vesper flashback idea though (any chance for Eva Green returning would be worth it).

My preference would be for Madeleine to be dealt with off-camera prior to the film starting (either she died or she left him) and let B25 start a few years after the events of SP.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 12,837
    Murdock wrote: »
    It's called bantz mate. You need to lighten up.

It's pretty easy to say that behind a keyboard mate. I stick up for my friends.

I think it's actually easier in person to be fair. I think we all give our friends shit and take the piss out of them in person don't we, and everyone involved knows it's just a laugh. But on a forum, with written text posts from people we don't really know, it's much easier for something meant as a joke to be taken to heart. You can rip into someone in person and be laughing and joking and they can tell it isn't malicious in the slightest. Bit harder to get that across through an anomynous message board I reckon, but @BondJason doesn't seem to have taken issue with it so he probably understands it's all just banter. No harm done. Besides he was/is in the army. He'll be used to banter like that.